PDA

View Full Version : Quick Computer Question - Dual Display

Neil4Speed
06-02-2009, 06:06 PM
I have been out of the computer gig for a little while now. I remember back in the day I had two video cards running on the same computer and could have a Dual Display setup.

How does it work now? Can I have one plugged into the DVI and the other into the VGA on the same video card?

Looking for a really simple setup.

jswankster
06-02-2009, 06:09 PM
yes you can run 2 screens off 1 card

Neil4Speed
06-02-2009, 06:24 PM
Great, thanks! Can anyone point me in the direction of a good deal on a desktop? I don't need it for much, strictly internet and spreadsheets

There used to be a place called SVX or SXV computers in calgary which delt with refurbished office computers. Anyone know of the place I am talking about?

Neil4Speed
06-02-2009, 06:31 PM
I am strongly considering this one, any ideas if the lack of a mobo backing is a big deal?

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/265464/fs-core2duo-e6700-mid-level-system-lt-300/

Grogador
06-02-2009, 06:45 PM
are you thinking of www . vfxweb . com? (link removed, not sponsors here)

That is quite a decent little machine for the obo price, don't think that card will let you game much though but at least it's PCI-E so you can easily upgrade. The lack of the "mobo backing" (just the I/O cover plate) is no big deal, just cosmetic, you could probably scrounge one up at VFX or memex...

Neil4Speed
06-02-2009, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Grogador
are you thinking of www . vfxweb . com? (link removed, not sponsors here)

That is quite a decent little machine for the obo price, don't think that card will let you game much though but at least it's PCI-E so you can easily upgrade. The lack of the "mobo backing" (just the I/O cover plate) is no big deal, just cosmetic, you could probably scrounge one up at VFX or memex...

Thanks so much for your input, I might throw him an offer.

Appreciate your help!

Tram Common
06-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Pretty much every card these days has an AGP and a DVI...or no AGP, but two DVI. You might need an AGP to DVI converter, but most cards come with those as well.

Just run both cables to your monitors and right click the desktop, properties, settings tab, extend my windows to this device.

Finished.

Mibz
06-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Tram Common
Pretty much every card these days has an AGP and a DVI...or no AGP, but two DVI. You might need an AGP to DVI converter, but most cards come with those as well.

Just run both cables to your monitors and right click the desktop, properties, settings tab, extend my windows to this device.

Finished. I know that everybody knows what you mean, but just so you know before you say it in front of somebody who -will- give you shit:

AGP
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/pc/docs/article/991008/agp.jpg

VGA
http://z.about.com/d/hometheater/1/0/G/9/vga2.JPG

Tram Common
06-07-2009, 12:43 PM
VGA! Yes, sorry. I guess I'm a little old school with computers.

[Queue Old Man Voice]Back in the day we only had AGP.[/voice]

A790
06-08-2009, 10:29 AM

I rememebr those days. I had a Riva TNT2 Ultra that ran at 4x AGP. It was the SHIT.

Neil4Speed
06-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by A790

I rememebr those days. I had a Riva TNT2 Ultra that ran at 4x AGP. It was the SHIT.

Lol, I also had a RIVA TNT2, but not the ultra (you baller). It would always crash and freeze right in the middle of a Quake 2 Melee!

I believe I then downgraded to a Viper V550 (with an original TNT chip in it). I remember at that time I would go through video cards frequently. I think I had a Voodoo 3 2000 at one time (3DFX rules), and then went onto a Radeon 7000, and lastly a Geforce4 MX440 (which I bought from techtronics right before they went out of business).

I remember a good friend of mine had a Voodoo2 which was such a solid card for gaming for a long period of time.

Oh the good ol days, I have had my Dell 700m for about 4 years now, lost interest in computer gaming (console as well in fact even though I bought a PS3).

Carl64
06-08-2009, 10:58 AM

I have never seen a monitor hooked directly into AGP. You also had ISA before AGP/PCI :P.

sputnik
06-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
I have been out of the computer gig for a little while now. I remember back in the day I had two video cards running on the same computer and could have a Dual Display setup.

How does it work now? Can I have one plugged into the DVI and the other into the VGA on the same video card?

Looking for a really simple setup.

Better off getting a PCI-X card that supports dual DVI.

Otherwise one screen will look better than the other.

Ashkente
06-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

Better off getting a PCI-X card that supports dual DVI.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI-X#Confusion_with_PCI-Express

ThatGuyishere
06-11-2009, 03:53 AM
I am strongly considering this one, any ideas if the lack of a mobo backing is a big deal?

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/265464/fs-core2duo-e6700-mid-level-system-lt-300/

Are you kidding me? That price is ridiculous as it's used. PM me and I can make you an even better setup for around that price...

ThatGuyishere
06-11-2009, 04:04 AM
Here's one for free shipping and it's only $309 and it's brand new and looks better than that ugly case.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3317/3615767307_32f51084aa_b.jpg

EDIT:BTW, that mobo in there has a built in ATI-Radeon 3000 which is equivalent or better than an 8200m which can play a few games like L4D or TF2 at medium settings.

Neil4Speed
06-11-2009, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by ThatGuyishere

Are you kidding me? That price is ridiculous as it's used. PM me and I can make you an even better setup for around that price...

Thanks for pricing that out, I picked up that model on the thread for less than his asking price and its working really well so far. If I need an upgrade I will let you know.

Its just for working with spreadsheets, and watching some live internet data so it does the job just fine for now.

Cheers again.

ThatGuyishere
06-11-2009, 04:52 PM

Thanks for pricing that out, I picked up that model on the thread for less than his asking price and its working really well so far. If I need an upgrade I will let you know.

Its just for working with spreadsheets, and watching some live internet data so it does the job just fine for now.

Cheers again.

yea no problem. I lol'd @ the guy selling his $3500 computer. that's worth $1500 ATM and who the fuck buys a $800 case??