PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Help

Mibz
06-02-2009, 10:37 PM
So the breaker to our outdoor power outlets has been blown since we moved in. Apparently it was some fancy, old, rare breaker that nobody carries anymore. Home Depot and Rona have been unable to answer this question:

Is there any harm in using a different breaker or do I -need- to buy this $160 breaker online?

EDIT: I lent the breaker out to a construction buddy to see if he could find one and he hasn't given it back yet. All I can remember is that it was a Cutler-Hammer GFCB (Maybe GFCBH). Don't know poles or ampers.

5000Audi
06-02-2009, 10:43 PM
just change up the breaker. shouldnt be a problem as long as its the same voltage as the previous one...i changed all mine out in the last place i lived in because they were all old school.. so call up a electrition or maybe someone here can do it for you.. pretty simple

Mibz
06-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Well I can do it myself, I just want to make sure I can use a different, cheaper, breaker without blowing up something.

n1zm0
06-02-2009, 11:13 PM
a circuit breaker is a circuit breaker, provided you get the same amp rating, there should be no problem using a different brand for 120v household lights etc, small things (not stoves etc)

Edit : is there just one lever or are there a few all connected by a bridge?you can then determine the # of poles the cb is

danno
06-02-2009, 11:19 PM
it's a gfci ( ground fault circuit interuptor). figure out what panel you have and go to home depot and pick one up. if it's really old you'll have to go to a electrical supplier.
or put gfci plugs on the outside of your house instead of regular plugs, then use a regular breaker.

n1zm0
06-02-2009, 11:25 PM
^ oh so it's a xnsfrmr that detects current draw, interesting never heard of those.

HuMz
06-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
^ oh so it's a xnsfrmr that detects current draw, interesting never heard of those.

What in the hells a xnsfrmr? but like Danno said if its that old school your best bet would be too replace the outdoor plugs too GFCI and use a regular breaker at the panel (assuming you can find it).

Unfortionately different panel manufactors aren't always compatible with different breaker suppliers (regardless of the amperage) which is why if you can't find a breaker that fits (if its that old school), your best bet would be to update the panel & circuit breakers completely.

Mibz
06-03-2009, 09:19 AM
That's more in line with what I thought the case would be. Thanks guys.

Cos
06-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by HuMz

What in the hells a xnsfrmr?

I think he means transformer (at work we call it a tx on all OUR poles ha-ha.) This reminds me of a story of an EIT we took out in the field. We drove by a pole and he asked what the grey can up on the pole was, we told him it was a transformer, and he replied "huh, I always thought they were triangular'. :banghead: What is the point of reducing an 11 letter word to a 7 letter word.

OP: If you REALLY need help call EECOL or Cutler Hammer for specs and if they sell the breaker. Home Depot or Rona aren't really known for their top notch electrical help. To be honest though, the advice from the people who sound like electricians in this thread are fairly sound. Either do as they suggest or call one of the suppliers.

danno
06-03-2009, 06:34 PM
i sound like a electrician cause i am. i'm willing to give advice, but i'd always suggest a electrician do it.

Cos
06-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by danno
i sound like a electrician cause i am. i'm willing to give advice, but i'd always suggest a electrician do it.

i wasnt attacking you if that is what you thought. I was saying you guys were giving good advice.

Kind of off topic:
I have wondered how trades people can post from out in the field? Aren't you working on site?

danno
06-03-2009, 08:37 PM
no offense taken. just making sure op knows. i've never worked out of calgary, i work at south centre mall. all the lights in the new food court...yep that was me.

Jim Rome99
06-03-2009, 10:30 PM
You'll need to buy the proper breaker. Cutler Hammer breakers won't fit in other manafacturers panels, etc. I can't imagine a 15A or 20A breaker costing $160 though. Must be a two or three pole 50A or something. Does it feed a hot tub or something?

If it feeds one of your bedroom plugs, the reason it's so expensive is that you are now required to have GFCI plugs in all bedrooms.

n1zm0
06-04-2009, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by HuMz

What in the hells a xnsfrmr?

Transformer, it's what we used as semi quick short form in avionics and 'tx' for us means transmit (rx means recieve ) but I guess that wouldn't apply on a house lol

Cos
06-04-2009, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0

Transformer, it's what we used as semi quick short form in avionics and 'tx' for us means transmit (rx means recieve ) but I guess that wouldn't apply on a house lol

pfff avionics......... ;)

that does make sense though

n1zm0
06-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Cos

pfff avionics......... ;)

that does make sense though

actually even shorter would be xfrmr lol, too many technical words/terms in the aircraft industry, i swear it has the most damned acronyms out of any line of work.

i take no offence to that, i dont do much avionics anymore just aircraft maint. now for a reason, but it's funny, everyone in the electronic/electrical fields has a little nerd in them some where (basically half the words posted here ppl would classify that as nerd talk haha ), i remember one AMT kid from SAIT explaining that because he couldnt see electricity, it was too complicated to understand :rofl: . we basically got a electrican's crash course at SAIT aerospace first year, so a household electrician could very well jump on an aircraft and have a head start, wires are just smaller really and alot if them are terminated via computer type pins/plugs etc.

Mibz
06-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Okay, so I know it's been awhile but I haven't paid too much attention to this recently.

Anyway, I've discovered the following:
It's a Commander panel (24 years old and discontinued) using QBH-type breakers. Cutler-Hammer now makes the replacements and I've found all the information I need to order the replacement except the amperage. QBHGF, 1 pole, 120 V.

Like I mentioned before, the old breaker is gone, so what are my options? Can I just say 30 amps and be happy or do I -need- to match the old one?

EDIT: Also, can anybody point me to a good electrical supply place so I can compare local prices to online? I've found the replacements at Bay Breakers for about $90 CAD + shipping which seems pretty good.

redblack
06-16-2009, 08:58 PM
check to size of wire for that circuit. If its for outside plugs it'll be just a 15 amp breaker.

#14awg=15 amps
#12awg= 20 amps
#10awg= 30 amps

Mibz
06-16-2009, 09:04 PM
14awg it is. Kickass, thanks for the help guys!

EDIT: And here's where the $160 comes into play... The 20 and 30 amp models are $80 USD but this guy is fucking $160. *rage*

danno
06-16-2009, 09:07 PM
eecol, gullivan those are the big two i have dealt with

unknownsleeper
06-16-2009, 10:09 PM
wesco off blackfoot, is another of the big 6 wholesalers, they will tell you what brand your old panel company turned into, if not try looking it up on google, and it should say what the company is called, it should save you alot of money if it works

also electrical apprentice

Zero102
06-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Buy a 15A single pole normal breaker for your panel, then find the first plug on the circuit, replace it with a GFCI plug and wire the other plugs from the load side of the GFCI. This will save you over $100 (even if you buy the stuff at home depot). To do this, remove all of the outside plugs, disconnect the wires from them and safely insulate them. Install and turn on the new breaker, and look for the wire that is now energized. Attach this (and its corresponding neutral) to the line side of the GFCI, and the other wires to the load side. Usually I also recommend wrapping the outside of the GFCI plug (where the screws on the side go) with 2 layers of electrical tape to prevent nuissance tripping later.

GFCI plug - $15
15A single pole breaker $15-$40

Way cheaper than the GFCI breaker and just as safe.

canadian_hustla
06-19-2009, 10:34 PM
mine is totally messed up too. none of the outside outlets work. Mibz, let me know what works for you and maybe I can give it a try. I thought it was an easy fix but I guess not

Mibz
06-19-2009, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by canadian_hustla
mine is totally messed up too. none of the outside outlets work. Mibz, let me know what works for you and maybe I can give it a try. I thought it was an easy fix but I guess not Well I -was- going to just replace all the outlets with GFIs and run a regular breaker, but then I talked to the landlord and they said they're going to cover the cost of an electrician and parts so I'm gonna sit back and let a pro do it.

narou
06-19-2009, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Jim Rome99
You'll need to buy the proper breaker. Cutler Hammer breakers won't fit in other manafacturers panels, etc. I can't imagine a 15A or 20A breaker costing $160 though. Must be a two or three pole 50A or something. Does it feed a hot tub or something?

If it feeds one of your bedroom plugs, the reason it's so expensive is that you are now required to have GFCI plugs in all bedrooms.

AFCI...?

Zero102
06-25-2009, 10:02 AM
^^^
Precisely, the requirement is for arc-fault breakers for bedrooms, not GFCI's.