PDA

View Full Version : New baby <3

Pahnda
06-03-2009, 09:44 AM
First of all, not sure if this should be here or in the Members Rides section. Please move it if it's supposed to be there; thanks!

So I've been spending the past month testing and reading about cars with the following criteria in mind:
- AWD
- Manual tranny
- Balance of comfy yet sporty, quiet yet a decent sound when you push it, good pickup and power but I don't drive crazy so I'm not into having a LOT of power. So essentially a good balance of everything.

The 1st two points above pretty much gave me a short list of:
- Legacy (Spec B of course)
- 3 series
- 5 series (used; not nearly baller enough for new, haha)
- the redesigned A4 (I didn't really like the previous generation a lot)

Tried the 3 series, really didn't like the interior and while it was a good drive, it just didn't feel much better than I thought it would or anything. Really wasn't impressed I guess I could say. Relatively noisy also, in a bad way.

Tried a 2007 530xi, the wind noise was totally inexcusable, hopefully it's just a bad example of the 5 series but checking on messageboards I've found a ton of other people with the same complaint. The audio system was mediocre, iDrive sucks (went in expecting that), the voice command system is useless. Other than that it was a decent ride, again I'm not a fan of the interior in it as it seemed way too dated. I do like the exterior of a good 5 with the M sport package (the one I tested) or the M5 itself. The ride is pretty good, as it should be for a car that was originally 90k.

I tried a G, and IS even though they don't technically fit my requirements. Neither of them were 'fun' (probably due to the auto tranny) and while they're both good cars in their own respect, I couldn't really get fully interested in either.

The Legacy was good, but too much on the sporty side, not so much on the comfy. But again, that should be expected. On a side note, the Legacy nav system is one of the best integrated ones I've used as far as controls go.

I originally wasn't going to even look at the A4, because even though I've been happy with what Audi has been doing as of late (R8, the new TT), I never really thought of the A4 originally, also I was under the false assumption it was only available in AWD and tiptronic. Friend suggested I try it and I'm really glad he did! Picked this up yesterday after work after waiting for shipping:

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/4976/dsc00487dxw.jpg

It has really good pickup (258lb-ft@1500), not a LOT of horsepower but more than enough for me (211@5300) as I'm a relatively 'reasonable' driver. Also being the 2.0T it's a blast to drive and returns pretty good mileage. Of course that wasn't the forefront issue in my mind, but it's a nice added bonus! Handling is sharp and direct and on par with the 3 I tested in MOST situations. Honestly, the 3 would *probably* edge out for handling in higher speeds than I normally do. That's probably at least in part due to the slightly uneven weight distribution in the new A4; which is something like 46/54 or something I believe.

The ride is a nice blend of comfy yet firm. The features (I got the tech package on a 2.0T premium trim) trounce the 3 for the price and actually it has more in it than the 5 I tried! The computer system is much nicer/quicker to use than iDrive also, which makes me pretty happy! The interior is also much cleaner now that they did away with the manual parking brake and are using the electromechanical one. The road and wind noise is also really low, even at highway speeds, which is probably why I have my complaint of the 5 series' noise level.

I could probably go on way longer than this about reasons why it's a good fit for me, but it's already a friggen long post! :whipped: I guess when you're moving from a base model Chevy Aveo hatchback to this it's a bit exciting. Also, I didn't mean anywhere in here to bash the other cars mentioned (unless where warranted). They're all really good in their own right. It pretty much comes down to personal choice in a lot of situations. So if I offended anyone with my opinions then please remember that's all they are, my opinions. :)

5fivespeed
06-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Congrats! The car looks beautiful :D

Ray

atgilchrist
06-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Nice ride!:thumbsup:

CMW403
06-03-2009, 10:05 AM
gorgeous car man. i love the wavy lights in the headlights. i saw that a couple years ago in europe before it was out here and i absolutely loved it, and was wondering when they would come out here. congrats!

psycoticclown
06-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Congrats! That car is beautiful!

Pahnda
06-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks guys! Black on black is the best I think. I was debating white on black or black on black but the taillights with white paint look a bit odd.

Right now I'm trying to decide on if I should get the Audi Care package or not. I have 1 year/20,000kms to decide.

Pretty much it's like prepaying for maintenance. It covers the 4 service points after my first (free) one at 8,000km / 1yr. The package is $750, it's transferable if I sell the car and it can be used at any dealership...

I guess I could just phone to ask what the labour cost and typical parts cost are for each service for comparison but does anyone have any thoughts?

scat19
06-03-2009, 12:50 PM
Very nice! German cars FTW.

That's quite the upgrade over you last, no doubt about it. :bigpimp:

Jerms
06-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Congrats on the car..

I believe Audi operates on $60/hour on labour, that is what the service person told me. Her name is Anna Billione (?) at the Royal Oak Audi.

nismodrifter
06-03-2009, 02:36 PM
Ballerrrr

nykz
06-03-2009, 02:50 PM
I saw one of these the other day and fell in love, beautiful ride! :)

4doorj
06-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Nice car!!!!
I really love the new A4's. I was actually thinking about buying one before.

nightfx
06-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Love the new A4's. :bigpimp:

pinoyhero
06-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Congrats ... nice ride.

benyl
06-03-2009, 04:27 PM
Congrats.

I found that this iteration of the A4 was a little too big and a little under powered with the 2.0T. Nothing a chip can't fix!

240SXLUV
06-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Nice car, went to see them oveer the weekend. didnt know they have 258 torque out of a 2.0T thats amazing!!! i also like the interior a lot more compare to the last gen. how much was the purchase price if you dont mind telling?

bashir26
06-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Congrats.

I found that this iteration of the A4 was a little too big and a little under powered with the 2.0T. Nothing a chip can't fix!

what kind of chips are available for the a4 2.0t that are reasonably priced?

Edit: Did some research on google and found this

http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tfsi_long.html
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4396248
373HP/340TQ!

Redlyne_mr2
06-03-2009, 05:13 PM
Nice wheels man !

Pahnda
06-03-2009, 07:42 PM
240SXLUV, all in it was 48k even. Sadly I didn't qualify for their supplier employee purchase program (forget what it was actually called) but I did have a CCC report, so I got roughly 6.5% off MSRP.

I have a shitty story though; car is going in tomorrow to get a quote on getting the bumper touched up. Some guy in a 2002 maxima slid into me from behind at an intersection.

Anyway, the guy followed me to the dealership that was relatively close by so I photocopied his insurance slip, his drivers license, got his cell number and his license plate number. So I should be set in the off chance he tries to weasel out. I'll post up how it turns out when I get my baby back... but to be honest, it could have been worse, I was lucky that the clutch was disengaged and the tranny wasn't in a gear and that he was probably only doing like 6kmh!

Nothing underneath looks warped, cracked or different from factory. I checked underneath an A4 in the showroom to make sure any of the stuff that looked questionable matched up with how it looks from factory, haha. Plus the guy from the service department said something that minor would have no impact on anything that I should worry about :clap:

You can probably tell I have very little experience with collisions :P

911fever
06-03-2009, 08:32 PM
looks sweet! good choice.

drtoohotty1
06-03-2009, 08:39 PM
god i could fornacate with those headlights they are so sexy :drool:

B4tMan
06-03-2009, 08:44 PM
not bad

guessboi
06-03-2009, 08:59 PM
collision in your 1st or 2nd day already? :D nice upgrade btw.

Jeremiah
06-03-2009, 11:09 PM
moar pics :D

schocker
06-03-2009, 11:21 PM
Very nice I really like the new B8 A4's.:thumbsup:

Pahnda
06-03-2009, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by guessboi
collision in your 1st or 2nd day already?

Sadly :(... not even 24 hours old and already has a scrape on the bumper. Good thing by tomorrow or friday afternoon it'll be back to it's new car status :D.

Originally posted by Jeremiah
moar pics

When I get it back, I'll be sure to take some more ;)

speeed
06-03-2009, 11:45 PM
good pick! the redisigned A4's do look really nice :drool:

SCHIDER23
06-04-2009, 06:43 AM
I love those headlights beutiful car, A bit underpower for my taste though, but great color choice for sure. :thumbsup:

freshprince1
06-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Nice, love the headlights.

On a similar note, our new baby is coming next month, supposedly a boy.

240SXLUV
06-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Pahnda
240SXLUV, all in it was 48k even. Sadly I didn't qualify for their supplier employee purchase program (forget what it was actually called) but I did have a CCC report, so I got roughly 6.5% off MSRP.

I have a shitty story though; car is going in tomorrow to get a quote on getting the bumper touched up. Some guy in a 2002 maxima slid into me from behind at an intersection.

Anyway, the guy followed me to the dealership that was relatively close by so I photocopied his insurance slip, his drivers license, got his cell number and his license plate number. So I should be set in the off chance he tries to weasel out. I'll post up how it turns out when I get my baby back... but to be honest, it could have been worse, I was lucky that the clutch was disengaged and the tranny wasn't in a gear and that he was probably only doing like 6kmh!

Nothing underneath looks warped, cracked or different from factory. I checked underneath an A4 in the showroom to make sure any of the stuff that looked questionable matched up with how it looks from factory, haha. Plus the guy from the service department said something that minor would have no impact on anything that I should worry about :clap:

You can probably tell I have very little experience with collisions :P
thanks for the info,audi in edmonton gave me a firm price @ 50k for a fully loaded A4 and looks like i will be make a trip to Calgary pretty soon,that must sucks and sorry about your new car, he's probably jealous at you and your new car and decided to leave some and only cosmetic damage hahahaha

Pahnda
06-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Big congrats, freshprince1! My brother and his wife had a child late last year and it's been a barrel of fun for them, haha :D

Originally posted by 240SXLUV
...that must sucks and sorry about your new car, he's probably jealous at you and your new car and decided to leave some and only cosmetic damage hahahaha

Haha, yeah. The guy that nudged me is being pretty good about it though; I got a quote from the place that the people at Glenmore recommended (Chippy Auto Appearance) and it came to $374.85 after tax and disposal fee (wtf is that? for excess paint/chemicals?).

Met the guy over lunch and he handed me $380 in cash and said if the quote turns out to be low (the guy at the shop said it'll be exactly as quoted) to give him a shout to settle up again.

I'm not too happy about it, but I've been in that situation before and being an asshole to the guy that's in the wrong never helps.

My brother said he took some pictures the day before the bump though. I'll see if I can get some of those pictures up later :D...

Jerms
06-04-2009, 02:00 PM
That's a good reasonable price you got for it.

Do you mind if i ask what options and package you got for your car?

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
06-05-2009, 12:01 AM
Beautiful ride man, just curious as to why you never looked into a c300 merc?

Pahnda
06-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Jerms, I got the premium trim level, manual tranny and the tech package. The only other one I was debating getting was the nav package but I really wasn't impressed with Audi's nav system, and I don't use nav much at all when I do have it available. Plus I could just use my phone if I get hopelessly lost some time, haha.

The main reason I didn't look into the Mercedes is there's no AWD manual available :(
I do realize it's a bit inconsistent to check out the IS and G for the hell of it but not the C.
But, I have a couple other reasons of personal opinion, haha.

heavyD
06-05-2009, 10:47 AM
Nice car and I love the LED daytime lights.:thumbsup: It's about time they were brought over from Europe. My brother is an Audi guy and I've always preferred their style over BMW and MB.