PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes C55 AMG

Mitsu3000gt
06-04-2009, 10:11 AM
Does anyone have experience with these cars? Any known problems with the motor, transmission, or anything?

I know how they drive and everything, I just don't want any big headaches down the road.

I'm looking at newer S4's but thought these would be worth a look as well.

I'm also asking on some MB forums but thought I'd check here too.

Thanks.

rage2
06-04-2009, 11:02 AM
They're kinda slow. But the 55 non SC motor in that thing is bulletproof. Same goes for the transmission.

heavyD
06-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by rage2
They're kinda slow. But the 55 non SC motor in that thing is bulletproof. Same goes for the transmission.

Your definition of slow needs to be explained to the average person that thinks a VTEC engine is fast.;)

benyl
06-04-2009, 11:23 AM
he is raj2. He doesn't fuck around.

Mitsu3000gt
06-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Ok good - that was what I was hoping to hear.

I don't think I can afford anything much faster, and I think it will be plenty fast for me. I'm just looking for comparable performance and similar driving experience to my chipped S4, as that is plenty powerful.

I don't suppose an ECU reflash does much to these? Maybe an extra 15HP?

Thanks for the input.

PS: I was looking at 2007 RS4's in the states, but they vary in price from mid $40k all the way up to $60k for the same car so I'm not sure if the difference is just the state it is in, or what. I noticed the import list is much more leanient as well.

syeve
06-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Do you have something else to drive in the winter? I know all the hardcores will say "just throw some winter tires on, you will be fine". I respectfully disagree, I drove a c55 for a few days in the winter and it was terrible, worse than my 350z...it was so touchy in any kind of snow or ice.

Anyways, I drove one because I was going to buy it, and that let me know in a hurry this was not a great car for Calgary unless you have a beater. I got the V8 S4 and it's a beast summer and winter. Just me 2cents!

:devil:

Mitsu3000gt
06-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by syeve
Do you have something else to drive in the winter? I know all the hardcores will say "just throw some winter tires on, you will be fine". I respectfully disagree, I drove a c55 for a few days in the winter and it was terrible, worse than my 350z...it was so touchy in any kind of snow or ice.

Anyways, I drove one because I was going to buy it, and that let me know in a hurry this was not a great car for Calgary unless you have a beater. I got the V8 S4 and it's a beast summer and winter. Just me 2cents!

:devil:

Thanks for the input. Any car I buy will be driven year-round, but I only put on about 8000km a year now that I'm done school, if that. I am definitely leaning toward the S4, I just thought the C55 deserved another look as I do my due dilligence. My dad has a BMW 545i that he drives in the winter with winter tires, and it is fine - I assumed the C55 would be similar.

ZorroAMG
06-04-2009, 11:52 AM
That C55 you drove either had all seasons or shitty winters.

That car WILL be fine all year round with proper tires.

buh_buh
06-04-2009, 11:56 AM
I believe there's also a winter mode for second gear starts on the MBs.

prae
06-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
I believe there's also a winter mode for second gear starts on the MBs.

always found that feature useless myself.

rage2
06-04-2009, 12:50 PM
My E55 was the ultimate winter car and both cars are relatively the same size and weight with the same motor. Definately bad tires.

2EFNFAST
06-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
That C55 you drove either had all seasons or shitty winters.

That car WILL be fine all year round with proper tires.

Given how some people on here get all excited and refuse to drive on summer tires if the temperatures outside are below 5*, I've learned not to trust people's opinions on here of handling :D

ZorroAMG
06-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Um, summer tires don't work safely at those temps. I seriously hope you were kidding when you said you don't trust people on here. I don't trust people like you on the road.

Mitsu3000gt
06-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Anyone know if the C55's require a ton of modifications to import? Prices are better in the USA even after exchange. They aren't on the inadmissable list, but it does say some models need mods and I know Mercedes is notorious for needing a lot of them.

Hyatt had a 2005 C55 with only 30,000km on it but it's sold already.

Going to test drive a newer S4 tonight to get that fresh in my mind as well.

If only the exchange were at par, I could get an RS4 for ~$45k cdn in the states. For $50k cdn I could have one right now but that's just too much money for me.

Lots of good looking 2006-2007 S4's in the USA with low mileage for low to mid $30,000's and they are admissible into Canada sans modifications. This is the route I will probably end up taking all things considered.

syeve
06-04-2009, 04:01 PM
Hey Mistsu, like I said, just my 2cents...I have no idea what kind of tires it had. It got stuck at a set of lights and took me like 10 minutes to inch out of the intersection, it was pretty icey but whatever. AND, also like I said, I was comparing it other rwd cars I have owned like the 350z and I personally found it worse.

I would still drive both and make your decision, you also don't want to pick a car for the ~30days of shitty roads/year. When I did get the C55 on dry roads it was an awesome car, sounded and handled awesome.

When I was car shopping I had three cars in mind, M3, C55 and the S4. I drove all three and loved every one of them.

The main reason I picked the S4 was the odd trip to Sask I have to make in the winter (needs awd), the seats (Recaro front and rear) and the over all interior quality I found to be better. Now all the decision factors are personal; all three cars are awesome, I don't really believe you can make a wrong choice. Good luck!

Mitsu3000gt
06-04-2009, 04:11 PM
Hey Mistsu, like I said, just my 2cents...I have no idea what kind of tires it had. It got stuck at a set of lights and took me like 10 minutes to inch out of the intersection, it was pretty icey but whatever. AND, also like I said, I was comparing it other rwd cars I have owned like the 350z and I personally found it worse.

I would still drive both and make your decision, you also don't want to pick a car for the ~30days of shitty roads/year. When I did get the C55 on dry roads it was an awesome car, sounded and handled awesome.

When I was car shopping I had three cars in mind, M3, C55 and the S4. I drove all three and loved every one of them.

The main reason I picked the S4 was the odd trip to Sask I have to make in the winter (needs awd), the seats (Recaro front and rear) and the over all interior quality I found to be better. Now all the decision factors are personal; all three cars are awesome, I don't really believe you can make a wrong choice. Good luck!

Yeah I understand, I'm sure its OK in the winter, but you could probably do a lot better than a C55 as well haha. I have driven both cars plenty of times, just not for the last year or so, which is why I want a refresher. The AWD most certainly appeals to me and as I said that is definitely the way I am leaning. Basically its between a 2006-2007 S4 (probably from the states, even at 1.10 exchange) and a Canadian 2005 C55. If I somehow can afford a bit more $, or if exchange drops, I'll be looking into an RS4 from the states more seriously but that might be pushing it a bit.

Thanks for the input.

Anyone interested in a mint Black 2000 B5 S4 with only 117,000km? It's chipped (306hp/366tq) and has new tires coilovers :D

syeve
06-04-2009, 04:26 PM
I would watch the exchange rate, I forsee $US/$CDN on par within 1 year :)

Mitsu3000gt
06-04-2009, 04:36 PM
I would watch the exchange rate, I forsee $US/$CDN on par within 1 year :)

Yeah, I know haha. At par I could probably swing a good deal on an RS4, but even at 1.09 the S4's and RS4's are significantly better deals because they are still hurting worse than we are :)

2EFNFAST
06-04-2009, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Um, summer tires don't work safely at those temps. I seriously hope you were kidding when you said you don't trust people on here. I don't trust people like you on the road.

I've driven on summer tires with 500+hp when temperatures were around -10 (no snow or frost though!)

I know full well the ideal minimum range starts around 7 or 8*, but as long as you arn't driving like a jackass (novel concept for most people on here I'm sure :D ) you can easily drive in below feezing temperatures on them very safely. Of course, 1 drop of snow and forget about it as we all know.

you&me
06-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Anyone know if the C55's require a ton of modifications to import? Prices are better in the USA even after exchange. They aren't on the inadmissable list, but it does say some models need mods and I know Mercedes is notorious for needing a lot of them.

Hyatt had a 2005 C55 with only 30,000km on it but it's sold already.

Another C55 out east - http://www.multiline.ca/instock/

Has 64k, but that's not all that bad on an 05...

Mitsu3000gt
06-04-2009, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by you&me

Another C55 out east - http://www.multiline.ca/instock/

Has 64k, but that's not all that bad on an 05...

Thanks - Didn't even know about that website. Decent price too.

I drove a 2006 S4 today, it's definitely slower than my car (~60 less ft/lb of torque was noticeable), but its really nice in other ways too. I need to find a C55 in the city to refresh my memory with as well. I'm still trying to figure out a way to swing a 2007 RS4 from the states :D - that would make this decision a no-brainer.

Does anyone know off hand what Audi and/or Mercedes does for warranty in Canada on American cars? If not I'll just call the manufactures and ask.

you&me
06-05-2009, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Thanks - Didn't even know about that website. Decent price too.

I drove a 2006 S4 today, it's definitely slower than my car (~60 less ft/lb of torque was noticeable), but its really nice in other ways too. I need to find a C55 in the city to refresh my memory with as well. I'm still trying to figure out a way to swing a 2007 RS4 from the states :D - that would make this decision a no-brainer.

Does anyone know off hand what Audi and/or Mercedes does for warranty in Canada on American cars? If not I'll just call the manufactures and ask.

Both manufacturers honor the original 4yr/80k warranty from US cars (I guess it's 50k miles). The local Audi dealers are fine dealing with US cars. Both MB dealers are total dicks when it comes to US cars.

Extended manufacturers warranties will not be honored and cannot be added to ex-US cars in Canada.

Mitsu3000gt
06-05-2009, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by you&me

Both manufacturers honor the original 4yr/80k warranty from US cars (I guess it's 50k miles). The local Audi dealers are fine dealing with US cars. Both MB dealers are total dicks when it comes to US cars.

Extended manufacturers warranties will not be honored and cannot be added to ex-US cars in Canada.

Thanks, good to know. I likely wouldn't buy the C55 from the states because I suspect significant modifications are necessary. To possible RS4 absolutely must come fro mthe states for me to afford it. Sucks they won't honor extended warranties, but thats not a huge deal - I will only be driving around 8,000km a year at most.