PDA

View Full Version : Copper River Salmon

msommers
06-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Other than knowing that we were having salmon last night for dinner, I had no idea what I was in for. Right away I thought it had been prepared differently, or just cooked better overall...no...everything was the same, except for the type of salmon. This salmon was by and large the best salmon I have ever had!

After looking into it, I realized this type of salmon is only available for a short time each year. If you haven't tried it already, go out and get some tonight before it runs out and you have to wait another year to get it. It's noticeably better tasting, you'll thank me later!

Kritafo
06-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Where did you buy?

msommers
06-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Costco apparently!

Kritafo
06-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Excellent I was going this afternoon for blueberries apparently they are fantastic.

Can't wait for salmon. Will be firing the BBQ up for this.

malcolmk14
06-04-2009, 01:40 PM
the strawberries at costco right now are amazing too.

Kritafo
06-04-2009, 01:50 PM
I can't touch strawberries from the store. Once you have them fresh from the garden you can't compare...ours will be ready soon though. We are lucky to have a backyard full of edibles, but it does spoil store bought food. I can't touch a melon from the store either, and the melons won't be ready until August or Sept. boo.

Unfortunately my blueberry died off over the winter and the new one isn't doing much of anything or I wouldn't buy them either.

Kritafo
06-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Yes 100% agree....best Salmon ever. I will be going back to put some in my freezer. I BBQ'd that bad boy in the snow tonight.

BlackArcher101
06-06-2009, 12:12 AM
Hmmmmm, I must take a trip to Costco tomorrow.

Kritafo
06-06-2009, 08:46 AM
I am running this morning even with the crappy weather. I had leftover salmon pieces with my eggs this morning. I paid $23.00 for a nice size fillet, fed a family of 4 with a small amount of leftovers.

Amysicle
06-07-2009, 02:59 PM
I got some Copper River salmon steaks from Costco today. How do you guys prepare them?

I'm not usually a fan of cooked salmon but I'm pretty excited for this stuff. If you could throw up some of your favorite recipes or suggestions, that would be great!

BlackArcher101
06-07-2009, 03:48 PM
Picked up two fish today. Can't wait to prepare them. Damn pricey stuff, thought I can't remember what their atlantic salmon goes for per kg.

Kritafo
06-07-2009, 04:01 PM
untreated Cedar plank soaked for at least 2 hours.

I like to put lemon slices round on the plank with your choice of fresh spice rosemary always tastes good

lay fillet skin side down on the lemon and rosemary. Then season the fish. BBQ about 25 mins med-low you just have to watch to not over cook.

seasoning

zest of lemon and lime
1 Tbsp Black pepper, ground fresh
1/2 tsp favorite salt
1/4 tsp Ground ginger

Grilled up my veggies at the same time and threw on cut up pineapple for dessert.

If you don't have planks or BBQ don't worry, just put fish in heavy aluminum foil the release stuff is great for BBQ or the oven temp between 350 and 400

the fish will just separate from the skin ....I just use a slotted spoon to dish out.

ExtraSlow
06-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo
untreated Cedar plank soaked for at least 2 hours.

I like to put lemon slices round on the plank with your choice of fresh spice rosemary always tastes good

lay fillet skin side down on the lemon and rosemary. Then season the fish. BBQ about 25 mins med-low you just have to watch to not over cook.
I agree, Cedar plank is the way to go. I buy cedar fence boards at "the Cedar Shop" by Chinook mall. Dirt cheap, and I trim to fit with a handsaw. I usually soak the plank overnight. Then cook on High heat so the plank smoulders. Usually takes 12-18 minutes depending on thickness of fish.
Gives a nice smoky flavour.

Kritafo
06-07-2009, 04:18 PM
ohh I will definitely be making a trip to the cedar shop. I hate buying boards sometimes you end up with boards too big and too small.

I agree with the over night soak, but 2 hours as a min.

Anyone use smoked salts? We bought some in Seattle and I am needing more. I know they had a gourmet salt pack at Costco but forgot to see if they had them the day I bought the fish. For $20.00 it had 5 or 6 gourmet salts. I didn't buy it and now regret it..

Regardless the smoked salts were amazing on fish we had last summer.

ExtraSlow
06-07-2009, 06:28 PM
I use this for seasoning. Simple and tasty.
https://www.epiceriedirect.com/lookproduct.php?idpro=13116

Amysicle
06-08-2009, 06:17 PM
So after looking at the label, it turns out I had accidentally picked up the Atlantic salmon instead but it was still good.

I made bags out of parchment paper (you cannot do this with waxed!) and added a bit of dill, butter and lemon juice and baked it in the oven in a glass dish at 225°F for awhile until the meat thermometer read 140°F. It was served with a lemon-dill sauce and it came out moist, and not overdone.

Tonight I'm going to cook it up on a plank. Thanks for your ideas/suggestions guys!

BlackArcher101
06-08-2009, 06:20 PM
The atlantic is good... but I can't wait for this copper river salmon. About 5 minutes away from removing it from the BBQ and cedar plank :)

edit: It's orgasmic. I must go buy more.

Kritafo
06-08-2009, 09:30 PM
lol! I thought it was fabulous.

I wanted to make it again tonight but got shot down. We had Mimi's Cafe Five-Way Grilled Cheese.

I do love Salmon and dill probably one of favourite ways. I just didn't have any dill left ready to pick! Parchment paper is my friend. I use it all the time and buy 3 or 4 at a time at the dollar store. It's the no fuss, no cleanup method and always perfectly moist.

Kritafo
06-10-2009, 07:14 AM
urgh...went to Costco again last night and they were sold out. So leave some for the rest of us! lol

Amysicle
06-10-2009, 05:32 PM
So when the Copper River salmon isn't available, what types of salmon do you guys usually go for? I've decided I actually like salmon, I just don't like how most people/restaurants cook it.

Kritafo
06-10-2009, 05:47 PM
I will buy any wild sockeye, wild king (Chinook) all rich flavoured salmon

OriginalSix
06-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Yeah Copper River Salmon is also very good for you!
High in Omega 3 fatty acids.