PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Frieze carpeting (Pros/Cons)..

str8jkt
06-04-2009, 11:21 AM
We are looking at building a new house. Just curious as to whether anyone here might have any experience with Frieze or shag style carpeting? We definitely need to stay away from berber style as with having a little one and a couple small dogs it doesn't take long for a loop to get pulled up and ruin a section of carpet (first hand experience).

We walked through a showhome with the Frieze or shag carpet and it sure does feel nice. Plus it looks like an added bonus would be that the wear would show a lot less from a possible pulled strand or fibre from the dogs/kids.. I'm sure its a lot tougher to keep clean because of how deep it is though?

Anyone have this kind of carpet or know anyone else with it. Just curious as to the wear on it and if you would change your decision after having it or wish that you had gone with it? Thanks.

In an ideal world with us winning the lottery the entire house would have hardwood/tile but for the meantime the upstairs will most likely need to be carpeted with us aiming to look at upgrading it in 5-7 years from now..

Kloubek
06-04-2009, 11:26 AM
We are building a house right now, and we opted for the shag carpeting.

First, if you think that it is going to be more durable than berber, you're probably mistaken. Dog claws and kids will pull at the fibers more than berber. Your better bet might be regular pile carpeting, which isn't long enough to get caught.

Additionally, cleaning is more difficult. It is recommended to NOT use an upright with a beater bar, and if you do, it has to be at it's highest setting. Once you wrap the fibers around the bar, it will pull out for SURE.

With all this said, I would guess due to the random nature of the fibers, that fixing a damaged area is easier to conceal with shag. And there is no doubt that the look and feel is fantastic!

rumeo
06-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Where did you guys get your carpeting done? I'm looking to get new carpeting in my house.

Kloubek
06-04-2009, 02:12 PM
^^^ Uh... we are both building brand new?

black_2.5RS
06-04-2009, 09:29 PM
I would really do some research into Shag carpeting. We bought a shag rug for our place and returned it after 2 weeks. The rug shed like crazy after walking on it for 2-3 days. The wool would just ball up and float around the house. Drove me nuts and was vacuuming all the time.

Honestly, shag will probably shed more than your dog.

bignerd
06-06-2009, 01:52 AM
I would think with shag (had some really shaggy rugs in another house once) that dirt and hair get trapped even worse, and it seems to work its way to the base of the carpet instead of staying on top. I too have berber and hate it, the hair gets woven into it and does not come out.

By and far the best carpet for pets is the regular cut pile carpet. Just get a really high density so the carpet is dense, then hair does not get down into it and between the fibres but the beater bar on your vaccuum can still move them and get inbetween them when cleaning.

Ven
06-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Get just regular cut pile carpet, but in the highest quality you can afford. Then, get the absolute best possible underlay available even if it's outta your budget :)

Lex350
06-06-2009, 10:07 AM
Bt the time you buy a quality shag carpet and use a quality underlay the cost is quite high and you are not going to get the benifts that you where looking for. If you can't afford hardwood have you considered laminate flooring or even cork?