PDA

View Full Version : Question on new cars.

lammer
08-19-2002, 10:47 PM
okay lets say i buy a new car, i have to wait for it to ship into town or whatever, DO I have an option of asking them to paint it a diffrent color for money?

max_boost
08-19-2002, 11:03 PM
It depends what car you are buying. If its a Honda, chances are, the car is already on the lot. But if you buy a BMW/Benz you can pick your color/options etc. and it is usually about a 2-3month delivery.

If you are referring to a custom color that is not available, then I would not really recommend that as your resale value will drop immediately on your new car and will cost anywhere from $5-10K for a real professional paint job(complete body color change).

Dope Dealer
08-19-2002, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by lammer
okay lets say i buy a new car, i have to wait for it to ship into town or whatever, DO I have an option of asking them to paint it a diffrent color for money?

Ummm, a color different from the factory options they provide? They wouldn't paint it because it comes from the factory painted which ever color you wanted from the agreement. If you wanted another color than the ones provided from the factory model, then you'd have to pay but you would have to go to a body shop.

max_boost
08-19-2002, 11:06 PM
Ok, I think I understand what lammer is trying to say.

Would it be possible for a dealer to build a car but paint it a different color other than what the factory would offer?

E.g. You are buying a Yellow M3 but you don't like the Pheonix yellow and you request the techs in Germany to paint it NSX Spa yellow pearl?

lammer
08-19-2002, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Ok, I think I understand what lammer is trying to say.

Would it be possible for a dealer to build a car but paint it a different color other than what the factory would offer?

E.g. You are buying a Yellow M3 but you don't like the Pheonix yellow and you request the techs in Germany to paint it NSX Spa yellow pearl?

yes, like sentra se-r's and spec-vs don't come in white in canada or so i've heard. can i pay money to get them to paint it white.
and rsx's don't come in white in canada, can i pay more money to get it white, and so forth ya stuff like that. not a custom color.

max_boost
08-19-2002, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by lammer

yes, like sentra se-r's and spec-vs don't come in white in canada or so i've heard. can i pay money to get them to paint it white.
and rsx's don't come in white in canada, can i pay more money to get it white, and so forth ya stuff like that. not a custom color.

You know what, I have never thought of that before!
You really have to call the dealer and ask.

I am also disappointed to not see the RSX in white being available in Canada.

Dope Dealer
08-19-2002, 11:22 PM

Rumor has it the 2003's will carry the white scheme! Hopefully in black leather too (Only comes in beige for the US with light colored exteriors).

lammer
08-19-2002, 11:23 PM

it only comes in black, red, silver and a deeper tone of silver for the rsx, and premium.
and the type s comes in black, blue, silver, and red
i would love to own a white one later on in life so thats why i am wondering.

max_boost
08-19-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Dope Dealer

Rumor has it the 2003's will carry the white scheme! Hopefully in black leather too (Only comes in beige for the US with light colored exteriors).

Rumor has it the 2004 will carry the Championship White RSX Type R!!!

max_boost
08-19-2002, 11:25 PM
Lammer: What car are you looking at anyway?

5.9 R/T
08-19-2002, 11:27 PM
Unless that specific model comes in that color somewhere you probably won't get it. I tried to get patriot blue i think (dark blue) for the R/T when i ordered it, factory wouldn't do it, R/T's only come in a certian set of colours. It would be cool to have a factory one-off tho!

lammer
08-19-2002, 11:33 PM
Lammer: What car are you looking at anyway?

as of right now im a student, last year in my highschool year and will be graduating, if my parents feel like i deserve a used car. they will pay for half and i will pay the other half, i pay insurance and gas. i will use taht car to get me from point a to b.
working, schooling, and causal play sometimes. then hopefully when i enter my secondary school, i will have worked up enough for a downpayment on an rsx type s, i won't be doing it but i will give my parents the money.
thats what i HOPE to happen if it all goes as planned.

rage2
08-19-2002, 11:52 PM

AMG and BMW M Individual will both do it... but for European customers only. You may be able to pull it off via European delivery... they won't do it if you try to order via local dealer.

James
08-20-2002, 12:04 AM
If you have enough money they will do it for sure, a Friend of mines Ex-girlfriends Daddy is buying her a Brand new WRX in Black with Leather, which your not supposed to be able to get. Money Talks.

kenny
08-20-2002, 01:29 AM
The s2000 is supposed to be available in white in Canada as well for 2003 according to a sales guy at Calgary Honda. I wonder why they segregate the color options the way they do? What difference does it make by not having white available in Canada. Is this a marketing thing? Market segmentation of some sort?

However, I am not sure how accurate this "rumor" is because this same sales guy also said that the s2000 I was looking at in the showroom (this was awhile back) would be able to beat the AMG SLK.

boi-alien
08-20-2002, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by kenny
<snip>
However, I am not sure how accurate this "rumor" is because this same sales guy also said that the s2000 I was looking at in the showroom (this was awhile back) would be able to beat the AMG SLK.

i think that guy was on crack... what was he smoking? i need some of that

OMOYYC
08-20-2002, 01:41 AM
Maybe we should all smoke that so we can think we're faster than kenny :)

Originally posted by crxboi

i think that guy was on crack... what was he smoking? i need some of that

kenny
08-20-2002, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by Cwave
Maybe we should all smoke that so we can think we're faster than kenny :)

Haha there are lots of people faster than I am, my car is meant for sunday cruises with the air blowing through my hair as I sip on my venti white mocha haha--the car is an automatic afterall! :thumbsup:

buh_buh
08-20-2002, 02:10 AM

Haha there are lots of people faster than I am, my car is meant for sunday cruises with the air blowing through my hair as I sip on my venti white mocha haha--the car is an automatic afterall! :thumbsup:
riiiight. Your just preparing yourself for what ScCab gets his car on the road.:confused:

G
08-20-2002, 02:19 AM
The s2000 is supposed to be available in white in Canada as well for 2003 according to a sales guy at Calgary Honda. I wonder why they segregate the color options the way they do? What difference does it make by not having white available in Canada. Is this a marketing thing? Market segmentation of some sort?

I think they do it because of sales trends and history. I was talking to Christine at Lone Star and she told me white is always the last color to sell. Apprently there is only on white 230 coupe in Calgary and it belongs to Yellow_Fly_Red on the forum.

kenny
08-20-2002, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by GSpot

I think they do it because of sales trends and history. I was talking to Christine at Lone Star and she told me white is always the last color to sell. Apprently there is only on white 230 coupe in Calgary and it belongs to Yellow_Fly_Red on the forum.

Theres more than one white 230coupe because when YFR had his already, there was an unsold white 230coupe on the lot. When I placed my order for a white slk32, *every* person at Lonestar thought I was making a bad decision but I've noticed more white cars on their lot that is usually full of silver cars.

I can't see them not having a color available for sale because of low projected sales. They could at least have it available as a special order color (no cars sent to dealers as white). The white on the prelude is pretty popular (granted, it is pearl white) so I would guess white would be popular on the s2000 and rsx as well.

Before anyone says anything, yeah I might be a bit biased in my color preferences but I think white s2000s and RSXs would sell pretty well.

kenny
08-20-2002, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh

riiiight. Your just preparing yourself for what ScCab gets his car on the road.:confused:

No idea what you're talking about! :dunno: :dunno: :rofl:

max_boost
08-20-2002, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh

How is his Tech doing btw?

dj_honda
08-20-2002, 12:36 PM

there was a white rsx with integra type r jdm conversion at Irev.....white rsx's look awesome

HRD2PLZ
08-20-2002, 12:43 PM
My next vehicle is going to be pearl white...as long as I can get black or grey leather. I'm not a huge fan of the tan leather in my car right now...:nut:

E36M3
08-22-2002, 12:18 AM
A lot of high end manufacturers will paint to order. Porsche, for example, will custom tailor exterior colors as well as interior colors + materials to order (at a very steep price).

BMW Individual will do the same, as well as AMG.

I'm not sure about in Canada, but all three do it in the United States. Ferrari, Maserati, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Lamborghini and many others are also well known for their customization.

One of my neighbors has a factory hot pink E46 M3 SMG convertible. It is truly hidious.. My guess is that she thinks she is Barbie (she looks like it).

In 1999 in the Bay Area I saw quite a few custom ordered monstrosities.. one of my friends ordered a 2001 911 Turbo with about 50k in custom stuff done to it, all from the factory. I guess some custom paint and a little bit of carbon fiber will end up costing you in the end :( Truly retarded.

Originally posted by rage2

AMG and BMW M Individual will both do it... but for European customers only. You may be able to pull it off via European delivery... they won't do it if you try to order via local dealer.