PDA

View Full Version : for F/I inclined guys

LUDELVR
08-20-2002, 10:24 AM
Okay, I'm having problems boosting over 3 psi on my lude. I thought it was the charge piping and shit, but I bypassed it and still, only 3 psi. I'm not sure if it's the waste gate, but I'm pretty sure that I have it sealed closed. Anyway, is there any way that something could be wrong with my engine (like the ecu) that would prevent the turbo from spooling more than 3 psi?
This is from a t3, as well, I wasn't able to produce more than this with my other turbo which was a ct-26! Thanks boys

Redlyne_mr2
08-20-2002, 10:32 AM
those things are internally gated...im thinking that your waste gate is hanging open

LUDELVR
08-20-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
those things are internally gated...im thinking that your waste gate is hanging open

but it's happened on two separate occasions with two different turbos, and this is why I'm wondering if it's my engine

legendboy
08-20-2002, 10:42 AM
Ok, there is something wrong here. If this is happening with another smaller turbo its not the turbo itself. What are u using for a manifold? Are there little stress cracks? Big cracks underneath? What about the flange? is it sealing? Normaly u don't use a gasket between the turbo and manifold but it may be leaking/warped. U must be using a different wastegate as the 2 turbos use different exhuast flanges/housings. So I don't think its the wastegate flap as long your mounting the wastegate actuator correctly. I'd check your charge pipes and bov i think.

Redlyne_mr2
08-20-2002, 10:50 AM
you're leakign boost somewhere dude, coudl be a crack in the exhaust manifold but those problems are usually obvious to decipher..check all your lines check the wastegate if you can sorry I cant be any more help..shit I just remembered you have oen of those blitz blowoff valves that are plagued with problems...check to make sure its not leaking because that coudl be a definite reason for your min-boost concerns

LUDELVR
08-20-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by legendboy
Ok, there is something wrong here. If this is happening with another smaller turbo its not the turbo itself. What are u using for a manifold? Are there little stress cracks? Big cracks underneath? What about the flange? is it sealing? Normaly u don't use a gasket between the turbo and manifold but it may be leaking/warped. U must be using a different wastegate as the 2 turbos use different exhuast flanges/housings. So I don't think its the wastegate flap as long your mounting the wastegate actuator correctly. I'd check your charge pipes and bov i think.

Well, I had the manifold made and there appear to be no cracks, but I may be wrong, and this may suggest why I wasn't able to produce more than 3 psi on either turbo. As for the wastegate, I have it closed off and disconnected so in theory I should be able to produce boost until the turbo explodes! The piping is fine cuz we disconnected it and ran it straight from the compressor housing to the throttle body and still I only got the 3 psi. I don't think I'm leaking anything from the bov, but I'll try again later.

LUDELVR
08-20-2002, 10:54 AM
you're leakign boost somewhere dude, coudl be a crack in the exhaust manifold but those problems are usually obvious to decipher..check all your lines check the wastegate if you can sorry I cant be any more help..shit I just remembered you have oen of those blitz blowoff valves that are plagued with problems...check to make sure its not leaking because that coudl be a definite reason for your min-boost concerns

What's wrong with the blitz bov's? Do they have a tendancy to leak or something? But still, that much boost leaking out? I should be able to hear it bleeding off shouldn't I?

legendboy
08-20-2002, 11:00 AM
If your manifold is custom make from wielded cast iron peices then its ether warped or cracked.

LUDELVR
08-20-2002, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by legendboy
If your manifold is custom make from wielded cast iron peices then its ether warped or cracked.

Stainless steel

LUDELVR
08-20-2002, 11:02 AM
and wouldn't I be able to smell a lot of exhaust? Mind you I can smell exhaust while my car is warming up, but if it's a crack, wouldn't it be smelling like that all the time?

Redlyne_mr2
08-20-2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by LUDELVR

What's wrong with the blitz bov's? Do they have a tendancy to leak or something? But still, that much boost leaking out? I should be able to hear it bleeding off shouldn't I?
the older blitz blowoffs valves are know for leaking, there should be a screw at the top of the unit..is that screw/bolt still there if it isnt you;ll have just a hole up there and that might be where the boost is leaking. If it was leakign you wouldnt necessarily hear it. Pull the bov off and seal up the opening then do a few runs to see what happens it won't hurt it to do a few boosted runs

redline
08-20-2002, 11:50 AM
Did you pressure test the IC? I thought that one day when i was in the car you boosted 5 - 7psi ?? But that was when you had Ed's drag IC in the car? It is a leak for sure!

Redlyne_mr2
08-21-2002, 02:29 PM
so whats up did you find what was happening

LUDELVR
08-22-2002, 11:52 AM
so whats up did you find what was happening

No, and frankly, I really don't have the time to keep fucking around with this shit, besides, I'm hurting for some cash, so I think I'm gonna sell the shit and go back to N/A. I know, I know, I used to make fun of the people for doing this, but I really need the cash and if I choose to go F/I again, I'll go buy an actual manifold and shit. Of course, there'll be some aspects of ghetto hookups, but for now, I have to tend to some other priorities!!:)