PDA

View Full Version : future plans to BAN right hand drives???

Big_Fat
06-07-2009, 08:38 PM
hey guys,

i was talking with my friends at school and they are telling me that they are going to ban all right hand drives. i dont really belive them but i just wanted to know if this is true seeing that i want a right hand drive (Nissan)...what im thinking is they might not allow people to import them, and another thing they said was if they get banned u have to insure them under a different type of insurance so u can only drive it a certain number of kms. post ur thoughts!

thx Curt

Big_Fat
06-07-2009, 08:48 PM
i know it sounds stupid but someones gotta know something

BlackArcher101
06-07-2009, 08:50 PM
I can see it happening eventually. Already a temporary ban in place in Quebec.

And give us more than 10 minutes to reply.

l/l/rX
06-07-2009, 08:54 PM
is it because us canadians are shittier drivers that we have to ban RHD? or is there more to it?

You look at european countries (I can only speak for London myself as thats the only place over there I've been to) and RHD & LHD cars exist everywhere and they seem to have no problems with that.

FYI for those who dont know, the UK is RHD.

sr20s14zenki
06-07-2009, 08:58 PM
I doubt we will ban them, the MOST i can see happening is them increasing the rule to 25 years instead of 15 years. Theres too many rhd cars out there that fall under the classic car rule, so i cant see a full out ban. Its called they want to protect the market here....thats pretty much it. Yes, in european countries they have rhd and lhd cars, its because over there they can actually drive, and they dont get licenses from a cereal box.

Big_Fat
06-07-2009, 08:59 PM
so u guys are saying that there is a chance but not in the near future?

Big_Fat
06-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
I doubt we will ban them, the MOST i can see happening is them increasing the rule to 25 years instead of 15 years. Theres too many rhd cars out there that fall under the classic car rule, so i cant see a full out ban. Its called they want to protect the market here....thats pretty much it. Yes, in european countries they have rhd and lhd cars, its because over there they can actually drive, and they dont get licenses from a cereal box.

whats the rule with the 15 years? the car needs to be under 15 years old?

Tik-Tok
06-07-2009, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Big_Fat

whats the rule with the 15 years? the car needs to be under 15 years old?

:facepalm:

You can't import any vehicle from outside north america unless it's older than 15.

Big_Fat
06-07-2009, 09:13 PM
oooohhh ok :facepalm: lol ya it all makes sense now

Aleks
06-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Curt,

From your profile it looks like you're 16 years old. Why do you want to drive a car that's as old as you are, that's been rescued from a Japanese junkyard? Trust me, most guys your age bring these things over and after a few months you can see them in the marketplace section on this site.

There are plenty of nice cars you can buy here so you can practice your driving skills without having to deal with a car that's not been designed for our roads.

weeznah
06-07-2009, 09:25 PM
not every car coming from japan is rescued from a junkyard.Ive have my s13 for 2 years and have no problem with it at all.
you just have to not be a moron and maintain it properly.I cant see them banning them because there "dangerous" because on not 1 occasion have I seen an accident because of a rhd car. I think the ban idea is stupid in my opinion.

Big_Fat
06-07-2009, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
Curt,

From your profile it looks like you're 16 years old. Why do you want to drive a car that's as old as you are, that's been rescued from a Japanese junkyard? Trust me, most guys your age bring these things over and after a few months you can see them in the marketplace section on this site.

There are plenty of nice cars you can buy here so you can practice your driving skills without having to deal with a car that's not been designed for our roads.

What do u reccomend i get? i really like the skyline R32 only down side is most of them have been driven soo hard. And the kms on them are most likley rolled back or super high

Big_Fat
06-07-2009, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by weeznah
not every car coming from japan is rescued from a junkyard.Ive have my s13 for 2 years and have no problem with it at all.
you just have to not be a moron and maintain it properly.I cant see them banning them because there "dangerous" because on not 1 occasion have I seen an accident because of a rhd car. I think the ban idea is stupid in my opinion.

I gotta agree on that. If you shop around and get one that isnt completley molested u gotta maintain it properly. And i think the idea is stupid too

sr20s14zenki
06-07-2009, 09:34 PM
ive said it before, and i will say it again, not ALL of the cars that come here are japanese junkers. 90% of the ones i have seen and worked on have been very nice, and well cared for. Beats alot of the junkers you get for the same price here....look at half the 240s here, they are beat to shit, rusty, leaky, miled out. Thats just one example. Also, there are ALOT of sweet cars that north america never got, the GTR and the early model evolutions are a few examples.

If driven maturely, and maintained properly, rhd cars are just fine on our roads.

Big_Fat
06-07-2009, 09:49 PM
I do agree that alot of the 250s you see out there are pretty beaten up and i dont see alot of GTRs that are beaten up

tentacles
06-07-2009, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
ive said it before, and i will say it again, not ALL of the cars that come here are japanese junkers. 90% of the ones i have seen and worked on have been very nice, and well cared for. Beats alot of the junkers you get for the same price here....look at half the 240s here, they are beat to shit, rusty, leaky, miled out. Thats just one example. Also, there are ALOT of sweet cars that north america never got, the GTR and the early model evolutions are a few examples.

If driven maturely, and maintained properly, rhd cars are just fine on our roads.

Crush all 240s.

Crush anyone who starts another RHD ban thread again.

kevie88
06-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Don't do it.. just forget about 15+ year old Nissans. Take it from me, I've had plenty of then and they've ALL been shit. I'll never buy another old Nissan (unless it's a MINT 70 240z mmm 240z).

Save your money and buy a nice 2000's era car.. you'll thank me later.

Big_Fat
06-07-2009, 10:45 PM
What would you reccomend? Ill have around 12 000 by the end of summer to spend on a car my friend just got an SRT-4 anf i really liked it. Kinda thought about one of those but any other reccomendations?

ercchry
06-07-2009, 10:58 PM
something from the states

05ish chevy 1500 or 2500

02ish navi or denali or range

04ish gto

99ish gs300/400

etc, etc

FiveFreshFish
06-07-2009, 11:05 PM
For your price range, VW GTI 2002 to 2003. Lots of aftermarket support and they're pretty easy to work on.

TorqueDog
06-07-2009, 11:33 PM
What would you reccomend? Ill have around 12 000 by the end of summer to spend on a car my friend just got an SRT-4 anf i really liked it. Kinda thought about one of those but any other reccomendations? Used LT1 Camaro/Firebird from the US. Get something with some torque, don't be a sissy. :thumbsup:

Kittens11
06-08-2009, 12:08 AM
You aint getting shit this summer besides maybe a mountain bike if u lucky.

Big_Fat
06-08-2009, 07:55 AM
I ddo like the GTI ill take a look at some of those

masoncgy
06-08-2009, 08:04 AM
Yeah, so many better vehicles to purchase with your money.

Plus, then you don't look like a dumbass... all out of place on our streets... nothing makes me laugh more than seeing someone driving around sitting on the right side.

Actually, there isn't a person I know that doesn't feel the same... ;)

chkolny541
06-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy

Plus, then you don't look like a dumbass... all out of place on our streets... nothing makes me laugh more than seeing someone driving around sitting on the right side.

hahah me too, i love it

heavyD
06-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Curt,

^
+1

We all like to poke fun at the RHD guys but truth is too many teens don't realize what they are getting into with these cars hence most buyers putting the cars up for sale in six months or less of taking posession.

Redlyne_mr2
06-08-2009, 12:56 PM
I'm sort of hoping the 15 year old rule stays, i really want a 1999 toyota mr2 turbo gts just to have one.

Ashkente
06-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
I'm sort of hoping the 15 year old rule stays, i really want a 1999 toyota mr2 turbo gts just to have one.

:werd: gen3 ftw. Plus I want an ST205 sometime. :P

Big_Fat
06-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Im really liking the VW GTI or the VR6

SRT10Killer
06-08-2009, 04:45 PM
hey guys,

i was talking with my friends at school and they are telling me that they are going to ban all right hand drives. i dont really belive them but i just wanted to know if this is true seeing that i want a right hand drive (Nissan)...what im thinking is they might not allow people to import them, and another thing they said was if they get banned u have to insure them under a different type of insurance so u can only drive it a certain number of kms. post ur thoughts!

thx Curt
No, the admins of IVOAC.ca have not heard of any of this so I'm 100% those are just rumors.

If they do ban the cars which is highly unlikely because they need good reasoning to do so, the cars that are already registered will stay and go up in price

B4tMan
06-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
FYI for those who dont know, the UK is RHD.

The only place in europe where they are rhd

Originally posted by weeznah
not every car coming from japan is rescued from a junkyard.Ive have my s13 for 2 years and have no problem with it at all
you're part of the 10% whose junkyard rhd did not crap out yet. The others are listed in the marketplace, as someone said above.

SRT10Killer
06-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Curt,

you have to have some authority on this to say that,
you can choose who you buy from, you don't know this so don't bring this up please

SRT10Killer
06-08-2009, 04:52 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by masoncgy
Yeah, so many better vehicles to purchase with your money.

Nothing makes me laugh more than a ignorant redneck dumbass ;)

Actually, there isn't a person I know that doesn't feel the same... ;)

Yea the redneck community is pretty large in calgary

Tik-Tok
06-08-2009, 04:56 PM
You always get so defensive when someone mentions lhd>rhd, don't you?

JTC180
06-08-2009, 06:25 PM
I have a RHD car, when I bought it it was in very good condition. Things do break over time but most old cars are not going to be perfect. However I think you should have to have a minimum of 2 years driving experience as well as some special training to pilot one of these vehicles. Someone who is just getting their licence should stay away from these cars as well as people who let other people work on their cars rather than fixing them themselves.

As for banning RHD. In the forseeable few years no. 15 year rule may turn to the 25 year rule, even banning new imports, but anyhting already landed will be safe for a while to come.

At first the novelty of RHD was great but now its worn off and I wish I had a more practical LHD version of the car.

B4tMan
06-08-2009, 06:28 PM
the novelty and safety has been taken out of it by SRT10Killer's type, who you give them credit and he runs with it ... till he ruins it

It is sad, many used to love the idea of RHD ... and they ruined it

badatusrnames
06-08-2009, 06:33 PM
Curt,

My car came over with current Japanese Road Tax and Insurance stickers, meaning it had to pass a rigorous inspection ~2 years prior. It came with next to brand new tires and the timing belt had been changed recently. I haven't had a problem with the car and it is rock solid mechanically and in excellent shape, both exterior and interior.

Your stereotype may be true for some cars, but far from all of them.

A lot of used cars are overpriced junk in our market in my opinion. You see a lot of tired, high mileage (150,000+ km) cars, that have never needed to have been certified road worthy since they rolled of the lot new, have passed through 4-5 owners, and have rusting/fading paint and worn interiors. $6k for a '95 Civic with 250,000 kms? No thanks.

As far as a 16 year old kid having a 300HP turbo sports car? I don't care what side of the car the steering wheel is on - and it doesn't matter - he shouldn't be driving it.

Also, I think a lot of first time buyers make the mistake of not budgeting for routine preventative maintenance and also repairs when something does go wrong (a situation exacerbated by not doing routine maintenance in the first place). They think they can just fork over all the money in their bank account, jump in a high strung turbo sports car and rip around in it and only ever have to put gas into it.

FiveFreshFish
06-09-2009, 03:17 AM
Im really liking the VW GTI or the VR6

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4104302

heavyD
06-09-2009, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by SRT10Killer

you have to have some authority on this to say that,
you can choose who you buy from, you don't know this so don't bring this up please

He does have authority to say that. He's not a 16 year old punk and has been around here for years like many of us that have seen alot of JDM garbage come through these forums.

Aleks
06-09-2009, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

He does have authority to say that. He's not a 16 year old punk and has been around here for years like many of us that have seen alot of JDM garbage come through these forums.

Thanks haha

I was just trying to make him think twice about having an old RHD as his first ride. I understand these cars are very popular with high school teens. We were all there once :burnout:

SRT10Killer
06-09-2009, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Only get defensive when rednecks think their random opinion actually means anything

Big_Fat
06-09-2009, 08:14 AM

Thanks haha

I was just trying to make him think twice about having an old RHD as his first ride. I understand these cars are very popular with high school teens. We were all there once :burnout:

You definatley made me think twice. I no longer intend to buy a RHD car. Like someone else said i can get a better newer car for my price range. Something like a GTI or a RSX

SRT10Killer
06-09-2009, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by B4tMan
the novelty and safety has been taken out of it by SRT10Killer's type, who you give them credit and he runs with it ... till he ruins it

It is sad, many used to love the idea of RHD ... and they ruined it
rofl you idiot, I'm one of the only people defending RHD cars on this forum

do a quick search on "rhd ban" on this forum before you come to conclusions

FullMetal
06-09-2009, 08:26 AM
I call a vote to boost the right for RHD cars to be at least 25 years old and over to drive such cars, cuz like all of u mostly see they are being driven by douche bags in highschool and not mature enough to control it, as to say they are mostly sports cars that are being driven and that they are RHD

n1zm0
06-09-2009, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

lol dont even start with him, your opinion is irrelevant.. in fact every beyond 'redneck's opinion is useless, he doesn't waste time on 'nobody's'.

when it comes to JDM anything he's right there swinging fists with all who speak up with a comment. cries for help on other forums then comes here as a JDM know-it-all.

but dont worry, this is coming from a guy who couldn't tell if he had ABS in his car so instead of looking for an ABS module under the hood, he slid down an icy hill in bald summer tires to find out. ha guys

:clap: for the self proclaimed genius..

masoncgy
06-09-2009, 09:38 AM
Nothing makes me laugh more than a ignorant redneck dumbass ;)

:bullshit:

I'm certain they don't make you laugh. You probably get all flustered... just like here...

Yea the redneck community is pretty large in calgary

:cry: = you.

SRT10Killer
06-13-2009, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0

lol dont even start with him, your opinion is irrelevant.. in fact every beyond 'redneck's opinion is useless, he doesn't waste time on 'nobody's'.

It doesn't matter unless you actually have authority, and by that I don't mean driving on the same road with RHD vehicles on it.

when it comes to JDM anything he's right there swinging fists with all who speak up with a comment. cries for help on other forums then comes here as a JDM know-it-all.

Just ignorant/retard comments. Pretty sure I will cry for help on a specific forum every time I get a new car....

but dont worry, this is coming from a guy who couldn't tell if he had ABS in his car so instead of looking for an ABS module under the hood

I didn't have the car with me dumbass, it was in transit, how could I find this out if I don't have the car yet, oh wait the forum....

he slid down an icy hill in bald summer tires to find out. ha guys

Good summer tires, but try it yourself with RWD and summer tires in mid January.

find out what?

:clap: for the self proclaimed genius..

honda for life bro :thumbsup:

Importz
06-13-2009, 10:53 PM
I hope they do ban rhd's... 90% who drive those are douchebags thinking they are driving a ferrari or something... :)

black13
06-13-2009, 11:02 PM
Why let a bunch of teens ruin the experience for everyone else? A bad driver is a bad driver and they are dangerous in any car they drive.

And regardless I've rarely seen RHD being driven badly.

badatusrnames
06-14-2009, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Importz
I hope they do ban rhd's... 90% who drive those are douchebags thinking they are driving a ferrari or something... :)

If they ban these cars, it's not like these people are going to disappear along with them. They'll find something else to drive stupidly in.

Importz
06-14-2009, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

If they ban these cars, it's not like these people are going to disappear along with them. They'll find something else to drive stupidly in.

damn ur right.. lol... :facepalm: I take my post back...

FullMetal
06-14-2009, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by black13
Why let a bunch of teens ruin the experience for everyone else? A bad driver is a bad driver and they are dangerous in any car they drive.

And regardless I've rarely seen RHD being driven badly.

come to the SE or NE lol

R!zz0
06-14-2009, 11:40 AM
They'll find something else to drive stupidly in.

Yeah like Echo, sunflower, cavalier and maybe, just maybe a VW Beetle.

badatusrnames
06-14-2009, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by R!zz0

Yeah like Echo, sunflower, cavalier and maybe, just maybe a VW Beetle.

5L Mustangs, Third Gen V8 Camaros, etc. those were the cheap sports cars guys drove like idiots in before RHD was available when I was in High School...

89s1
06-14-2009, 12:26 PM
$6k for a '95 Civic with 250,000 kms? No thanks.

Congrats to you. In a thread this stupid you managed to make the stupidest comment by far. :thumbsup:

badatusrnames
06-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by 89s1

Congrats to you. In a thread this stupid you managed to make the stupidest comment by far. :thumbsup:

Ever heard of hyperbole?

89s1
06-14-2009, 12:42 PM
Sure have.

hyperbole would have been saying 12k or something that is actually outrageous.

I only made the comment hoping to get called a fanboy or something upon seeing my "What I drive:"

:nut:

SRT10Killer
06-14-2009, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Importz
90% who drive those are douchebags thinking they are driving a ferrari or something... :)
you are right, but I think the percentage has decreased dramatically over the past 2 years because those who had rhd cars that thought they were ferraris wrapped their cars around light posts (for example those 2 180's that made the news headlines) etc...

B4tMan
06-14-2009, 09:22 PM
Worst case scenario : ban will affect new imports. They cannot affect already registered autos.

Relax

Nissan_Fanboy
06-14-2009, 09:24 PM
DOES THAT MEAN MAILMEN WILL BE ILLEGAL !!!

B4tMan
06-14-2009, 09:37 PM
DOES THAT MEAN MAILMEN WILL BE ILLEGAL !!!

No ... but they will be forced to drive in reverse

Big_Fat
06-15-2009, 10:12 AM

you are right, but I think the percentage has decreased dramatically over the past 2 years because those who had rhd cars that thought they were ferraris wrapped their cars around light posts (for example those 2 180's that made the news headlines) etc...

was it that blue 180? the guy was like 17 driving on a suspended license i think

redsrt4
06-15-2009, 06:30 PM
can we import cars from philippines?? which they are converting RHD to LHD CARS..

check this site,, it's all LHD DRIVE R33 SKYLINE
http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/classifieds+directory/id/3/q/skyline/Cars+/+Automotives

http://www.olx.com.ph/q/nissan-skyline/c-378

badatusrnames
06-15-2009, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by redsrt4
can we import cars from philippines?? which they are converting RHD to LHD CARS..

check this site,, it's all LHD DRIVE R33 SKYLINE
http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/classifieds+directory/id/3/q/skyline/Cars+/+Automotives

If it's greater than 15 years old - yes. The Middle East might have some conversions as well...

Importz
06-15-2009, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by B4tMan

No ... but they will be forced to drive in reverse

lol

redsrt4
06-15-2009, 06:36 PM
NISSAN'S SILVIA LHD
http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/classifieds+directory/id/3/q/silvia/Cars+/+Automotives

SRT10Killer
06-16-2009, 08:40 AM

was it that blue 180? the guy was like 17 driving on a suspended license i think
yes he was driving with a suspended license and no insurance, there was also 1 more 180 that was in a similar situation within a week time frame of this blue one

01RedDX
06-16-2009, 09:11 AM
RHD belongs at the track.

Russia tried to ban RHD and the only reason they didn't is because of the sheer amount of RHD on the streets of some of the eastern cities and towns, it would have severely restricted the population. But the fact that they even tried to ban it in a country where anything goes, traffic-wise, speaks volumes about the problems that RHD's can create.

JTC180
06-16-2009, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

Russia tried to ban RHD and the only reason they didn't is because of the sheer amount of RHD on the streets of some of the eastern cities and towns, it would have severely restricted the population. But the fact that they even tried to ban it in a country where anything goes, traffic-wise, speaks volumes about the problems that RHD's can create.

RHDs dont create problems, drivers who buy them and are "underqualified"/"douchebags" are the problems.

Canada needs to stop the flow of rhds, and limit new importation, I see more and more of them on the market everyday for young kids to get ahold of. Plus with so many comming in the prices will drop making them even more attainable to the younger crowd.

badatusrnames
06-16-2009, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

The motivation was more political/economic. The popularity of cheap imports was hurting Russia's domestic auto industry.

JAYMEZ
06-16-2009, 10:08 AM
Wow we are at this once again , for the 1000 times this year... Are you guys serious ? This has been beaten to death , resurrected and beaten to death again.. None of you are going to chance your opinions on the matter , so stop trying to convince each other , its not going to work.

sh0ko
06-16-2009, 10:09 AM
^ty

i was just gonna say .. mod plz kill this thread b4 it gets outta hand

truly beating a dead horse
http://nefariouslabs.r30.net/Dead%20Horse.jpg

tentacles
06-16-2009, 10:19 AM
The Russian government would never have anything other than the interests of ordinary Russians in mind when making laws. If the Russian government does it then obviously we should too.

01RedDX
06-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Their motivation is not relevant, there are two traffic systems in the world and most vehicles are designed for only one of the two systems.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/1899/300pxcountriesdrivingon.png

RHD vehicles belong on the blue part of the map.

:closed:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-16-2009, 11:01 AM
:closed:

Trini
06-16-2009, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by redsrt4
NISSAN'S SILVIA LHD
http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/classifieds+directory/id/3/q/silvia/Cars+/+Automotives

good find!