PDA

View Full Version : Red Light Camera Program Expands

kenny
10-28-2003, 06:40 PM
Hmmm looks like even more intersections now will not have an actual camera, just the flash.

***snip***

CALGARY POLICE SERVICE NEWS RELEASE

To address community concerns about unsafe driving, promote
safe driving practices, and reduce injuries and deaths caused
by drivers running red lights, the Calgary Police Service
Traffic Section is expanding the Red Light Camera Program.

The number of red light camera-ready intersections is being
increased from 30 to 36, while the number of red light
cameras is staying at 24.

The 36 camera-ready intersections were strategically chosen
by the Traffic Section based on a thorough analysis of each
intersection. The following criteria were used in the
analysis:

- number of collisions - including fatal, injury and property
damage collisions
- severity and frequency of collisions
- violation rate
- traffic volumes
- size of the intersection
- restriction of conventional enforcement due to safety
issues
- community concerns about the intersection.

A Traffic Section analysis of data collected over the past
three years on the initial fifteen red light camera
intersections showed a 21 per cent reduction in all right
angle, property damage and injury collisions, a 100 per cent
reduction in fatal collisions and a 37 per cent reduction in
injuries. This data supports the continuation and development
of the red light program.

The red light camera-ready intersections are:

Macleod Tr at 162 Ave SW
Macleod Tr at 12 Ave SE
John Laurie Bv at 53 St NW
Center St at 20 Ave NE
68 St at 16 Ave NE
Sarcee Tr at Richmond Rd SW
4 St at 6 Ave SW
61 Ave at Barlow Tr SE
Crowchild Tr at 24 Ave NW
11 Ave at 4 St SW
11 Ave at 14 St SW
17 Ave at 44 St SE
14 St at Heritage Dr SW
14 St at Northmount Dr NW
64 Ave at 4 St NE
Anderson Rd at Acadia Dr SE
9 Ave at 11 St SW
Barlow Tr at 32 Ave NE
52 St at 32 Ave NE
Bowness Rd at Shaganappi Tr NW
Canyon Meadows at Bow Bottom Tr SE
Southland Dr at Acadia Dr SE
Fairmount Dr at Southland Dr SE
Elbow Dr at Southland Dr SW
Beddington Bv at Center St NW
Falconridge Bv at 64 Ave NE
1 St at 17 Ave SE
Barlow Tr at Mcknight Bv NE
Barlow Tr at Center Ave NE
Mcknight Bv at Edmonton Tr NE
16 Ave at 10 St NW
Shaganappi Tr at Northland Dr NW
Blackfoot Tr at 42 St SE
Memorial Dr at 52 St SE
Memorial Dr at 28 St SE
Macleod Tr at 7 Ave SE

The fine for running a red light is $287, regardless of the
enforcement technology used. However, three demerit points
are also issued if a motorist is stopped by a police officer.

The Traffic Section's goals are to educate drivers, create
awareness through enforcement, and foster safety at our
intersections. The Calgary Police Service works in
partnership with the City of Calgary to ensure that the red
light program addresses the needs of the community and
assists in the creation of a safe driving environment.

RELEASED BY THE PUBLIC AFFAIRS/MEDIA RELATIONS UNIT FOR SGT.
C. MARSH.

Ben
10-28-2003, 09:56 PM
right on!

/////AMG
10-28-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Ben
right on!

:werd: I second that. Fine seems reasonable too.

Ben
10-28-2003, 10:07 PM
I'm sorry, but I hate people who run reds, those who know me well know why I get so angry at those people and Drunk Drivers...and combinations of those two.

RIP Amanda.

Khyron
10-29-2003, 12:30 PM
I'm all for it as long as they don't tag people that are right on the line. It's not the guys blowing yellows turning red causing accidents.

Khyron

MerfBall
10-29-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
I'm all for it as long as they don't tag people that are right on the line. It's not the guys blowing yellows turning red causing accidents.

Khyron

You'd be surprised how many accidents are caused by people trying to beat an amber light. And serious accidents at that.

Khyron
10-29-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by MerfBall

You'd be surprised how many accidents are caused by people trying to beat an amber light. And serious accidents at that.

How tho? The lights already have the delay from 1 side going red, to the other side going green.

I'm not saying it can never happen, but I'll say I'm far more worried about guys going through reds 20 seconds after it's red than 1 second after it's red.

Khyron

LUDELVR
10-29-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by kenny
The Traffic Section's goals are to educate drivers, create
awareness through enforcement, and foster safety at our
intersections.

RELEASED BY THE PUBLIC AFFAIRS/MEDIA RELATIONS UNIT FOR SGT.
C. MARSH.

I think they forgot "to increase revenues so that the CPS can dive around in the money like Scrooge Mcduck!"

hahahaha:rofl:

Ben
10-29-2003, 06:10 PM

How tho? The lights already have the delay from 1 side going red, to the other side going green.

I'm not saying it can never happen, but I'll say I'm far more worried about guys going through reds 20 seconds after it's red than 1 second after it's red.

Khyron

think its based on the fact that a percentage of people who consitiantly run yellows will eventually start running reds. its a statistical trend.

/////AMG
10-29-2003, 06:13 PM
People who are stuck at a red are watching the other lights that are green, and as soon as it goes to amber they gas it. And then you have people who are trying to beat the amber light, this causes a accident. :thumbsdow

EK 2.0
10-29-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by LUDELVR

I think they forgot "to increase revenues so that the CPS can dive around in the money like Scrooge Mcduck!"

hahahaha:rofl:

They really dive??...Gee, I thought that was an Urban Legend...:D

Sky
10-29-2003, 08:02 PM
what if the road is slippery like some unexpected ice and I can't stop... "FLASH" there goes $287 flying out my pocket.

powerslave
10-29-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Sky
what if the road is slippery like some unexpected ice and I can't stop... "FLASH" there goes $287 flying out my pocket.

Good point. Today, I saw people slide through red ligth on intersections on more than one occasion. The intersections did not have a red light camera, but it'd be totally unfair if it did take your picture while you're sliding through an intersection, because no matter how careful you are, and no matter how slowly you drive, it can still happen.

illeagle
10-29-2003, 08:38 PM
I don't know if this is true, but, I was told that there are only so many actual camera's. The cops just move them from box to box. So one day you'll run the light, your freaking out, but little did you know the box is empty!

That.Guy.S30
10-29-2003, 09:20 PM
illeagle what you said was true..
and sky good piont.. theres no way in hell that im goin to stop or try to stop when the roads are horrible.. i wonder if you can fight it?

Ben
10-29-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Sky

Originally posted by powerslave

Good point. Today, I saw people slide through red ligth on intersections on more than one occasion. The intersections did not have a red light camera, but it'd be totally unfair if it did take your picture while you're sliding through an intersection, because no matter how careful you are, and no matter how slowly you drive, it can still happen.

Originally posted by surfertech
illeagle what you said was true..
and sky good piont.. theres no way in hell that im goin to stop or try to stop when the roads are horrible.. i wonder if you can fight it?

then you're still at fault for driving too fast or inappropriatly for the conditions!

As a licenced driver in this province you are to allow for enough time to stop for anything, and it doesn't care if its ice out or not. People like these cause accidents sliding through intersections wasting cars.

If you've got good tired and are taking it cool, you should have no problem stopping in time.

Sky
10-29-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Ben

then you're still at fault for driving too fast or inappropriatly for the conditions!

As a licenced driver in this province you are to allow for enough time to stop for anything, and it doesn't care if its ice out or not. People like these cause accidents sliding through intersections wasting cars.

If you've got good tired and are taking it cool, you should have no problem stopping in time.

Thats right Ben, with my four snow tires and good judgement I can stop in time.so can everyone else. The worst case is when there is a big truck riding your ass and you know he won't be able to stop then what should I think? "I have good tires and I can stop, who cares if someone rear ends me and its their fault anyways" or "I don't want to get into an accident when its -20c out and I MIGHT get away with a $287 ticket"
:dunno:

Ben
10-29-2003, 11:16 PM
welp, its your choice. In any case, the Redlight cams good points far outweigh the bad in my opinion.

Idratherbsidewayz
10-29-2003, 11:34 PM
I think that there should be warning signs, or the flashing yellow slow down signs, at all these intersections. This way it will only catch those who choose to run a red. I find that i am scared every time i approach one and i never run reds on purpose.

Ben
10-29-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Firefly/wRims
I think that there should be warning signs, or the flashing yellow slow down signs, at all these intersections. This way it will only catch those who choose to run a red. I find that i am scared every time i approach one and i never run reds on purpose.

Thats a valid point, they should have like they do with the LRT. Flash green and yellow, then solid yellow, and then solid red.

Toma
10-30-2003, 03:22 AM
pure propoganda to hide the real benefit.... MUCHO $$$$

If they cared about safety, then the poor chick whos ex borrowed her car and ran up $2700 in red light fines should have got off. Instead, they made her pay even though it was not her driving.... clear as day in the pictures show a big male driving.

Also, there is nothing wrong with blowing a red light at 4:30 am with no traffic in either direction for 27 blocks ;)

I especially like the " a 100 per cent
reduction in fatal collisions" hahahaha, so they went from 1 accident to zero? oh fuck, is that ever funny..... but hardly statistically significant.

Toma
10-30-2003, 03:23 AM
Actaully, I am fucking bored right now..... I should go take my licence plate off, and blow every light in the city.... see if I make the paper ;)

illeagle
11-09-2003, 10:39 PM
(chanting) Do It!, Do IT!, Do It!, Do It!, Do It!..... While your at it, do donuts in the middle of the intersection, while giving the one finger solute.. *Cheeeese

rice_eater
11-10-2003, 01:38 AM
they are popping up faster than mushrooms...can anyone find that thread with how they greeted these things in Holland i think it was? Maybe we should learn from that...

Maxt
11-11-2003, 09:55 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22495&highlight=Maxt
There yah go...
I see someone has spraypainted some of the camera's... They even repainted the one at 146 ave se, its now strangely, the same colour as the grass around it....camoflouge...
The warning signs they put up are joke, if people aren't paying attentione to the red light, are they gonna see the warning sign...nope....cha ching.....maxt

rice_eater
11-11-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Maxt
[url]They even repainted the one at 146 ave se, its now strangely, the same colour as the grass around it....camoflouge...

that's good then! they shot themselves in the foot for the next 7 months when there's gonna be WHITE snow everywhere and that thing is gonna stand out big time:D :poosie: :thumbsup: Unfortunately all the others ones will be camoflaged now :banghead:

4wheeldrift
11-11-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Sky

Thats right Ben, with my four snow tires and good judgement I can stop in time.so can everyone else. The worst case is when there is a big truck riding your ass and you know he won't be able to stop then what should I think? "I have good tires and I can stop, who cares if someone rear ends me and its their fault anyways" or "I don't want to get into an accident when its -20c out and I MIGHT get away with a $287 ticket"
:dunno: So using this logic, everyone should be running reds because any vehicle behind me might rear-end me at any time in any intersection?

Khyron
11-11-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
So using this logic, everyone should be running reds because any vehicle behind me might rear-end me at any time in any intersection?

Goddamit there's a difference between blowing a yellow turning red and red after the other side has got a green. I'm sure you've NEVER had a tailgater on your ass in the winter when you KNOW it's icey? I've seen dozens of cars sliding through Bow/Sarcee when it's really bad ice. Ticket them all?

Khyron

4wheeldrift
11-11-2003, 11:51 AM

Goddamit there's a difference between blowing a yellow turning red and red after the other side has got a green. I'm sure you've NEVER had a tailgater on your ass in the winter when you KNOW it's icey? I've seen dozens of cars sliding through Bow/Sarcee when it's really bad ice. Ticket them all?

Khyron You know what I have, on several occasions. And I've never needed to blow a red to stop myself from getting rear-ended. I've never slid through an intersection, regardless of whether its icy or not because I have the sense to slow down when the road conditions are poor and drive conservatively. There's a surprising amount of space available to use to avoid an accident on a lot of the roads where this is a problem. I have no qualms about putting my car up on the curb or pulling a fast lane change to avoid getting rear ended by someone who doesn't have the common sense to slow the fuck down when its icy and not assume everyone is going to blow a yellow.

Like it or not, if you are in the intersection when that yellow light turns red you had space to stop if you were driving intelligently, paying attention and not going too fast for the conditions. At every intersection I've ever sat at in this city (red light camera or not), if you are beyond the point of no return for that intersection you will be clear of it before the yellow turns to red. Justify it however you want, it still comes down to poor judgement on the drivers part if they are blowing through a stale yellow or red light.

Khyron
11-11-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
[B] You know what I have, on several occasions. And I've never needed to blow a red to stop myself from getting rear-ended. I've never slid through an intersection, regardless of whether its icy or not because I have the sense to slow down when the road conditions are poor and drive conservatively.

Amazing. Neither have I. I've also never been mugged or robbed - that doesn't mean it can't happen. If you think that you are immune to the stupidity of others because you may or may not have driving skills then you are dillusional.

Anyways I agree that it is a rare occurance - but I still state that there are other things they could do to reduce red light running (as well as ticket enforcement). Ie, flashing yellows, better light sync, advance warning yellows, etc.

Khyron

Gondi Stylez
11-11-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Firefly/wRims

:werd:

4wheeldrift
11-11-2003, 01:40 PM

Amazing. Neither have I. I've also never been mugged or robbed - that doesn't mean it can't happen. If you think that you are immune to the stupidity of others because you may or may not have driving skills then you are dillusional. I am in no way immune to the stupidity of others, but that doesn't mean I roll over and play dead when I see someone doing something stupid. My previous post gave several examples of accident avoidance to save myself from the stupidity of the general public at large. If you are driving pro-actively and pay attention, you don't have to worry nearly as much about stupid people because you can see them doing something stupid a long before it actually has a chance to harm you. Its a lot easier for me to react to save myself from someone elses stupidity than it is for me to put my faith in stupid people to not cause an accident in the first place.

MerfBall
11-12-2003, 11:43 AM

Khyron

Actually no there is no difference between blowing a yellow turning red and blowing a red light. Both are illegal and both are very dangerous.

If a cop sees you blowing a yellow light, you can get pulled over and get a ticket for "Charging an amber light".

Khyron
11-12-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by MerfBall

Actually no there is no difference between blowing a yellow turning red and blowing a red light. Both are illegal and both are very dangerous.

If a cop sees you blowing a yellow light, you can get pulled over and get a ticket for "Charging an amber light".

I know they're the same legally - I meant intuitively. Blasting through a red after it's been red for awhile is far more dangerous than someone that stops, looks both ways then gos (say at 2am) and is also more dangerous to others than someone who cruises through the light as it clicks red. As was mentioned before, if the camera thing only triggers, say - 1 second AFTER the light is red, then I have no problem with the camera. I just think other improvements need to be made as well.

BTW - do you think someone who rolls through a stop sign at 5km/hr deserves the same charge as someone who blows a red light on Anderson without slowing down or looking? The charge is the same (failure to obey traffic control or something), which I think is retarded.

Khyron

MerfBall
11-12-2003, 02:59 PM

I know they're the same legally - I meant intuitively. Blasting through a red after it's been red for awhile is far more dangerous than someone that stops, looks both ways then gos (say at 2am) and is also more dangerous to others than someone who cruises through the light as it clicks red. As was mentioned before, if the camera thing only triggers, say - 1 second AFTER the light is red, then I have no problem with the camera. I just think other improvements need to be made as well.

BTW - do you think someone who rolls through a stop sign at 5km/hr deserves the same charge as someone who blows a red light on Anderson without slowing down or looking? The charge is the same (failure to obey traffic control or something), which I think is retarded.

Khyron

Yes I do believe that they should both get tickets. Coz that guy rolling at 5km/hr is just as likely to get smoked by some guy going through his green light, causing himself and others a serious accident . Remember amber light does not mean "Make it through before it turns red", it means "If your in the intersection clear it, if your not don't enter it".