PDA

View Full Version : Guy with large antenna along Canyon Meadows/Bonavista

2EFNFAST
06-08-2009, 12:49 AM
Some guy who lives along Canyon Meadows/Bonavista (across from the Church&School) has a huge ass antenna in his backyard (pretty much as large as the house).

I've always wondered how the hell that got approved to be placed there? Surely neighbors would have objected? I think it's been there what, atleast 15 or 20yrs now?

Grogador
06-08-2009, 01:07 AM
Obviously if it's been there for 15-20yrs, it's not violating any zoning laws. Neighbors can't really do much, really just the landlord (if renting) or the gov't could say anything. Hams get a few exemptions under Industry Canada's amateur radio rules...

Also, Canyon Ghettos and where? Can't picture it. Google maps link? GPS coords? :D

Edit: maybe he's a cool old dude with cool old neighbor buddies? Maybe they've toured his shack and seen how cool he is? Maybe he explained to them that if 9/11 OMG TERRISTS or whatever, *HE* will be the communications network, not their precious (overloaded) cellphones or (eventually power-less) land-lines?

http://ab.emergencyradio.ca/

BlackArcher101
06-08-2009, 01:11 AM
He probably holds an amateur radio license and a lot of freedoms are given to errection of towers as they generally fall under Federal Restrictions, however it's "advised" to also follow local guidelines.

Here is Calgary's. http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/bu/dba/development/amateur_radio_antenna_policy.pdf

2EFNFAST
06-08-2009, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Grogador
Obviously if it's been there for 15-20yrs, it's not violating any zoning laws. Neighbors can't really do much, really just the landlord (if renting) or the gov't could say anything. Hams get a few exemptions under Industry Canada's amateur radio rules...

Also, Canyon Ghettos and where? Can't picture it. Google maps link? GPS coords? :D

Edit: maybe he's a cool old dude with cool old neighbor buddies? Maybe they've toured his shack and seen how cool he is? Maybe he explained to them that if 9/11 OMG TERRISTS or whatever, *HE* will be the communications network, not their precious (overloaded) cellphones or (eventually power-less) land-lines?

http://ab.emergencyradio.ca/

here - you can see it from the road, pretty much one of the first few houses after the church. I don't know if it's still there, havn't been that way in a while, but I assume so since it was there for god knows how long.
http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww89/efnfast/tower.jpg

Bumjubeo
06-08-2009, 02:13 AM
I remember when this was being put up, I would say maybe 15 years ago or so atleast. It has been there for quite a while.

I have always wondered the same thing myself.

BlackArcher101
06-08-2009, 02:39 AM
If it's in Lake Placid Close, then the postal code should be T2J 4Y8. However, nothing comes up in the amateur radio callsign database for that. I also don't see a shadow from a tower on Google Maps?

Closest license I could find is 907 LAKE PLACID DR. S.E.

Maybe this is now a cell tower? Cause if it's not active, it should have been taken down.

Bumjubeo
06-08-2009, 03:17 AM
You are right, it totally doesnt look like it is there anymore. I swing by there on my way home from work in the morning, I will check it out.

Bumjubeo
06-08-2009, 08:19 AM
Definetly not there anymore.

clem24
06-08-2009, 09:45 AM
You can just make it out here:

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=sgnnq15gw3gv&style=o&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=28995858&encType=1

2EFNFAST
06-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Bumjubeo
Definetly not there anymore.

Figures, after years of wondering about it, when I finally ask it just up and disappears :rofl:

I wonder what happened. That thing was HUGE and there for like 2 decades.

AndyL
06-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Well, it was errected back in the days where neighbours talked to neighbours... And didn't believe in complaining about everything...

These days it'd never be allowed, no doubt someone would be worried it'd iradiate their kid and cause dyslexia or some fad disease - and never get approved...

Neil4Speed
06-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
Well, it was errected back in the days where neighbours talked to neighbours... And didn't believe in complaining about everything...

These days it'd never be allowed, no doubt someone would be worried it'd iradiate their kid and cause dyslexia or some fad disease - and never get approved...

Guys, we are talking about the 1990's, not the 1950's post war or something

AndyL
06-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Yes I realize that :) it's only been in the past decade where all these neighbours suddenly need to call the city to resolve any problem...

BlackArcher101
06-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by AndyL

No, it would still be allowed. Amateur Radio hobbiests can still put them up. The municpal governments aren't allowed to prevent their activities.

I still don't see it in the bing map?

Supa Dexta
06-08-2009, 02:09 PM
I saw a farm on the east end of alberta once that had a bunch of huge antennas. Big bowl ones, tower ones. etc... I have no idea what he's pickin up with them all, but they really seemed out of place.

alloroc
06-08-2009, 02:24 PM
I guess none of you remember CB antennas. There used to be for our five large antennas on every block on house roofs and before that it used to be TV antennas on everyone's house.

B20EF
06-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by alloroc
I guess none of you remember CB antennas. There used to be for our five large antennas on every block on house roofs and before that it used to be TV antennas on everyone's house.

I thought thats what OP meant at first. I thought he was just making fun of him for being old school.

alloroc
06-08-2009, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by B20EF

I thought thats what OP meant at first. I thought he was just making fun of him for being old school.

I thought perhaps he had a picture of a guy with huge antenna on his head. I thought one of our contributing wacko's (ie: zenops) was trying to obtain more data for a new thread.

nonlinear
06-08-2009, 05:13 PM
it's a ham radio antenna.