PDA

View Full Version : Working out in the morning

likwid
06-08-2009, 08:25 AM
hey guys,

I am looking to start working out again. This time I am going to be working out in the morning (pretty much as soon as I get up), and am looking to bulk up and add muscle.

I have heard that working out first thing in the morning will actually deplete your muscle. What is the best way around this? Would I be able to drink a shake before I go, work out, and then eat a good breakfast afterwards?

Thanks,
Mike

Kennyredline
06-08-2009, 01:51 PM
I tried that once, to see if I had more energy in the morning, rather than after work.
I'm not a morning person it turns out.

dandia89
06-08-2009, 02:13 PM
same as above, i feel super tired after working out.. just try after work or school

likwid
06-08-2009, 02:21 PM
I would like to work out in the morning, as it is the most convenient for me, and many people do it. My concern is that muscle loss may occur with a morning workout since the body is burning calories that it does not have to burn up since it just woke up.

Redlined_8000
06-08-2009, 02:47 PM
and what type of "workout out" do you mean??? are you just doing some pushups... or actually going to the gym? How many days per week? How does your current diet look? what are your stats?

max_boost
06-08-2009, 02:47 PM
If I workout in the morning it's usually about 2 hours after I get up. I eat breakfast, sit around for a bit and then lift. I wouldn't be too concerned about losing muscle just because it's the morning, focus more on eating right and doing the right exercises to bulk up and add muscle.

I'm doing Rippetoe's starting strength program right now and it's great for building mass and strength.

Travel_Dude
06-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Your body just needs carbs in the morning asap. Have a shake first, then go. This should help the issue. After a 8 hour sleeping session with no food, your body needs sustenance asap.

likwid
06-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Redlined_8000
and what type of "workout out" do you mean??? are you just doing some pushups... or actually going to the gym? How many days per week? How does your current diet look? what are your stats?

It will be a strength training work out at the gym. 3 times a week, each time focusing on a different group of muscles.

My current diet is eggs/toast for breakfast, left over dinner for lunch, random veggies/fruits as a snack, dinner usually consists of chicken breast/steak/beef with a form of potatoes, veggies.

As for stats, I'm not too sure what you mean specifically, but I'm 6'2 205 lbs right now.

I am hoping I can wake up, drink a protein shake, go work out, then have breakfast when I get home. Will this be enough?

Redlined_8000
06-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Well, it would be more optimal to have a meal before, but if your time is limited then you can do a shake. Try a 50-60g protein shake with maybe some fruit in it. Go workout, and come back to have a LARGE protein/carb meal - this should be your biggest meal of the whole day. Your body is gonna need a ton of fuel post WO and since you only had a shake for breakfast and for pre WO, then this will be your first real solid feeding.

What kind of routine are you doing? Do you do deadlifts and squats?

likwid
06-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Redlined_8000
Well, it would be more optimal to have a meal before, but if your time is limited then you can do a shake. Try a 50-60g protein shake with maybe some fruit in it. Go workout, and come back to have a LARGE protein/carb meal - this should be your biggest meal of the whole day. Your body is gonna need a ton of fuel post WO and since you only had a shake for breakfast and for pre WO, then this will be your first real solid feeding.

What kind of routine are you doing? Do you do deadlifts and squats?

What do you recommend for breakfast after the workout?

Here is the 3 day routine I am looking at starting:

MONDAY - Back/Bis

Deadlifts
A Row
Chins or Pulldows
Bicep Curl

WEDNESDAY - Chest/Tris

Bench
DB or Inc Bench
Chest Dips
Triceps Isolation

FRIDAY - Legs/Shoulders

Squat
GHR (Glute Ham Raise)
Military Press
Calf Work

ZorroAMG
06-08-2009, 03:59 PM
From the research I've read and people I've talked to, Cardio in the morning before breakfast as soon as you get up is the best time to lose FAT.

I'd save weight lifting for the evening or after you have had a few meals if you are trying to build muscle.

likwid
06-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
From the research I've read and people I've talked to, Cardio in the morning before breakfast as soon as you get up is the best time to lose FAT.

I'd save weight lifting for the evening or after you have had a few meals if you are trying to build muscle.

But will it eat away at your muscle as well?

lint
06-08-2009, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by likwid

Have you started lifting yet? If not, just pick a time and start. If you find that you aren't making fast enough gains, then think about switching over. The reality is that if you're starting out, you're going to see gains regardless. And until you've got every other aspect of your training nailed down (check Darkane's insane threads), you're not going to be able to say one way or another which works better.

ZorroAMG
06-08-2009, 04:14 PM

Not if you are eating enough during the day and lifting hard enough in the evening.

WARNING: It WILL however make you more healthy and increase your cardiovascular fortitude. Beware.

likwid
06-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Not if you are eating enough during the day and lifting hard enough in the evening.

WARNING: It WILL however make you more healthy and increase your cardiovascular fortitude. Beware.

I'm not planning on lifting at night. I want my morning workout to be my strength training for the day.

ZorroAMG
06-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Then the answer is NO. It won't burn your muscle.

Redlined_8000
06-08-2009, 05:31 PM

What do you recommend for breakfast after the workout?

Here is the 3 day routine I am looking at starting:

MONDAY - Back/Bis

Deadlifts
A Row
Chins or Pulldows
Bicep Curl

WEDNESDAY - Chest/Tris

Bench
DB or Inc Bench
Chest Dips
Triceps Isolation

FRIDAY - Legs/Shoulders

Squat
GHR (Glute Ham Raise)
Military Press
Calf Work

That is a decent routine.

For breakfast / post WO you need protein, carbs... so maybe chicken breast and yams, brown rice and steak, egg whites and toast... you know.

Yes, all working out breaks down muscle so that gives you the ability to repair it... did you think that you build muscle in the gym?? No, you build muscle in the kitchen! So start eating :D

buh_buh
06-08-2009, 05:41 PM
I used to have a morning routine, and I liked it. It made me feel refreshed and more alert the rest of the day, though I definitely found I was stronger when I lifted in the afternoon or evenings. Just make sure you have breakfast before you lift.

liquidboi69
06-09-2009, 03:04 PM
I read somewhere that lifting in he morning is best for building muscle (given that you have eaten enough to recover from the overnight fast/carry you through the workout)

This is because apparently in the morning, you have higher testosterone levels.

Mid afternoon is best for performance, this is because apparently your adrenalin and dopamine is excreted better (you're still in a waking state in the morning so it's not as effective? not sure.)

And finally, it is the worst at night because you are tired, and test levels are lower...and cortisol levels are at it's highest.

But they all build muscle really...people are just being really anal about the times. As long as you eat enough/at the right times, and don't overtrain, you will never be catabolic.

Also, if you are looking to bulk I would suggest eating your breakfast before, as you need the carbs to burn. Then shake after, and if you can preferably with some carbs as well.

max_boost
06-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Gallon
Of
Milk
A
Day

That will make you bulk like a mofo.

Really, just keep it simple for now. EAT and LIFT.

An excellent site for strength building.

www.stronglifts.com

lint
06-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Gallon
Of
Milk
A
Day

That will make you bulk like a mofo.

Really, just keep it simple for now. EAT and LIFT.

An excellent site for strength building.

www.stronglifts.com
I have taught you well, grasshopper

max_boost
06-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Yeah I might add, anything I say around here, I get it from lint

:D