PDA

View Full Version : rental car - cracked windshield

l/l/rX
06-08-2009, 01:01 PM
So I have a rental car at the moment from enterprise, I didn't get rock chip insurance ($5/ day), cuz I didn't think I'd have the car for to long. So second or third day of having the car there is now a long ass crack across the windshield. just my luck. I gave them a $150 cash deposit. Does enterprise now keep that + ask me for more? Or what?

Anyone know where I can get a new windshield for less than $150? :D :D :D haha

benyl
06-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Won't your credit card cover it?

l/l/rX
06-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Oh I didn't use a credit card for the deposit. I used cash. $150 cash.

GQBalla
06-08-2009, 01:08 PM
you cheap piece of shit - why didn't you get insurance..

l/l/rX
06-08-2009, 01:10 PM
what are the chance of me getting a crack this time of year? I drove the bimmer every single day in the winter for 3 months and i JUST got one.

Oh and btw its cuz i am cheap.

GQBalla
06-08-2009, 01:12 PM
lesson learned you will be paying the deposit

98type_r
06-08-2009, 01:16 PM
they will very likely keep your deposit and ask for more to cover the cost of a replacement.

4DoorGTZ
06-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Any way you can argue the chip that started the crack was pre-existing and the fact that it has started to crack while in your custody isnt really your fault? :dunno:

FiveFreshFish
06-08-2009, 01:21 PM
I got my windshield repaired last week. My damage was only a rock chip but I was chatting with the service guy during the job and he said cracks can be repaired. My rock chip fix is still visible, although it's considerably better than before.

n1zm0
06-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by 4DoorGTZ
Any way you can argue the chip that started the crack was pre-existing and the fact that it has started to crack while in your custody isnt really your fault? :dunno:

edit: there should've been a general condition walk-around before the renter handed over the keys where they mark down any imperfections ,i always go anal about almost every scuff, a C.Y.A habit i developed working automotive, but recently it seems the renting company ppl could care less about what you find, i always do the chip coverage even in summer, who knows where the car/truck in front of you has been, doing donuts in a gravel park or w/e

l/l/rX
06-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0

there should've been a general condition walk-around before the renter handed over the keys, i always do the chip coverage even in summer, who knows where the car/truck in front of you has been, doing donuts in a gravel park or w/e

ya we did a walk around. the Chip that started the crack was right underneath the windshield wiper.

tom_9109
06-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Bring it back a little dirty, do the walk around but don't point it out. They usually miss minor stuff. Make sure they sign off on your return. Worst case they notice and you go oh shit.

chkolny541
06-09-2009, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by tom_9109
Bring it back a little dirty, do the walk around but don't point it out. They usually miss minor stuff. Make sure they sign off on your return. Worst case they notice and you go oh shit.

i think for a crack itll have to be more then alittle dirty. try this.
http://www.staubfamilyinbrazil.com/blog/BucksMuddyTruck.jpg

bignerd
06-09-2009, 02:41 AM
If you bring the car back excessively dirty they can charge you for having to clean it...

I agree, I always rent cars at Toronto Pearson airport and you pick your car up in the parkade and it is always so dark in there and then you pull the car out (I arrive at night) and the next day you find some big ass scratch you didn't see before and have to hope like hell they don't charge you, even though you didn't do it.

I also point everything out to them and they are always like "Oh, thats nothing" or " Thats just wear and tear".... I don't care, write it down.

B4tMan
06-09-2009, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by chkolny541

i think for a crack itll have to be more then alittle dirty. try this.
http://www.staubfamilyinbrazil.com/blog/BucksMuddyTruck.jpg
hahaha I pissed me pants ...

2BLUE
06-09-2009, 05:42 AM
All you need to do is call them and say you have changed your mind and want to add the coverage. I have done it!

Kennyredline
06-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Can you drop the car off at night, after their office closes? They probably have a key-drop-box...if you left no credit card, then it's not like than make you pay for the windshield.

ExtraSlow
06-09-2009, 01:03 PM
Can you even rent without a credit card?

l/l/rX
06-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Can you even rent without a credit card?

Apparently you can cuz I did.

l/l/rX
06-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by 2BLUE
All you need to do is call them and say you have changed your mind and want to add the coverage. I have done it!

The dude said if I wanted to add on the coverage down the road I'd have to bring it in to have it inspected quickly.