PDA

View Full Version : New from Apple today!

ZorroAMG
06-08-2009, 01:15 PM
iPhone 3GS - same look but all the new features...

13' MacBook Pro - same size as the Macbook, same look as the pro...

cheaper MacBook

Check it out...

http://store.apple.com/ca

97TSiAWD
06-08-2009, 01:19 PM
iPhone 3GS, the S must be for supercharged.

KLCC
06-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Nothing too exciting. Although I like the find My iphone feature. I wonder if that and turn by turn GPS applies to the current 3G model??

CivicDXR
06-08-2009, 01:26 PM
yeah, everyone was expecting completely new iPhone hardware... guess it wasn't ready yet... but the 13" macbook pro does sound tempting now for the price... I love my old 15" MBP and was going to upgrade to a unibody, but I decided to hold off... glad I did...

dennisaur
06-08-2009, 01:29 PM
I was holding back on getting a Macbook, and glad I did. Now I can just get the 13 inch Macbook Pro instead!

403ep3
06-08-2009, 01:30 PM
heh I guess my gf is getting a new macbook soon

FiveFreshFish
06-08-2009, 01:32 PM
All Macbook Pros now have a built-in battery.

ZorroAMG
06-08-2009, 01:33 PM
My 06 15" MBP is going to be demoted as my main to my travel computer as I want a new MacPro tower....come onnnnnn updates!!

djayz
06-08-2009, 01:35 PM
:banghead: I hate when they update things so often, makes you regret your recent purchases haha.

Some nice updates though, apple is really on top of the whole game. Time to switch in the blackberry for an iphone :o

tha_bandit
06-08-2009, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by 97TSiAWD
iPhone 3GS, the S must be for supercharged.

actually its for "speed".... weak

ZorroAMG
06-08-2009, 01:44 PM
I know it may seem kinda lame but what would you have preferred? 3G type R?

:rofl:

Importz
06-08-2009, 01:45 PM
pretty disappointing... i think i will just keep my current 3g iphone :cry:

ZorroAMG
06-08-2009, 01:46 PM
it doesn't make sense for YOU to switch but I'm still on my 8gb unlocked 2.5G lol....

I was hoping there would be new design to the hardware though :(

CivicDXR
06-08-2009, 01:46 PM
I'm gonna test 3.0 for a bit on my iphone over next week... thats when I decide whether to get rid of either the iPhone, or the HTC G1/Dream, cause I'm loving my G1 right now... and 3.0 isn't swaying me much...

modded46
06-08-2009, 02:05 PM
the turn by turn will work for current iPhone 3G's.. In fact all the new 3.0 apps and enhancements will work for existing iPhone 3G's the only thing you're getting with the 3GS is more memory and processor cheaper and a built in compass.. 199US for 16GB and 299 for 32GB..

I can't believe people aren't excited about the new features of 3.0... I realize it was announced months ago but still..

Cut & Paste
Streaming Video in HTML
Landscape on most apps
MMS Support
Turn by Turn Instructions
Push Alerts
Pan & Zoom for Goggle Maps
Peer to Peer connections over Wireless
UNDO!!
etc..

Jeremiah
06-08-2009, 02:12 PM
i wonder how much faster the iphone 3G-S will be than the current Iphone. I find sometimes my iphone is extremely laggy, especially with safari.... and damnit still no Flash

sputnik
06-08-2009, 02:13 PM
The TomTom app for the iPhone 3.0 is certainly interesting.

kaput
06-08-2009, 02:40 PM

KLCC
06-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Jeremiah
i wonder how much faster the iphone 3G-S will be than the current Iphone. I find sometimes my iphone is extremely laggy, especially with safari.... and damnit still no Flash

As much as we all like to see FLASH, I believe that is NEVER going to happen. Due to the way FLASH was designed, if I am not mistaken, I believe there are ways to possible to build local applications that embed Flash Player, which violates the right stated by the Apple developer's TOS agreement. Therefore, unless apple changes its TOS agreement. I don't foresee FLASH working with Iphone at all.

Jlude
06-08-2009, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
My 06 15" MBP is going to be demoted as my main to my travel computer as I want a new MacPro tower....come onnnnnn updates!!

I just bought a 24" iMac and I think I'm going to be picking up a 17" MB. I spent 5 years only having a laptop and having recently only having a desktop... it's just not working for me.

So what's the deal with 3.0, When will it be released to the public? Will we have to pay for it or will it be a free upgrade through itunes?

CookieMonster
06-08-2009, 03:17 PM
OS 3.0 should be out June 17th and should be free according to this.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/166311/iphone_os_30_coming_on_june_17.html

eglove
06-08-2009, 03:42 PM
just hilarious all the people selling their old 3g's for ridiculous prices.

hello $99 3g

the 32gb at $299 contract is a sweet deal.

i can't wait to update to snow leopard for only $29.

Stephen81
06-08-2009, 03:45 PM
Well I feel like a dick for buying a 13" MacBook three weeks ago. For the same price I could now get a Pro with faster processor, back lit keyboard and who knows what else haha. Greaaaaat

eglove
06-08-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by stephen_haxton
Well I feel like a dick for buying a 13" MacBook three weeks ago. For the same price I could now get a Pro with faster processor, back lit keyboard and who knows what else haha. Greaaaaat

where did you buy it from? dependant on from where, you can return it.

Stephen81
06-08-2009, 03:51 PM
I bought mine at Best Buy about three weeks ago. I was going to buy online and get the educational discount but there was the same $50 price drop at BB and I ended up using my BB card to not pay for 90 days at the same time. I'm assuming BB will be doing a price drop on their remaining MacBooks to make room for the new Pro's coming in?

Ashers
06-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Someone in marketing must be smiling today...
"Brilliant idea folks! Lets take the unibody MacBook, add "Pro" to it, and bump up the price! Genius I say!"

Otherwise, nothing to exciting, I was hoping to upgrade from my original iPhone, but there's not enough there to entice me to get raped by Rogers.

CivicDXR
06-08-2009, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Ashers
"Brilliant idea folks! Lets take the unibody MacBook, add "Pro" to it, and bump up the price! Genius I say!"

um... heres another brilliant idea. -> read before you speak???

they didn't bump up the price at all...

badatusrnames
06-08-2009, 05:46 PM
So.... the previous aluminum Macbook is now the 13" Macbook Pro (with some tweaks I assume?), and the white polycarbonate model is now the sole Macbook model?

Stephen81
06-08-2009, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
So.... the previous aluminum Macbook is now the 13" Macbook Pro (with some tweaks I assume?), and the white polycarbonate model is now the sole Macbook model?

Pretty much yeah

toyboy88
06-08-2009, 06:19 PM

Otherwise, nothing to exciting, I was hoping to upgrade from my original iPhone, but there's not enough there to entice me to get raped by Rogers.

Umm....price is the exact same, they added better features too.

:facepalm:

That being said, was waiting for the conference too see the updates before I buy a macbook - glad I did, now with the education discount and free touch, gonna get the 13" MBP unibody for sure! woot, no complaints :D

Ashers
06-08-2009, 06:47 PM
It's kinda a logic thing to me. I know that the price remained the same... everyone can see that. However, all the other Pro's dropped in price. Therefore it is more expensive compared to the last model lineup? My MacBook Pro that I bought in November for $2800 can now be had for a tangible $2000 :cry:

Persoanlly... this is good news with the iPhone. Everyone will drop the "old" 3G to get the latest and greatest 3GS, and I can finally upgrade from my classic, for a reasonable price (with no contract).

Zephyr
06-08-2009, 07:21 PM
Was hoping for a front facing camera, but finally going to make the switch to iPhone now woohoo

eglove
06-08-2009, 07:24 PM
It's kinda a logic thing to me. I know that the price remained the same... everyone can see that. However, all the other Pro's dropped in price. Therefore it is more expensive compared to the last model lineup? My MacBook Pro that I bought in November for $2800 can now be had for a tangible $2000 :cry:

word, i bought mine in may of last year for that much.

ah well.

djayz
06-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by eglove

word, i bought mine in may of last year for that much.

ah well.

That's a never ending cycle with technology. You buy something and 6months to 1 year later the same thing is out with better features and a cheaper price.

In other words the consumer never wins haha.

How else do you think apple is making so much money on all these things, they release little updates but lots of them and you just want to keep upgrading.

sneek
06-08-2009, 07:40 PM
eff, i hate how weak sauce the 13" doesn't come any faster. I also hate how the new MBP's are using that garbage MiniDVI. I am overjoyed that my current MBP has DVI output, connecting it to things is a snap. As far as I know there isn't a MiniDVI to HDMI cable.

djayz
06-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by sneek
As far as I know there isn't a MiniDVI to HDMI cable.

Sure there is monoprice has one for 12.50, just got mine in the mail a few days back and it works great.

szw
06-09-2009, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by sneek
eff, i hate how weak sauce the 13" doesn't come any faster. I also hate how the new MBP's are using that garbage MiniDVI. I am overjoyed that my current MBP has DVI output, connecting it to things is a snap. As far as I know there isn't a MiniDVI to HDMI cable.

I've got the mono-price miniDVI->HDMI one that was mentioned that works perfectly.

You could also just go MiniDVI->DVI and then DVI->HDMI, no loss of signal.

dj_rice
06-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Just for those who are thinking about getting Iphone soon

Rogers and Fido are re-introducing the $30/6GB Data plan back into effect starting today for a limited time offer.....

Jeremiah
06-09-2009, 11:40 PM
i hope the 3.0 update fixes the dictionary, im tired of trying to write yo and have it change to to, fuck and having it changed to duck, or shit to shot etc etc. maybe a feature to "add" to dictionary, or for it to automatically recognize constantly used words

LongCity
06-09-2009, 11:43 PM
I've noticed it sometimes automatically writes "fuck" and "shit" for me now instead of duck and shot. "Yo" sometimes turns to "to" or "you". It is pretty annoying. I need landscape mode asap cause I keep pressing "l" every time I wanna backspace.

rage2
06-10-2009, 01:46 AM
If you google search a word in safari it gets added to your dictionary :).

jensv
06-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Typos could suck then.

scat19
06-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Is there going to be a lineup for the new iPhone do you think?

luv2ride_bikes
06-10-2009, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by modded46
the turn by turn will work for current iPhone 3G's.. In fact all the new 3.0 apps and enhancements will work for existing iPhone 3G's the only thing you're getting with the 3GS is more memory and processor cheaper and a built in compass.. 199US for 16GB and 299 for 32GB..

This is what the 3GS will have that the 3G doesn't have

- Built-in camera. 3 megapixel (current iPhone has 2 megapixel), . Autofocus, whitebalance, exposure, tap to focus (big applause). Low light sensitivity better. Automacro as well, as close as 10 cm away.
- Also captures video. New switch that says still or video. 30 frames per second. autofocus etc.
- Voice control. Hold down the home button. Commands you can use are scrolling by. Call Scott Forstall. What’s playing now. Play more songs like this (makes Genius playlist on the fly.)
- Built-in digital compass.
- Accessibility features.
- Support for Nike +
- Improved battery life. Up to 9 hours surfing with wifi, 30 hours of audio, 12 hours of 2G talk time, 5 hours of 3G talk.

HyperZell
06-10-2009, 02:47 PM
One thing that has just come into light is the grpahics chip. The new iPhone will have a better chip that can also support Open GL ES 2.0, whic his a big step up from 1.1 (which is what the old iPhone can support). This is an issue as games and stuff are not cross-compatible from one to the other, which means that there will likely be 3GS-only games in the app store.

KLCC
06-10-2009, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by HyperZell
One thing that has just come into light is the grpahics chip. The new iPhone will have a better chip that can also support Open GL ES 2.0, whic his a big step up from 1.1 (which is what the old iPhone can support). This is an issue as games and stuff are not cross-compatible from one to the other, which means that there will likely be 3GS-only games in the app store.

This makes you wonder though, does a $9.99 app warrant a purchase of a device ($199/299) that's very similar what people already have?
:dunno:

Jeremiah
06-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by rage2

i just googled fuck a couple times and its still trying to change it when i text someone.. same thing with shit and yo

eglove
06-10-2009, 06:25 PM
man, i really want to upgrade to 3.0 os right now (i have the ipsw) , but there are some jailbreak apps that i just can live without :(

OriginalSix
06-10-2009, 06:50 PM
I want to know what all you guys think of this phone in comparison to the iphone. http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/08/the-palm-pre/
Now that Apple isn't the only company that makes a good touch screen phone do you think other companies like blackberry and obviously the above palm have a chance of taking a share of the market, or will iphone remain king?

eglove
06-10-2009, 06:54 PM
i always used to switch phones almost every month before the first iphone came out, once i got that phone i never switch to another, the only "upgrade" was to the 3g. to me, the iphone is the perfect phone, and it's keeps getting better and better with every iteration

edit: just installed 3.0 on my 3g. it sure is a helluva lot snappier, mms, copy and paste and landscape txting is frikkin awesome!

Jlude
06-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by OriginalSix
I want to know what all you guys think of this phone in comparison to the iphone. http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/08/the-palm-pre/
Now that Apple isn't the only company that makes a good touch screen phone do you think other companies like blackberry and obviously the above palm have a chance of taking a share of the market, or will iphone remain king?

I loved my Palm Treo 700w... and when I went to rogers to get a new phone, I was going to get the 750, but they didn't have any.. so I went with a 3g iphone (already had a 1st gen for a while).

I will be checking this phone out further... it looks great.

pyroza
06-10-2009, 10:44 PM
Palm Pre > iPhone

and imo any computer from apple other than the basic Macbook (which is still somewhat overpriced) is a ripoff.

ZorroAMG
06-11-2009, 08:37 AM
^ :facepalm: Heeere we go....

Keep your PC dryhumping out of this thread.

kaput
06-11-2009, 09:05 AM

Oz-
06-11-2009, 09:51 AM
What I would like to see is that getting a MBP allows me to dock at my desk...sure there is a dongle for putting your video through a monitor right now.

I saw some leaked (maybe?) or fake renderings, of Apple creating a Monitor docking station. You get home with your MBP, then situate it into the back of the monitor which turns everything on and are now able to work on your wireless mouse/keyboard combo that is on your desk.

blownz
06-11-2009, 09:52 AM
I just can't believe they have finally designed a phone where you can call someone by just saying 'dail xxxx'! AMAZING!! Go Apple! lol

rumeo
06-11-2009, 12:51 PM
After speaking to some guys at Rogers, the 3G-S isn't confirmed for Canada? Wtf is that?

sputnik
06-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by rumeo
After speaking to some guys at Rogers, the 3G-S isn't confirmed for Canada? Wtf is that?

Misinformation.

Rogers confirmed their pricing on Tuesday.

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2009/06/10/tech-iphone-rogers-fido-canada.html

KLCC
06-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by rumeo

WOW, That guy brushed you off pretty quickly.....It says on their corporate web site that the phone is available on June 19th (http://www.fido.ca/)....should just point the ad to his face and say "shut the hell up"

szw
06-11-2009, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Oz-
What I would like to see is that getting a MBP allows me to dock at my desk...sure there is a dongle for putting your video through a monitor right now.

I saw some leaked (maybe?) or fake renderings, of Apple creating a Monitor docking station. You get home with your MBP, then situate it into the back of the monitor which turns everything on and are now able to work on your wireless mouse/keyboard combo that is on your desk.

Isn't that exactly how it already works? You plug it into the monitor and your bluetooth mouse and keyboard connect when the computer is nearby. Or do you mean you just want a nicely designed dock to put the computer in, instead of placing it next to the monitor?

rumeo
06-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Misinformation.

Rogers confirmed their pricing on Tuesday.

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2009/06/10/tech-iphone-rogers-fido-canada.html

Originally posted by KLCC

WOW, That guy brushed you off pretty quickly.....It says on their corporate web site that the phone is available on June 19th (http://www.fido.ca/)....should just point the ad to his face and say "shut the hell up"

I'm excited

Oz-
06-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by szw

Isn't that exactly how it already works? You plug it into the monitor and your bluetooth mouse and keyboard connect when the computer is nearby. Or do you mean you just want a nicely designed dock to put the computer in, instead of placing it next to the monitor?

Nicely designed.

The rendering (likely a fake) that I saw, had the monitor act as the docking station. The MBP would be placed into the back of the monitor (24"), once docked you were free to work on the MBP but with the MBP out of sight.

This is docking station that I am thinking of.

http://gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2008/01/imac-dock3.jpg

Found the old article that I recall reading it...

http://gizmodo.com/339918/apple-docking-patent-works-perfectly-with-ultra+slim-macbook

pyroza
06-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
^ :facepalm: Heeere we go....

Keep your PC dryhumping out of this thread.

I have a Macbook... just saying. The 13" MBP is also a good value, especially with the education discount and the free iPod Touch. But the Mac desktops are definitely not worth it, unless your work absolutely requires it.

scat19
06-11-2009, 03:24 PM
I posted this on page three.

Do you think there will be line ups?

pyroza
06-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by scat19

I wouldn't think so... I think that the $99 iPhone 3g will sell much more

.civictyper.
06-11-2009, 05:49 PM
got my 13 inch pro today.. love it

Canmorite
06-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Was debating between a BB and iPhone, but $99 for an iPhone vs. $4-500 for a BB is a huge gap in price :eek:

CivicDXR
06-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Hmm... maybe I'll hold off a little bit more on buying a new MBP... My old 2007 MBP is doing me just fine. I read an article that sounds pretty interesting, and makes sense:

http://gizmodo.com/5287488/why-macbook-is-about-to-mean-something-else-entirely

ZorroAMG
06-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by pyroza

I have a Macbook... just saying. The 13" MBP is also a good value, especially with the education discount and the free iPod Touch. But the Mac desktops are definitely not worth it, unless your work absolutely requires it.

Good for you. Let me get this straight: everything that cost more than the computer YOU bought is a rip off?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Shogged
06-18-2009, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by scat19

based on the phone calls i've had, there will be at least 10 in front of my store before 9am, and thats just the people who have called.

I'll take a waiting list though if anyone wants one, you just have to pick it up before 11am or i'm selling it to the next guy in line! Just shoot me a PM. I'll sell them outright too if you're not looking to upgrade or start a new 3 year

tha_bandit
06-18-2009, 04:30 PM
anyone buying the phone with no contract pricing (outright)?

well, if u are u can make a reservation to get one, no lineups....
http://www.apple.com/ca/retail/

pricing without a new agreement is $599(8GB), $699(16GB), or $799(32GB)

:eek:

rage2
06-19-2009, 05:09 AM
The pricing without new agreement is fine with me IF the phone isn't locked to Rogers or Fido. I never knew how useful an unlocked phone is until I travelled a lot this year.