06-08-2009, 02:39 PM
-Anju Restaurant & Lounge

-
507 10 ST SW
Telephone : 403.532.9419

- Food rating 5/5
- Ambience 5/5
- Service 5/5

So Saturday night the fiance and I decided to get a late night dinner. We threw out the ideas of going for some thai, maybe some sushi and maybe even Earls. But I was really craving some Korean.

We quickly decided on ANJU's

Once arriving we quickly notice how beautiful this place is decorated. Inside is very modern and cool like. I would even decorate my house with the funiture and color they used.

We were greeted by the host who easily saw that we were on a bit of date and seated us in a nice private area of the room.
We weren't too sure what to order right away so I started with a glass of Zolo Cabe sauve and a glass of White wine which I cant remember the name just yet.
Our server gave us ample time to order but we still couldn't think of what to order.
Here's the cool thing. Because we ordered some wine and having some trouble ordering the Owner came up to us and suggested some great things on the menu that would go great with the wine.
I myself ordered the Stone Bowl with Rib eye and a fried egg
and the fiance ordered the lettuce wraps with lemon grass chicken.
Once the food arrived the owner came up and showed me how to properly mix the food together.
My fiance somehow knew what to exactly do with her Lettuce Wrap.
The presentation of the food itself came back immaculate. This food looked so good on the plate that I almost felt bad for eating it. If I only took a picture...

Our Bill came to $53.55 for the both of us and I tipped 10 dollars because of the great service.

All in all it was a fantastic place to eat! The food we ordered was amazing and I woke up the next morning thinking of how good that food really was! The atmosphere was perfect! If you have a date who is into great asian food then ANJU should be the first thing on the list.

I recommend this place to anyone here on beyond!
Bon Apetite!

gkAeris
06-08-2009, 03:02 PM
i second this, i go there every week hahaha i lovvvvvvvvvvveee the appetitizers, they are amazing

i would definitely try the dried file fish $4, and the cripsy rice thingy $4....

i also love the black cod they have!!!

kaput
06-08-2009, 03:15 PM

GQBalla
06-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by kaput
Does anyone know if they require a credit card for reservations?

i hope not...

hrm definitely goin to have to try this restaurant.

gkAeris
06-08-2009, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by kaput
Does anyone know if they require a credit card for reservations?

lmao no they don't at least to my knowledge i call in alot haha

Disoblige
06-28-2009, 10:42 AM
Love the place! Their yam fries are the BEST I've had especially with the garlic sauce. Their calamari is also one of the best with the lemongrass sauce. Definitely going there late night (11 - 1ish) just to munch on some snacks :D

gmoney82
07-20-2009, 03:22 PM
Went last Friday after work with my gf and ordered:

Seaweed salad
Bean sprouts
Seafood Pancake
Oxtail Soup
1/2 rack baby-back ribs + yam fries
Salmon stone bowl.
1 Beer+tea
Bill $66 before tax

The service was good and prompt and since it wasn't busy, the food came out fast but at a good pace. The oxtail soup was really good, the meat was like butter. The seafood pancake was piping hot and tasted good, but didnt' really see/taste too much seafood in there. For our main courses, my gf's ribs were fall off the bone ribs slathered in red pepper sauce with a side of yam fries that were awesome. I think they slightly batter the yam fries with tempura. The ribs were soft, but the red pepper sauce was a little too overpowering and masked the flavor a bit.
I ordered a stonebowl with rare salmon and it wasn't bad. I'd say the bimbimbap at Seoul is way better for half the price. ($17 vs $8). The salmon came our rare as requested, but no other ingredients/flavors seemed to justify the $8 premium on top of standard bimbimbap prices.

Overall we were very satisfied with the food, service and ambience. It won't replace any of my usual fav Korean restaurants, but its a unique alternative when you are looking to take a date out and not smell like ass for the rest of the night.

sh0ko
07-20-2009, 03:45 PM
so weird i just read abuot this in the paper. and wanted to try it. thanx guys definetly gonna give it a go now

ringer
07-23-2009, 08:23 AM
Went for lunch yesterday and I loved the place,
The lunch specials are delish and so cheap, I really wanted the sub but they were out when I got there (late lunch)
I went with the spare rib lunch grill with the salad and ordered the yam fries on the side, soo good, and really affordable.
The portions were perfect for me, I didn't leave feeling sickly full or hungry.
The atmosphere is great, it's a small place and it's very modern.

The only thing that I didn't like was the service the girl working just gave off the feeling that she didn't want to be there..
But the chef came out afterwards and asked how everything tasted and was very friendly.

Great all in all, I'll be back soon.

max_boost
02-14-2011, 01:11 PM
I finally made it around to this place and it was awesome.

Food was delicious. Ordered the mussels, stone bowl, pear salad, pork belly tacos. I was so full by the end of this I couldn't move. I thought the plates would be smaller.

Went around 1030pm this past Saturday. Had a white server and I'm only mentioning this because I keep hearing about this Korean nazi lady so I was glad I didn't encounter her lol

Bill came to $73 but I had wagjag so $20 off. Left a 20% tip and will return!

shadowz
02-14-2011, 02:25 PM
Service is excellent, the talapia is just as good, hugh thumbs up and I am going there tonight!!

Disoblige
02-20-2011, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

Went around 1030pm this past Saturday. Had a white server and I'm only mentioning this because I keep hearing about this Korean nazi lady so I was glad I didn't encounter her lol

Every time I think about her I just want to shoot someone in the face.

Food is great, but even though I live one block away from there, I can't see myself going back based on that one experience with that bitch. :banghead:

max_boost
02-20-2011, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

Every time I think about her I just want to shoot someone in the face.

Food is great, but even though I live one block away from there, I can't see myself going back based on that one experience with that bitch. :banghead:

I've gone 3X the past 2 weeks and haven't encountered her yet. :D

AaronK
08-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Sorry for super old bump, but I ate at Anju recently and wanted to say that god damn is it ever good. Great service, amazing food and overall wicked atmosphere.

It was my buddies birthday and the waitress gave our entire group of 8 a few rounds of free shots. The food was unbelievable and the Bacchus-D and Soju drink is amazing! :D

Graham_A_M
08-28-2012, 04:29 PM
^ Wow, a few free rounds of shots, thats.... awesome. :D

I'll really have to try this place out. Hopefully they have more "white cuisine" though, Oxtail soup, seaweed pancakes, Pork Belly tacos.:barf: :barf:

AaronK
08-28-2012, 04:38 PM
Oh they do for sure. Pulled Pork Tacos are amazing. Their korean fried chicken wings are unreal and their yam fries are the best I've ever tried.

max_boost
08-28-2012, 05:27 PM
Damn I haven't been here in awhile. Can't wait to go back!:drool:

bleu
08-28-2012, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by AaronK
Oh they do for sure. Pulled Pork Tacos are amazing. Their korean fried chicken wings are unreal and their yam fries are the best I've ever tried.

All three of these are amazingly mouth-watering. I keep meaning to take my bf there but I am forgetful. We ride by it quite often too.

Thanks for the reminder!

l/l/rX
08-28-2012, 10:32 PM
I was there over the weekend. We had the pork shoulder special lettuce wraps, something you have to order the day prior, soo good, the pork was soo tender! The deep fried tofu on kimchi is to die for. The oxtail tortellini is amazing and yes the korean fried chicken wings are great!

edit: for the dessert you NEED to have the black bean creme brulee, omg one of my favorite desserts ever!!! :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Also if they have crabbies (krabbies), ginger beer, available get that with a shot of gin in a rock glass, mix the 2 together, makes for a great drink!

HyperZell
08-29-2012, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
I was there over the weekend. We had the pork shoulder special lettuce wraps, something you have to order the day prior, soo good, the pork was soo tender! The deep fried tofu on kimchi is to die for. The oxtail tortellini is amazing and yes the korean fried chicken wings are great!

edit: for the dessert you NEED to have the black bean creme brulee, omg one of my favorite desserts ever!!! :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Also if they have crabbies (krabbies), ginger beer, available get that with a shot of gin in a rock glass, mix the 2 together, makes for a great drink!

+10 on the Oxtail Tortellini.

Roy, the owner, is a super nice guy as well. This is a really well-recommended place.

vw_rabbit2.5
08-30-2012, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by l/l/rX

they finally have crabbies eh? i swear there was a shortage all around calgary for a little while. Couldn't find it anywhere!

I went there last night as well. I had the kimchi fried rice with pork belly (not on the menu anymore) and it was amazeballs

cancer man
05-24-2015, 07:21 AM
From a Greek Salad with Feta It is now a Greek salad with no Feta. (and the price is almost double)
I feel ripped off, i'am waiting for his response before i further criticize.
Just wondering if anybody feels that way. I generally go twice a year since he opened.
Off night maybe?? frozen meat not so good. lots of filler if you wanted buffet.

Dertz
06-04-2015, 02:03 PM
I for sure want to check this place out now. Love Korean food, always have since I was kid eating at my homies place.

Disoblige
06-04-2015, 02:19 PM
Yeah, would like to know if this place is overhyped ever sinced moving to 17th ave.

suntan
06-04-2015, 03:06 PM
Going June 30, hoping to have a foursome afterwards, wish me luck.

ercchry
06-04-2015, 03:17 PM
dont go in expecting korean and its a good meal, way too fusion/hype ingredients... super whitewashed, they took our chopsticks at one point and gave us forks for christ sakes :rofl:

did the chef's menu, so they just brought out whatever... but there was foie gras in one course, and mashed potatoes in another, truffle oil was used of course, etc, etc

suntan
06-04-2015, 04:47 PM
If any fucking 백인 gives me a fork I am going to shove it up his fucking ass.

suntan
07-02-2015, 05:13 PM
It was good. 4/5.

The S&S ribs were done Korean style. Never seen that in Calgary ever.

Mitsu3000gt
07-27-2015, 03:20 PM
Was there on Friday, everything 5/5. Outstanding.

Did the tasting menu, and added in a couple of courses off the menu, which they had no problem accommodating. They also allowed us to order more than one of a course of the tasting menu. Service was as good as I've had anywhere. Will be back ASAP.

Tasting menu was:

1) Sashimi (Salmon, Tuna, Sea Bream). Better quality than I can recall eating at any sushi restaurant in Calgary.
2) Scallops and pork belly
3) Halibut
4) Pannacotta

Added Chicken Wings, Frozen White Cholocate Ginger souffle (amazing), and a second order of sashimi.

Bill was $200 with a 4-5 drinks in there. Tasting menu was only $50/each which was very good value IMHO.

They never gave us forks, everything was melt-in-your-mouth and easy to eat/cut with chop sticks.

They were also happy to tell us what was on the tasting menu before we ordered, it wasn't a mystery tasting like Rouge, Chef's Table, or some other places. I couldn't possibly care less how authentic the Korean part of it was, the food was amazing which is the only reason I go to any restaurant in the first place.