PDA

View Full Version : Rogers to offer Tethering for no additional cost on Iphone

Dren
06-08-2009, 04:32 PM
New features with iPhone 3.0

New features such as tethering and Picture Messaging (MMS) now available when you upgrade to iPhone O.S. 3.0.

Tethering is the use of your phone as a wireless modem to connect to the Internet from your computer. For a limited time, if you subscribe to a data plan which includes at least 1GB of data transmission between June 8, 2009 and December 31, 2009, you may use tethering as part of the volume of data included in your plan at no additional charge. Tethering cannot be used with data plans of less than 1GB. To upgrade to a 1GB iPhone data plan go to www.rogers.com and sign into your account or call 1-888-ROGERS1

Also send photos, contacts, audio files, and location via Picture Messaging (MMS). To get Picture Messaging, upgrade to new iPhone Value Packs with unlimited Picture Messaging by going to www.rogers.com and signing into your account or by calling 1-888-ROGERS1

For more information on how to upgrade to iPhone O.S. 3.0 go to www.apple.com/iphone

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-products/tethering?setProvince=ON&setLanguage=en&cm_mmc=Redirects-_-Consumer_Wireless_Eng-_-Tethering_0609-_-tethering

vinc456
06-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Sweet. I bought a 6GB plan but use roughly 20 mb per month. Maybe now I can put it to good use!

blinkme_210
06-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Since day 1 you've always been able to tether with the 6GB plan.

B4tMan
06-08-2009, 06:58 PM
correct

Zephyr
06-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Man you guys are so lucky, dam you AT&T :cry:

Zero102
06-09-2009, 12:25 PM
jailbreak, then use pdanet, thats what I have been doing for 8 months now, but then again, I'm on the 6GB plan so apparently it was cool all along.

bituerbo
06-09-2009, 12:31 PM
I'm pretty excited to get the 3.0 OS legitimately on my device. Tethering... landscape keyboard... Apple REALLY did listen to the people when coming up with this update.

iPhone 3G S doesn't seem to be anything to write home about though... Maybe I'll use it in a few months for my HUP (Jan 2010 is 18mos from Rogers iPhone 3g release, Jul-08).

bubbley
06-09-2009, 12:39 PM
They are also offering the 8gb iphone for $99 on a three year term or extension soon

kaput
06-09-2009, 12:53 PM

lint
06-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by kaput
Rogers is also supposedly bringing back the 6gb data plan for awhile, but I don't see any mention of it on Rogers' site yet. Would it be worth jumping from Telus and signing for 3 years now or am I better off to wait until next year when Telus rolls out their new network (I'm assuming that they'll get the iPhone as well)?

http://krisabel.ctv.ca/post/Faster-iPhone-3GS-Due-Out-In-Canada-On-June-19th-Original-iPhone-Gets-Update-And-Price-Slash-Too.aspx

Unless they release a CDMA version of the iPhone or Telus switches to GSM, Telus won't be getting the iPhone.

Little Dragon
06-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by lint

Unless they release a CDMA version of the iPhone or Telus switches to GSM, Telus won't be getting the iPhone.

I heard all the CDMA networks are switching to some sort of GSM network.
I heard this from a Bell store employee so don't quote me, but he said that by the end of this year they should have switched to sims and a more advanced version of GSM (or something like that, I can't quite remember)

He also said they should pretty much have every phone, that includes the iphone.

Again, don't quote me on this, I was just told this from a Bell employee a little while ago.

kaput
06-10-2009, 08:45 PM

DannyO
06-10-2009, 11:32 PM
Props to Rogers for doing this, they could quite of easily been dicks and said no to tethering.

As for Telus, I can't really say much, but they do have a new network that will be coming out early next year, its not GSM, its HSPA, but both highspeed upload and download that will be faster than what Rogers currently offers (Rogers currently only has EDGE upload speeds), basically there copying what is going on in Europe, should be an interesting next year, but we'll see what happens, will be interesting to see what Rogers does.

ThatGuyishere
06-11-2009, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by DannyO
Props to Rogers for doing this, they could quite of easily been dicks and said no to tethering.

As for Telus, I can't really say much, but they do have a new network that will be coming out early next year, its not GSM, its HSPA, but both highspeed upload and download that will be faster than what Rogers currently offers (Rogers currently only has EDGE upload speeds), basically there copying what is going on in Europe, should be an interesting next year, but we'll see what happens, will be interesting to see what Rogers does. ']

They still are dicks..
As of June, if you get a new DATA plan over 1GB, you can tether while if it's under 1GB, they'll disable tethering and since the configuration is through their servers, there's nothing you can do about it. However, existing customers aren't affected.

This is getting a bit off topic but Telus announced an all new network back in novemberish that is supposed to be rolled out in time for the Olympics... HSPA or HDSPA or something like that. I read about it on howardforums but nobody there seem to know what they're talking about. Depending on the person and the day its either the cats ass or a waste of money. That is why I was asking.

I understand that. "HSDPA" which is High Speed Data Packet Access. Right now, Rogers has that which is 3.5G (HSDPA is the correct term) and you can get speeds of upto 7.2Mbps which is slightly slower than most standard highspeed download rates.
Hmm, Only HSDPA? I've always believed that Bell and Telus were going to release LTE or Wimax. What's the point of investing in Old technology? 7.2mbps < 10+mbps.

Feel free to PM to discuss about anything on Mobile products/services or Computer hardware/software

Dren
06-13-2009, 01:00 AM
so we have to call to enable this ?

ThatGuyishere
06-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Dren
so we have to call to enable this ?

call to enable what?

if you're talking about the network, it's automatically set to that..

zipdoa
06-13-2009, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by lint

TELUS is switching to a SIM-based network that is NOT GSM. So Yes, come 2010 olympics all of ya'll iPhone users can switch to TELUS!

spikerS
06-14-2009, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by ThatGuyishere
']

I understand that. &quot;HSDPA&quot; which is High Speed Data Packet Access. Right now, Rogers has that which is 3.5G (HSDPA is the correct term) and you can get speeds of upto 7.2Mbps which is slightly slower than most standard highspeed download rates.
Hmm, Only HSDPA? I've always believed that Bell and Telus were going to release LTE or Wimax. What's the point of investing in Old technology? 7.2mbps &lt; 10+mbps.

Feel free to PM to discuss about anything on Mobile products/services or Computer hardware/software

Rogers' EDGE can do to 7.2mbps download, but only something like 1.somethign up. With the HSPA network that TELUS and BELL (in partnership) will be launching coast to coast in time for the 2010 olympics in Vancouver. The HSPA network will allow for almost 15mbps down and 6up.

HSPA is a hybrid of GSM and CDMA, and is SIM based. Carriers around the world are making the move to this technology, as it is the best step they can make before LTE comes out. All that will bre required to make that transition is a simple software update. estimated speeds of LTE are reported to be of at least 100mbps minimum.

The current iPhone probably will not work on the HSPA network as it is GSM only, and the HSPA network will probably use a variation of the current bands. However, if the HSPA network will use the current GSM frequencies, then, jailbreak it, and go nuts. Problem with this is, do not expect handset support.

kaput
06-14-2009, 11:39 AM

Dren
06-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Tethering FAQs

What is tethering or wireless modem?
Tethering or wireless modem functionality is the use of your phone (such as your iPhone) as a wireless modem to connect to the internet from your computer. You can connect your phone to your computer through Bluetooth wireless technology or the USB cable provided with your handset.

Can I tether on my iPhone?
To use tethering or wireless modem functionality you require the new iPhone 3G S, or an iPhone 3G that has been upgraded with the new iPhone OS 3.0 software. Until December 31, 2009, if you have subscribed to a data plan which includes at least 1GB of data you may use tethering as part of the volume of data included in your plan at no additional charge. Tethering cannot be used with data plans of less then 1GB.

Will data charges for tethering be free?
No, tethering data usage will come out of your existing data bucket.

When will I be able to tether on my iPhone?
Customers with an iPhone 3G S will be able to tether right away. For customers with an iPhone 3G, who have upgraded to iPhone OS 3.0, we expect tethering to be fully operational for all iPhone customers shortly after the OS 3.0 release.

What will happen on December 31, 2009 when the promotion expires?
Rogers will continue to enable tethering on devices that allow it, but data plans will be adjusted to better reflect the way customers are using tethering services.

How do I tether on my iPhone?
Please visit Apple.com for instructions http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-3g/tethering.html

Shogged
06-17-2009, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by spikers

Rogers' EDGE can do to 7.2mbps download, but only something like 1.somethign up. With the HSPA network that TELUS and BELL (in partnership) will be launching coast to coast in time for the 2010 olympics in Vancouver. The HSPA network will allow for almost 15mbps down and 6up.

HSPA is a hybrid of GSM and CDMA, and is SIM based. Carriers around the world are making the move to this technology, as it is the best step they can make before LTE comes out. All that will bre required to make that transition is a simple software update. estimated speeds of LTE are reported to be of at least 100mbps minimum.

The current iPhone probably will not work on the HSPA network as it is GSM only, and the HSPA network will probably use a variation of the current bands. However, if the HSPA network will use the current GSM frequencies, then, jailbreak it, and go nuts. Problem with this is, do not expect handset support.

hahaha there is so much wrong with this i'm not even going to bother correcting it. Go pick up a copy of "wireless networks for dummies" and then repost.

@ "thatguyishere"

7.2mb/s is pretty damn good if you consider that at&t's 3g network runs at 1.2mb/s. Rogers invested huge in their 3g network and if you've ever used your iphone in the states, you'll have a much bigger appreciation.

Telus and bell are going HSDPA to start but it'll be LTE within 12 months of that release, around the same time rogers switches to LTE. The investment to go from 3g to LTE isn't much at all compared to EDGEorEVDO to 3G and it'll help telus get their customers into new phones.

Big key here though is telus and bell aren't going GSM, so there still won't be international roaming and they still won't get phones like the iphone unless they release a CDMA version.

So key points for those posts i read that made me face palm..

rogers 3g = pretty good when compared with the rest of the world. Only shitty part is we pay an arm and a leg for it.

GSM is not equal to HSDPA. Just because CDMA will be paired with HSDPA in the future does not mean GSM devices will work, unlocked or not.

spikerS
06-17-2009, 09:59 PM
nothing wrong with what I have posted. and others can attest to it as well.

I just happen to be in the industry, directly supporting this kind of technology.

Shogged
06-18-2009, 04:14 PM
nothing wrong with what I have posted. and others can attest to it as well.

I just happen to be in the industry, directly supporting this kind of technology.

then you're mental, because hspa is not a hybrid of gsm and cdma lol thats completely bonkers and you sound like a recently hired telus sales rep with nothing more than a 20 minute onless "intro to wireless technology" under your belt.

and lte isn't a software upgrade to "3g" its a completely different technology, just like 3g wasn't a software upgrade to edge. The only difference is LTE was built to be low cost and can make advantage of existing 3g installations with minimal changes, mostly to the frequency. 3.5g was a software upgrade, hence why its still an HSPA network. Later this month, HSPA+ will be released with a few European and Asian carriers taking that upgrade which pushes 7.2 down to 12.5 down, the theoretical limit for HSPA, and it requires no changes to existing infrastructure. Thats a software upgrade, pretty easy to understand the difference.
Edge -> HSPA -> LTE all different technologies. You'd think working in the industry you'd be able to understand that.

And seriously, you think that jailbreaking an iphone will enable it to make voice calls over a telus hspa network? You do realize that hspa is not voice. No where in the world is voice transmitted over hspa. GSM and CDMA are voice.. HSPA, LTE, EDGE, EVDO etc etc is strictly data.

Iphone is GSM. It is hspa compatible, but it is a GSM phone. It will never ever work on a cdma network because it does not have that type of technology. Thats common sense, just like you've never been able to use any gsm phone on a cdma network.

And to get completely technical to blow your mind back to high school, HSPA is not a sim technology. Again, GSM is the SIM technology. No, mike chips and telus/bell world phone chips are not "sim cards" they are similar but they are not bound by the GSM agreement. (they're actually called U-RIM's). When the HSPA network belonging to telus and bell is released, their phones won't start coming with SIM cards because again, they're not GSM lol

I can't make it any simpler than that man. Now please stop claiming you "know" what you're talking about

spikerS
06-18-2009, 08:07 PM
HSPA IS a sim based technology, where did you fucking miss that? Also, where did I make the claim that GSM is HSPA OR CDMA for that matter?

you know what, I am not even going to try to argue with you. when you decide to get off your high horse, come talk to us.

Shogged
06-18-2009, 10:42 PM
HSPA IS a sim based technology, where did you fucking miss that? Also, where did I make the claim that GSM is HSPA OR CDMA for that matter?

you know what, I am not even going to try to argue with you. when you decide to get off your high horse, come talk to us.

you can't argue the facts eh?

i'm still laughing at your "jailbreak an iphone and use it with telus"

http://www.facepalm.org/images/03.jpg

oh and here is where you claimed hspa is a hybrid of gsm and cdma

HSPA is a hybrid of GSM and CDMA, and is SIM based

please continue to enlighten us with your infinite wisdom oh mighty industry worker

spikerS
06-18-2009, 11:51 PM
it's not worth my time for someone that has no comprehension skills.

Shogged
06-19-2009, 02:09 PM
it's not worth my time for someone that has no comprehension skills.

I still think you're copping out because you tried to claim you "work in the industry" to stoke your epeen and flex your bullshit ability. Then when someone who actually is in the industry, and who happens to be working for nokia who believe it or not has the contract to install telus and bells HSPA network, calls you out on it, you give up and play the "you cant read man" card.

haha
:rolleyes:

start with this link boss, read about all the things you're claiming. Nowhere are your facts supported in the official literature of GSM.

http://gsmworld.com/index.htm

kaput
06-19-2009, 02:22 PM

Shogged
06-19-2009, 02:43 PM
^So then you know how soon the new network will be going public?

nope, i know when the installations will be done but its up to telus when they release the network and phones that support it

kaput
06-19-2009, 02:51 PM

eglove
06-19-2009, 02:54 PM
my usage meter doesn't go up when i tether...that's scary

ZMan2k2
06-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by eglove
my usage meter doesn't go up when i tether...that's scary

I noticed that too. It's not a real-time counter, like it should be. You have to back out of the screen, then go back in to see how much you're using.

Dren
06-20-2009, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by ZMan2k2

I noticed that too. It's not a real-time counter, like it should be. You have to back out of the screen, then go back in to see how much you're using.

I find that mine doesn't even go up when i go back to that screen
do you have to stay out of that screen till you turn it off?

ZMan2k2
06-20-2009, 11:51 AM
No, that's not a problem for me. I go to the network usage screen, zero out the counter, and back out. When I want to get a usage update, I go back to the counter screen, and it's updated. Weird that you have wait until you're done to get that info.

*edit* Maybe it's the program you're using. I'm using the program I got from this thread (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/268374/iphone-3-0-os-is-out-today/) in the last post on the first page. Using that method got me tethering right away, and the counter works for me any time I back out and recheck it.:dunno:

spikerS
06-20-2009, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Shogged

I still think you're copping out because you tried to claim you &quot;work in the industry&quot; to stoke your epeen and flex your bullshit ability. Then when someone who actually is in the industry, and who happens to be working for nokia who believe it or not has the contract to install telus and bells HSPA network, calls you out on it, you give up and play the &quot;you cant read man&quot; card.

haha
:rolleyes:

start with this link boss, read about all the things you're claiming. Nowhere are your facts supported in the official literature of GSM.

http://gsmworld.com/index.htm

Trust me, there is no epeen as you so kindly put it, and since you know me so well, and seem to be king shit when it comes to this.

I will back up my hybrid claim.

part 1)

hy⋅brid
  /ˈhaɪbrɪd/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [hahy-brid] Show IPA
–noun
1. the offspring of two animals or plants of different breeds, varieties, species, or genera, esp. as produced through human manipulation for specific genetic characteristics.
2. a person or group of persons produced by the interaction or crossbreeding of two unlike cultures, traditions, etc.
3. anything derived from heterogeneous sources, or composed of elements of different or incongruous kinds: a hybrid of the academic and business worlds.
4. a word composed of elements originally drawn from different languages, as television, whose components come from Greek and Latin.
–adjective
5. bred from two distinct races, breeds, varieties, species, or genera.
6. composite; formed or composed of heterogeneous elements.
7. composed of elements originally drawn from different languages, as a word.

Part 2.

HSDPA and HSUPA provide increased performance by using improved modulation schemes and by refining the protocols by which handsets and base stations communicate. These improvements lead to a better utilization of the existing radio bandwidth provided by WCDMA.

Part 3.

HSPA is SIM based.

in conclusion to my argument, Hybrid is defined as taking 2 completely different entities, and combining them to make a 3rd. In this case, taking a SIM based technology, and taking CDMA to the next stage to create a hybrid of the 2, HSPA.

Now, as for my iphone comment.

Bell and Telus have also agreed to work together to set up a next generation HSPA wireless network by 2010 to pave the way for future wireless standards and allow them to offer phones such as Apple's iPhone, which don't work with Bell and Telus's current wireless network technology, an older communications standard known as code division multiple access (CDMA).

Now, here are the reference links.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hybrid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Speed_Packet_Access

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gsm

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2009/06/19/wireless-entrants-globalive-dave-public-mobile.html

st184
06-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Shogged

nope, i know when the installations will be done but its up to telus when they release the network and phones that support it
For a guy that likes to flex his epeen for knowing his cellphone stuff you should at least know that Telus has announced Q4 of '09. That's been public for some time now.