PDA

View Full Version : 2 bikers head-on by zoo

Kennyredline
06-08-2009, 06:13 PM
Discuss. Who is at fault? Can anything be done to the pathway to make it safer?
Does anyone else think it's stupid that there is a "mandatory" speed limit on pathways, but no "mandatory" way of measuring speed...?

badatusrnames
06-08-2009, 06:20 PM
News link?

EDIT:
http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20090608/CGY_bike_crash_090608/20090608/?hub=CalgaryHome

5000Audi
06-08-2009, 06:22 PM
Lol a pedal bike head on crash. Sorry but that deserves a big ass LOL.

If one was to crash on the pathway then they are doing something wrong. On a bike there is a lot of time to react and lots of area to turn the bike to if there is a threat ahead. Sorry but a bike crash on the pathway is pure stupidity on the riders. There is lines in the middle of the path. Stay on your side plain and simple. But just like calgary drivers I bet there is some as useless calgary bikers

B4tMan
06-08-2009, 06:25 PM
I had to laugh, as he is right

"Sorry but a bike crash on the pathway is pure stupidity"

kaput
06-08-2009, 06:33 PM

davidI
06-08-2009, 06:37 PM
I don't know that corner, but I do know that the Bow River pathway gets ridiculously busy. It's no big deal where they have 2 paths...one for walkers & one for bikers / rollerbladers but where everyone is supposed to share one path it is a bit ridiculous. Considering the amount of congestion cycling removes from the roads, it would be nice if the city would build better infrastructure for bikes!

edit: wrote baths instead of paths haha.

Numi
^^ regardless of it being a blind corner isnt there still lines dividing the pathway? why would you cross it?

Kona9
Originally posted by 5000Audi
Lol a pedal bike head on crash. Sorry but that deserves a big ass LOL.

If one was to crash on the pathway then they are doing something wrong. On a bike there is a lot of time to react and lots of area to turn the bike to if there is a threat ahead. Sorry but a bike crash on the pathway is pure stupidity on the riders. There is lines in the middle of the path. Stay on your side plain and simple. But just like calgary drivers I bet there is some as useless calgary bikers

Reading AND spelling own you! That in itself is a big ass LOL!

Some of the daily commuters on bicycles waste no time getting to/from work. There are some decent speeds reached on the pathways, hence the outcome of this situation. Not to mention it's a shared situation with walkers and joggers as well. If you would get your head out of your ass you would realize that that involves going over the center line to pass foot traffic. You do realize bikes are faster than walkers and joggers right?

Truly an unfortunate situation. This city needs WAY more things than bicycle law crackdowns. :facepalm:

B4tMan
06-08-2009, 07:05 PM
^ " If you would get your head out of your ass you would realize that that involves going over the center line to pass foot traffic."

You blame the other guy for having his head up his ass ...
Article states : "The cyclists, both in their 40s [...] were riding at a high rate of speed in a blind curve in the path. Neither was wearing a helmet or using a light. "

Kona9
06-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by B4tMan
^ " If you would get your head out of your ass you would realize that that involves going over the center line to pass foot traffic."

You blame the other guy for having his head up his ass ...
Article states : "The cyclists, both in their 40s [...] were riding at a high rate of speed in a blind curve in the path. Neither was wearing a helmet or using a light. "

Do you know for a fact there were no pedestrians in the vicinity? They were travelling at a high rate of speed. Perhaps going around a pedestrian or two is what sent one or both into one or another or boths direct path. We weren't there, therefore we don't know.

Although my comments directed at 5000 were to shed some light that it wasn't a case of two casual cyclists colliding after taking a pedal in the park, at a joggers pace, on a dead straight strip of path in broad day light.

badatusrnames
06-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Why would you be stupid enough to cross the centre line going around blind corner to pass a pedestrian?

They almost need to widen the paths slightly to segregate foot and bicycle traffic. It's unreasonable for bikes to get up to the 30-40 km/h speeds some of them do when pedestrians along with cyclists of all ages and abilities are sharing the path... Our pathway system was designed with a more leisurely purpose in mind. Wasn't an old Chinese man killed a few years ago when he was hit by a cyclist on a pathway?

It seems that a lot of the cyclists in this city have some sort of smug sense of entitlement, spandex suits and a $4000 race bike turns them into the BMW drivers of the cycling world apparently (just a general comment, not saying these guys were that type).

B4tMan
06-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Kona, let's drop it. One of those guys is a dumbass and the other one is unlucky.

Kennyredline
06-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Part of the problem here is the fact this incident occurred at 4:40am...neither guy figured there would be another cyclist coming the other way RIGHT THERE at the SAME MOMENT...kind of comical really. I have ridden that part of the path, and it's hard not to wanna go fast down the hill; not on the wrong side, of course...

Kona9
06-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by B4tMan
Kona, let's drop it. One of those guys is a dumbass and the other one is unlucky.
Sold! :thumbsup:

kaput
06-08-2009, 07:33 PM

Doozer
06-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Kennyredline
Part of the problem here is the fact this incident occurred at 4:40am...neither guy figured there would be another cyclist coming the other way RIGHT THERE at the SAME MOMENT...kind of comical really. I have ridden that part of the path, and it's hard not to wanna go fast down the hill; not on the wrong side, of course...
QFT

Grogador
06-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Not wearing a helmet is sheer lunacy, however high speeds and blind corners are a-ok!

Yay, storytime!

On the Fish Creek path along Douglasdale ridge (http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&ll=50.929764,-113.987489&spn=0.010481,0.027895&t=h&z=16), there's this reaaally nice downhill back into the park where you can hit ludicrous speeds, especially on a roadbike with freshly topped up tires. Catch is, there's two or three corners that are fully obscured by rocks/trees/bushes and you just kind of have to dive in at nn kph. Imagine my surprise when, just diving into the perfect apex, I spy a milf complete with double-stroller and dog head-on taking up both lanes and the inside shoulder. Can't go around them, shouldn't go through them, sooo I stand on the brakes. Hot skinnies pumped plump on steaming asphalt... surprisingly slick... oh yes, front too... most beautifully executed neutral drift stop evar...

Once the milf finished admiring my beautiful bikemanship, she actually said "sorry" and got her crotchfruity furbags out of the way! Even she could see that it was truly going to be an epic apex :guns:

Kona9
06-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Grogador

Yay, storytime!

On the Fish Creek path along Douglasdale ridge (http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&ll=50.929764,-113.987489&spn=0.010481,0.027895&t=h&z=16), there's this reaaally nice downhill back into the park where you can hit ludicrous speeds, especially on a roadbike with freshly topped up tires. Catch is, there's two or three corners that are fully obscured by rocks/trees/bushes and you just kind of have to dive in at nn kph. Imagine my surprise when, just diving into the perfect apex, I spy a milf complete with double-stroller and dog head-on taking up both lanes and the inside shoulder. Can't go around them, shouldn't go through them, sooo I stand on the brakes. Hot skinnies pumped plump on steaming asphalt... surprisingly slick... oh yes, front too... most beautifully executed neutral drift stop evar...

Once the milf finished admiring my beautiful bikemanship, she actually said "sorry" and got her crotchfruity furbags out of the way! Even she could see that it was truly going to be an epic apex :guns:

:rofl: well told!

msommers
06-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Right by the zoo there is a part where the path goes under a bridge and it's totally blind coming down the hill. Kind of want to keep up to speed to lessen the effort to get back up but fuck, I get nervous everytime I go around there I'm going to crash into someone doin the same thing!!

Kennyredline
06-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Not wearing a helmet is sheer lunacy, however high speeds and blind corners are a-ok!

Yay, storytime!

Wow! More than a paragraph, no spelling errors, nicley worded, even poetic in places...that's a keeper!

Shunsui
06-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by kaput

Posting without reading the article. Sorry but THAT deserves a big ass LOL.

It was a blind corner under a bridge.

So...is it not common sense to slow down on a blind corner whether your on bike/foot/4 wheels?

And pleassssse theres enough bike routes all over the city, it's all fine, anyways :rofl: :rofl: at Grogador

EDIT: and why the fuck is there a news article on this:facepalm:

B4tMan
06-09-2009, 10:41 AM
This was a beautiful description. It brought a tear to my eye. :rofl: