PDA

View Full Version : Help diagnose my computer please

supe
06-08-2009, 07:09 PM
So the thing doesnt boot just black, no beeps no bios screen, the fans spin but nothing else. The computer is pretty new about a year but its one of those custom parts computers but the specs are pretty good still.

Me and a buddy with our limited knowledge did some tests. We switched out the power supply same result. We disconnected the hard hard drive same result. We removed the memory sticks one at a time and switched them around same result. Removed and switched out the video card no luck. My buddy thinks we've narrowed it down to either the mother board or cpu, so how do we test that. Or any recommendations on where to go to fix it.

GQBalla
06-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Mobo sounds like. Do you know anyone that has a mb that is compatible with your cpu?

Grogador
06-08-2009, 08:46 PM
You try booting with no RAM and no vid? Should still POST beep, assuming you didn't disconnect the speaker ;) Try clearing the CMOS? Try hitting the reset button a few times while it's powered on? Post specs maybe someone has a board or chip laying around...

supe
06-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, tried everything including clearing the CMOS.

At this point I think I'm going to have to spend some money on parts.

The Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G. Checked the popular computer sites and its a tough one to find.

A couple questions:

How do I know if another motherboard is compatible?

And assuming I find a replacement will I have to reload my OS? I would think the OS wouldnt even know the mobo got swapped out... but I dont know.

Thanks!

revelations
06-16-2009, 08:12 PM
Unless you find a near-identical board, its probable that you will have to create a fresh install of windows.

I've been through this once and Windows can be finicky. You can always try first though.

If you want to use the same RAM and CPU, get a board that is compatible with your parts.

Doozer
06-16-2009, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by supe

How do I know if another motherboard is compatible?

And assuming I find a replacement will I have to reload my OS? I would think the OS wouldnt even know the mobo got swapped out... but I dont know.

1) - The main thing is to find out what kind of CPU your current motherboard supports, and make sure your new motherboard supports the same kind. Doing that, the other parts will probably fall into place. Once you find a couple matches that you like that support your CPU, you can check to make sure they support the same kind of RAM, and then maybe hard drives (although those are unlikely to be different in the timeframe you're talking about).

2) - all your drivers go through the motherboard, so Windows might work, but your drivers will be screwed. This means effectively, Windows will be screwed. You might get it to boot up with a new mobo, but it'll probably pop up with tons of "missing driver" errors, and it will likely be easier just to install clean.

Edit: a quick google search says that your mobo supports Intel multicore processors, socket 775. Specs here: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=2729&ProductName=GA-P35-S3G. Should be easy enough to compare.

ThatGuyishere
06-17-2009, 02:30 AM
The CPU should be a Socket LGA 775 basically all Intel CPUs from 2-3 years ago till now.

2.You would need the same mobo for everything to work properly

3. Unless your overclocked your CPU, there's a 7% chance that it'll break.

donnie533
06-18-2009, 01:04 PM
Had same problem - no video (none through either the video card or through the MoBo), no beeps

replaced the MoBo, and got beeps that video card was no found.
Then replaced the video card.

The new MoBo was not even close to the specs of the bad one.

Booted up fine, loaded all the drivers from the MoBo CD and never had to re-formatted / reload Vista. No problems months later.