PDA

View Full Version : The best corners in Calgary?

Pages : [1] 2

buh_buh
06-08-2009, 07:24 PM
This isn't a street encounter per say, but in a way it is. I try to take the funnest drive on my daily commute, and sometimes even cruise around just to find some good corners around the city. So what are some of your favourite so I know for next time where the fun ones are? Some of my favourites:

Glenmore->Deerfoot southbound
If you're lucky enough to not hit traffic, the right left right merging onto Deerfoot is pretty fun, gives you sufficient room to find a couple different apexes and power out without having to worry about cops too much when you step on it coming out since you end up on Deerfoot and you have your own lane once you're on Deerfoot.

Deerfoot->Glenmore westbound
similar consecutive turn section to the last one, though I don't take it nearly as much so its a little sketchy sometimes going fast here since I don't know where the bumps are.

Anderson->Macleod northbound
Another right left right, though the reverse camber and hump on the first right makes it slightly sketchy, but they recently fixed the bump at the top of the little hill where the manhole is has made it a little less sketchy. Probably one of my favourite corners to push in that I know of.

Bow Bottom->Canyon Meadows
Its just one corner, but is cambered and is a merge, so if the perpendicular light isn't green you can take it fairly quickly and still stay in your own lane.

These are the only ones I can think of, and the ones I take most often. Anyone know of some other ones?

Xamim
06-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Deerfoot North onto Anderson. A few nice corners there.

Crowchild South onto Glenmore East. Awesome at 3 am when there are no cars around.

84st before/after 22x. That stretch of road is what wakes me up on my way to work.

B4tMan
06-08-2009, 07:33 PM
corner of 3rd ave where the tall, leggy hook ...

Crowchild - Glenmore (elevated left turn). It's a thrill coming back from school in the left lane.

Kona9
06-08-2009, 07:35 PM
3rd ave and 2nd St SW!! :thumbsup:

Edit- You are everywhere tonight!

nixon45
06-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Kona9 3rd ave and 2nd St SW!! :thumbsup:

He wins

you&me
06-08-2009, 08:07 PM
16th ave EB -> Sarcee Tr SB

Stoney Tr SB -> 16th ave EB (very wide and very fast)

Blackfoot Tr SB -> Glenmore Tr WB

17th Ave SE (E or W Bound) -> Deerfoot Tr SB

Mission Rd, but too residential to do anything fun

JTC180
06-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Sarcee -> 16th ave eastbound.

Kona9
06-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by JTC180

Also 16th ave eastbound on to Sarcee. :thumbsup:

Grogador
06-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Can someone compile this into a KML/KMZ file or GPS waypoints? Purely for information purposes, NOT for making your GPS yell out "WAYPOINT!", arcade style, at each turn of awesomeness.

GT.....O?
06-08-2009, 08:46 PM
old banff coach road

everyone says there is always cops on that road but i live beside it and never see any..

Ripper
06-08-2009, 08:48 PM
- Deerfoot S > Barlow (The southern intersection/fly over)
- Memorial E > Crowchild S > 12th ave exit

D'z Nutz
06-08-2009, 08:49 PM
John Laurie onto McKnight Blvd (EB) all the way to Centre Street is a nice stretch of road I like.

JTC180
06-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Kona9

Also 16th ave eastbound on to Sarcee. :thumbsup:

Correct

Old Banff is great, only saw a cop opnce and drove that road too school everyday last year.

JTC180
06-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Not in Calgary but old Trans Canada is great.

5000Audi
06-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Anderson or bow bottom onto deerfoot north nice long high speed corner. Once seen cops shooting radar there. But its a fun one. My fav is deerfoot south to glenmore west. Little s curve

Mibz
06-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Deerfoot S onto 22X West is a Right-Left-Right where the Rights are banked and the left isn't, it's probably my favourite. Goes into a flow-through lane too.

88CRX
06-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh

If you're lucky enough to not hit traffic, the right left right merging onto Deerfoot is pretty fun, gives you sufficient room to find a couple different apexes and power out without having to worry about cops too much when you step on it coming out since you end up on Deerfoot and you have your own lane once you're on Deerfoot.

My favorite... I always slow down and make sure the road is open in front of me. Plus there's no real mid corner bumps to worry about.

Anderson->Macleod northbound
Another right left right, though the reverse camber and hump on the first right makes it slightly sketchy, but they recently fixed the bump at the top of the little hill where the manhole is has made it a little less sketchy. Probably one of my favourite corners to push in that I know of.

Last time I took this one it was pretty sketchy.... big ass dip in the road. Dont' take it often, sounds like it might be fixed.

Another fav is Deerfoot southbound onto Bow Bottom westbound once you get off the clover turn which is bumpy as shit. Nice big right-left sweeper.

Lex350
06-08-2009, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
John Laurie onto McKnight Blvd (EB) all the way to Centre Street is a nice stretch of road I like.

yes...but I like driving them the other direction better.

jwslam
06-08-2009, 09:55 PM
DISlike
that turn needs to be MUCH wider from JL to McKnight

I love going down 14th St N right after you go uphill by CWC.
Turning from JL West to Shag North is always cool when ppl don't try to cut right going NB on Shag if the light is green.

buh_buh
06-08-2009, 10:48 PM
Good suggestions guys. These do somehow need to be compiled for the next time I go for a spirited drive around the city. Just one long cruise from one side of the city to the other hitting all these routes :D

haveboost
06-08-2009, 10:52 PM
deerfoot north onto beddington trail ramp. love being on the right lane.

JL to shag north too

crowchild north onto norhland drive (the underpass) then onto freeflow lane.

theken
06-08-2009, 10:55 PM
I read didn't see 24th onto deerfoot south. Knee dragging at 90 km

saiyajin
06-08-2009, 10:56 PM
i like WB Mcknight onto NB Deerfoot, not super windy but you can power down that and merge deerfoot at 100 easily :nut:

Skyline_Addict
06-09-2009, 12:09 AM
Beddington Blvd East Bound onto Harvest Hills Ramp (to get to T+T) is one of my favorite turns.

It is a downhill hair pin, super duper fun and virtually no merge traffic as you exit the apex (as it's a closed off residential area).

Going reverse, Harvest Hills onto Beddington is also very fun. Tight right turn into a long uphill straight.

Sorath
06-09-2009, 12:10 AM
one of my fav is going from 14th st sw onto 9thave downtown

i also like taking the turnoffs on 16th to barlow and 16th to 36th ne back and forth

ianmcc
06-09-2009, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by Ripper
- Deerfoot S > Barlow (The southern intersection/fly over)

Southbound Deerfoot to Northbound Barlow-my favorite. Just stay in the left lane (two lanes merge from Deerfoot) as there are manhole covers and a couple of big ass dips in the right lane. The two expansion strips make it interesting for sure! If you are real brave you can take it at over 100.

rage2
06-09-2009, 07:26 AM
FTW. Simply the ultimate corner in Calgary. The downhill slope screws you over pretty good :).

Oh ya... if you exit JL properly, you can carry quite a bit of speed.

Originally posted by rotten42
Uphill onto a really tight left. Too boring.

Originally posted by jwslam
DISlike
You need to work on your lines son! :rofl:

D'z Nutz
06-09-2009, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by rotten42

Yes, if you like driving your grandma that way to church.

DISlike

Are you serious? Half the fun is trying to keep within the lines winding back and forth until you hit centre street.

n1zm0
06-09-2009, 08:52 AM
i think both were already mentioned but the closest corners in succession to each other with alot of bend for me are the anderson to deerfoot south and the anderson to mac trail turn offs, the anderson to deerfoot south one you could close enough to the left barrier to touch it with your mirror closed :nut:

also that hill near the river that brings you up to marda loop from elbow, i forgot the name.

jdmSiR
06-09-2009, 09:00 AM
John laurie sb to Sarcee trail sb

36st nb onto mcknight west ramp

16ave sb onto stoney trail nb ramp

bjstare
06-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX

Another fav is Deerfoot southbound onto Bow Bottom westbound once you get off the clover turn which is bumpy as shit. Nice big right-left sweeper.

+1, so fun. When I had my learners back in the day, I scared my mom every time I drove here.

jwslam
06-09-2009, 10:09 AM

Are you serious? Half the fun is trying to keep within the lines winding back and forth until you hit centre street.
guess i didn't clarify haha
i hate the turn from JL to mcknight
i like driving down that stretch of mcknight though

IncredibleToad
06-09-2009, 10:26 AM
I'm a huge fan of Crowchild SB --> Bow Trail East heading into downtown.

Single lane with an inside gutter, perfect for Takumi wanna-be's looking to pull a self-imagined gutter run.

*Edit: Agree with Terence, Beddington Trail to Harvest Hills to T&T Market is a good one. Taken basically every weekend. :D

EK 2.0
06-09-2009, 11:02 AM
16th Ave and Barlow Trail Cloverleaf....

I know not as exciting as some of the others...but it's a fun things to mess around on....

Nissan_Fanboy
06-09-2009, 11:09 AM

Remember that night, the turn from country hills onto beddington blvd.
That was freeeeekkkky, come around flyyyin, and theres a check stop!

HOLY BALLZ :nut:

barmanjay
06-09-2009, 11:17 AM
When we lived in the south, my fav going home was: canyon meadows to mcleod south

Now living in the NW, the only moderate corner i hit is going uphill: JL to Sarcee North.

bituerbo
06-09-2009, 11:30 AM
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Ogden+Rd+SE&daddr=Highfield+Blvd+SE+to:51.00857,-114.002123+to:Ogdendale+Rd+SE+to:Ogden+Rd+SE&hl=en&geocode=FQiBCgMdAAo0-Q%3BFSBzCgMdLPcz-Q%3B%3BFcwDCgMdNJ40-Q%3BFWh7CgMdjhc0-Q&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=2&sz=14&via=1,2,3&sll=51.000415,-114.011307&sspn=0.037432,0.076904&ie=UTF8&ll=51.004412,-114.012337&spn=0.037429,0.076904&z=14
Only Left turns are Highfield -> 12 Street and 12 Street to 46 ave and 61 Ave -> Ogdendale Rd.

whiskas
06-09-2009, 11:34 AM
If you go 14st southbound, there's a tight turn where it turns in canyon meadows. That last section of 14th st. south of anderson is quiet and never has cops shooting radar. Blast down the straight, heel toe downshift 6-5-4-3-2, and carve into a very tight and narrow left hander. The road opens up on the other side so you can open it up in 2nd.

kevie88
06-09-2009, 11:45 AM
5th ave downtown across the bridge onto Memorial eastbound.. Rip in there, pass everyone on the brakes on the inside over the bumps, get the car set up and then mash the gas as it goes on-camber. Too fun.

The offramp from Memorial onto Deerfoot north is super fun too.

hampstor
06-09-2009, 11:45 AM
I foresee a few spotted threads of cars flipped over at the above intersections. Don't try this at home kids :poosie:

I'm always surprised when the cars behind me break hard at those ramps. If a Titan can take that turn, then a passenger car should have no problem. Taking better lines and knowing your vehicle ftw.

DeeK
06-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Secondary highway 762 just outside of bragg creek. Great corners on that road, RARELY cops, RARELY traffic.

I know it's not in Calgary per-se, but it was on my daily commute when I was in Calgary.

bituerbo
06-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by DeeK
Secondary highway 762 just outside of bragg creek. Great corners on that road, RARELY cops, RARELY traffic.

I know it's not in Calgary per-se, but it was on my daily commute when I was in Calgary.

Uhm theres always sherriffs patrolling 762.

D'z Nutz
06-09-2009, 12:05 PM

guess i didn't clarify haha
i hate the turn from JL to mcknight

That turn is where the fun begins :poosie:

Originally posted by EK 2.0
16th Ave and Barlow Trail Cloverleaf....

I know not as exciting as some of the others...but it's a fun things to mess around on....

Yeah, I like ripping around the cloverleave from 16th WB to Memorial SB.

I also like NB Deerfoot -> EB Memorial -> NB Barlow

Jason Lange
06-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Not in Calgary but Groat road in Edmonton is pretty fun.

bituerbo
06-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Not in Calgary but the 1A between Louise and Banff is pretty insane, especially the eastbound route.

freshprince1
06-09-2009, 01:12 PM
NB Deerfoot exiting on to WB Anderson.

A|pine
06-09-2009, 01:13 PM

Haha I always wait back a little for this one too to make sure I have enough room to windup through the S turns (without getting into traffic).

Since I live down Bow Bottom, Coming off Canyon Meadows and a right turn onto Bow Bottom south can be good (it is a yield sign) but I've memorized the traffic light pattern so I know when I can give a little toe-heel and blip of the throttle.

Fuji
06-09-2009, 04:10 PM
John Laurier to Sarcee ... it's a crazy decreasing radius thats fun but you will eat crap on if you enter too hot - I've seen about 5 cars written off on that corner

5fivespeed
06-09-2009, 04:20 PM

Deerfoot->Glenmore westbound
similar consecutive turn section to the last one, though I don't take it nearly as much so its a little sketchy sometimes going fast here since I don't know where the bumps are.

I love 3rd gear pulling through here.

Ray

JTC180
06-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Nissan_Fanboy

Remember that night, the turn from country hills onto beddington blvd.
That was freeeeekkkky, come around flyyyin, and theres a check stop!

HOLY BALLZ :nut:

I come over the crest and bam I thought I was done for sure... I had to keep checking my mirrors for a few km till we turned to make sure they werent following us...

Nissan_Fanboy
06-09-2009, 04:35 PM

I come over the crest and bam I thought I was done for sure... I had to keep checking my mirrors for a few km till we turned to make sure they werent following us...

Yeahh man, like the 2nd week of having my license.
Scared Shit-less!

Pretty fun though !

DeeK
06-10-2009, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by bituerbo

Uhm theres always sherriffs patrolling 762.

I never ever saw any during the 3.5 years that I drove it 4 times a week.

zieg
06-10-2009, 12:10 PM
I've always been a fan of Glenmore westbound -> Southbound 14th st. SW

Go4Long
06-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by DeeK

I never ever saw any during the 3.5 years that I drove it 4 times a week.

something about a couple people dieing on it in the course of a year caused them to up the patrols, it's VERY heavily patrolled now from june through september.

OBCR is also good, but generally BAD if you mess it up, again, numerous people have died trying to turn that road in to a race track.

best corner in calgary? turn 3:
http://members.shaw.ca/steveis/racecity.jpg

as it sits right now this is the last year for race city in calgary...so get out and use it.

ShermanEF9
06-10-2009, 05:24 PM
deerfoot to memorial east if theres no traffic. nice moderate curved uphill.

turbotrip
06-10-2009, 05:47 PM
the hamptons grand prix! lol i know some of you guys know what im talking about...
highly unsafe but also highly fun

Eleanor
06-10-2009, 07:49 PM
SB Crowchild -> EB 16 Ave.

NB Charleswood Drive -> Morley Trail

NB Home Road -> EB 32 Ave.

:devil:

JTC180
06-10-2009, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip
the hamptons grand prix! lol i know some of you guys know what im talking about...

Is that a race around the Hamptons Community or what? Just wondering because theres a bunch of guys who gather in the Hamptons at night with their cars and chill.

JTC180
06-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Stony Trail -> Nose Hill Drive. Used to be more fun before they fixed the dip...

Redlyne_mr2
06-10-2009, 08:48 PM
85st sw, basically head south from the intersection of 17th ave and 85th street. It's bumper and twisty and narrow so make sure there isn't any oncoming traffic lol.

JTC180
06-10-2009, 08:51 PM
The C.O.P. switchbacks are also awesome if your not stuck behind some bitch doing 20 as I was tonight.

Xamim
06-10-2009, 08:59 PM
The road that takes you up to COP, with all the hairpins. Forgot what it was called.

Edit: I'm too slow :(

JTC180
06-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Xamim
The road that takes you up to COP, with all the hairpins. Forgot what it was called.

Beat you too it. Read one post above yours. I am lucky enough to have to drive that road to get to and from work...

buh_buh
06-10-2009, 10:19 PM
a couple other ones I just remembered are Southland->Deerfoot south if there's no traffic, and the road coming out of Deerfoot Meadows->Deerfoot south even though there's 2 little bumps in the middle of the high speed turn. I see my traction control flicker once in a while coming out of there.

Mibz
06-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Southland -> Deerfoot S is always covered with some kind of debris when I take it. Trees or rock or mattresses, doesn't matter. There will always be -something- that prevents me from pushing it.

Even the times I do get a chance to have fun, there's some idiot in the right lane doing 80 that decides he wants to merge into me.

diamondedge
06-10-2009, 11:35 PM
John Laurie -> McKnight.

Something about descending those curves. Mind you I don't take them as fast as some of you..

:poosie:

HiSpec
06-10-2009, 11:58 PM
the JL -> McKnight turn is really fun... but I find it really bumpy!!!

Crowchild -> Northland Drive, now they fix the dip underneath the overpass, you can take that turn quite fast.

Stoney Trail -> 16th ave (both directions)

OUT OF CALGARY:

Richmond, BC: Bridgeport Rd (Westbound) -> Russ Baker Way intersection, downhill decreasing radius S-turn

Sebasshole
06-11-2009, 12:04 AM
Evergreen? loff james mckevit down the road. goes to the indian reserve, nice right hand turn super smooth, straight then a nice left hand turn, lots of fun both ways no cars in sight after 11pm

Sebasshole
06-11-2009, 12:07 AM
deerfoot south to 22x everynight. ALOT OF FUN!

sorry if these are reposts, i read the first and last page

rockanrepublic
06-11-2009, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by turbotrip

i always drop off a friend in the hamptons various times of the night on various days never seen any cars racing or in my rearview. i call bs on this legend (if you can call it that)

rage2
06-11-2009, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor
SB Crowchild -> EB 16 Ave.
I fucking HATE this corner. Not because it sucks, but they have a yield sign in the middle of that that really should be on the university drive side. It makes no sense, it's nearly blind to see traffic coming because it's coming from below you. I always worry there, pretty much come to a near stop to make sure there's no traffic coming.

hampstor
06-11-2009, 08:58 AM
Not in Calgary.. but the switchback on highway 579 just passed water valley to the forestry trunk road. This is a road you Subaru guys would drool over.

All gravel, lots of left/right widens/tightens turns, hairpins, you name it. Takes you about an hour to get thru depending on how fast/slow you are going. It's like a friggin rally road :love:

JTC180
06-11-2009, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by rockanrepublic

i always drop off a friend in the hamptons various times of the night on various days never seen any cars racing or in my rearview. i call bs on this legend (if you can call it that)

Yeah I live in the Hamptons and I dont ever see any races, but theres a bunch of car guys that gather most nights in the community parking lot to hang out...

zipdoa
06-11-2009, 09:25 AM
#1 - Old Banff Coach Road
#2 - Sarcee -> Crowchild eastbound on-ramp
#3 - Take a right off 53rd Street NW and bag all the way down varsity drive. Much more fun than taking a left and hitting 5 stop signs.
#4 Left off Dalhousie Drive -> Dalhart drive (hard right) ... Also a point of interest is that Brett Hart's old house is up the street!

turbotrip
06-11-2009, 03:51 PM

i always drive around calgary on various days and have never seen you, i call bs that you exist

civic_stylez
06-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by GT.....O?
old banff coach road

everyone says there is always cops on that road but i live beside it and never see any..

on the bike that road is HEAVEN!:love:

rockanrepublic
06-12-2009, 04:23 AM
on westbound highway 8 right after 69th street you take first right the left then first right its an mazing but small road

cloud7
06-12-2009, 09:25 AM
I personally like the tighter, more challenging corners better than the more wide open curves... yes, you can carry much more speed through those, but they are just not as fun.

Here are those that I drive thru regularly:

EB John Laurie -> McKnight
SB Deerfoot -> WB Memorial
NB 5 Avenue -> EB Memorial (out of downtown)

Matlok77
06-13-2009, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by civic_stylez

Agreed! My gf lives in Valley Ridge and I've been known to sneak out to OBC to burn some of the chicken strips off of my tires there... I have only been on it twice this season but saw different R1's there both times. :thumbsup:

Matlok77
06-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by GT.....O?
old banff coach road

Cops!...just got back from a spirited run there. I was carving it from the highway in (eastbound) and opened it up on the straight up top. With no body behind me I decided to practice some high-speed emergency braking and my timing couldn't have been better... There was a squad car posted on that left hand side road not far over the crest. They followed me all the way down bow trail...

keep your eyes peeled and stay safe...

Panic
06-19-2009, 05:37 PM
if you take highway 8 to lower spring bank road then turn onto 85th street, thats a really cool curvy road.

you&me
06-19-2009, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Panic
if you take highway 8 to lower spring bank road then turn onto 85th street, thats a really cool curvy road.

Careful for inattentive cyclists!

rockanrepublic
06-22-2009, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by you&me

Careful for inattentive cyclists!

if you send a friend ahead of you to make sure the coast is clear its amazing:thumbsup:

mr2mike
06-25-2009, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by HiSpec

Stoney Trail -> 16th ave (both directions)

16th onto Stoney if no one's around and you can use both lanes is amazing if you know how to pick the apex's but slow down for the bump going onto the bridge.

I find a lot of the places people mention are pretty bumpy. What are you guys driving? Obviously not stiff suspension.

Tomaz
06-25-2009, 12:22 PM
Keeping control from SB Deerfoot -> NB Barlow (Flying J) can be difficult. If it wasn't so bumpy, that makes for a good turn!

I am hoping that the ring road has some good curves to it too!

rockanrepublic
06-27-2009, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Ogden+Rd+SE&daddr=Highfield+Blvd+SE+to:51.00857,-114.002123+to:Ogdendale+Rd+SE+to:Ogden+Rd+SE&hl=en&geocode=FQiBCgMdAAo0-Q%3BFSBzCgMdLPcz-Q%3B%3BFcwDCgMdNJ40-Q%3BFWh7CgMdjhc0-Q&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=2&sz=14&via=1,2,3&sll=51.000415,-114.011307&sspn=0.037432,0.076904&ie=UTF8&ll=51.004412,-114.012337&spn=0.037429,0.076904&z=14
Only Left turns are Highfield -> 12 Street and 12 Street to 46 ave and 61 Ave -> Ogdendale Rd.

i tried this last night and god damn it was kinda hard to find/follow the first time but there are some very nice corners
i did however run into one police car luckily it was in one of the turns so i wasn't exactly speeding.:thumbsup:

rockanrepublic
06-27-2009, 11:24 PM
also what are the hours for the "cop switchbacks" im pretty sure you cant go there at night right?

sidewaysD
06-28-2009, 12:36 AM
There are some pretty crazy corners.. two to three in combination that is tight and narrow to the road that leads to upper Elbow valley.

also the area in lot creek that is under construction also has some curvy roads.

sneek
06-28-2009, 12:50 AM
one of my favorites is bow trail onto Sarcee

PremiumRSX
07-01-2009, 10:13 AM
Crowchild S -> Glenmore E

Anybody drifted that bridge before?

Go4Long
07-01-2009, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by civic_stylez

ride vancouver island for a day and you'll think it sucks...even the highways on the island are twistier than Old Banff coach road.

mr2mike
07-01-2009, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by sneek
one of my favorites is bow trail onto Sarcee

Which direction?

Originally posted by PremiumRSX

There's that big dip on that corner right before the decline. It's been there since I can remember. Saw a guy almost lose control of his Z28 back in high school on it. Outside lane too.

I see the province is planning on upgrading the 1A to Banff.... that had some good corners but it's since gone to crap IMO.

prae
07-01-2009, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by PremiumRSX

definitely kicked my tail end out a few times last winter because if the ice.

DORRIFFTOO

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-01-2009, 12:00 PM
also what are the hours for the "cop switchbacks" im pretty sure you cant go there at night right?

Depends. It seems like they lock it up around 11 at night, but ive gotten in at 4 in the morning before. Pick off-peak hours and try not to run into security. Im unfortunately on "probation" from security, because I work at the ski-jumps, and I always bomb up there.

JordanEG6
07-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Some of these have been mentioned already, but I love these corners and little roads

16th Ave Cloverleaf
Sarcee --> 16th EB
John Laurie --> McKnight EB transistion
17th ave EB --> Crowchild North (if the light is green)
Crowchild South --> 9th Ave Downtown

Late night I like

The downhill/uphill at Canada Olympic Road from the top of Cougar Ridge back entrance/85th to 16th Ave. No steel rails or concrete on the apex's. Lots of trees and sharp turns, so you can't see on-coming traffic, so drivers be careful.

Can't really use the full advantage of the wide road or hit the apex's properly during the day because of on coming traffic and mountain bikers, but its nice at night.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff142/jordandino/misc/map.jpg

The downhill on Edworthy St. to the park by Bow Trail is nice too, with large dust margins incase you happen to understeer. Nice beginner stretch of road to practice lines. Again, do so at night. Never during the day, there may be people hiking or riding bikes.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff142/jordandino/misc/edworthymap.jpg

ATARI
07-06-2009, 05:06 PM
flyover onto deerfoot near douglasdale,
anything over 80 catches air

waiwai
07-06-2009, 05:11 PM
I would say corner 2 and 3 at race city

whiskas
07-06-2009, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6
Crowchild South --> 9th Ave Downtown

Had a BMW poser with a boosted M3 follow me into this corner, poor lil cupcake couldn't keep up with me. If you have good summer tires (<200TWR) you can take this safely at around 80kph.

A warning though, it is a mildly decreasing radius corner, and it just so happens the road becomes less cambered as it slightly tightens. Don't get too happy on the throttle after the exit because right now there's a 50kph construction zone after it and cops are ALWAYS there during radar.

mutsuraboshi
07-06-2009, 05:44 PM
center st northbound > 40 ave NW westbound > 4 st NW northbound > McKnight Blvd.>>John Laurie Blvd. westbound > :poosie:

rockanrepublic
07-11-2009, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6
The downhill on Edworthy St. to the park by Bow Trail is nice too, with large dust margins incase you happen to understeer. Nice beginner stretch of road to practice lines. Again, do so at night. Never during the day, there may be people hiking or riding bikes.

i like this one but there is a big pothole halfway down but yea great practice at about 5-6am its dead literally no one.