PDA

View Full Version : No Internet connection from Telus

Daxin
06-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Hi, I'm posting for a friend of mine, since she doesn't have internet anymore ever since she switch from shaw to telus.

I was wondering if the settings need to be different on IE or any configurations need to be changed when switching over to Telus.

I have no experience with telus regarding internet.

Thanx

Grogador
06-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Daxin
...switch from shaw to telus.

epic fail! but anyways... what lights are solid/blinking on the modem? do you have microfilters on all the other telephones in the house? is it an apartment or house? did you call Telus to activate the account? did they bother activating the DSLAM yet? ok ok, start with the first/simple one :)

rage2
06-09-2009, 04:20 AM
3 years contract with telus for a free $400 PC right? Or was it those cute Telus commercials that got her? :)

Daxin
06-09-2009, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by rage2
3 years contract with telus for a free $400 PC right? Or was it those cute Telus commercials that got her? :)
LOL. I don't have a clue why she would change. Because she is so stressed out, I am not about to hassle her.

Daxin
06-09-2009, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Grogador

epic fail! but anyways... what lights are solid/blinking on the modem? do you have microfilters on all the other telephones in the house? is it an apartment or house? did you call Telus to activate the account? did they bother activating the DSLAM yet? ok ok, start with the first/simple one :)

I'll ask about the lights on the modem. Far as I know, it is a house with no filters on the telephone. I believe she has told me that she was on the phone with telus regarding this issue and it was never resolved. They must have activated the DSLAM.

Grogador
06-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Daxin
I'll ask about the lights on the modem. Far as I know, it is a house with no filters on the telephone. I believe she has told me that she was on the phone with telus regarding this issue and it was never resolved. They must have activated the DSLAM.

Telus is notorious for being slow/disorganized with the actual DSLAM activation on their end. Anyway, you want to have a really good look at your inside wiring first, because they charge something like $80/hr to work in your house past their demarc.

1) check the electrical panel for a little black box with phone wires going in/out of it, that's called a POTS filter. The previous owner might have had ADSL, and this filters the signal from all telephone outlets except the "internet" one. If you have one of these, it may take a bit of troubleshooting/re-wiring to get the modem going where you want it

2) otherwise, you need to have a microfilter (the Telus ones look kinda like this (http://www.supplierlist.com/photo_images/91931/ADSL_Microfilter_for_Asia_and_America_Customer.jpg)) on every phone extension that is NOT the ADSL modem

Lights on the modem are definitely the first step in this maze...

Is she cute? Does she drink? Heavily? :D

dennisaur
06-09-2009, 11:08 AM
i remember back then when i had telus, i had to call and give them my mac address before it actually worked. i don't know if that is still the case nowadays but worth a shot i guess