PDA

View Full Version : Used mattress hygiene...your thoughts?

l/l/rX
06-08-2009, 10:36 PM
So I've spread the bedroom reno bug to a couple of my other friends. They're in the process of beginning to renovate their rooms and upgrading to queen sized beds.

Right now I'm sleeping on a old school single bed/ bed frame. My friends have double beds and nice frames that would go good with my room. I'm going to take one of their frames, but now here's the hygiene question.

I'm not as ballin' as them and buying a new double mattress (decent one goes for around $550-$750) is just not feasible at the moment as I am going on a very expensive vacation soon. What are your thoughts on me taking their mattress along with the frame?

I'll shampoo the sucker and I'll also buy a mattress pillow thing that will go under my sheets.

In a sense would it not just be like sleeping on a hotel mattress?

Should I or should I not?

S13_Ryan
06-08-2009, 10:39 PM
I don't see why not. Unless they're complete slobs and the matresses have piss marks all over them

Kritafo
06-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Well I would give these people a call get a quote.

Vapor Tech Mattress Cleaning & Restoration
Write a review
13 Panamount Green NW
Calgary, AB T3K 5R6
(403) 280-1664‎

If not I would lysol the entire thing and get a new mattress pad. But yes it would be just like sleeping on a hotel mattress at least you know the some of the habits of your roommates.

BigMass
06-08-2009, 11:32 PM
who sleeps directly on the mattress anyways? That's what sheets are for

TC06
06-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Go rent one of those steamer things(where you just use water) too.
I would steam it once let it dry, Lysol and let it dry, then steam it again.

l/l/rX
06-08-2009, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by TC06
Go rent one of those steamer things(where you just use water) too.
I would steam it once let it dry, Lysol and let it dry, then steam it again.

could an iron be used to the same effect???

ZorroAMG
06-09-2009, 02:32 AM
Get a cheap pillow top, throw it on, put sheets, sleep well.

FiveFreshFish
06-09-2009, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
I'll shampoo the sucker and I'll also buy a mattress pillow thing that will go under my sheets.

Will that get rid of any bed bugs, if any?

Isaiah
06-09-2009, 03:00 AM
So I've spread...the...bug to a couple of my other friends.
Not the best way to start a mattress hygiene thread. I think your subconscious is trying to tell you something.

TC06
06-09-2009, 03:01 AM

could an iron be used to the same effect???

I'd rather go for something that can spray the steam in, and steam kills 99.99% of bedbugs.

TKRIS
06-09-2009, 09:13 AM
This kind of pussy bullshit is why no one keeps score in soccer anymore, and we all have fucking peanut allergies.

As previously mentioned, unless you're associating with known bed-wetters, throw a sheet on that fucker and enjoy your free shit.

l/l/rX
06-09-2009, 09:33 AM
Haha thanks for your replies / input. I was just curious to see what your guys' opinion was on this.

Sugarphreak
06-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Will that get rid of any bed bugs, if any?

Calgary doesn't have bed bugs... does it?

I think the only thing we have to worry about is dust mites

l/l/rX
06-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

To be honest with you I didn't even think about bed bugs. It was just hygiene in general about using a used mattress.

B4tMan
06-09-2009, 10:50 AM

Of course there are. Go to your local 3* motel and some "immigrants" will move in your bed soon after

Kennyredline
06-09-2009, 12:19 PM

I manage my apartment building...since last Sept. we've had the exterminator come around twice for bedbugs. They have been in Calgary for a year or two, they have migrated from the eastern part of Canada.
I would not only check those free mattresses very carefully, but I would have them cleaned by professionals.

l/l/rX
06-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Kennyredline

I would not only check those free mattresses very carefully, but I would have them cleaned by professionals.

Its not just a free mattress from some random its my cousins mattress.

arian_ma
06-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by TKRIS
This kind of pussy bullshit is why no one keeps score in soccer anymore, and we all have fucking peanut allergies.

As previously mentioned, unless you're associating with known bed-wetters, throw a sheet on that fucker and enjoy your free shit.
Wanting to be clean is considered pussy shit nowadays? Why don't we all take a shit in outhouses and bathe once a week as well to avoid being pussies.

TKRIS
06-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma

Wanting to be clean is considered pussy shit nowadays? Why don't we all take a shit in outhouses and bathe once a week as well to avoid being pussies.

In your case, that would barely constitute a step in the right direction.
:poosie:

arian_ma
06-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by TKRIS

In your case, that would barely constitute a step in the right direction.
:poosie:
:rofl: hate you so much...

sputnik
06-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma

There is a VERY wide gap between "clean" and "paranoid".

No one is going to die or be harmed from sleeping on a mattress that someone else once slept on. Do you ever go to hotels? Do you think that you are the first person sleeping on the mattress there?

The fact that people even worry about the topic shows how retarded and paranoid society has gotten.

I stick with the following rule of thumb when it comes to germs.

If I can't see it. It probably isn't worth worrying about.

So in the case of a mattress. If I don't see any stains, mold or bedbugs, it is probably just fine.

Sugarphreak
06-09-2009, 03:58 PM

Xtrema
06-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
So in the case of a mattress. If I don't see any stains, mold or bedbugs, it is probably just fine.

At least in Alberta, we are pretty dry here. You need to be a pretty dirty fuck to have bedbugs or mold.

Jimmy01
06-17-2009, 02:16 PM
Hi : l/l/rX if you want a good mattress at the best possible price go hear. If you phone the guy you can get even a better deal. Jimmy. www.beddingandmattress.ca

eblend
06-18-2009, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by Jimmy01
Hi : l/l/rX if you want a good mattress at the best possible price go hear. If you phone the guy you can get even a better deal. Jimmy. www.beddingandmattress.ca

I don't hear anything? haha :nut:

eblend
06-18-2009, 07:16 AM

I always thought we were safe because of the cold winters, although I never even heard of a single case in Vancouver when I lived there either.

Was in Surrey for like 3 hours at a hotel with my folks, Dad was tired and went to bed when we stoped in a Motel. 1 Hour later he wakes up with blood on his leg and freaking bed bugs crawling...nastiest shit ever!

As for me, I sleep on a used matrass and don't care. I bought one of those memory foam toppers and threw it on top, so really the matress underneath is just to provide hight and extra softness.

seadog
06-18-2009, 12:09 PM
+1 for paranoid society, I came here with a expectation to read about the hygiene of a pissed on mattress or something, which would be a real question (beside the mental heeby jeebies - any actual risk?), not a what appears to be otherwise fine one.

eblend, on a scale of nastiest shit ever, I'm sorry to say your dads case, and bed bugs in general rank pretty low. A minor annoyance perhaps. Oh no, bugs bit me. I've had mosquito bites bleed. Thats what bites do.

I saw a gorilla eat his shit in the washington zoo, half rotted food off the floor etc. Before all this pussy footing about germs came to be, I would say the human body would have had similar mechanisms to deal with microbial nasties.