PDA

View Full Version : Insuring US Cars

max_boost
08-20-2002, 11:31 AM
Since there are certain vehicles that are available to the US but not to Canada i.e. MR2 Spyder.

Would it be possible to get a cousin to register/insure the car in the States but send you the plates so you can drive the car here? Is that possible? Or is there a limit on how long you can drive a out of country car here?

One major problem I can think of is, if you crash, that would raise some insurance issues, unless you pay the guy off, of course!

Ferio_vti
08-20-2002, 11:41 AM
Even with out of province plate cars, they're only allowed to be in a different province for so long, then have to get a new plate if they plan to stay. So it would be best to assume you'd have to make the US plate car look like its only visiting from the US.

I've heard some people will get a fake address and plate from Sask and avoid having to pay higher insurance. Every once in a while have someone from Sask mail them a bunch of gas receipts and make it look like they are really from Sask.

RiceCake
08-20-2002, 11:43 AM
hmm.. I have a few friends driving around calgary with bc and sask plates for cheaper insurance... just make sure the car is garaged and that its not contantly parked outside your house as people may become curious about residency.. :dunno:

Ferio_vti
08-20-2002, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by RiceCake
hmm.. I have a few friends driving around calgary with bc and sask plates for cheaper insurance... just make sure the car is garaged and that its not contantly parked outside your house as people may become curious about residency.. :dunno:

That's what I've heard too. Otherwise jerk off neighbors will alert the City and shit all over your insurance trick.
Chances are you probably could do that with a US plate car. Just don't drive it all the time and draw unwanted attention.

Redlyne_mr2
08-20-2002, 11:51 AM
yes thats possible... my best friends sister has a white GSR with PA plates on it, shes been in red deer for 3 years..the car is tinted out it pratically drags on the ground but the police dont even bother her because of her plates:thumbsup:

Ferio_vti
08-20-2002, 11:54 AM
PA?? What state is that??

bol
08-20-2002, 11:58 AM
The sask/BC insurance scam is kinda silly. I mean if you're ever in a big accident or something and they decide to deny you coverage and charge you with insurance fraud, you might as well been driving without insurance for that time period.

You just gotta hope you don't have to make a claim.

Redlyne_mr2
08-20-2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti
PA?? What state is that??
pennsylvania

Ferio_vti
08-20-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by bol
The sask/BC insurance scam is kinda silly. I mean if you're ever in a big accident or something and they decide to deny you coverage and charge you with insurance fraud, you might as well been driving without insurance for that time period.

You just gotta hope you don't have to make a claim.

Good way to make yourself a better driver. Be more cautious and less of an ass on the road.

Hakkola
08-20-2002, 12:29 PM
I had a neighbour who came up here for 2 years, I don't believe she ever took the Texas plates off her Jag or Van.

HRD2PLZ
08-20-2002, 12:38 PM
I've got a friend that still drives around with Saskatchewan plates on her Daytona...She doesn't even have an Alberta drivers license. Been her 3 years I think...:dunno:

I wanted to do that too though, as long as I go back to either BC or Saskatchewan enough I'll probably get away with it. We know all our neighbours and I don't think any of them would care...Plus, I have my own garage :D

legendboy
08-20-2002, 01:01 PM
D-plate:D

boi-alien
08-20-2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by legendboy

keep in mind this is a high roller option! :D

max_boost
08-20-2002, 02:37 PM
Can some explain to me how the D plates work?
I believe they are dealer plates and anyone is allowed to drive the car? Would insurance be extremely expensive then?

Redlyne_mr2
08-20-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Can some explain to me how the D plates work?
I believe they are dealer plates and anyone is allowed to drive the car? Would insurance be extremely expensive then?
they arent very expensive at all

max_boost
08-20-2002, 02:40 PM
My gf is going to Montreal for school next year. I am begging her to insure a car for me so I will be driving around with a Quebec plate! My parents won't insure a roadster for me because it is unpractical and they say I don't need a car like that. And I will not pay $10K for insurance on a roadster! But there will be a way! I will find a way! hahaz

Ed the SOHC
08-20-2002, 02:43 PM
wtf??? roadster? what about your 323? :dunno:

HRD2PLZ
08-20-2002, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by legendboy

How'd you score that?

Stratus_Power
08-20-2002, 03:04 PM
they let u drive a BMW but not a roadster :P hm

max_boost
08-20-2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Ed the SOHC
wtf??? roadster? what about your 323? :dunno:

I was thinking of keeping the 323 and maybe finance a S2K but it all depends how my finances are looking next year. Or another option might be a E46Cab.

My car doesn't have enough power and I don't really want to Supercharge it because of what happened the last time around.

Ed, if I was more discipline like you, I would have bought a house already. But I just can't and I rather try to buy another car instead of blowing all my money on one!!!!

2000impreza
08-20-2002, 03:10 PM
i'd becareful doing that because if you get into a accident you will screw over your gf's insurance. but hey who cares if your rolling around in a s2k right?:love:

Dr. Evil
08-20-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
i.e. MR2 Spyder.

I'm sorry, but Canada made a wise decision in not letting the new MR2 Spyder in the country.

Redlyne_mr2
08-20-2002, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Evil

I'm sorry, but Canada made a wise decision in not letting the new MR2 Spyder in the country.
why...
is it because its a 2 seater with MR setup, great handling and tons of aftermarket support:confused:

HRD2PLZ
08-20-2002, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Evil

How is that a wise decision? I saw them everywhere in Europe and I absolutely love 'em
:dunno:

legendboy
08-20-2002, 05:57 PM
D PLATE: Go to city hall and register a home based business of "motor vehicle dealer, no premes" Pay a 1 time fee of $76. Fill out AMVIC paper work, send in with a check for $300. Once AMVIC has approved u, take the 1 day class. Its $90. Then once all thats done, go back down to city hall and pay the yearly fee of $150. Get your business licence and go to your insurance. The D Plate is based on your personal insurance so the cost is relative. I was paying $3500 yr for pl and pd and a D plate with liability only was $325 per year. I had one for 2 years...I keep it now for a dummy plate that I can use.

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/legend88/Smiles/smilecoin.gif

HRD2PLZ
08-20-2002, 05:59 PM
Sweet! I might actually do that....:D