PDA

View Full Version : Speeding ticket in Washinton-state: Help!

Envitro99
06-09-2009, 08:44 AM
Hey everyone,

just wondered if anyone knew what the best way was to get out of, or reduce a speeding ticket in WA?

I drove down from Vancouver with a rental and I got clocked for a $185USD ticket. Nothing huge, but don't want it on my record (is that even going to show up on my Alberta driving record??) and want to know what the best route to go is?

Thanks!

bjstare
06-09-2009, 08:47 AM
It definitely won't show up on your Alberta record. I got one last year in WA, and just paid it online, really simple. I was even late on my payment and called the DOT fines people and the lady was super nice and gave me like a 3 week extension.

Heck you could even just not pay it, just hope you never get pulled over in WA again!

Super_Geo
06-09-2009, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Envitro99
Hey everyone,

just wondered if anyone knew what the best way was to get out of, or reduce a speeding ticket in WA?

I drove down from Vancouver with a rental and I got clocked for a $185USD ticket. Nothing huge, but don't want it on my record (is that even going to show up on my Alberta driving record??) and want to know what the best route to go is?

Thanks!

You can skip paying on it if you figure you won't get pulled over in Washington in the next 5 years. So if you're on a road trip through Washington just let someone else drive. And cross the border at Montana.

Redlyne_mr2
06-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

You can skip paying on it if you figure you won't get pulled over in Washington in the next 5 years. So if you're on a road trip through Washington just let someone else drive. And cross the border at Montana.

bituerbo
06-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Yeah I'm waiting out a BC ticket for $295 with the same hopes that it will expire after 5 years. Lots of trips to BC, even got pulled over once and the cop told me it was too much of a hassle to give an AB person a ticket since we rarely pay.
I think I REALLY lucked out that time, as I'm quite sure I've got a bench warrant out for my arrest for the initial ticket back in '07.

Das Auto
06-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Some states relay their overdue tickets to the border cops, it's just best to pay the ticket and not worry about having your car impounded at the border.

pyroza
06-09-2009, 02:09 PM
I'd just pay it to be safe.

911fever
06-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Das Auto
Some states relay their overdue tickets to the border cops, it's just best to pay the ticket and not worry about having your car impounded at the border.

agreed

Envitro99
06-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Thanks everyone!

Super_Geo
06-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Das Auto

I don't think Washington does... I got a speeding ticket there 3-4 years ago and I've been back to Washington twice since to go to Sasquatch and I've never had an issue.

Haha my aunt lives in Santa Monica and when she used to visit Calgary she'd set the cruise control at 160km/hr going to Banff. She got 2 tickets in the week that she was here, never paid them, had no issues.

Xtrema
06-10-2009, 11:18 AM
^ Never did != Never will.

It's cheap enough that I would just pay it. Instead of it so happen that 5 years down the road and you're there for urgent business and got stop.

leec001
06-10-2009, 05:31 PM
Remember you have a rental. If you are not paying for it, they will charge the rental company. And, you have signed the agreement that you are responsible for the tickets. They may charge your credit card.

seadog
06-17-2009, 12:58 PM
I always wondered if they could blanketly do that? This isn't photo radar, or a parking ticket with no driver. If my friend is driving my car, here, there anywhere and doesn't pay the ticket, it doesn't follow the car/owner. As far as a regualr ticket goes, isn't the beef between the driver/gov't authority?