PDA

View Full Version : Sutter Resigns as Devils Head Coach

masoncgy
06-09-2009, 12:00 PM
CBC.ca (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2009/06/09/sp-devils-conference.html)

Brent Sutter has stepped down as head coach of the New Jersey Devils.

Sutter, who has coached the team the last two seasons, made the announcement Tuesday at a press conference. He said being away from his family, who are in Red Deer, Alta., was the reason behind his decision, and that the possibility of coaching in Calgary had "zero" to do with it.

* Yes, of course it had nothing to do with a job available alongside your brother in Calgary... ;)

Stay tuned for a Calgary Flames news conference.

Ajay
06-09-2009, 12:23 PM
In order for him to coach in Calgary the Devil's have to give the Flames permission to talk to him.

There's no guarantee that the Devil's GM will allow that to happen since Brent Sutter still has a year left on his deal with the Devils. Probably will allow it since Calgary plays in the west and NJ in the east. If Sutter stepped down to coach say the Rangers pretty sure Lou wouldn't give permission.

CKY
06-09-2009, 01:33 PM
And the pieces starts falling in place

:goflames:

max_boost
06-09-2009, 01:39 PM
YEP. Welcome home Brent :D:goflames:

510-Trevor
06-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Don't hold your breath guys.
Remeber 2 years when Brent went to the Devils, Calgary was also looking for a coach and apparently Brent was never considered, instead Daryl hired Iron Mike.
I think you will see Brent return to the Rebels which will give Brian some free time.

SilverGS
06-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by 510-Trevor
Don't hold your breath guys.
Remeber 2 years when Brent went to the Devils, Calgary was also looking for a coach and apparently Brent was never considered, instead Daryl hired Iron Mike.
I think you will see Brent return to the Rebels which will give Brian some free time.

Yes but Daryl said he didn't want to play favourites because he is his brother. Especially since Brent did not have a lot of NHL coaching experience. That is no longer the case. He is an NHL coach with a good record, took his team to the playoffs both years, and was not in danger of being let go of current management.

I guess it could be family issues but it seems odd that he would resign unless they already knew that Lou would give permission for Calgary to talk to Brent.

20incheyes
06-09-2009, 02:12 PM
I'm hoping the Alberta boys end up coaching our flames!

DonJuan
06-09-2009, 04:05 PM
I liked Iron Mike. Especially when he arrived and Mike Richards "Flames of our lives show" Hilarious!

guessboi
06-09-2009, 04:47 PM
nice. hope brent is coming to town, close to his home. :rolleyes: