PDA

View Full Version : recommend an optometrist? one that will give me my contact lens prescription?

nonlinear
06-09-2009, 12:57 PM
it has been years and years since i've last seen an optometrist, and since it's covered by my work insurance I figure I might as well go. I really need new glasses, and have lots of contacts still, so I would want an exam for glasses and contacts, but would only want to buy glasses and take the contact prescription with me (and order them online at a later date). the problem is that most optometrists won't give you your contact prescription, since they want you to buy the lenses at them (with super high prices).

does anyone know of an optometrist who will let me take my contact prescription without buying lenses form them? also, i'm looking for an exam by a real optometrist - not a technician.

thanks!

roopi
06-09-2009, 12:59 PM
I go to a place in South Center mall. Always gives me the prescriptions when i ask. No idea what the place is called though. It is upstairs near the Bay/EB Games

Enhance
06-09-2009, 01:08 PM
I get my exams done at Dr. Bishop and associates in northland mall.. They always give me a sheet with my prescription on it afterward.

Wraith
06-09-2009, 01:22 PM
I go to Dr. Bishop in Soutcentre and when I said I wasn't interested in ordering contacts through them they basically said I need to be cautious because contact prescriptions are different (which they may or may not be, idk) from the prescription that they were about give me.

So whatever, I figured I would be saving ~$15 if I were to get them online and ended off buying contacts from them anyways. Compared the boxes with the prescription, exact same numbers, BS or coincidence? :banghead:

nonlinear
06-09-2009, 01:52 PM
thanks for all the suggestions so far, but keep in mind that at dr. bishop it's not actually a doctor doing the exams, but instead just a tech (i know cause i had a friend who did them at dr. bishop at northland - and he had only a high school diploma!).

any suggestions for actual doctors?

colinxx235
06-09-2009, 02:00 PM
I go to Dr.Preidt (sp sorry i don't have card near me) right in the avanida square, I have been with him for almost 10 years now, and he does a great job, very friendly and was very thorough in all my prescriptions/fittings for contacts up until helping me with lazer eye, so I would definitely recommend him

ninefourfour
06-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Dr. Priyesh Tawar is at market mall. Urban Optique, he's an awesome young optometrist who would definately just give you the prescription. I'm a little biased as he's my best friend.

Ajay
06-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by ninefourfour
Dr. Priyesh Tawar is at market mall. Urban Optique, he's an awesome young optometrist who would definately just give you the prescription. I'm a little biased as he's my best friend.

I saw him back in October and he was great. He gave me my prescription no questions asked and even mentioned to me that I might be able to find the contacts online for a little cheaper. He also mentioned that if I find glasses at another place they'll be happy to fax over my prescription to wherever I'm buying my glasses from.

Normally I see his colleague, Dr. Kuntz. I've been seeing him for as long as I've lived in Calgary.

:thumbsup: for Urban Optique. I went in a few weeks ago since I'm looking at getting glasses and just wanted a copy of my prescription and they gave it to me no problem.

HiSpec
06-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
thanks for all the suggestions so far, but keep in mind that at dr. bishop it's not actually a doctor doing the exams, but instead just a tech (i know cause i had a friend who did them at dr. bishop at northland - and he had only a high school diploma!).

I would have to disagree with you. What the techs. does is a bunch of preliminary tests that allows the doctor to know approximately where they should start at adjusting your prescription.

Those preliminary test are done with a series of machines that automatically gives them an estimated prescription of your eyes. Also, the machines also provide them with other vital status of your eyes, such as any diseases in your eye.

And, in some cases, the contact lense RX is different than your eye-glass RX. My contact lense is 0.50 sph lower than my eye-glass RX. If I wear contact lense at exactly same RX as my eye-glass RX, I feel very dizzy.

MushiSushi
06-09-2009, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Wraith
I go to Dr. Bishop in Soutcentre and when I said I wasn't interested in ordering contacts through them they basically said I need to be cautious because contact prescriptions are different (which they may or may not be, idk) from the prescription that they were about give me.

So whatever, I figured I would be saving ~$15 if I were to get them online and ended off buying contacts from them anyways. Compared the boxes with the prescription, exact same numbers, BS or coincidence? :banghead:

There is a difference between contact lens prescription and eye glass prescription. I think that's all they're referring to. Shouldn't be much of an issue

BTW, I go to Dr. Bishop as well (northland). Pretty nice people, new tools and equipment, wait time wasn't bad (went around 1pm).

freshprince1
06-09-2009, 02:49 PM
it has been years and years since i've last seen an optometrist

no pun intended.

nonlinear
06-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by HiSpec

I would have to disagree with you. What the techs. does is a bunch of preliminary tests that allows the doctor to know approximately where they should start at adjusting your prescription.

Those preliminary test are done with a series of machines that automatically gives them an estimated prescription of your eyes. Also, the machines also provide them with other vital status of your eyes, such as any diseases in your eye.

Uhh, really? cause i've actually been to Dr. Bishop, and yes it was my friend who gave me the eye exam, and yes, he has only a high school diploma. the doctor came in for like 2 minutes to ask if i was having any problems with my contacts, etc. but didn't do the actual eye exam.

HiSpec
06-09-2009, 09:34 PM

Uhh, really? cause i've actually been to Dr. Bishop, and yes it was my friend who gave me the eye exam, and yes, he has only a high school diploma. the doctor came in for like 2 minutes to ask if i was having any problems with my contacts, etc. but didn't do the actual eye exam.

The techs there are allow to do any preliminary tests, yes, that means if you know how to use the machines, you can do the preliminary test on your friends. Dr. Bishop provides on job training for the preliminary tests, but for the actually examination you will need to be an O.D. to perform any examinations, and the RX they written up will then only be legally usable for any eyewear.

I can tell you that, at other places they will use the same machines (not the exact same machines, but machines that perform the same/similar tests) but it will just be performed by the O.D..

Cooked Rice
06-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Wierd... But if they won't let you know your prescription all you have to do is order something like only 1 box. And there you go, you have all the info you need on the box to order as many as you want online.

riced
06-09-2009, 10:35 PM

What?

I work at Dr. Bishop in Marlborough.. Yes, people are trained to do the pretesting. However, you are seen by the Dr. afterwards. We don't do the exam, like HiSpec said, we give the Dr the basic information they need to work with and they go from there.

Dr. Bishop & Associates have some of the best if not the most intensive pretesting compared to other places. It's not everywhere you get tested for glaucoma, your peripherals, autos, acuity's, and everything in between.

nonlinear
06-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by riced

What?

I work at Dr. Bishop in Marlborough.. Yes, people are trained to do the pretesting. However, you are seen by the Dr. afterwards. We don't do the exam, like HiSpec said, we give the Dr the basic information they need to work with and they go from there.

Dr. Bishop & Associates have some of the best if not the most intensive pretesting compared to other places. It's not everywhere you get tested for glaucoma, your peripherals, autos, acuity's, and everything in between.

...i've actually been to Dr. Bishop, and yes it was my friend who gave me the eye exam, and yes, he has only a high school diploma. the doctor came in for like 2 minutes to ask if i was having any problems with my contacts, etc. but didn't do the actual eye exam.

enough said. i'm not looking for opinions from techs about their place of employment. been there, done that - as i explained that in my initial post.

anyhow, i booked an appointment with Dr. Tawar. it's a bit more expensive, but i'm hoping to get service from a pro.

Dr. Bishop = Dentrix = Jiffy Lube = McDonalds :rolleyes:

VWEvo
06-10-2009, 09:46 AM

enough said. i'm not looking for opinions from techs about their place of employment. been there, done that - as i explained that in my initial post.

anyhow, i booked an appointment with Dr. Tawar. it's a bit more expensive, but i'm hoping to get service from a pro.

Dr. Bishop = Dentrix = Jiffy Lube = McDonalds :rolleyes:

Dr. Tawar FTW!!! Just had my eyes tested there, new facility with all the newer latest testing equipment. Dr. Tawar is a great optometrist!!!

Anton
06-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235
I go to Dr.Preidt (sp sorry i don't have card near me) right in the avanida square, I have been with him for almost 10 years now, and he does a great job, very friendly and was very thorough in all my prescriptions/fittings for contacts up until helping me with lazer eye, so I would definitely recommend him

Dr. Prete. The actual place that you're talking about is Calgary Optometry.

Official Hoser
06-10-2009, 03:56 PM
I recently went to Glenmore Landing Vision Centre and they are refusing to give me my contact lens prescription. However, at least my eye exam was done by the doctor.

kenny
06-10-2009, 03:59 PM
For anyone that can't get their prescription just ask for some samples and make them think you plan on buying a years supply if you're happy with them.

Once you get the samples, you have the prescription and can go buy it yourself elsewhere.

riced
06-10-2009, 09:09 PM
I think those of you complaining that you're not getting seen by a Doctor are seeing an Optician.. like the guys at Wal-Mart.

Optometry's like Dr. Bishop and Dr. Tawar are where you are seen by an actual optometrist.

nonlinear, I'm not trying to argue with you but there is misinformation in your posts..
At all true optometry's, the pre-testing is always done by a trained individual. It doesn't take a doctor to do the pre-testing. It is simply prerequisite testing so that the doctor is aware of any problems.
Once the pre-testing is done, you are off to see the doctor and the health and overall working of your eye is assessed. From there, they do further testing and then determine your prescription, and what not.

BTW Your prescription is your property. It makes no sense for any optical place to hold your prescription and refuse to give it to you should you lose it.

nonlinear
06-10-2009, 11:15 PM
^^my friend had to 'steal' my prescription from dr. bishop's office (that's why i went there in the first place).

HiSpec
06-11-2009, 01:10 AM
I think those of you complaining that you're not getting seen by a Doctor are seeing an Optician.. like the guys at Wal-Mart.

Optometry's like Dr. Bishop and Dr. Tawar are where you are seen by an actual optometrist.

nonlinear, I'm not trying to argue with you but there is misinformation in your posts..
At all true optometry's, the pre-testing is always done by a trained individual. It doesn't take a doctor to do the pre-testing. It is simply prerequisite testing so that the doctor is aware of any problems.
Once the pre-testing is done, you are off to see the doctor and the health and overall working of your eye is assessed. From there, they do further testing and then determine your prescription, and what not.

BTW Your prescription is your property. It makes no sense for any optical place to hold your prescription and refuse to give it to you should you lose it.

Exactly, like I said earlier. Any person that knows how to operate the pre-test equipment can perform the test. I can tell you that, sometimes, should you be the unlucky individual, a pre-test can already determine if your eyes are infested with diseases. Yes, that includes tumor. So I would trust those "associates" at Dr. Bishop and Associates a lot more than them being "Jiffy Lube workers".

Regarding about your prescription, you have every right to have a copy of your prescription after you did your exam and have paid for it (obviously). I have never heard Dr. Bishop not willing to give out the patient's prescription after they had paid for the examination. However, IIRC, contact lens prescription is an extra charge, as there are extra stuff to do during the examination, therefore, if you only paid for the eyeglass examination, you will not get contact lens prescription. Riced, probably be able to shed more light into that matter since he is an employee there.

nonlinear
06-11-2009, 08:56 AM
^^hah! Ok, well than any kid with a wrench can change your oil, too. and like I said before, my friend did the entire test at dr. bishop - the doctor didn't do anything with the test. she just asked me if I was having any problems, etc. I understand that the test relies upon you telling them which image looks clearer, and they jsut turn the dials, however I would feel more comfortable having a doctor do the test.

seriously, my friend is a high school grad, his life is pretty much a mess, bad finances, can't hold down a long term job, etc. etc. etc. If they are hiring HIM to do this kind of work, what does that say about the rest of the techs in that industry? like I said, any kid with a wrench can change oil, however I'd rather pay $30 more for an ASE certified mechanic to do the job.

EDIT: and by the way, dr. bishop DOES NOT give out contact prescriptions. as I said, the only reason I went there in the first place was because my friend worked there and had to steal the prescription for me. you're basically telling me that my experience with the prescription at Dr. Bishop didn't happen, that i should ignore what i've learned in the 20 years i've been wearing contacts, and that everyone else who is reporting similar problems in the thread is lying... and that I should listen to the unbiased advice of one of Dr. Bishop's techs... sure buddy :D

VWEvo
06-11-2009, 09:25 AM
^^hah! Ok, well than any kid with a wrench can change your oil, too. and like I said before, my friend did the entire test at dr. bishop - the doctor didn't do anything with the test. she just asked me if I was having any problems, etc. I understand that the test relies upon you telling them which image looks clearer, and they jsut turn the dials, however I would feel more comfortable having a doctor do the test.

seriously, my friend is a high school grad, his life is pretty much a mess, bad finances, can't hold down a long term job, etc. etc. etc. If they are hiring HIM to do this kind of work, what does that say about the rest of the techs in that industry? like I said, any kid with a wrench can change oil, however I'd rather pay $30 more for an ASE certified mechanic to do the job.

EDIT: and by the way, dr. bishop DOES NOT give out contact prescriptions. as I said, the only reason I went there in the first place was because my friend worked there and had to steal the prescription for me. you're basically telling me that my experience with the prescription at Dr. Bishop didn't happen, that i should ignore what i've learned in the 20 years i've been wearing contacts, and that everyone else who is reporting similar problems in the thread is lying... and that I should listen to the unbiased advice of one of Dr. Bishop's techs... sure buddy :D

I know I had pretesting done by one of the staff members, but the actual prescription test with the different dials and eye chart was done by Dr. Tawar. He also reviewed the picture they took of my retina with me. It seems like Dr. Bishop's place is more of a volume based business, as oppose to some other places where you get more individualized care.

Official Hoser
06-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by kenny
For anyone that can't get their prescription just ask for some samples and make them think you plan on buying a years supply if you're happy with them.

Once you get the samples, you have the prescription and can go buy it yourself elsewhere.

Well, Glenmore Landing charges an additional $75 (after your $99 eye exam) to have their techs "teach you" about contacts and give you a sample. The clinic won't give me samples unless I book the additional appointment. Even if I did book it, I dunno if they'll disclose my contact lens prescription.

Given that my insurance does not cover the $75, I just wanted to order some contacts online or elsewhere.

I wish I went on beyond before getting the eye exam...

nonlinear
06-11-2009, 05:03 PM
just got back from my appointment with Dr. Tawar at urban optique. I have to say it was the best optometrist experience i've ever had. I showed up about 20 minutes early because I didn't want to be late and I had some work reading I could do in the meantime. The girls at the front desk were awesome - super nice and outgoing with lots of jokes. they were all pretty hot too haha.

i though I would be waiting for 20 minutes until my appointment, but to my surprise they were ready to take me then! that was cool cause it saved me 20 minutes of my day! a tech girl took me to the back room and took photos of my eyes, did the puff test, blinded me a couple of times with bright lights, and some other automatic test on my eyes. She didn't do the lens/letter chart on me like my idiot friend did at Dr. Bishop - she took me immediately to Dr. Tawar (no waiting at any point whatsoever!) who did the 'real' testing himself. As mentioned above, Dr. Tawar is a young but very professional optometrist, but i think what makes him stand out is his people skills. he is very modest and down to earth, and told me to call him by his first name (forgot what it is). he explained everything very well and presented all of my various options in an unbiased way. he gave me a trail pair of a new brand of contacts (i had been using acuvue II which are old and make your eyes dry/starving for O2), and also gave me my glasses and contacts prescriptions without even having to ask. He was definitely more focused on providing quality care than making money by selling contacts and glasses. That said, I am going to buy my glasses there, cause I want to support what these guys are doing. i have a box of my old contacts to use up still, but will then probably order online to try and save some cash.

highly recommended A++++++ would go again hahah :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

VWEvo
06-11-2009, 05:24 PM
just got back from my appointment with Dr. Tawar at urban optique. I have to say it was the best optometrist experience i've ever had. I showed up about 20 minutes early because I didn't want to be late and I had some work reading I could do in the meantime. The girls at the front desk were awesome - super nice and outgoing with lots of jokes. they were all pretty hot too haha.

i though I would be waiting for 20 minutes until my appointment, but to my surprise they were ready to take me then! that was cool cause it saved me 20 minutes of my day! a tech girl took me to the back room and took photos of my eyes, did the puff test, blinded me a couple of times with bright lights, and some other automatic test on my eyes. She didn't do the lens/letter chart on me like my idiot friend did at Dr. Bishop - she took me immediately to Dr. Tawar (no waiting at any point whatsoever!) who did the 'real' testing himself. As mentioned above, Dr. Tawar is a young but very professional optometrist, but i think what makes him stand out is his people skills. he is very modest and down to earth, and told me to call him by his first name (forgot what it is). he explained everything very well and presented all of my various options in an unbiased way. he gave me a trail pair of a new brand of contacts (i had been using acuvue II which are old and make your eyes dry/starving for O2), and also gave me my glasses and contacts prescriptions without even having to ask. He was definitely more focused on providing quality care than making money by selling contacts and glasses. That said, I am going to buy my glasses there, cause I want to support what these guys are doing. i have a box of my old contacts to use up still, but will then probably order online to try and save some cash.

Told you :D His real name is Pri by the way.

riced
06-15-2009, 09:16 PM

:facepalm:

I'm sorry, but what you described is EXACTLY what the associates at Dr. Bishop do.

"a tech girl took me to the back room and took photos of my eyes, did the puff test, blinded me a couple of times with bright lights, and some other automatic test on my eyes. She didn't do the lens/letter chart on me like my idiot friend did at Dr. Bishop - she took me immediately to Dr. Tawar (no waiting at any point whatsoever!) who did the 'real' testing himself"

A tech girl, which is the same as your "drop out" friend did your pre-testing.
She took the retinal photos
She did the Glaucoma test AKA puff test
She blinded you a couple times - Vertical phoria/Auto's
She did automatic tests - Peripheral tests
The doctors DO NOT do these tests, as stated before.. where as you insisted the Doctor should do them.

Do you know what the letter chart even is, exactly? We test your visual acuity for Near and Far. You simply read the smallest line of letters that you're able to read and we record whether you got anywhere from 200/20 or 20/20.

After we're done, we send you to the doctor. The doctor does a DIFFERENT letter chart where he/she asks you whether "1" or "2" is clearer and so on. The doctor can then give you your glasses prescription AND contact lens prescription and give you trials.

I honestly don't know how you can make assumptions about a place when you don't know the routine or what exactly is done. I'm not hating on Dr. Tawar, as I'm sure he's a great guy with a great office. I'm just simply trying to clear things up with your misconception about an eye exam and your assumptions.

However, in the end you got what you wanted, which is always a good thing.

saiyajin
06-15-2009, 10:20 PM

I'm sorry, but what you described is EXACTLY what the associates at Dr. Bishop do.

"a tech girl took me to the back room and took photos of my eyes, did the puff test, blinded me a couple of times with bright lights, and some other automatic test on my eyes. She didn't do the lens/letter chart on me like my idiot friend did at Dr. Bishop - she took me immediately to Dr. Tawar (no waiting at any point whatsoever!) who did the 'real' testing himself"

The doctors DO NOT do these tests, as stated before.. where as you insisted the Doctor should do them.

Do you know what the letter chart even is, exactly? We test your visual acuity for Near and Far. You simply read the smallest line of letters that you're able to read and we record whether you got anywhere from 200/20 or 20/20.

After we're done, we send you to the doctor. The doctor does a DIFFERENT letter chart where he/she asks you whether "1" or "2" is clearer and so on. The doctor can then give you your glasses prescription AND contact lens prescription and give you trials.

I honestly don't know how you can make assumptions about a place when you don't know the routine or what exactly is done. I'm not hating on Dr. Tawar, as I'm sure he's a great guy with a great office. I'm just simply trying to clear things up with your misconception about an eye exam and your assumptions.

However, in the end you got what you wanted, which is always a good thing.

ya dont really know what you're talking about nonlinear but essentially what you did at Dr. Tawar is what happens at Dr. Bishop, i have been going there for a couple years and i have never had the ladies do the actual chart and thorough eye examination

the doctor usually takes me in after the initial tests and examines my eye through some telescope to look into the back of my eye for any problems and then test multiple lens with a chart on the far wall to see which provides better vision...:dunno:
:nut:

nonlinear
06-16-2009, 10:43 AM

as I said before, MY FRIEND DID ALL OF THE TESTS ON ME AT DR. BISHOP, including the letter chart where they ask if 1 r 2 is better. do you think i'm somehow making this up or lying about it? what interest would I have in doing that? the doctor at dr. bishop didn't do any tests on me - just basically came in and asked if I was having any problems with my acuvue IIs. I was really unimpressed and underwhelmed with the experience, which is why I was asking for a 'real' doctor in the first place.

gkAeris
06-22-2009, 07:07 PM

as I said before, MY FRIEND DID ALL OF THE TESTS ON ME AT DR. BISHOP, including the letter chart where they ask if 1 r 2 is better. do you think i'm somehow making this up or lying about it? what interest would I have in doing that? the doctor at dr. bishop didn't do any tests on me - just basically came in and asked if I was having any problems with my acuvue IIs. I was really unimpressed and underwhelmed with the experience, which is why I was asking for a 'real' doctor in the first place.

did you end up with a prescription at the end of your visit from your friend who did the test?? cos that would be totally illegal you couldn't even fill that prescription out if you wanted to..

anywho yeah, contact lens prescription isn't always different from your glasses prescription it really depends whether you have asitigism or not, hi-cyl etc etc...toric lenses are diff harder to fit. if its not a toric lense it could be the same.....

if you ask for your contact lense prescription from DR Bishops, you have to be tested for it, its called a topo test, they check the size, shape of your cornea blah blah blah, BUT they will give you YOUR glasses Prescription and ask for you whereever you go to get your contacts fitted, the contact lens fitter from walmart (IE)will transpose the Glasses RX to your Contact RX.

VWEvo
06-22-2009, 07:47 PM
A huge difference between Dr. Bishops practices is the long term relationship you build with the office. If I'm not wrong, all of the optometrists that work at Dr. Bishops office are just associates and they constantly go through different doctors. The two times that I went to the exact same location I saw two different doctors. I think its important to develop good relationships with your health care providers. I would prefer to go to a place where the Dr's own the place, that way you know you'll get to see them again, and more importantly, they are more likely to care that you are happy with their practice. Associates don't tend to share the exact same care. Just my opinion, its no different in Dentistry.

Volinder

Weapon_R
06-22-2009, 08:07 PM
Dr. Bishop does go through a lot of doctors and he tends to cycle his associates through the different locations. The other problem is that he pays his staff pretty low and works them very long hours so a lot of them are either young or quit when something better comes along.

VWEvo
06-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Dr. Bishop does go through a lot of doctors and he tends to cycle his associates through the different locations. The other problem is that he pays his staff pretty low and works them very long hours so a lot of them are either young or quit when something better comes along.

Thats exactly what i think the problem is.

Bizzareo
06-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Walmart =D My mom manages a optical center so I can do whatever I want with the prescriptions i get.

Stubby
06-22-2009, 08:24 PM
+1 for market mall... seen 3 of the doc's and dr. harvey kuntz has been my main for the last 10ish years.

Fantastic place, recommend to all. :)

tinanow
02-14-2010, 08:26 PM
I recommend to check Dr. Combden. I found him on this site and he is excellent:
http://optometrists.servicerating.ca/Dr/Richard_Combden

You can also search by postal code or by the last name (just type the first letter and it gives you the list by the letter).

o, and I didn't have to buy anything at his office. I got my contacts in Costco after.

TomcoPDR
02-14-2010, 09:01 PM
I've been going to my eye doctor for at least 20 years... He notices me growing up/getting old, but I don't really notice things changing with him, just nicer renovated shop (same place all these years too)

jesss
02-15-2010, 01:32 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

Wrinkly
02-15-2010, 01:55 PM
My understanding is that they HAVE to give you your prescription if you ask for it. You paid for the test, the prescription is rightfully yours - sure they don't WANT you to walk out the door without buying from them, but they can't force you to so.

:dunno: