PDA

View Full Version : What's the highest brokerage fee by UPS?

realazy
06-10-2009, 11:25 AM
I've looking to have a lip shipped up from the States and the box is gigantic. The shipping charge is $120 USD and the value of the item is about $300 CAD.

I'm just wondering what's the worse anyone's been dinged?

Even if the brokerage fee is $200, I'll still break even with the price locally.

Do they generally follow the chart here: http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html

It looks like the fee will be around $50 and is there anyway to get out of the stupid Duty and Tax Amendment Bond charge?

That is retarded.

sh0ko
06-10-2009, 11:37 AM
i just got an exhaust in.. and im guessing my box was as big or bigger than urs.. shipping ran me 100 .... cost of exhaust was 600....weight...50 lbs...

70 dollars brokerage.. i was shocked

realazy
06-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by sh0ko
i just got an exhaust in.. and im guessing my box was as big or bigger than urs.. shipping ran me 100 .... cost of exhaust was 600....weight...50 lbs...

70 dollars brokerage.. i was shocked

Did you have to pay the duty in advance to avoid the bond charge where they pay for you and you pay them back?

Supa Dexta
06-10-2009, 12:16 PM
My worst has to be small box, shoe box size or so and only a few pounds. 113$ value including shipping, and got dinged 58$ for duty.... Then I buy something worth a few grand and they charge me like 20 bucks. God damn retards.

88CRX
06-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
My worst has to be small box, shoe box size or so and only a few pounds. 113$ value including shipping, and got dinged 58$ for duty.... Then I buy something worth a few grand and they charge me like 20 bucks. God damn retards.

this always happens.

FiveFreshFish
06-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by realazy
Even if the brokerage fee is $200, I'll still break even with the price locally.

Why not buy locally if there's no price difference? Mail order only makes sense when it's significantly cheaper than the local vendor's price, or unavailable here.

With UPS, you are almost guaranteed the expected brokerage fee will apply, and it'll likely be a bit more with some other bullshit ancillary charges.

If you can get it shipped USPS, there's a decent chance it sneaks through without any charges.

realazy
06-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Why not buy locally if there's no price difference?

That's because it's backordered/discontinued and the online store still has stock.

SCHIDER23
06-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Why don't you get it shipped via UPS Worldwide Saver?, you don't pay any brokers fees, and I think I was not charged any duty's either, that's how I got my lip and other items shipped from LA and it was only 80 bucks more than normal ground shipping, the big plus was that I got the lip overnight I was shocked.:thumbsup:

JordanEG6
06-10-2009, 01:47 PM
I've gotten some dumb shit like $80 for a few pairs of shoes.

They say they'd drop off the package to my house and leave it hidden and concealed in a discrete manner and I come home to see a gigantic box sitting at my door with my door mat hung over it. :facepalm:

I hate UPS.

brian_tr
06-10-2009, 01:50 PM
http://www.thefinalcost.com/

haven't tested accuracy myself but I remember hearing about it on RFD so it should be decent enough for an estimate

AndyL
06-10-2009, 01:57 PM
You can also have yourself listed as the broker, then when it arrives - hit the UPS warehouse (ne - 12st & 32nd) grab papers... pop over to the customs office at the airport or by taco hell on 33/34th ave (behind taco bell) fill out some paperwork... blah blah blah - walk out with paperwork, go back to ups - hand it to them, and you walk out with it...

sh0ko
06-10-2009, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by realazy

Did you have to pay the duty in advance to avoid the bond charge where they pay for you and you pay them back?

nope

BlackArcher101
06-10-2009, 04:04 PM
Looks like your final cost will be $540.

http://www.thefinalcost.com/shipments/calculate/

realazy
06-10-2009, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the help everyone.

It sucks how so many companies just plain ship ups ground. I found another company that would ship UPS expedited but the cost of the lip and shipping was about $150 more than the first company.

I just bought it and hopefully it's not too bad. I'll update it when I get it.

realazy
06-29-2009, 07:07 PM
The total COD incl. brokerage, duties, and gst was $78.01.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-29-2009, 07:18 PM
I got dinged for $114 for a box about 1 foot wide by 2 feet tall and 3 feet long. Value was $1700CAD.

msommers
06-29-2009, 07:18 PM
When I ordered some S13 JDM turn signals new from the states, I just about shat my pants when they got here. 80-something for the lights, 66 fucking dollars for gst, brokerage, whatever else there is. Fuck I was livid.

swak
06-29-2009, 07:30 PM
I paid $160 for some subs and a box shipped over from New Jersey.
I wasn;t stoked.

FraserB
06-29-2009, 11:47 PM
Seat covers for $110 USD, $200 after I got fucked by UPS

Deetz
06-29-2009, 11:53 PM
I don't really don't want to get started with UPS, they suck big time with their "made up" brokerage costs, total BS!!

They have also lost two shipments on me from refused delivery. (love it when ebay sellers, send by them even after i've told them not to)

Use any other company, even USPS, and cost will be much much less, can even come out to half what UPS charges.

97'Scort
06-30-2009, 12:05 AM
I've paid up to 120% of the package value with duty, tax, and broker fees included. It was the last time I ever used UPS.

swak
06-30-2009, 01:51 AM
Agreed, i will NEVER use UPS again.

To be honest, ive gotten a lot shipped with USPS and have been pretty pleased with their price/speed/service.

FiveFreshFish
07-01-2009, 12:02 AM
UPS is good within Canada. That's the only good thing about UPS I can say.

85FltWd
07-01-2009, 12:51 AM
A lot of stateside eBay sellers insist on Ugly Package Smashers.

Piss me off. The bastards hold my package for ransom, charge out-bloody-rageous bogus brokerage fees, and then give me something that looks like it was rolled down a long rocky hillside!

Go with USPS if at all possible. Even when it takes them weeks to get here, they hand off to Canada Post, who charges a flat $5 brokerage fee, plus any duty (usually zero) and the GST. No BS. Well worth the wait.

troyl
07-18-2009, 08:19 AM
I had to pay $267 to bring my supercharger across.

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
07-18-2009, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101
Looks like your final cost will be $540.

http://www.thefinalcost.com/shipments/calculate/
I sure as shit hope this site is wrong. a 45 dollar item is gonna cost 100 bucks in total if it is.
live and learn I guess.

megavolt
07-18-2009, 09:53 PM
Things seem to be getting blurred in this thread... yes UPS's brokerage fees are stupid, but the real thing you guys seem to be comparing is the duty, which depends entirely on what it is and usually more importantly where it was made (which is where a lot of the numbers coming up in this thread are like comparing apples to oranges). And duty is all set by customs.

Plus the sad part is that customs seems to be much more interested in what's coming through UPS than what's coming through Canada Post (USPS), which I think is just a random check and then it's gotta be something major to get duty slapped on it.

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
07-19-2009, 12:21 AM
So say I was ordering clothing made in China or some country like that, what is the likely hood of high duty?

megavolt
07-19-2009, 01:04 PM
I know a few years ago when I crossed the border they were going along with my declaration until I said the wife had bought a sweater at costco. They asked where it was made (had no idea). They dug it out of the trunk, I think it was made in the Phillipenes or something. A $20 sweater ended up getting $15 in duty on it plus GST on everything we had receipts for. Now I put any clothes I buy on separate receipts and pack it all in my luggage... lesson learned.

Point of my story... clothes are something they seem to take very seriously.

hampstor
07-19-2009, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by megavolt
I know a few years ago when I crossed the border they were going along with my declaration until I said the wife had bought a sweater at costco. They asked where it was made (had no idea). They dug it out of the trunk, I think it was made in the Phillipenes or something. A $20 sweater ended up getting $15 in duty on it plus GST on everything we had receipts for. Now I put any clothes I buy on separate receipts and pack it all in my luggage... lesson learned.

Point of my story... clothes are something they seem to take very seriously.

Textiles imports are actually on the controlled list in Canada (and many other countries): http://www.international.gc.ca/controls-controles/prod/index.aspx

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
07-19-2009, 07:22 PM
I guess we'll see what happens in a week or so.

texasnick
07-20-2009, 07:59 AM
On about $1,000 USD worth of parts I was charged like $80-90 in duty and about $110 in Brokerage fees. I was pissed. Especially when I told the company to ship USPS in the first place.

xmattx8
07-20-2009, 11:55 AM
I just ordered a 7 gallon airtank and it's getting shipped UPS :o. Hope I don't get the shaft.

seadog
07-30-2009, 06:38 PM
Can someone elaborate as to exactly what this brokerage is? I've been buying/selling things from the states for close to a decade, and it always worked the exact same as mailing something in Canada. Put address on box, it arrives a couple weeks later. That was until I forgot a coat in texas and had the hotel mail it back to me. Anyway long story short the coat was held in Winnipeg until I paid $70 for 'brokerage' I argued and tried to get an explanation as to exactly why I had to pay to get my own coat back, but no one gave me a satasfying answer.

speeed
07-31-2009, 01:17 AM
just bought some wheels. about $300 each and shipped by UPS from the states. $65 duties per wheel... :banghead: