PDA

View Full Version : where is the cheapest place to buy rebuilt alternators?

nonlinear
06-10-2009, 06:18 PM
i'm guessing napa or perhaps canadian tire, but thought i would ask here first in case anyone had an awesome inside tip :thumbsup:

thanks!

5000Audi
06-10-2009, 06:20 PM
look in the yellow pages under auto parts.. theres alot of companies that sell rebuilt parts

Redlyne_mr2
06-10-2009, 06:34 PM
To add to this thread does anyone know where you can get your own alternator rebuilt in the city?

sr20s14zenki
06-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Alberta Alternator And Starter Depot, on barlow, near 62nd i believe, they are EXCELLENT. got a rebuilt alternator for my civic for 100$. 3 year warranty. they rebuild whatever you give them. I always take my sr20 shit to them.

im2fst4u
06-10-2009, 06:43 PM
I have used these guys for years and so has many friends. Excellent guys, excellent service!
:thumbsup:

Lo-Cost Auto Electric Ltd
4123 Ogden Road SE
403-531-0700

Redlyne_mr2 yes they do rebuilds.

nonlinear
06-10-2009, 06:48 PM
I was hoping to just trade in the core and pick up an already rebuilt one. this is for a j-body so it should be common and in stock at most places. how long does it take Alberta Alternator And Starter Depot to rebuild what you bring them.

also, i've only replaced an alternator on my hyundai excel in the early 90s, and that was simple (just pulled the alternator out to tighten the belt and then tightened it in place. but, this car has a serpentine, and it's been about 15 years since i've removed one of those. iirc there is a big 'nut' that i pull on, and the pulley moves to loosen the entire serpentine. so i remove the belt, replace the alternator, and then replace the serpentine and that moving pulley thing adjusts the tension (is that right?)... the i haven't looked for that adjusting pulley thing yet, but can anyone tell me quick where it is? (isn't it near the bottom somewhere?)

sr20s14zenki
06-10-2009, 06:50 PM
Usually they do it in a day, unless they are busy

if its common, they usually have stock

yah, you will use a breaker bar, there will be a square in the tensioner that it will fit into, then you just pull on it, should be in the middle of the engine, cant remember where...its pretty obvious

nonlinear
06-10-2009, 06:57 PM
^^cool, just talked to my brother and he said the same thing - the tensioner pulley will either have a square hole (to fit a socket square nut thing in there) or big nut in the middle. he's gonna look it up on his computer tomorrow (alldata, i think) and email me pics of where everything is, so should be a piece of cake! sorry for the dumb questions haha :nut:

still looking on advice for cheapest place to trade a core for a rebuilt unit. i'll prolly just try napa or crappy tire, unless you guys think those places are way overpriced.

sr20s14zenki
06-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Definately overpriced, here, do it this way, call them, get a price, then call the ones we listed.

nonlinear
06-10-2009, 07:01 PM
all right, thanks!