PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy tools?

Grogador
06-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Now that House of Tools is closed (permanently, it seems) I'm having a lot of trouble finding (locally) some tools that I need. Specifically:

1/8" hex ball driver (http://media.digikey.com/photos/Wiha/mfg367%20no-ring%20inch%20series.jpg)
5/32" hex ball driver

Any ideas? I've tried Princess Auto, Rona, Home Despot, Crappy Tire, Auto Value...

project240
06-10-2009, 10:29 PM
Busy Bee Tools, Lee Valley?

misterrick
06-10-2009, 10:38 PM
Northern Metallic is a good place for tools. i used to work there. and they have decent prices.

Grogador
06-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Thanks gents! I will call around. Busy Bee was closed by the time I crawled through traffic to Princess Auto and such :S

AndyL
06-11-2009, 06:41 AM
calgary fasteners

legendboy
06-11-2009, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by AndyL
calgary fasteners

for good stuff,

busy bee for cheap stuff

sillysod
06-17-2009, 03:48 PM
Acklands Grainger

https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/AGIPortalWeb/WebSource/Main/begin.do?language=en

redline
06-17-2009, 04:24 PM
sears

sr20det
06-30-2009, 01:49 AM
" hex drivers " = allen keys. allen keys are L shaped.

" ball ended hex drivers" = allen keys, (Straight shaped) which have a ball on the end, with a screwdriver handle.

Normally you buy allen keys in either a foldable set. Or just " in a set " with individual L shaped keys.

" ball ended hex drivers " are a specialty tool. You will probalby find them at a acklands grainer type of store. etc.

Allen keys, or ball ended allen keys, you can find at stores like princess auto, sears, canadian tire. etc.

I may suggest that you re-check the application you are using these for,( you may not need a " ball ended hex driver " ) try re- checking princess auto for allen keys again. Unless there was confusing between what i read in the original post..I'm 99% sure you're talking about ball ended hex key's.

If i am wrong. Before you start to hate. What application do you need these for ?

Grogador
06-30-2009, 12:06 PM
It's for driving hex screws in tight spots at odd angles. I have sets of keys (individual, folding, sae, metric, whatever), hex bits with a ratchety handle as well as a drill chuck for them... The ball drivers just make my life a lot easier for certain equipment, takes 30secs instead of fiddling with allen keys for 10mins. The "L" on a allen key makes it really hard to get into the spot and takes a lot more screwing around.

Originally posted by sr20det
" hex drivers " = allen keys. allen keys are L shaped.

" ball ended hex drivers" = allen keys, (Straight shaped) which have a ball on the end, with a screwdriver handle.

Normally you buy allen keys in either a foldable set. Or just " in a set " with individual L shaped keys.

" ball ended hex drivers " are a specialty tool. You will probalby find them at a acklands grainer type of store. etc.

Allen keys, or ball ended allen keys, you can find at stores like princess auto, sears, canadian tire. etc.

I may suggest that you re-check the application you are using these for,( you may not need a " ball ended hex driver " ) try re- checking princess auto for allen keys again. Unless there was confusing between what i read in the original post..I'm 99% sure you're talking about ball ended hex key's.

If i am wrong. Before you start to hate. What application do you need these for ?