PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Booting on its own

brian_tr
06-11-2009, 07:24 AM
So I recently upgraded my laptop to run 64bit vista ultimate.
I usually hibernate it since we all know how long vista takes to boot. Ever since the upgrade the thing likes to boot up sometime during the day. I've checked the system logs and I'm guessing it usually happens around noon-1pm ish but I can't figure out what's actually booting the system.

Anybody have any ideas what's causing my system to boot?

I should probably mention I have a server running windows home server that does regular backups scheduled between midnight and 6am. I don't think this is doing it but might be worthwhile to know.

Thanks

-Brian

dj techsta
06-15-2009, 01:34 AM
I think it's a problem with the 64 bit system, I know when I upgraded my vista to 64 I had nothing but problems. If you have anything like a mouse or keyboard plugged in that could be the cause of it (it was with my comp, both mouse and keyboard turned comp back on at random). I noticed several other problems with the x64 Vista that eventually drove me insane, so I switched back to the x86 (32 bit) Vista and she's been running problem free ever since.

brian_tr
06-15-2009, 07:18 AM
hmm. guess i'll just have to take it then since the thing came preloaded with 64bit home prem. the self-booting is more of a nuissance than anything. thanks

Zero102
06-15-2009, 11:16 AM
There is a command to show what device last woke the system and you can disable certain devices from waking the system if they are just causing a nuisance. Typically this is a driver issue and most of the time its the mouse driver (at least from my experience)

brian_tr
06-15-2009, 12:07 PM
^
bah i should have just googled it. i figured there must be some log that would tell me what booted the system last

Zero, you're talking about the bootlist command right?

Zero102
06-16-2009, 09:39 AM
powercfg is the command I believe if you run:
powercfg -lastwakeup
It should tell you what the last thing was. It is explained more in this thread:

http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/741018.htm

Sorry, I was posting from my phone the first time and I can't copy / paste on it yet. Hope this helps :)

brian_tr
06-16-2009, 07:36 PM
thanks for clearing that up.
just checked it out with powercfg and i'm getting nothing listed. just my luck.
techarena link did point me to the x64 site so i'll check out what they have to say over there

SpireTECH
06-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Most likely you have configured automatic updates to update at 12PM. Or, some other task that is scheduled to run at this time. Could be a backup or some update script that some poorly written software installed.