PDA

View Full Version : One bump per week question (not a rant)

arian_ma
06-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Hey guys, I guess I misunderstood the rules even after much argument and debate.

Here's my case:
Thread created June 2nd, someone asks question in thread june 6th, I answer in thread June 6th, I bump the thread June 11th. Get a "one bump per week" warning. To be fair, I only bumped it once that week, however, as I clearly didn't understand the rules, does this mean that you can only bump your thread one week from the last POST or from the latest bump? I know they have the same effect but I'm sure you guys know what I mean.

MikeAg
06-11-2009, 03:07 PM
From your last post.

jaylo
06-11-2009, 03:41 PM
^This

Bumping the thread 1 week after is OK but replying to a post in between that 1 week and is considered "double-dipping."

01RedDX
06-11-2009, 03:44 PM

nusneak
06-11-2009, 06:42 PM
The reason is because when you reply, your thread gets moved up.
Regardless if you answer a question, or bump/ttt post.

Having your post in the top 5-10, or 15 threads is not going to get it sold any quicker.
If a buyer is motivated they probably know how to use the search function, or look back a few pages.

:hijack: The more people that see your ad, the higher your chances of selling it quicker.
So post it for sale on every site/forum you go to, and it will probably be sold before you need to answer a bunch of questions/bump the thread.
If you make the post very late at night/early morning it will be one of the first that people see when checking 'New posts' or whatever.

arian_ma
06-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Well, I didn't really need the attention. I got like 10 offers on the item within 3 or 4 days and wrote "first person with money gets it" because everyone kept saying "can you hold it for me".

I don't know...I totally understand the rules, but it sucks that sometimes some people get penalized for wrong reasons. But at the same time, if I was a mod I wouldn't want to spend 3/4 of my day deciding whether or not each bump was justified.

rc2002
06-11-2009, 08:57 PM
I thought it was common knowledge that answering a question is the same as a bump since any post in the thread pushes it back to the top.

I'm glad the mods actually enforce it. The marketplace is so much easier to use now.

blueripper6
06-11-2009, 09:20 PM
I dont even see the rule in any of the posts...
can someone show me?

Mr_ET
06-12-2009, 09:57 AM
I m just afraid that this is being enforced so severely that over time we will end up losing some good members that won't be able to buy or sell in the Marketplace and to me that defeats the purpose of that whole section.

I can understand if you warn someone 1-2 times and they keep doing it over and over but in most cases it's no warning and bam user rating goes down.

I'm still a bit bitter about that myself especially since I lost 2 points in 1 day and 3 points in the same week for mentioning that I thought someone was a good seller in their FS thread not knowing this rule existed :(

Haven't lost anything in like 6 months since but the 97% is a constant reminder :cry:

Mr_ET
06-12-2009, 09:58 AM
double post my bad

Pollywog
06-12-2009, 10:10 AM
I couldn't disagree more. You have no idea, especially when looking in the "CARS" marketplace section how irritating it is to see someone ask a good and legit question on vehicles - etc., yet usually there is no answer posted for fear of losing user ratings due to the one week rule. So while that one person may get a pm to answer his question, the rest of us are left wondering. If you get a posted question, post an answer - thats my $0.02.

Don't get me wrong, I disagree with mindless daily bumps too, but answering questions or confirming information on an advertised car/other is a different issue.

rage2
06-12-2009, 11:07 AM
You can answer questions as many times as you want. That's never been against the rules.

Typing a post that says "BUMP" when it's been less than 1 week since your last post, that loses a %.

It cleans up the marketplace so much more when this rule is enforced. Back then, the first page will be full of post bumpers and lots of threads gets buried. I figure it's pretty much common sense and beneficial to everyone?

We also have a stricter rule that we don't really enforce (to my knowledge).

17."bump" type posts are to be separated by at least ONE "non-bump" type post
Ya, just be glad we don't enforce that one! lol

Aleks
06-12-2009, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
I m just afraid that this is being enforced so severely that over time we will end up losing some good members that won't be able to buy or sell in the Marketplace and to me that defeats the purpose of that whole section.

I can understand if you warn someone 1-2 times and they keep doing it over and over but in most cases it's no warning and bam user rating goes down.

I'm still a bit bitter about that myself especially since I lost 2 points in 1 day and 3 points in the same week for mentioning that I thought someone was a good seller in their FS thread not knowing this rule existed :(

Haven't lost anything in like 6 months since but the 97% is a constant reminder :cry:

I see 100% in your rating :dunno:

Kardon
06-12-2009, 11:14 AM
So if I post a FS thread, 3 days after posting somebody asks me a question, do I have permission to reply publicly to his question (bumping my thread after 3 days) or would I have to send a reply in a PM?

And if so, perhaps 2 days after my response I get another question, is that restricted to PM answering, or could I again post in my thread??

01RedDX
06-12-2009, 11:16 AM

rage2
06-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Kardon
So if I post a FS thread, 3 days after posting somebody asks me a question, do I have permission to reply publicly to his question (bumping my thread after 3 days) or would I have to send a reply in a PM?

And if so, perhaps 2 days after my response I get another question, is that restricted to PM answering, or could I again post in my thread??
Again...

A REPLY IS NOT A BUMP.

You can reply to as many questions as you want. You just can't BUMP a post within a week from your last BUMP OR REPLY.

Of course, there'll be users that love to bend the rules and reply in like 3 or 4 different posts. We'll bend the rules too and -1% your ass without any reason. :rofl:

D'z Nutz
06-12-2009, 11:47 AM

So let me get this straight... you want us to give you a warning... for a warning?

rage2
06-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
So let me get this straight... you want us to give you a warning... for a warning?
:rofl:

Awesome.

Pollywog
06-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the % bump whoever you are.

Sugarphreak
06-12-2009, 01:17 PM

Kardon
06-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Is there a mechanism in place to stop a user from creating a second account and bumping their own threads with wishy washy questions?
A quick IP check would be the easiest unless said user is using a proxy.

Mr_ET
06-12-2009, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
To whoever returned 3% to my rating, thank you for recognizing that I am a responsible marketplace user and that I was just answering questions!
You've restored my faith in beyond. :D

Check it again :)

There is a god thx guys!

Sugarphreak
06-12-2009, 04:57 PM

arian_ma
06-12-2009, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by rage2
You can answer questions as many times as you want. That's never been against the rules.

Typing a post that says "BUMP" when it's been less than 1 week since your last post, that loses a %.

It cleans up the marketplace so much more when this rule is enforced. Back then, the first page will be full of post bumpers and lots of threads gets buried. I figure it's pretty much common sense and beneficial to everyone?

Thanks for clearing that up rage.

Eleanor
06-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Or edit your first post? :dunno:

xLostx
06-14-2009, 10:30 AM
Lower user rating = You're bad ass :bigpimp:

BigMass
06-14-2009, 11:30 AM

There is a god thx guys!

i could use some love too lol. %100 trader rating since 2002 must count for something.

van
06-14-2009, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by rage2

And don't mix this up with the stupid posts like, "added new pictures," "lowered price," etc. All that can be changed within the first post.

B4tMan
06-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
I've lost ratings for that very same reason. A little extreme, no?

What rating have you lost and how does it affect the account /

se7en
06-14-2009, 11:22 PM
BUMP

;)

Tomaz
06-15-2009, 08:34 AM
Now imagine people losing percentages for every "facepalm" smiley that others posted in a thread you started.:D

SNAATCH
06-15-2009, 02:06 PM
How can a user gain back user rating points?