PDA

View Full Version : Gate for fence

shadowz
06-11-2009, 09:46 PM
Hi I have had my fence up for quite some time, I just never got around to building the gate, I have seen some post holders that you hammer into the ground which hold 4x4's, as well theres always making another hole in the ground and cementing in the 4x4. Anyone have any experience with this, thanks!

Doozer
06-11-2009, 10:18 PM
Gates are easy; I did mine last year. I'm sure there are a ton of people here who've done them.

The posts are the same as for the fence - you just might have to dig them manually since they're usually too close to the house for a bobcat to do it safely.

For the actual gate, I just bought a kit from Rona that has the corner supports and the latch/hinges, and it works great.

shadowz
06-11-2009, 11:26 PM
Great thanks for the heads up!

dj_honda
06-14-2009, 04:45 PM
you should dig a hole and pour some concrete in there if you dont want your gate to start leaning.

depending on your situation you might be able to fit an auger in there, which will shorten your digging time. they rent them out at home depot by 4 hour increments.

sml
06-18-2009, 05:10 PM
Those pre-fab 4x4 post holders that you nail into the ground is not going to be able to support your gate. I wouldn't recommend it for swinging off of or swinging into. It's recommended that you put fence posts down 4 feet into the ground with concrete. It's a PITA to dig the hole but it's the right thing to do. Those augers that you rent from HD will most likely not work very well being so close to the house and also if you have lots of big rocks.