PDA

View Full Version : SPEED CAMERA ON 14th AND NORTHMOUNT?



uponone
06-12-2009, 08:42 AM
anyone one know if its a speed camera or just a redlight camera ?? blew threw a green on there. whats the speed limit there anyway.?

GQBalla
06-12-2009, 08:44 AM
i believe its 50 there

scat19
06-12-2009, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla
i believe its 50 there
:werd:

Slow it down on that road though dude - it's high volume and lots of people /school /kids etc.

w_man
06-12-2009, 08:52 AM
^^ +1

and lots of cops/cameras around there too

VTEXTC
06-12-2009, 09:01 AM
Confirmed that it is a speed camera; I know someone that got dinged there and have seen the photograph.

A

TYMSMNY
06-12-2009, 09:14 AM
I believe all red light cameras are now speed cameras as well.

gmoney82
06-12-2009, 09:23 AM
yes, its a speed camera, paid speeding ticket a week ago

atgilchrist
06-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Never speed on 14th St NW, there is nearly always a photo radar van (as well as the intersection camera) set up along there.

JTC180
06-12-2009, 09:33 AM
Definately a camera. Saw a flash one morning a while ago when some Escalade blasted past me at around 80.

2002civic
06-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY
I believe all red light cameras are now speed cameras as well.

I thought only about 8 or so were?:dunno:

TorqueDog
06-12-2009, 11:31 AM
A speed camera at the bottom of a steep hill. Yes, they care about safety! Honest! :rolleyes:

By the way, can we have your money in exchange for your safety?

bituerbo
06-12-2009, 11:56 AM
There are about 8 cameras that they rotate around the different locations. Wherever the camera is set up to catch you for a red light, can also catch you for speeding.

Redlyne_mr2
06-12-2009, 11:57 AM
I can only imagine the revenue coming in from those stupid cameras. They're so distracting as well, the west bound 17th ave and 33rd st sw (I think) camera is always going off, it's almost like a strobe light. :thumbsdow

Kennyredline
06-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Make sure when you get your ticket that you go to court and bitch and whine about it.:banghead:

TorqueDog
06-12-2009, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
I can only imagine the revenue coming in from those stupid cameras. They're so distracting as well, the west bound 17th ave and 33rd st sw (I think) camera is always going off, it's almost like a strobe light. :thumbsdow I've seen the one at MacLeod and 7th Ave flash for no reason. Someone pulls up to the stop line, and it flashes once. Gives me a lot of confidence in the system. :rolleyes:

Maybe they're going to send out the picture of the person stopping at the intersection with a gold star affixed for a job well done? :dunno:

Tomaz
06-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by 2002civic


I thought only about 8 or so were?:dunno:


Not all red light cameras are speed traps. At least for now. The locations can be found on the City of Calgary website.

FraserB
06-12-2009, 01:03 PM
The camera at the bottom of Cemetary Hill is a crock too. They really love to put them at the bottom of hills.:thumbsdow

rx7_turbo2
06-12-2009, 03:07 PM
Funny how the solution is always monetary isnt it? lol. Living in this city is like being the member of a church, money will always keep you in the good graces of the ones or one in charge, funny how that works.

The camera on 16th ave and 10th goes off like a strobe as well. I drive by it at night almost every weeknight it'll go off even when there's nothing moving in the intersection. Doesnt install alot of confidence in the system if you ask me.

sputnik
06-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
Funny how the solution is always monetary isnt it? lol. Living in this city is like being the member of a church, money will always keep you in the good graces of the ones or one in charge, funny how that works.

I guess you have never been to church.

heavyD
06-12-2009, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
I can only imagine the revenue coming in from those stupid cameras. They're so distracting as well, the west bound 17th ave and 33rd st sw (I think) camera is always going off, it's almost like a strobe light. :thumbsdow

What's a red light ticket $250? Speeding through $150 - $300. Each camera probably picks up close to 100 tickets on a week day maybe more at certain intersections. I understand that I am Canadian and that my hard earned money will be taken from me at every opportunity possible by the government and municipalities but the most disappointing thing now is the chaos at these intersections. People stopping at green because they see the pedestrian light flashing and are scared to tempt fate. People stopping 1/3 into the intersection when the light turns yellow because they think they will get a ticket if they continue through. The distracting flashes in your rear view mirror when someone behind you gets taxed.

Even I ran into a situation one morning with nobody on the road. I know the Country Hills BLVD/Sarcee cameras so I slow down to 60 towards the intersection. The moment I enter the light turns yellow and I'm going a balls slow 60 through a four lane intersection to avoid the speeding ticket but the light turns red before I get through and the only way I could have made it through was to speed. Not sure if I got a ticket because I didn't notice the flash but the city has turned a simple act of driving in a straight line into a confusing act of trying to avoid taxes. And lets be honest here these aren't about safety. They are all about $$$$. It's bordering on theft IMO but it's the typical Canadian way for the government to tell us they are making us safer to our face while while reaching around into our wallet to take more of our earnings.:thumbsdow

rx7_turbo2
06-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by sputnik


I guess you have never been to church.

What in my post suggested that?

I attended church every Sunday for most of my childhood and adolesence. When I got old enough to think for myself, and my church started to raise money from members for a 2.3 mil expansion it all be came clear.

Just like most churches the city uses money to solve everything. It's the easiest course of action but rarely the correct one.

SilverBoost
06-12-2009, 10:05 PM
Yeah it's dangerous to speed through intersections. Proper etiquette is to hit the brakes when it's green because you feel you're going too fast and letting the guy behind you pile into you. Way safer.

heavyD
06-12-2009, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by SilverBoost
Yeah it's dangerous to speed through intersections. Proper etiquette is to hit the brakes when it's green because you feel you're going too fast and letting the guy behind you pile into you. Way safer.

Sadly this is what's actually happening. Nothing more frustrating than people slamming their breaks coming up on a green light but it's happening more and more as the tickets are so outrageously expensive that people are almost stopping on green now to avoid the possibility of a ticket.

Disoblige
06-12-2009, 10:29 PM
To my knowledge, I thought any of the signs that say "Red Light" don't have speed cameras but I guess more of them are appearing?

I honestly don't trust the system well because it flashes when no one's doing anything wrong and I ran 3 red light cameras where they FLASHED and I got nothing in the mail. One was at the C-Train crossing at the Public Library at City Hall when I was actually looking at the next light and ran the Red after its been Red for at least 20 seconds lol. I was like SHIT, but nothing happened for mail.



:D

85FltWd
06-13-2009, 05:34 PM
I suspect the sheer volume of tickets being generated by this latest cash-grab has overwhelmed the people who have to mail this stuff. Be patient. You'll get yours eventually.

arian_ma
06-13-2009, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by heavyD


What's a red light ticket $250? Speeding through $150 - $300. Each camera probably picks up close to 100 tickets on a week day maybe more at certain intersections. I understand that I am Canadian and that my hard earned money will be taken from me at every opportunity possible by the government and municipalities but the most disappointing thing now is the chaos at these intersections. People stopping at green because they see the pedestrian light flashing and are scared to tempt fate. People stopping 1/3 into the intersection when the light turns yellow because they think they will get a ticket if they continue through. The distracting flashes in your rear view mirror when someone behind you gets taxed.

Even I ran into a situation one morning with nobody on the road. I know the Country Hills BLVD/Sarcee cameras so I slow down to 60 towards the intersection. The moment I enter the light turns yellow and I'm going a balls slow 60 through a four lane intersection to avoid the speeding ticket but the light turns red before I get through and the only way I could have made it through was to speed. Not sure if I got a ticket because I didn't notice the flash but the city has turned a simple act of driving in a straight line into a confusing act of trying to avoid taxes. And lets be honest here these aren't about safety. They are all about $$$$. It's bordering on theft IMO but it's the typical Canadian way for the government to tell us they are making us safer to our face while while reaching around into our wallet to take more of our earnings.:thumbsdow
FFS man that made my head hurt. Just thinking about having to think about all of that while driving...hahaha

AE92_TreunoSC
06-13-2009, 06:13 PM
My girlfriend got a speeding ticket on that exact camera the OP listed. (13 over)

Despite my warnings of never to go over 50kph on 14th, Center or Edmonton Trail.

So she deserves it haha.

Kennyredline
06-13-2009, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
To my knowledge, I thought any of the signs that say "Red Light" don't have speed cameras but I guess more of them are appearing?

I honestly don't trust the system well because it flashes when no one's doing anything wrong and I ran 3 red light cameras where they FLASHED and I got nothing in the mail. One was at the C-Train crossing at the Public Library at City Hall when I was actually looking at the next light and ran the Red after its been Red for at least 20 seconds lol. I was like SHIT, but nothing happened for mail.



:D
Pretty proud of yourself hey?

TorqueDog
06-13-2009, 11:09 PM
People actually run that C-Train light? :facepalm: Helloooo natural selection.

Boostn
06-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by heavyD


What's a red light ticket $250? Speeding through $150 - $300. Each camera probably picks up close to 100 tickets on a week day maybe more at certain intersections. I understand that I am Canadian and that my hard earned money will be taken from me at every opportunity possible by the government and municipalities but the most disappointing thing now is the chaos at these intersections. People stopping at green because they see the pedestrian light flashing and are scared to tempt fate. People stopping 1/3 into the intersection when the light turns yellow because they think they will get a ticket if they continue through. The distracting flashes in your rear view mirror when someone behind you gets taxed.

Even I ran into a situation one morning with nobody on the road. I know the Country Hills BLVD/Sarcee cameras so I slow down to 60 towards the intersection. The moment I enter the light turns yellow and I'm going a balls slow 60 through a four lane intersection to avoid the speeding ticket but the light turns red before I get through and the only way I could have made it through was to speed. Not sure if I got a ticket because I didn't notice the flash but the city has turned a simple act of driving in a straight line into a confusing act of trying to avoid taxes. And lets be honest here these aren't about safety. They are all about $$$$. It's bordering on theft IMO but it's the typical Canadian way for the government to tell us they are making us safer to our face while while reaching around into our wallet to take more of our earnings.:thumbsdow

From what I understand, you will only get ticketed if you enter the intersection on a red light. If the light turns red halfway through you should be ok. A red light ticket is close to $300 and I totally agree that these schemes are mainly cash grabs for the government. Here's a more detailed description right from the CPS propaganda website:

http://www.calgarypolice.ca/sections/traffic/redlight.html

Bizzareo
06-16-2009, 01:54 PM
Yea the one on 14th and Northmount is a speed camera, I have seen it flash a few times at night. Luckily I was not the one getting a picture taken of.

Maybe if you just drive faster through them the picture will be a blur that photoshop cant fix!

clem24
06-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Bizzareo
Yea the one on 14th and Northmount is a speed camera, I have seen it flash a few times at night. Luckily I was not the one getting a picture taken of.

Maybe if you just drive faster through them the picture will be a blur that photoshop cant fix!

I thought it was in Japan that the only way to avoid the speed cameras was to blast through them at 300km/h. On that note, be glad you're not in Japan where they have speed cameras setup every so often in the middle of major highways.

Ferio_vti
06-16-2009, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by clem24


I thought it was in Japan that the only way to avoid the speed cameras was to blast through them at 300km/h.

Or on Mythbusters.

clem24
06-16-2009, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti


Or on Mythbusters.

That ep was rigged in the cops' favour to make it appear like they'll catch you everytime. It was a sponsored ep... :D

Bizzareo
06-16-2009, 02:42 PM
In japan they need both your face and your license plate (according to top gear), since allot of people share the same vehicle. Plus I believe cars have to be limited to 140 km/h (doesn't stop people from fixing that though :burnout: )

uponone
06-18-2009, 12:34 PM
What about tinted or glared plate covers? any opinions? or the blinds one maybe we should all get flip plates and flip it whenever you go through an intersection.

Fuji
06-18-2009, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by heavyD


What's a red light ticket $250? Speeding through $150 - $300. Each camera probably picks up close to 100 tickets on a week day maybe more at certain intersections. I understand that I am Canadian and that my hard earned money will be taken from me at every opportunity possible by the government and municipalities but the most disappointing thing now is the chaos at these intersections. People stopping at green because they see the pedestrian light flashing and are scared to tempt fate. People stopping 1/3 into the intersection when the light turns yellow because they think they will get a ticket if they continue through. The distracting flashes in your rear view mirror when someone behind you gets taxed.

Even I ran into a situation one morning with nobody on the road. I know the Country Hills BLVD/Sarcee cameras so I slow down to 60 towards the intersection. The moment I enter the light turns yellow and I'm going a balls slow 60 through a four lane intersection to avoid the speeding ticket but the light turns red before I get through and the only way I could have made it through was to speed. Not sure if I got a ticket because I didn't notice the flash but the city has turned a simple act of driving in a straight line into a confusing act of trying to avoid taxes. And lets be honest here these aren't about safety. They are all about $$$$. It's bordering on theft IMO but it's the typical Canadian way for the government to tell us they are making us safer to our face while while reaching around into our wallet to take more of our earnings.:thumbsdow

Agreed... it's BS and a pure money grab implemented by greed.

If they were to do this for saftey they would make the yellow lights a bit longer or something, so that IF you were going the speed limit and entered the intersection at that inopportune moment you have time to get out @ the said speed limit.