PDA

View Full Version : Skyline coming to U.S. in 2007. Confirmed!

Gripenfelter
10-29-2003, 09:02 AM
http://www.autoweek.com/weekart/2003/1103/gtrmain400.jpg

NISSAN CHIEF CARLOS Ghosn confirms the Skyline GT-R will debut at the Tokyo Motor Show in 2007, with customer sales starting soon after that. The car will make “around 400 hp” and offer “top-level driving performance.”

Video game fans on these shores who have long enjoyed the high-speed thrills of the GT-R will have a chance to drive it (so long as they can pony up the cash). Ghosn says the car will be sold here.

Sure, but why the long wait? Well, it’s not as bad as the first proposal, which was for a 2008 or 2009 GT-R launch. And, if you haven’t noticed, Nissan has been working on a lot of other products lately—and doing a pretty good job with them, too—so there weren’t spare engineers to toil away on a fairly low-volume supercar. At one point, the company was looking for a partner to help share development of the GT-R, but could not find one with whom it was happy.

Ghosn says the GT-R will offer “top performance worldwide, not just compared to our cars.

“If you look at a car and think it’s a tiger, you’re not going to be happy if you get in and drive it and it’s a cat,” Ghosn explains.

Ghosn says the price will be relatively reasonable: “You won’t have the feeling you’re being ripped off.”

That’s still kind of vague, but it sounds like the GT-R will not be another half-million-dollar Enzo/SLR/Carrera GT supercar, at least not in the finance department.

The exterior will probably not look like the concept car shown at Tokyo two years ago, either, though the decision on which of many design proposals submitted has not been made.

sexualbanana
10-29-2003, 12:10 PM
That's P.I.M.P. :D

SaskS14
10-29-2003, 12:28 PM
We already have Skylines sold new in Canada and the States. :rolleyes:

The GT-R has been removed from the Skyline product line.

So it is no longer a Nissan Skyline GT-R and now just a Nissan GT-R.

Hakkola
10-29-2003, 02:28 PM
Exactly what I was thinking, unless they start selling R34, why is there a pic of an R34. They're talking about new exterior, which is presumably the G35. I really don't get this, how old is this info?

bigboom
10-29-2003, 02:33 PM
i think that this picture is another concept of the r35...and it doesnt look anything like the g35 coupe which is the skyline.

Paul
10-29-2003, 02:41 PM
i don't understand this at all. i was under the assumption that the G35 was the new skyline with different badging and sold under the infiniti brand.

thich
10-29-2003, 02:44 PM
g35=skyline

why the guy was still referring to the next GTR as the "skyline GTR"... :dunno:

it's hard to get rid of a name that's been engraved into the minds of many japanese car enthusiasts :tongue:

hopefully the GTR will make it to Canada

bigboom
10-29-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Paul
i don't understand this at all. i was under the assumption that the G35 was the new skyline with different badging and sold under the infiniti brand.

the g35 coupe IS the new skyline, except it is NOT the gtr. the new gtr has not been released yet and the only thing that there has been is concepts of ones such as the one i just posted.

rage2
10-29-2003, 03:06 PM
Too bad the new GT-R will have nothing in common with the R32/33/34's. Expensive to build race bred motor that can handle ridiculous amounts of abuse, expensive to build AWD system, expensive to build suspension, etc.

The R35 will be a Ghosn "cost cutting supercar"... Gone will be the wild potential of the old R32/33/34 line. Only thing left will be the name.

sputnik
10-29-2003, 03:14 PM
the concept actually looks nothing like the photoCHOP posted earlier... and actually has a similar roofline to the Infiniti G35

http://www.motortrend.com/features/news/112_news5/

http://www.motortrend.com/motor/autoshows/coverage/112_01as_toky01_nissan_s.jpg

bigboom
10-29-2003, 03:52 PM
but its all sepculation...no one really knows what the gtr will look like. but rage2 is right...the new gtr will be no where close to the 32/33/34...nissan is going in a wrong way with it. ghosn took some right steps with nissan but is messing it up again!

rage2
10-29-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by bigboom
nissan is going in a wrong way with it. ghosn took some right steps with nissan but is messing it up again!
Nissan's going the RIGHT way financially. Ghosn saved the company. Too bad for enthusiasts though :).

bigboom
10-29-2003, 04:39 PM
he might have saved the company financially...but look at whats going to happen with this whole nissan/renault partnership...im not sure its right for nissans image which always used to be about an "enthusiast" car with unlimited tuning potential. ie. the sr20de engines, rb series 25 and 26. sure they have the vq35 now which is their flagship engine but its still not as beefy and tunable as the other ones.

also seems as if their quality control is slipping a lot. i guess we will see what the new gtr is made of though.

rage2
10-29-2003, 04:58 PM
he might have saved the company financially...but look at whats going to happen with this whole nissan/renault partnership...im not sure its right for nissans image which always used to be about an "enthusiast" car with unlimited tuning potential. ie. the sr20de engines, rb series 25 and 26. sure they have the vq35 now which is their flagship engine but its still not as beefy and tunable as the other ones.

also seems as if their quality control is slipping a lot. i guess we will see what the new gtr is made of though.
Ghosn doesn't care about the image. He cares about selling unique products and making a profit. He does that by extensive platform sharing. That's what he's famous for :).

The Nissan image is different now, but it obviously works. Record sales, record profits. Different image for a different audience, too bad for the hardcore enthusiasts :).

thich
10-29-2003, 05:01 PM
well, one can always pray that the enthusiast-rich background of Nissan may still have hope to be revived.......... *crosses fingers*
lol

pinoyhero
10-29-2003, 06:25 PM
i think that this picture is another concept of the r35...and it doesnt look anything like the g35 coupe which is the skyline.

Now that looks sweet!

method
10-29-2003, 07:28 PM
yeah um... this is nothing.

2007? give me break. You think things dont change in 4 years? I dont know why people are even debating now.

Maxt
10-29-2003, 07:53 PM
Yeah the current skyline in Japan is the g35, and not anywhere as striking as the older designs..
Here is a first gen that I snapped at a rest stop just outside of Tokyo...

Wildcat
10-29-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Maxt
Yeah the current skyline in Japan is the g35, and not anywhere as striking as the older designs..
Here is a first gen that I snapped at a rest stop just outside of Tokyo...

that looks like a second gen, heres a first:

http://www.frinkiac7.clublotus.com/CarResource/Nissan_Skyline_Page/skyline1957.JPG

the R34 is the 10th generation skyline, making the G35 platform the 11th gen i believe.

Maxt
10-29-2003, 08:23 PM
hahah, now thats old.....is that single or twin turbo j/king..:)..Maxt

hjr
10-29-2003, 09:30 PM

1- yes, he saved them financially, and therefor what he did is the right thing
2- It was the enthusiast cars that almost put nissan out of business. i dont know why, they are cool and all that, but until that silly frenxhman came in, nissan was going under. Now if that means that fast cars are not profitable, then less and less fast cars are going be produced. Even toyota seems to be heading in that direction.

92 Teg-B18A
10-29-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by SaskS14
We already have Skylines sold new in Canada and the States. :rolleyes:

The GT-R has been removed from the Skyline product line.

So it is no longer a Nissan Skyline GT-R and now just a Nissan GT-R.

Symantecs, it's still coming whether the he said the name correctly or not :D

method
10-29-2003, 09:50 PM
thats a pgc10 (the first pic.. I think)

they sure go way back.

SaskS14
10-29-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by 92 Teg-B18A

Symantecs, it's still coming whether the he said the name correctly or not :D

Yeah I realize that. I guess I am just sick of everyone jumping on the Nissan bandwagon.
:)

bigboom
10-30-2003, 12:01 AM
i dont see a problem with platform sharing, everyone is doing it and yes it is the most efficient way. but i believe he is going about it all wrong. these new designs arent the best but thats my opinion. he did not have to go with this new set of designs which have been influenced by renault. but then agian some people like it...i guess im jsut sad to see nissan go this way because ive always been a big fan of nissan :)

HB Infamous
10-30-2003, 12:15 AM
G35=350Z
not
G35=GTR

G35 and the 350Z have the same engine, tranny and the chassis is the same just diff. body and interior. That's what the salesman at Sunridge Nissan told me

Mikko
10-30-2003, 01:52 AM
Power: 480ps (352kw!) @ 7200rpm
Torque: 58kg/m @ 4800rpm

The GT-R concept has been finalized. The new car will target the 911 Turbo as its primary competitor. The new GT-R will feature a VQ32DETT Twin-Turbo V6 engine. Estimated output will be over 480ps and over 420 lb/ft of torque .

In addition, it will also feature the improve active AWD system. The engine will be developed by a joint venture of Nissan and Cosworth. The new turbo system will feature a electronic Anti-Lag-system. Which means the turbine will be driven by an electic-powered motor when the thottle is lifted. The new chassis will be a brand new one (code: FR-L), which is composed of steel and Aluminum alloy. Suspension will be taken from the current Skyline (G35) with certain improvements made.

Estimated to be in the market in spring 2005, with a price tag of over $80K.

GT-R Engine: VQ32DETT V6 Twin-Turbo, featuring colaboration with Cosworth Technology for ;

. Direct in-cylinder petrol injection technology
. Variable valvetrain technology
. Displacement on demand technology
. Aluminium cast engine block

Garrett are said to have helped design the turbine anti-lag system using electronic assistance

. Turbine anti-lag system

Direct injection of fuel at high pressure into each cylinder gives the maximum control of engine performance with the elimination of bulky intake manifolds and their assorted fixtures. These systems require precise sensors and control by an electronic computer which in turn leads to large improvements in engine performance.

The new engine's expected to use Cosworth designs for high-pressure direct injection system, variable valvetrain technology and could even feature the revolutionary ‘displacement on demand’ to meet strict emissions regulations.

Aluminium castings for the engine will be produced at the Cosworth foundry (in Worcester), to be shipped out to the facility.

Customers use Cosworth Technology’s foundry service because it owns a process that promises a very high level of dimensional accuracy. The use of Zircon sand brings with it linear and low thermal expansion properties superior to those of conventional Silica. It also has the benefit of a similar bulk density to that of aluminium, limiting core buoyancy problems. "We can therefore eliminate the need for core supports, but it also means that we can use less glue in our sand packs, reducing the potential for gas-porosity," explains Struthers.

Cores aside, the real key to the quality of the castings is the delivery of the molten material. Oxide nucleaic porosity is endemic to gravity casting and not uncommon in other low pressure techniques. The Cosworth process, (which Cosworth Technology licenses to other manufacturers) employs a melting methodology (the primary component of which are enormous, constant volumes of molten metal undergoing long residency in the vat) that ensures aluminium is drawn from a very clean zone in the middle of the melt.

While not cheap, the process is considered the most cost-effective method to create the superior product required by some vehicle programmes. "A lot of the applications that we get involved with are on the edge of what the material can give, but using this process we can give the designers what they have designed," concludes Struthers.

SaskS14
10-30-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by HB Infamous
G35=350Z
not
G35=GTR

G35 and the 350Z have the same engine, tranny and the chassis is the same just diff. body and interior. That's what the salesman at Sunridge Nissan told me

Sure they share alot and are basically the same car but you aren't totally correct. In a domestic/simple sense the salesman is correct in telling you that the 350Z and G35C are pretty much the same car. But I doubt he knows more than that. Most car salepersons couldn't care less about Nissan's international product lineups. When I was visiting Calgary last summer I stopped off at Sunridge Nissan one day to look at a 240SX Hatch. The salesperson tried talking cool to me and kept referring to it as an S15. :nut:

Basically this is how it goes now:

350Z = Fairlady Z

G35 sedan = Skyline 350GT Sedan

G35 Coupe = Skyline 350GT Coupe

Remember the GT-R is no longer going to be a part of the Skyline product line so you are correct in saying the G35 is not the GT-R.

So what used to be a Nissan Skyline GT-R is now going to be referred to as a Nissan GT-R.

Hakkola
10-30-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by SaskS14
So what used to be a Nissan Skyline GT-R is now going to be referred to as a Nissan GT-R.

Isn't it going to be sold under the infiniti badge though?

SaskS14
10-30-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

Isn't it going to be sold under the infiniti badge though?

Well who knows. In North America it might be, it might not. It all depends how Nissan wants to market it. Everything is pure speculation right now.

Hakkola
10-30-2003, 01:26 PM
well if they sell the g35 (skyline) from infiniti and 350z from nissan it would only make sense for them to sell it through infiniti. It would be messed up if they sold half the 'skyline' model range through inifiniti and then the highest end 'skyline' as I guess it's it traditionally known as, through nissan. People will think it's a special 350z, which it isn't.

SaskS14
10-30-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
well if they sell the g35 (skyline) from infiniti and 350z from nissan it would only make sense for them to sell it through infiniti. It would be messed up if they sold half the 'skyline' model range through inifiniti and then the highest end 'skyline' as I guess it's it traditionally known as, through nissan. People will think it's a special 350z, which it isn't.

You make a completely valid point.

However Like I have said a couple of times already.

THE NEW GT-R IS NOT A SKYLINE!!!!!

Sorry for yelling. :)

But yeah. Everyone has to remember that right now the GT-R is going to be a completely new product line possibly with it's own trim levels. I don't know why Nissan went ahead and did this but they did. :)

Things can change and Nissan in a couple of years down the road could say, "Wait a second we think the new GT-R should be a top of the line Skyline." And everything changes again. :)

SaskS14
10-30-2003, 01:41 PM
Sorry Hakkola but I guess I miss understood you post the first time. The last post isn't directed at you.

But still, who knows what Nissan id going to do. :nut:

I guess what everyone has to do is sever in their minds the link between the Skyline and the GT-R.

Hakkola
10-30-2003, 01:49 PM
Problem is people are going to link it to something just because of the body shape, if it comes out the way it looks like it will, people are either going to think it's a 350z or a g35.