PDA

View Full Version : legally selling rifles and shotguns

quazimoto
06-12-2009, 11:44 AM
So my dad passed away in February and he left me his collection of hunting rifles and shotguns. Short of turning them into the police is there a way to legally sell them. I think there is a .22, 7mm rifle and a 12 guage single barrel shotgun. I know they added that gun registry and what not but what are the laymans rules to sell firearms second hand.

legendboy
06-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Hey,

Sorry to hear about your dad :(

You can sell them for sure, no need to surrender them.

I won't quote you on anything so you better call to find out exactly what you can do.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cont/index-eng.htm

PM sent!

carson blocks
06-12-2009, 01:14 PM
I would also possibly be interested in purchasing them and I hold a valid PAL. PM me with details if you want.

Weapon_R
06-12-2009, 01:17 PM
PM me the info and price on the .22 and 7mm rifles, thanks.

JAYMEZ
06-12-2009, 01:55 PM
PM me info on ShotGun please.

quazimoto
06-12-2009, 02:21 PM
Ok getting information out of the RCMP is incredibly hard. Even though the guns are willed to me and I currently have power of attorney for my mother as she suffered a breakdown shortly after my dads passing they require a lot of documentation to obtain information for registered weapons.

The 12 gauge shotgun is not registered at all.

The .22 is, the 6mm is and 7mm is. The rcmp apparently require my mother to sign an auction declaration to let me get rid of them more a less.

They did tell me I don't need to any kind of licensing or what not to sell the firearms but the person buying must have an aquisition license.

Ok so more details about the guns.

The 12 Gauge is a Remington Model 1100 LH. It is in extremely good condition. The only issue as you may see are those two letters LK aka Left Hand. It is semi automatic and not pump action.

The .22 calibre has the designation L.R on it which I'm assuming means it works both left and right lol. It's not really a bolt action just has a little clip that you pull back for each round. I'm willing to bet he had this 22 for a long time. I wouldn't doubt to say its 20+ years old.

The 6mm and 7mm are both scoped rifles and both are left hand, both in good shape.

I'm just shocked the government makes it this difficult to get rid of fire arms. Even handing them into the police is not an easy 1-2-3 solution either. They seriously make this into a headache.

2jzgte
06-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by quazimoto

The .22 calibre has the designation L.R on it which I'm assuming means it works both left and right lol. It's not really a bolt action just has a little clip that you pull back for each round. I'm willing to bet he had this 22 for a long time. I wouldn't doubt to say its 20+ years old.

Stands for Long rifle.

Spoons
06-12-2009, 10:11 PM
Shoot me a PM on prices as well.

My father is a gun collector. More interested in the 12 gauge and the 6 and 7mm

Ven
06-13-2009, 08:28 AM
Do not call the RCMP, they'd rather take the guns than help you legally sell them. If you've called them already they now know you have unregistered firearms being held by an unlicensed citizen, they get motivated in a hurry to take your inheritance. You MUST call the Alberta CFO (Chief Firearms Officer at:

Alberta

1 800-731-4000 (for Canada and the United States)
(506) 624-5380 (for all countries outside of Canada and the United States)

Chief Firearms Officer
Alberta and Northwest Territories
Suite 720, 10909 Jasper Avenue
Edmonton, AB T5J 3L9
Fax: (780) 495-7970

You'll speak to a very kind and knowledgeable lady there who will guide you through the process you need to know.
In the meantime if you need any further questions answered or help meeting storage compliance please feel free to PM me.

Ven
06-13-2009, 08:38 AM
Ok getting information out of the RCMP is incredibly hard. Even though the guns are willed to me and I currently have power of attorney for my mother as she suffered a breakdown shortly after my dads passing they require a lot of documentation to obtain information for registered weapons.

I'm just shocked the government makes it this difficult to get rid of fire arms. Even handing them into the police is not an easy 1-2-3 solution either. They seriously make this into a headache.

Again, it's because you need to contact the right people, in this case the Alberta CFO. After which the process is simple, legal, and safe.

You NEVER call the cops about firearms issues unless there's one being pointed at your head. They don't know the laws regarding your situation and would much rather get all these evil baby killing "weapons" off the streets and into the crusher.

Be aware your diligence in selling the guns. If your interested party does not hold the correct and valid permits and you sell, it comes back to you. If your interested party cannot prove they meet compliance for safe storage, it can come back to you. Believe it, the later was just in court.

AndyL
06-13-2009, 11:52 AM
I thought firearms could no longer be bequeathed?

I was left by my grandfather - a circa 1690 flintlock, but it was destroyed because it couldn't legally be transfered to me... Or so they claimed - this was in ontario +/- 15 years ago. We weren't allowed to have it rendered inoperable, weren't allowed to donate to a museum, only option given to us was to surrender it to the OPP for destruction.

I mean c'mon when was the last time you heard of a flintlock being used to commit a crime? :banghead:

Ven
06-13-2009, 01:55 PM
Again, never contact the cops first regarding firearms questions. Contact the Chief Firearms Office for those queries.

That flintlock did not need to be registered, and still wouldn't today. However you did need to have an FAC back then to keep it, which would have taken a day of your time in a classroom to acquire. And of course proper storage and/or display. Or have had it deactivated so it no longer worked as a firearm thus being exempt and you could have kept it anyway without the FAC.

That gun would fall into the, "almost priceless" category not including it's heirloom value, and is most certainly being enjoyed by the officer who seized it displayed on his rumpus room wall. I makes me sick to think of the history lost and the things that gun would have "seen" even before the frontier times. Sorry for the loss.

AndyL
06-13-2009, 05:14 PM
Actually it was the estate lawyer who insisted it had to be disposed of - we had spent the funds to have another lawyer consult - and basically came back with the same answer...

There was some question on ownership of it at the time (theoretically it did belong to the king... not to my family) making things even more complicated...

quazimoto
06-13-2009, 11:34 PM
It wasn't the rcmp I spoke with I don't think. I think I called that number up above and the lady's are quite helpful.

just to clarify the rules are different on hand guns I believe.
In any event its more difficult to prove that I had them willed to me. They will let my mother fill out a form though giving me permission to act on my father's behalf. Kind of a catch 22 as mom just got released from foothills hospital and is still being medicated from her breakdown.

Now handing the guns into the local police will not clear them from the gun registry apparently. So the police will destroy them or whatever but they still remained registered which can cause a few issues for the previous person who registered them even though that person is now deceased. I think they have kinks to work out since the gun registry doesn't jive with how the police operate.

CUG
06-14-2009, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Ven
Again, never contact the cops first regarding firearms questions. Contact the Chief Firearms Office for those queries.

That flintlock did not need to be registered, and still wouldn't today. However you did need to have an FAC back then to keep it, which would have taken a day of your time in a classroom to acquire. And of course proper storage and/or display. Or have had it deactivated so it no longer worked as a firearm thus being exempt and you could have kept it anyway without the FAC.

That gun would fall into the, "almost priceless" category not including it's heirloom value, and is most certainly being enjoyed by the officer who seized it displayed on his rumpus room wall. I makes me sick to think of the history lost and the things that gun would have "seen" even before the frontier times. Sorry for the loss. You give sage advice sir. I hope he's listening to you.

Stinky Mcpete
06-14-2009, 08:36 AM
go to http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/ these guys really know their shit. They'll help you out.

Ven
06-14-2009, 09:42 AM
It wasn't the rcmp I spoke with I don't think. I think I called that number up above and the lady's are quite helpful.

just to clarify the rules are different on hand guns I believe.
In any event its more difficult to prove that I had them willed to me. They will let my mother fill out a form though giving me permission to act on my father's behalf. Kind of a catch 22 as mom just got released from foothills hospital and is still being medicated from her breakdown.

Now handing the guns into the local police will not clear them from the gun registry apparently. So the police will destroy them or whatever but they still remained registered which can cause a few issues for the previous person who registered them even though that person is now deceased. I think they have kinks to work out since the gun registry doesn't jive with how the police operate.

The executor of the estate needs to write a letter of intent explaining the firearms (asset) has been transfered (inherited) by you. Executor signs, you sign, get it notarized, and fax to the CFO. Done. Now your are the rightful heir to the firearms.

If they are old guns (pre 1898), you can keep them without a license so long as they are safely stored and/or displayed. They DO NOT need to be registered, no license required. If you inherited pistols as well as long guns the above applies to anything older than 1898, otherwise everything get classified as restricted or prohibited.

So, if your pistols are newer than 1898 and have a barrel length of greater than 105mm you can keep them but WILL REQUIRE a license (PAL). If your pistols are newer than 1898 and have a barrel length of less than 105mm they are classified as prohibited and you'll either need to surrender them, or sell them to a prohibited license holder. In that case your best bet would be to a sell to a collector.

If you plan on surrendering your heirlooms do it at an RCMP depot and NOT city police. Call ahead before you go and speak to a constable and get their name who can meet you at the buzz in. Bring your documents related to the estate, ID, and of course the firearms.

old&slow
06-14-2009, 09:55 AM
I suspect this gun amnesty thing is a real boon for some cops...antiques and heirlooms pieces will add greatly to their retirements!

Ven
06-14-2009, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by old&slow
I suspect this gun amnesty thing is a real boon for some cops...antiques and heirlooms pieces will add greatly to their retirements!

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Calgary+police+officer+pleads+guilty+amnesty+program+sales+probe/1298596/story.html

...and if anyone thinks that this guy was the only bad apple of the bunch then your head is so far up your ass there's no hope for you.