PDA

View Full Version : Forgot to do your homework? Use this service!

Xaroxantu Zero
06-12-2009, 05:37 PM
So ethically wrong it's genius:

The old standby for unfinished homework, "the dog ate my homework" has long since gone out of style. It certainly has become popular to claim that one's computer was the problem, with people saying that files got lost or corrupted or the computer died. However, Mathew Ingram points us to a new service that tries to help bad students get away with this, by selling students corrupted files (http://www.globecampus.ca/in-the-news/article/the-computer-ate-my-homework/) that they can turn in. Yes. They will sell you a corrupted Word document, Excel spreadsheet or PowerPoint presentation for just $3.95 (a bargain!). The service claims that this can be useful as a diversionary tactic to "buy time" since it may be days before the teacher/professor tries to open the bogus file -- at which point you may have completed the actual assignment. Or, you know, you can just do the work on time.
http://techdirt.com/articles/20090612/1511335216.shtml

Boat
06-12-2009, 05:41 PM
As for whether Canadian students are using the site, he or she remarked ruefully that "Canadian students are too honest for Corrupted-Files.com. They would just ask their professors for an extension."

this

szw
06-12-2009, 05:43 PM
I have done this before with hardcopy. I did the first page of an essay and obviously left out the rest of the essay hoping the teacher would ask me about it in a few days (which she did) where I would pull out another "copy" and hand it in.

Beerking
06-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Not sure how this is that great since my profs always had us hand in a hard copy just to show it was done.

FAIL.

Or maybe Im that old now.

TImes change lately?

wardpr68
06-12-2009, 06:04 PM
ya with my teachers its 50/50 in terms of if they want a hard copy or not.

terrible :thumbsdow

jsn
06-12-2009, 07:25 PM
But on the other hand, it's services like these that will force professors to treat corrupted attachments as work not yet turned in, and harm innocent homework submitters.
:werd:

powerslave
06-12-2009, 07:25 PM
I can't believe someone would be stupid enough to pay for it. I've done it a few times: take any file that is NOT an excel or word file, but is of similar size, and rename it. Bought me a day when I needed it bad.

Pihsiak
06-12-2009, 10:09 PM
lol I used to rename picture files as doc and boom a messed looking doc file. Who needs to pay for this crap?

btw honesty works too

Marsh
06-13-2009, 04:30 PM
I think only 10% of the time my profs have asked for just a soft copy of assignments/essays...theres almost always both or ONLY just hard copy.