PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Gremlins

jay.low
06-12-2009, 10:17 PM
I'm constantly burning out fuse 37 in my '97 318i. Fuse 37 is linked to gauge lights, window switch lights, license plate lights and most importantly right side lights (which includes my rear tail light when I turn it on). I looked at the wires and found that a bunch of the wires leading to the headlight switch were melted together. I tried to separate the wires from each other but now my window switch lights are permanently on. This problem only started after the freak snow we had last weekend.

Can anyone help me sort out my wiring or recommend a shop that can sort things out for me? I won't be able to drive properly at night until this gets solved, so I need it solved ASAP!

5fivespeed
06-12-2009, 11:28 PM
Trace the wiring, cut - solder (or crimp if you don't know how) in new wire. That's what I would do.

Ray

Cooked Rice
06-13-2009, 12:42 AM
Find a wiring schematic and post it up. I should be able to give you some suggestions/things to check once i see the schematic of how your system works.

jay.low
06-14-2009, 09:39 PM
Google gave me this.

http://www.mediafire.com/?9qrhwhmthbz

Little update: Stereo now has grounding noise. I can hear the alternator through the stereo and the noise changes in accordance with the throttle. No fun. Also, something discharged the battery as I had troubles getting it started up the other day. Also found a diode spiced in connecting a purple and yellow wire together. Not sure what it's for, but it definitely looks after market.