PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy books?

npham
06-13-2009, 12:55 AM
Looking to buy a few software engineering/computer science books, and was wondering if anyone knew a good place to find them for cheap locally? Used is fine, as long as it is in good condition. I've checked out amazon.ca, chapters.ca and abebooks.com and it seems like most books in this genre is pretty expensive. Any help/ideas would be great.

*note the two books that I'm looking for are Pragmatic Programmer and Code Complete 2 but I was hoping to browse a few others as well.

adam c
06-13-2009, 12:56 AM
sait book store?

npham
06-13-2009, 01:00 AM
Besides being ninja fast, does the SAIT bookstore have used books as well. They are not really textbooks in the classical sense.

vinc456
06-13-2009, 03:40 PM
I own Code Complete 2 and can borrow Pragmatic Programmer from my boss.

If you want we can exchange books. As a student I also have access to a a Safari subscription and the U of C library and a Calgary public library membership.

This gives access to maybe 7/10 books I'm interested but failing that I just make a purchase from Amazon or Chapters.

PM me if you're interested. We should start some sort of book swap :P

npham
06-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Have you read both books? Are they the type of book you read once, and then never go back to it? It seems like the books are great at presenting some advice/wisdom/ideas but there's not a lot in the book to it after you've read it.

I'll probably try the UofC and SAIT bookstores, but both books are about 40 each on Amazon which isn't that much for this type of book genre.

ExtraSlow
06-13-2009, 06:14 PM
Demille technical books downtown might be the place. They have a good selection of engineering reference material.

Kritafo
06-13-2009, 06:20 PM
I would see if someone has them on freecycle.

D'z Nutz
06-13-2009, 06:54 PM
halfpricecomputerbooks.ca has been good to me over the years. Is this one of the books you're looking for?

http://halfpricecomputerbooks.ca/books-927726-020161622X-The_Pragmatic_Programmer_From_Journeyman_to_Master.html

vinc456
06-13-2009, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by npham
Have you read both books? Are they the type of book you read once, and then never go back to it? It seems like the books are great at presenting some advice/wisdom/ideas but there's not a lot in the book to it after you've read it.

I'll probably try the UofC and SAIT bookstores, but both books are about 40 each on Amazon which isn't that much for this type of book genre.

I've read one chapter of the Pragmatic Programmer and 4 chapters of Code Complete 2 so I can't really comment. If the material is still relevant and I think I can get something out of it I like to reread books.

I don't like the U of C bookstore because the books are expensive and the pickings are sort of slim. If you decide to give a visit make sure you visit Bound and Copied as well which is almost next door.

npham
06-13-2009, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
halfpricecomputerbooks.ca has been good to me over the years. Is this one of the books you're looking for?

http://halfpricecomputerbooks.ca/books-927726-020161622X-The_Pragmatic_Programmer_From_Journeyman_to_Master.html

That's one of the books right there, its about $5 more on amazon, so it's a small saving unless there's shipping charges...but I'll surf around that site some more.

I've never heard of freecycle and the Demille place, which looks like a good lead.