PDA

View Full Version : Shitty Weather - Anyone going to school???

Gondi Stylez
10-29-2003, 11:03 AM
Damn that weather, so shitty outside that it will be impossible for me to get to MRC today and I have 2 midterms.... fuck... so I just emailed my profs asking them if they could PLEASE give me another day to write them knowing that most people prolly wont end comin to class anyway! Anybody else have this problem, cant make it to school plus have midterms!!!! shitty for me, was my last day too, but i do get a couple extra days to study!!

beastie_boy
10-29-2003, 11:09 AM
i had midterms earlier this month. but this snow is :bullshit:

hjr
10-29-2003, 11:11 AM
yes. im at school right now. Its a bit slipppery, but not that bad here in edmonton. Im not sure if profs will be very lienient, especially if they are at the school themselves.

nismodrifter
10-29-2003, 11:18 AM
I am school right now

got to school 1/2 hourlate for first class because train was slow as hell and kept stopping (only missed a little bit of cpsc203 so nothing major)

my 2nd class (math with Bates) is cancelled.....he didn't come

I have 2 hours off and am studying right now.....

403Gemini
10-29-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Gondi Stylez
Damn that weather, so shitty outside that it will be impossible for me to get to MRC today and I have 2 midterms.... fuck... so I just emailed my profs asking them if they could PLEASE give me another day to write them knowing that most people prolly wont end comin to class anyway! Anybody else have this problem, cant make it to school plus have midterms!!!! shitty for me, was my last day too, but i do get a couple extra days to study!!

yea bud i e mailed my teachers i had to hand in my essay today, so i emailed it to her and sent her this picture:

http://www3.telus.net/403gemini/car/snow03.jpg

lol i think god is playing "Hide the saturn on Wayne" haha :D

Everybody be safe today! drive carefully. I couldnt even leave my district, and its only like 2 blocks for me to get out. i got stuck in middle of an intersection for about 5 minutes! good fun!!! :D

BE SAFE!

Blush
10-29-2003, 11:33 AM
I'm at school right now, took me a hr and a half :(

Hakkola
10-29-2003, 11:37 AM
Haha, only have poetry this morning, I can miss that :D

I'm gonna go for math at 4 though, shouldn't be too bad, and then astronomy.

I actually enjoy driving in this weather (with the beater), it's fun.

ACS-e36
10-29-2003, 11:38 AM
i spent 45 mins getting my dads car back home cuz it couldnt even ge tto the main street... ill be taking the F-ING bus

Blue Devil 2
10-29-2003, 11:38 AM
I'm in class right now, I just left 45mins early and got to school on time. It's not thaaaaaaaat bad outside, could be worse.

Gondi Stylez
10-29-2003, 11:41 AM
hahahahahahahaha well screw all u guys that did go to class!! haha JJ but damn over here in mackenzie with the constructions lanes and shit even the buses cant get out, so ive decided to screw class but i dont start till 2 and then math at 630 so will see if it improves cuz ive already missed psyc!!:thumbsup:

RiceCake
10-29-2003, 11:43 AM
I can't even move my car up or down the driveway.... how sad....

Oh well no class for me today anyways so I'll stay in :)

Seanith
Originally posted by 403Gemini

yea bud i e mailed my teachers i had to hand in my essay today, so i emailed it to her and sent her this picture:

http://www3.telus.net/403gemini/car/snow03.jpg

lol i think god is playing "Hide the saturn on Wayne" haha :D

Everybody be safe today! drive carefully. I couldnt even leave my district, and its only like 2 blocks for me to get out. i got stuck in middle of an intersection for about 5 minutes! good fun!!! :D

BE SAFE!

dude thats nothing. you must be weak. i got to school late as fuck but still did with my lowered civic. all you car needs is a little brushing man lol wait till it gets REALLY bad :rolleyes:

403Gemini
Hope it clears up for you Gondi :D i know what its like to almost miss a midterm ;)

403Gemini
10-29-2003, 11:49 AM
oh i got it all off :D took me about 10 min but its all off... then i drove 2 blocks, got stuck in an intersection and went home lol :D and here i am :)

nismodrifter
10-29-2003, 11:49 AM
hahaha...man with that pic you are worse off

look at the road behind the car.....tons of people driving it

it's not so bad...was a little backed up near the c-train station and down the hill but that was just because people taking it slow

Gondi Stylez
10-29-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by ~$eanith~

dude thats nothing. you must be weak. i got to school late as fuck but still did with my lowered civic. all you car needs is a little brushing man lol wait till it gets REALLY bad :rolleyes:

speaking of lowered cars, i should RAISE my teggy!!!!!!!! might be a good idea with about 10cm of snow and ice on the road! :thumbsup:

CelicaST-162
10-29-2003, 12:04 PM
yah screw this, im staying home! i have a project due for today!!! saved by the snow!!!!

Blue Devil 2
10-29-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by ~$eanith~

haha you tell him Sean. I didn't try taking my car out though :tongue:

Danger_Mouse
10-29-2003, 12:06 PM
hahaha, I didnt even look outside till about 10AM... I just slept in... cause im done my final project in Building Construction Class... but at 1230 I have Machanics... so im gonna go to that.

sexualbanana
10-29-2003, 12:15 PM
Dude, it's not that bad. I made it to school in my lowered car in 30 minutes and I was going speed limit or lower. I live in the SE and the U's in the NW.

KLCC
10-29-2003, 12:17 PM
yeah, the weather is not that bad at all....there was less snow than last year or this spring's massive snow dump. btw does anybody still have a picture of that massive snow dump.....???can't seem to find it from the search function anymore.

civiclvr
10-29-2003, 12:26 PM
YEAH!! finally got to school after 2 1/2 hours on the bus and train. couldnt get up a hill for about 45 mins.. then an accident at bow bottom and canyon meadows.... just great... oh well here now.. first snows suck!

Gondi Stylez
10-29-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by civiclvr
YEAH!! finally got to school after 2 1/2 hours on the bus and train. couldnt get up a hill for about 45 mins.. then an accident at bow bottom and canyon meadows.... just great... oh well here now.. first snows suck!

really and accident on BB and CM fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkk cuz i was gonna take 14th to get to school well now i dont fuckin know!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsdow

Kona9
10-29-2003, 12:36 PM
It is AMAZING with the amount of snow, and the amount of times Calgary gets snow, that people forget how to drive in the shit. Holy Christ people. I think the amount of liquor consumed at stampede erases the "how to drive in snow" function in the brains of most Calgarians!!!!!!!! I drove my lowered civic to work with no trouble other than following white knucklers that should have never even put the key in the ignition this morning. Still though.......take it easy and good luck to everybody.

Wildcat
10-29-2003, 12:47 PM
i made it to school.... those two flights of stairs were treacherous! :D

VWhooligan
10-29-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by KLCC
btw does anybody still have a picture of that massive snow dump.....???can't seem to find it from the search function anymore.

http://defaced.net/simon/misc/snow.jpg

here's a pic of my car from this springs dump

SHO
10-29-2003, 01:06 PM
What gets me is that it is the end of October and no one gets ready for the dump???? Heck it has snowed every year at on the last week of October for 4 years now... And people still think "Hmmm Just one more week with my Mickey Thompsons on." Just follow the old beaver scout motto "Be prepared" Otherwise fall into the same rutt as all the other "Special" people. These are my words not yours.

Praise the Lord, and Pass the ammo!!

Khyron
10-29-2003, 01:21 PM
Lowered Jetta, down CFCN hill to downtown. Traffic slow but not dangerous.

Now last year - this was snow:

http://www.nexus-point.net/chimera/bike-snow.jpg

Khyron

Davetronz
10-29-2003, 01:22 PM
It took the regular time to get to school this morning plus 5 mins to brush off the snow.
4x4 - Taking the not so beaten path ;)

rage2
10-29-2003, 02:09 PM
The problem is, there has been ZERO sanding trucks out. Pure ice on many inside roads. Sucks living in hilly areas, even with winter tires.

That and having the wind blow a 5ft snowdrift into the garage door :rofl:.

Tired as hell from shovelling, but still made it in after 4 hrs hehe.

/////AMG
10-29-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by rage2
The problem is, there has been ZERO sanding trucks out. Pure ice on many inside roads. Sucks living in hilly areas, even with winter tires.

That and having the wind blow a 5ft snowdrift into the garage door :rofl:.

Tired as hell from shovelling, but still made it in after 4 hrs hehe.

:werd: saw no sand trucks.

Thats why you get a HEATED driveway, We were gonna go with it but its like $10,000, I think its worth it if you are planning to live in that house your whole life lol. Just click a switch and watch the snow melt. That would be awesome.

max_boost
10-29-2003, 02:16 PM
Had no problems getting around today, I think it's because I left home at 11! haha

Moe Man
10-29-2003, 02:29 PM
i got to school on time just told my paps i need the jeep

i had fun doing donuts today

AquamosH
10-29-2003, 02:31 PM
Actually I heard on the radio that trucks have been out since 9 pm last night. They tried salt, but the wind would just blow it away before it got a chance to melt any ice. Then they tried sand but it would just get swept away from all the traffic.

PsI
10-29-2003, 02:33 PM
I was suppost to give celicast-162 a ride to school this mourning, but being that my truck is rwd, and the snow/slush shit in my ally is 2 feet high, i couldn't get out. A day off is always welcome!

CRXguy
10-29-2003, 02:33 PM
Deerfoot was horrible, it was all slushy and shit, couldn't see the lane markings at certain spots. I was suppose to work out in Bearspaw, but turned back when traffic was pretty much at a standstill west on Country Hills BLVD and 14st NW, after a 1.5hr drive.

rage2
10-29-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Porsche_944
Thats why you get a HEATED driveway, We were gonna go with it but its like $10,000, I think its worth it if you are planning to live in that house your whole life lol. Just click a switch and watch the snow melt. That would be awesome.
Heated driveway doesn't work when there's 2-5ft of snow covering the entire driveway doesn't it?

For some odd reason, my house seems to get the worse snowdrifts. Open the garage door, and all I see is a 2 ft opening up top. Scary stuff.

/////AMG
10-29-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Heated driveway doesn't work when there's 2-5ft of snow covering the entire driveway doesn't it?

*SNIP*

I'm not sure, i think i still have that booklet, I'll check it out. It should work, all it is, is a bunch of like pipes under the cement and hot water circulates through it. It would be good for a house with hardwood and/or tiles, because out hardwood is really cold during the winter. But then you have that issue about the wood expanding and stuff. I'll check it when I get home.

itsnotaDUB
10-29-2003, 02:53 PM
slept in today maybe go on mon....

Ajay
10-29-2003, 02:57 PM

:werd: saw no sand trucks.

I saw a sanding truck out last night when I was going home last night around 2AM.

I was going north on Sarcee to turn onto John Laurie and saw a sanding truck hung up in the ditch. That truck wasn't going ANYWHERE....both bumpers were resting on the inclines of the ditch and the tires were dangling down. No way that truck was gonna get out without a tow.

ryder_23
10-29-2003, 03:02 PM
I hate ice frozen hilly driveways.....took me 20minutes to get my car unstuck....:banghead:

Fluidic
10-29-2003, 03:05 PM
lol, you went driving in this shit Jaret... even though I almost died 5 times last night? hahaha :rofl:

Peter

thich
10-29-2003, 03:07 PM

I'm not sure, i think i still have that booklet, I'll check it out. It should work, all it is, is a bunch of like pipes under the cement and hot water circulates through it. It would be good for a house with hardwood and/or tiles, because out hardwood is really cold during the winter. But then you have that issue about the wood expanding and stuff. I'll check it when I get home.

my friend has a heated basement floor with tiles... amazingly warm.

but i would have a major concern with the heated driveway:
so the snow on your driveway MAY get melted away from the head and so on and leaves ur driveway clear... but what about the road that's in front of your house when the water/slush accumulates there? :nut:
i smell a black-ice deathtrap!... that water/slush has to get frozen again somewhere... :tongue:

Canadian 2.5RS
10-29-2003, 03:35 PM
i was doing scooby nuts on the way to school taday. yay for snow and AWDrifts.

Im having so much fun.

sputnik
10-29-2003, 03:38 PM
I call BS on the heated driveway. I agree that you can do "in-slab" heating for garages and basement with the use of a boiler, glycol and several miles of pipes... but it would be only an idiot that would do it for their driveway.

not only would it be an expensive install, but it would require another boiler and an INSANE amount of power or gas to keep the driveway above zero at all time... your bills would be insane... it would be like leaving 10 uncovered hottubs running 24/7 through the winter.

:bullshit:

nismodrifter
10-29-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
I call BS on the heated driveway. I agree that you can do "in-slab" heating for garages and basement with the use of a boiler, glycol and several miles of pipes... but it would be only an idiot that would do it for their driveway.

not only would it be an expensive install, but it would require another boiler and an INSANE amount of power or gas to keep the driveway above zero at all time... your bills would be insane... it would be like leaving 10 uncovered hottubs running 24/7 through the winter.

I am 99.999999% sure that a guy in my neighborhood has one
The technology is there.....it has been for a while now....all that matters is if the owner has enough $$$ to pay for that shit (if you got the $$ anything can be done..)

Hakkola
10-29-2003, 03:48 PM
Haha, fuck, anyone wanna drive me to school, my mom is stuck at the clinic with the Volvo and the benz doesn't have winters :rofl: looks like I'm gonna miss math.

thich
10-29-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

The technology is there.....it has been for a while now....all that matters is if the owner has enough $$$ to pay for that shit (if you got the $$ anything can be done..)

:werd:

PLUS i think they are using the more energy efficient boilers anyways now.

szw
10-29-2003, 04:02 PM
403gemini, if I was a prof and you sent me that lame ass picture, I would kick you out of my class.

CRXguy
10-29-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by szw
403gemini, if I was a prof and you sent me that lame ass picture, I would kick you out of my class.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

403Gemini
10-29-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by szw

she actually laughed and said "see you monday, enjoy the long weekend" :D i emailed her my assignment tho so meh not like i missed a whole lot.

I think the city needs heated streets ;)

Melinda
10-29-2003, 04:31 PM
Sunshine here in Vancouver! ;)

Kona9
10-29-2003, 04:32 PM
I am sure there are alot of places doing and using this, but in Kelowna they have tanker trucks that drive around spraying the roads with a de-icer fluid of some sort. It works real well. No rust from salt, and no rock chips from sand, and it actually meltsquite well.

403Gemini
10-29-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Kona9
I am sure there are alot of places doing and using this, but in Kelowna they have tanker trucks that drive around spraying the roads with a de-icer fluid of some sort. It works real well. No rust from salt, and no rock chips from sand, and it actually meltsquite well.

find the brand name and tell me, ill forward it to our mayor ;)

Khyron
10-29-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

find the brand name and tell me, ill forward it to our mayor ;)

We have it. It only works to a point tho. Last year I was coming in from High River - highway was brutal, as soon as I crossed into city limits, the roads were snow free, just wet. It was like crossing a magic line. (Snow started an hour or 2 earlier, the roads were not ploughed)

Khyron

finboy
10-29-2003, 10:44 PM
i got stuck twice :(

the jetta has bald tires, and is lowered 3 inches, its like an out of control snow plow.

if i got some better tires, i would have a blast ;)

gkAeris
10-29-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Gondi Stylez

i'm not sure that profs would use that excuse, my prof actually WARNED us ahead, and told us to leave 1 hr earlier to get to school, so we could write our midterms!

ryder_23
10-29-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Khyron

We have it. It only works to a point tho. Last year I was coming in from High River - highway was brutal, as soon as I crossed into city limits, the roads were snow free, just wet. It was like crossing a magic line. (Snow started an hour or 2 earlier, the roads were not ploughed)

Khyron

ya rcmp use it on the bridge by my house, only sometimes tho, seems to have to be an accident first before they put it down :dunno:

girlRACER
10-29-2003, 11:04 PM
hehe...I take the C-train to school so I didn't experience any delays. Time to slap on the winter tires/rims. :)

Davetronz
10-29-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Melinda
Sunshine here in Vancouver! ;)
You are getting thrown in the snow when you get back.
Rolland I am throwing her in the snow.

Melinda
10-30-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by FastDak318

Than I'm not coming home :burnout:

davidI
10-30-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

Yea, a few people in my neighbourhood have them although I'm not sure of the cost. I know that if it's snowing heavily...ie. an expected foot of accumulation they just turn it on for a few hours while the snow is falling so it melts as it lands. I'm sure the bills are expensive for heating all the water or glycol or whatever but they definately work. As far as accumulation of water at the bottom of your driveway...that's why you build your house on a hill :D

Dirty_SOHC
10-30-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by FastDak318

dead:thumbsdow haha

Weapon_R
10-30-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

It's actually not that unfamiliar - we have a heated driveway, our house was built in the 80s, and it's not expensive since the water used is the warm water that has circulated through the house already and is about to be reheated (via boiler). It makes its way through the driveway and back into the boiler instead of going straight to the boiler. Further, you can open and close the valves any time if you don't want the water to run through your driveway. It's neither hard to do nor is it expensive...

Davetronz
10-30-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Dirty_SOHC

dead:thumbsdow haha
Ok so Mel and Rolland are gonna both get thrown in the snow ;)