PDA

View Full Version : Very odd misfire RB20DET

G-Man127
06-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Alrighty,

So I have an RB20DET powered Cefiro, and recently it just started running on two Cylinders... it seems that only 1 and 3 are firing, however all other coilpacks when pulled out and tested are definitely making a solid spark.

I have tried new MAF, Igniter, ECU, Coilpacks, Insulating with RTV, wiring, everything seems to be okay. However the car struggles to idle and is making lots of loud popping and running phenomenally rich.

No codes have been thrown, spark plugs are all new, no vacuum leaks, everything seems to be okay? The car honestly ran fine a couple weeks ago, I pushed it outside and it hasn't ran properly since!!!

This has got me incredibly frustrated and obviously I want the car to work!
Please give me any insight towards the problem, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Cooked Rice
06-13-2009, 06:16 PM
check the MAF and the piping

epp01
06-13-2009, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by G-Man127
Very odd misfire RB20DET

Misfires in RB20's aren't odd, they're common lol. :rofl:

S13_Ryan
06-13-2009, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by epp01

Misfires in RB20's aren't odd, they're common lol. :rofl:

great contribution to a thread from a guy whos looking for a bit of help. GTFO newb:whipped:

Nissan_Fanboy
06-13-2009, 08:33 PM
Is your compression and everything fine?
Does it run, and what RPM does it misfire? Just all the time?

o2 Sensor?

JTC180
06-13-2009, 09:34 PM
Do you have a air fuel controller thats messing with anything? Is your FPR working?

sr20s14zenki
06-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Have you tryed another ecu? Maybe you have a short somewhere in your harness. Is your ignitor well grounded? How do your plugs look, really wet? take your coilpacks all out and check for spark one by one. If you have spark on all 6 look towards injectrion next.

Also, a bad boost leak will cause these symptoms.

and yes, a bad maf as well

G-Man127
06-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Hm,

yeah Ive basically tried everything listed. Im not sure if the injectors are bad or not. Is there a way to test them?

Thanks!

zieg
06-14-2009, 01:18 PM
Easiest way to check em would probably be to pull the fuel rail off, and crank the thing, while having someone watch them to see if they are firing. You could also remove them and take them somewhere to get cleaned and flowtested. That'll uncover any problems with them and they're probably due for a cleaning anyhow.

badatusrnames
06-14-2009, 01:25 PM
PTU gone bad?

sr20s14zenki
06-14-2009, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by ZiG-87
Easiest way to check em would probably be to pull the fuel rail off, and crank the thing, while having someone watch them to see if they are firing. You could also remove them and take them somewhere to get cleaned and flowtested. That'll uncover any problems with them and they're probably due for a cleaning anyhow.

Only one problem with removing the rail. you need to hold the injectors on, so you would need 3 people's hands in there. LOL, the fuel pressure will blow the injectors right out of there.

put the end of a screwdriver to the injector body, put the other end to your ear and press it against your ear. Get a friend to crank, you will hear a rythmic ticking.

Primer_Drift
06-14-2009, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by ZiG-87
Easiest way to check em would probably be to pull the fuel rail off, and crank the thing, while having someone watch them to see if they are firing..

I lol'd at this..

Better yet, do this near an ignition source for increased awesomeness.

I concur with sr20s14zenki's posts, also if it seems like it is "running phenomenally rich" it would indicate that the cylinders are indeed getting fuel.. if you've checked for spark then you can rule out the coil packs.. so an ignition timing issue would be the most likely culprit. I would test the camshaft position sensor and wiring to the ecu.