PDA

View Full Version : 2x4 - how much weight can they handle?

black_2.5RS
06-14-2009, 09:57 AM
I'm framing the basement and have ability to hammer in a few extra 2x4's to support a 42" LCD + wall mount. The instructions with the wall mount say the wall must support 5x the total weight of the TV and mount (which amounts to about 490 lbs based on my calculation).

I know when hanging an LCD, you have to drill into studs - but on a non-load bearing wall, will 2 x 4's (assume minimum 16" on center) be enough to support 490 lbs of weight? If so, how many?

I know many of you have probably hung TVs off of walls - I want to get your experience as to what went well / what didn't.

spikerS
06-14-2009, 10:55 AM
this is what I would do.

In the wall that you are planning to hang the TV, double up the studs, and make sure that you are able to realy anchor them into the ceiling.

really, all the weight will be down to the floor, and not bending the 2x4, thus you don't have to worry much about flex, just compression of the 2x4.

Just make sure the bolts you are using to go into the wood are of sufficient size to hold that weight. better yet, use the biggest bolts you can that will fit into the rack. depending on this size, maybe even tripple up the studs on each end.

barmanjay
06-14-2009, 11:13 AM
2x4's will hold your 42" lcd with no prob

there's only 2 holding my 42" plasma + heavy duty wall mount

You want good sized lag bolts