PDA

View Full Version : Need help setting up Dlink wireless router with Telus 2Wire modem

92_VTEC_lude
06-14-2009, 01:05 PM
I am trying to set a new Dlink wireless router with Telus 2Wire modem (the one has built-in router) because the router inside 2wire modem really sucks the monkey ball, I can not find the option to turn off the router in 2Wire modem so I can use the Dlink router with it. I have access to the 2wire modem setup page but still can not turn the router option off in the 2wire modem. I have called Telus and they are no help at all as they do not know how to do that as well.:banghead:
Anyone had any success of the same set up please share your experience
thankyou

Mibz
06-14-2009, 03:26 PM
What's your problem with the Telus router?

92_VTEC_lude
06-14-2009, 07:52 PM
Almost everytime I connect to the 2wire router using wireless device(s) it reset itself, when I could connect to it, the wireless range is not far enough for my friend house so he bought a Dlink 655 router to get better range for his wireless devices.
anyone know a way to turn off the routing function inside the 2wire router so it becomes a modem only? or I have to call Telus to get them to send my friend a modem only?

megavolt
06-14-2009, 10:11 PM
The gateway function of the 2wire router is in the administration options... which you need the administrator password to get to. And the last time I checked noone knew what it was.

You can turn off the wireless part of the router, let the dlink router get an ip, then set the dlink's ip as the DMZ address (so that all ports are forwarded to the dlink router).

That's how I've got mine set up. God I hate this 2wire modem. :banghead:

92_VTEC_lude
06-14-2009, 11:24 PM
megavolt check your PM
I do not mind to use both routers 2wire for the wired PC and Dlink for the wireless devices as long as I can get better wireless range...
thankyou so much

megavolt
06-15-2009, 09:41 AM
I set it up the way I did because I didn't want to have to do administration on both routers. Using the DMZ you can just forget about the 2wire.

If your dlink router has the option to turn into a wireless gateway then that would work too, leaving the routing to the 2wire.

Boat
06-15-2009, 07:45 PM
The password for my friend's 2wire is telus.

Try that!

saltyvinegar
06-17-2009, 04:43 PM
You won't be able to turn off the router inside the 2wire. You will need to configure your new router on a different subnet than the 2wire. Then your new router should be able to sync to the router in the 2wire and routing for internet should work.

Bushy
06-20-2009, 09:46 PM
If you are still having issues pm me. I might be able to help