PDA

View Full Version : Combined Degrees?

rixxx
06-14-2009, 05:12 PM

Nusc
06-14-2009, 08:20 PM
If you can do it, yes I would recommend it in your case if it only takes you one more. It leaves you with more opportunities but that depends on what the BSc is in. What is it? If you had BComm + BSc CPSC, it shouldn't be very hard to find a job.

If it was BComm + BSc Applied Mathematics/Pure Mathematics or statistics that would be good as well and even better if you pursue graduate studies in mathematical finance.

Did you graduate this year? If yes, then you can't obtain the combined degree written on your transcript. But you will still have two separate degrees in either case. It seems to me you were going to stay in school anyway.

rixxx
06-14-2009, 09:38 PM

Nusc
06-14-2009, 10:06 PM
That's a killer combination. I would do it if your looking for employment right after graduation.

People always need code monkeys.

As for the long term it's entirely up to you on what you want to do later on.

vinc456
06-14-2009, 10:17 PM
I have a buddy that graduated with a double degree with Computer Science and Engineering. He hasn't been able to find work related to his degrees and I'm actually vouching to bring him on board. Anyways this is anecdotal and means nothing but I think if you're good at what you do you never have to worry about employment.

Nusc
06-14-2009, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by vinc456
I have a buddy that graduated with a double degree with Computer Science and Engineering. He hasn't been able to find work related to his degrees and I'm actually vouching to bring him on board. Anyways this is anecdotal and means nothing but I think if you're good at what you do you never have to worry about employment.

That's interesting.

Which engineering?
What is his GPA?
When did he graduate?
Was this before or after the recession?

Also take note that vinc456 is vouching for his computer science background from a post he had previously - I would assume.

So there is an example of where your combined degree may help as a backup.

vinc456
06-14-2009, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Nusc

That's interesting.

Which engineering?
What is his GPA?
When did he graduate?
Was this before or after the recession?

Also take note that vinc456 is vouching for his computer science background from a post he had previously - I would assume.

So there is an example of where your combined degree may help as a backup.

He graduated from Civil engineering and CS last Fall, after the recession and has been unable to find work for ~half a year. I think he had roughly a 3.8 GPA in his last two years but his first four were weaker. I hope I didn't give him away!

If you have the opportunity and ability to get a double degree then more power to you. A lot of people I know that aim for multiple degrees, concentrations, and PhD end up just getting regular degrees, myself included. I would leave the door open but realize that you may have second thoughts.

Nowadays almost everybody has a degree, so I think many employers like to give technical interviews to weed out the chaff. Ultimately employers hire you to make them money so in my opinion your skills/ability to bring value are more important than what your degree/gpa/personality.

Nusc
06-14-2009, 11:36 PM

He graduated from Civil engineering and CS last Fall, after the recession and has been unable to find work for ~half a year. I think he had roughly a 3.8 GPA in his last two years but his first four were weaker. I hope I didn't give him away!

Aren't we still in a recession? The economy is still poor and we're in the largest deficit in Canadian history I believe - it wouldn't have been so bad if Harper didn't cut the GST and didn't spend so much and he's not even increasing taxes to get us out of deficit. There are those who say "we're recovering" but that was speculative. Of course, don't trust Jim Flaherty as he has lost much credibility.

If you have the opportunity and ability to get a double degree then more power to you. A lot of people I know that aim for multiple degrees, concentrations, and PhD end up just getting regular degrees, myself included. I would leave the door open but realize that you may have second thoughts.

If you know your current degree won't increase your chances of getting a job, some opt to do the combined degree in some other field to improve that. But in rixx's case, this shouldn't matter. If he just wants to give up and finish towards the end of his program he could at least apply for a minor in CPSC.

What do you mean by regular degrees?

Nowadays almost everybody has a degree, so I think many employers like to give technical interviews to weed out the chaff. Ultimately employers hire you to make them money so in my opinion your skills/ability to bring value are more important than what your degree/gpa/personality.

Ideally the degree should bring you skills. ie. CPSC would entail that you know how to program. But career wise, what you know may not be as important as who you know.

vinc456
06-15-2009, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Nusc

Aren't we still in a recession? The economy is still poor and we're in the largest deficit in Canadian history I believe - it wouldn't have been so bad if Harper didn't cut the GST and he's not even increasing taxes to get us out of deficit. There are those who say "we're recovering" but that was speculative. Of course, don't trust Jim Flaherty.

If you know your current degree won't increase your chances of getting a job, some opt to do the combined degree in some other field to improve that. But in rixx's case, this shouldn't matter. If he just wants to give up and finish towards the end of his program he could at least apply for a minor in CPSC.

What do you mean by regular degrees?

Ideally the degree should bring you skills. ie. CPSC would entail that you know how to program. But career wise, what you know may not be as important as who you know.

I meant he graduated in the middle of the recession, after it started. Yes the horror stories are true and it is still brutal out there if you're looking for work.

By regular degree, I meant that I considered the fancy degrees but am settling with the vanilla flavored BSc in Science, Computer Science. Many people choose to opt for minors, honours and concentrations which is awesome but I found it too restrictive.

By the way the Computer Science program at the U of C isn't geared towards churning out great developers. You learn a lot of other cool stuff but beyond CPSC 231/233/235 the formal instruction is pretty limited. Not to worry though because if programming is your thing you are still in great company, can pick it up at your own time or try SAIT.

I don't think you really can't go wrong with a business or CS degree so as far as dilemmas go you have it pretty good.

I knew two people in first year that wanted CPSC/Business degrees. One left CPSC for business and the other switched to a double degree in mathematics and computer science. I met one fellow in a second year course who was still plugging away and I don't know whether he's continuing to pursue this route. I know of another student by reputation who wanted the BComm/CPSC degree and is now just pursuing CPSC. Every single one of these guys genuinely thought they were going to get a double degree but not a single one made it.