PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Leaf Spring

swak
06-14-2009, 09:12 PM
Im in the process of taking the leafspring out of my silverado 1500 (never played around with suspension repairs before).

I have a jack stand on either side of the axle, is this enough support for when the leaf is completely out? It seems to me that the area would almost completely fall/flop down on the one part where there is no suspension.

Is there anything else you'd recommend doing?
Any advice/tips would be really appreciated.

Abeo
06-14-2009, 09:22 PM
What year is the truck? Are you just replacing one leaf or both?

If it were just one leaf, I'd put one stand under the axle near the leaf, remove the u-bolts, drop the rear then the front... if its an older truck, hit it with some penetrating oil a few hours/days beforehand, and hope to god the bushings aren't seized onto the bolts. An impact gun helps, too...

swak
06-14-2009, 09:30 PM
hahahaha..
Thanks Abeo. Its a 2000 Chevy, and only one leaf (driver side if it matters)
Ive been religious with the WD-40, and im pretty sure the bushing is seized onto the front bolt.

Them bolts are tight!!!
Bringing out the impact gun tomorrow morning.

Abeo
06-14-2009, 09:35 PM
3 foot breaker bar from princess auto helps, too

get the torches ready...

FiveFreshFish
06-15-2009, 01:08 AM
This works much better than WD-40.

http://www.threepeaksproducts.com/products/gibbslube/img/cans.jpg

anothers10
06-15-2009, 03:38 AM
You should use the jack stands under the frame. Then use a floor jack to support the axel when you remove the leaf.

Abeo
06-15-2009, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by anothers10
You should use the jack stands under the frame. Then use a floor jack to support the axel when you remove the leaf.

Yeah, thats what you should do... apparently I wasn't thinking when I posted

ExtraSlow
06-15-2009, 08:04 AM
If you can't get those bolts to budge, try using a blow torch.
Let them heat and cool a few times while doused with the penetrating lube, that action helps draw it into the threads.
Also, WD-40 is not a penetrating lube. Use something like FiveFreshFish posted, PD Blaster, or something similar.