PDA

View Full Version : Tips on Modding?

Nissan_Fanboy
06-15-2009, 04:18 PM
Would like it to be a fun Daily Driver, but be "fun" to drive.
I don't wanna be the stock Ej1 at beyond meets, you know?
Anyone have any ideas?
1994 Ej1,
-D16Z6,
-No name Short Ram Intake
-Lowered on Neuspeed springs
-Compustar Alarm
Thats pretty much it,
My plans,

-Powder coat rims,
-Exhaust

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs035.snc1/3269_103416360662_658530662_2945794_5215152_n.jpg

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs035.snc1/3269_103416330662_658530662_2945788_6881593_n.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs035.snc1/3269_103416340662_658530662_2945790_6758810_n.jpg

Skyline_Addict
06-15-2009, 04:46 PM
Well, what sort of goals are you looking to achieve via modding?

Daily Driver/Weekend Racer?
Exterior/Interior Aesthetics?
"ICE"?
Race Car?
Etc.

You should know what you want out of your car before you start modding it. It'll make your life easier and probably save you money down the road.

Brutucus
06-15-2009, 04:50 PM
Depends on your budget/plans are man.
But if you are gonna mod your ride, you should upgrade the security on it. Nothing worst than having your car stolen, then go from there.

Nissan_Fanboy
06-15-2009, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
Well, what sort of goals are you looking to achieve via modding?

Daily Driver/Weekend Racer?
Exterior/Interior Aesthetics?
"ICE"?
Race Car?
Etc.

You should know what you want out of your car before you start modding it. It'll make your life easier and probably save you money down the road.

Yeah i fixed that,
I want it to be a Daily driver, that isn't riced out and is a nice car.
Something that will turn heads, and not because it looks like it could fly.

and it has a compustar alarm

speeed
06-15-2009, 05:06 PM
is this the car that's always at the superstore parking lot by dief?

clean car man keep it up.

maybe new wheels? just dont do anything fast and furious :barf:

Nissan_Fanboy
06-15-2009, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by speeed
is this the car that's always at the superstore parking lot by dief?

clean car man keep it up.

maybe new wheels? just dont do anything fast and furious :barf:

haha YEAHHH thats me man,
Thanks, i plan to keep it pretty much stock for the exterior,
maybe a mugen lip and cf hood for the outside, thats about it.
I'm either going to get some nice new rims, but i just bought new tires for my rims, and i don't wanna buy more tires, so i wanna powder coat them a gunmetal gray or a gold.

speeed
06-15-2009, 05:21 PM
i see.
yeah rims and exhaust would be a good start. i say powder coat them gunmetal grey but thats just my opinion.

my car look familiar to you at all? i'm parked there everyday too ;)

Nissan_Fanboy
06-15-2009, 05:40 PM
i see.
yeah rims and exhaust would be a good start. i say powder coat them gunmetal grey but thats just my opinion.

my car look familiar to you at all? i'm parked there everyday too ;)

yeahh man!
what grade you in man?

nykz
06-15-2009, 05:41 PM
If you're going to powder coat them, do it up gunmetal :thumbsup: Or you could always get some new shoes, it has a pretty nice stance as it is, unlike my 4 runner. You go to dief right? I see your car everyday... as I'm usually parked in the same lot :)

Nissan_Fanboy
06-15-2009, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by nykz
If you're going to powder coat them, do it up gunmetal :thumbsup: Or you could always get some new shoes, it has a pretty nice stance as it is, unlike my 4 runner. You go to dief right? I see your car everyday... as I'm usually parked in the same lot :)

Yeah you drive the white prelude right?

nykz
06-15-2009, 05:45 PM
Haha yeah thats me. Your EJ is really clean :thumbsup:

Nissan_Fanboy
06-15-2009, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by nykz
Haha yeah thats me. Your EJ is really clean :thumbsup:

Thanks man,
Yours is clean too, you need some coils or springs like mad though.
Shit i now know like 3 or four people on beyond that go to dief,
We should have a dief crew cruise.

:thumbsup:

speeed
06-15-2009, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Nissan_Fanboy

yeahh man!
what grade you in man?

im actually graduating this year, so is nykz. so you probably wont be seeing us next year haha. good luck with your future mods :thumbsup:

Nissan_Fanboy
06-15-2009, 06:09 PM

im actually graduating this year, so is nykz. so you probably wont be seeing us next year haha. good luck with your future mods :thumbsup:

Shit man, that sucks,
Ill only be in 11 next year haha.

Well we should cruise man,
definitely hittin up the next beyond cruise.

Scope951
06-15-2009, 06:12 PM
IMO not worth it if your as die hard of a nissan fan as you claim.

Save up and mod the car you actually want.

Right now I know what your feeling, you have a car, not the one you want but you just want to mod the shit out of it.

You will save yourself ALOT by simply saving up for that Nissan you want so badly.

This is my opinion: Maintain the civic and use it as a daily, save your pennies and buy the car you want, then you wont think back about all the money you wasted.

Nissan_Fanboy
06-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Scope951
IMO not worth it if your as die hard of a nissan fan as you claim.

Save up and mod the car you actually want.

Right now I know what your feeling, you have a car, not the one you want but you just want to mod the shit out of it.

You will save yourself ALOT by simply saving up for that Nissan you want so badly.

This is my opinion: Maintain the civic and use it as a daily, save your pennies and buy the car you want, then you wont think back about all the money you wasted.

Yeah your right.
God so many people with so many opinions.
I guess ill work for the summer and see what i got,
then make a decision from there.
:thumbsup:

Skyline_Addict
06-15-2009, 09:36 PM

Yeah i fixed that,
I want it to be a Daily driver, that isn't riced out and is a nice car.
Something that will turn heads, and not because it looks like it could fly.

and it has a compustar alarm

pretty much endless options. but what I gather from this, you want a "clean" car. JDM, I'm guessing.

well. oem or oem-style lip kits should do good. a nice set of wheels and a good drop is always nice. you don't have to buy Volks or forged wheels if you're just going for looks - nothing wrong with getting replicas to achieve this.

the most immediately cost effective way to lower the car is getting a set of springs, such as Tein and Eibach. this could considerably increase wear on the shocks though. coilovers are always a good option, and not all of them are super expensive.

riced
06-15-2009, 10:15 PM
This is a pretty clean Ej1

http://homepage.mac.com/dexstar71/blackm7ej1.1.jpg

To keep it clean and nice on a budget.. grab some rims, maybe a mugen lip, sidemarkers, window visors and a clean looking exhaust.

For me personally, I think a good looking car is a clean one. Since you have a black car, the swirls and the years have taken a big hit on it. Get it polished and waxed, and you'll already have a better looking car.

Nissan_Fanboy
06-15-2009, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by riced

To keep it clean and nice on a budget.. grab some rims, maybe a mugen lip, sidemarkers, window visors and a clean looking exhaust.

For me personally, I think a good looking car is a clean one. Since you have a black car, the swirls and the years have taken a big hit on it. Get it polished and waxed, and you'll already have a better looking car.

Thats a nice lookin car man,
Really clean. Thanks for the advice.

Freestylin
06-16-2009, 12:25 PM
In terms of the exterior, you would be able to get some ideas here:

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1257947

or you can join a site that I find really resourceful:

http://www.ej1ownersclub.com

wes_v
06-16-2009, 12:41 PM
If you want a clean looking EJ, This is what i would do:
1. Tint all the windows like 20% all the way around
2. Maybe even smoke the tailights
3. Put some rotas on it like gt-3's or Track R's or J-mags
4. And maybe even a catback exhaust

I also agree with everything riced said.

:werd:

Nissan_Fanboy
06-17-2009, 07:06 PM
God damn, Now i wanna turbo it, drop a catback, DO EVERYTHING.

haha, i think ill start by getting some money going towards the catback and tint.
:facepalm:

Skyline_Addict
06-17-2009, 08:13 PM
work within a budget. it's satisfying to enjoy your car as it goes through it's stages as opposed to just dumping everything in at once.

gpomp
06-22-2009, 12:59 AM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/Ekliptix/SS%20June%2022%202007/31.jpg

sr20det
06-22-2009, 01:16 AM
Go to pnp and get a honda badge for the hood ( cheap, but it will look 100x better without the holes ) unless you like that look then de-badge the trunk and fill the holes.

You could take the wing off?

coilover's( sleeves) and slamm it?
JDM SIR cluster
antenna delete?
JDM Headlights/corners + add Oem side markers?
DC2 seat swap?
add ITR F/r Sway bar + asr?
4 or 5 lug conversion?
upgrade your shifter bushing = best $12.00 mod you can do, other than the sidemarkers.

Nissan_Fanboy
06-22-2009, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by sr20det
Go to pnp and get a honda badge for the hood ( cheap, but it will look 100x better without the holes ) unless you like that look then de-badge the trunk and fill the holes.

JDM SIR cluster
antenna delete?
DC2 seat swap?
4 or 5 lug conversion?
upgrade your shifter bushing = best $12.00 mod you can do, other than the sidemarkers.

Thanks for the input man.
I'm looking for a short shifter, and the hood was debadged when i got it. I'm going to try and find a badge, there is some rust starting around the holes.

FiveFreshFish
06-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Suspension mods first.

Nissan_Fanboy
06-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Suspension mods first.

True, but i'm on a pretty extensive budget right now.
Whats the best coilovers i can get that are in a good price range?
And with those coilovers, should i do everything? New bushings ect?
And how about sway bars, and everything like that?

gpomp
06-22-2009, 07:44 PM
sway bars will make the biggest difference in handling. integra bars will work, 24mm up front and 22 or 23mm in the back

Nissan_Fanboy
06-22-2009, 10:45 PM
Yeah i might have to pick up a pair of used ones.

wes_v
06-22-2009, 10:56 PM

JDM SIR cluster
antenna delete?
DC2 seat swap?
4 or 5 lug conversion?

If you did all of that, you're ride would be beyond jdm as @#$%
except dont do the 5 lug conversion that costs a lot and for what?
1 other thing get jdm folding mirrors those would really make your car look unique.

Nissan_Fanboy
06-22-2009, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by wes_v

If you did all of that, you're ride would be beyond jdm as @#$%
except dont do the 5 lug conversion that costs a lot and for what?
1 other thing get jdm folding mirrors those would really make your car look unique.

Can't forget the JDM EGO license plate haha

Nissan_Fanboy
06-22-2009, 11:07 PM
Okay, so here is my new list.

New Honda Badge - 10 bucks
Wing Off - Free
coilover's - 700 used ?
JDM SIR cluster - 150
antenna delete - free?
JDM Headlights/corners + add Oem side markers - 150 ish?
DC2 seat swap - 150-300
add ITR F/r Sway bar + asr - 400?
Short Shifter / Bushings - 30 used ?
Side Markers - 60 ?
Exhaust - 500 (Apexi WS2)

Please correct my prices if you think they are a little to out of wack!

TOTAL = I'm going to say around 2000 / 2500
and thats without rims / or anything going into the engine to give it some OOMMPH,

Also, What should i do about the rust coming in around the wheel well in the bottom and around. It is just minor and very hard to see, but i wanna catch it before it spreads like mad. AutoDreamMarvin reccomended POR15 to help me out.
What all would i need to do? and how much

eglove
06-22-2009, 11:09 PM
buy my spun supameshes

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/33/l_bf908842b7c9494dbf637293802eb5ca.jpg

gpomp
06-23-2009, 12:27 AM
don't get jdm headlights. there's no point and it's next to impossible to find bulbs for them.

eglove
06-23-2009, 12:49 AM
^ and the fact they are aimed incorrectly.

DSM4LIFE
06-23-2009, 01:11 AM
hey fanboy i was in the exact same situation. i have always wanted to build a nissan but never did. i bought a honda did some mods to it, such as coilovers exhaust, rims, engine swap but i still really wanted a nissan. now i'm selling the honda to do so and if you want a nissan as bad as i do i would say just do little things to the civic but save for the nissan. definately worth it.

sr20det
06-23-2009, 02:44 AM
shifter bushing is like $12 + change at Mopac, and it's usually an instock item from my knowledge.

If you aren't super serious about performance but just want the slammed look, just ebay some coilover sleeves, and get some good shocks if you got the cash..oem will do fine, or try and find some oem type R or eg/ej shocks if yours are blown.

theres a guy on ebay who consistantly sells Aftermarket/oem look side marker lights on ebay...they usually are like 11.99-12.25 buy it now.

focus on slamming the car, and the minor body mods, and don't spend 10bucks on the hood honda badge. Go to pnp, with a screwdriver....try and find a decent hood w/ emblem..and pry it off, stick it in your pocket, and walk out. Unless you want an oem mint badge. Then by all means go ahead.

i tried to add a pic of my car to the post..hope it works.

sr20det
06-23-2009, 03:08 AM
guess it didn't, just blame gpomp.

AutodreamMarvin
06-23-2009, 03:48 AM
If you are on a budget and you have a goal in mind, then plan for it.

Most of the stuff on there is a little useless and may cause further problems:

Wing off - May be free now, but to fill the holes and
bodywork will cost you, especially if you want it to look good.

Antenna delete - same as above. You will lose reception as well.

JDM SiR cluster - will be somewhat useless to you. Redline is higher then necessary, and the speedometer only reads up to 180kmh. May have issues upon resale as well.

The car is already lowered on Neuspeed Sport springs. They ride very smooth and handling is improved over stock.

For suspension, a good budget setup would be:

-Suspension Techniques rear sway bar
-Tokico blue struts or Koni reds

The rear sway bar will help the car rotate and reduce understeer. If the car is too loose, you can upgrade the front sway bar bushings to urethane pieces. A subframe brace is recommended but not absolutely necessary. I've used that sway bar on my Del Sol and it did not tear the subframe even after a few autocrosses.

The struts are better dampened to handle the increased spring rate.

Performance wise, a few well selected modifications should satisfy you until more funds come, or until you buy your Nissan.

-AEM cold air intake
-DC Sports or similar header
-Apex'i WS2 exhaust

The AEM has been proven to make the most power for the Z6. SCC had a dyno shootout a few years ago, and the AEM unit outperformed all of the competition.

The DC Sports header(4-2-1, 2 pc) is a well designed unit that is a good match for the z6 powerband. There are alot of knock-offs that are pretty much the exact same as the DC unit. Megan Racing offers a good replica at a fraction of the cost.

If your budget permits, the Comp Cams 59300 camshaft is a good upgrade.

The short shifter is a good idea matched with the Energy Suspension shift stabilizer kit. If you would like the shifter closer to you, a shifter made for the DC2 will be a good choice.

What you have to remember is:
Buy the right parts, plan and choose your modifications carefully, and don't buy needless things if you are on a budget.

Nissan_Fanboy
06-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Thanks everyone,
I really want to look good, but at the same time sound good and not be known as a slow civic haha.

I'll probably look into the Exhaust, Side Markers, DC header, Sway bars, Short Shifter, Cams, And Look into the Blue Struts or Koni Reds.

Thanks again.
I guess it's better getting input from everyone than going and spending all my money and stuff i don't really need.
Oh and Marvin, did you put in an aftermarket stereo ?

DSM4LIFE
07-22-2009, 11:13 PM
save up for a while. by little things now but save up for the big picture, i did. and now in one week i will be running a boosted gsr eg hatch :)

Nissan_Fanboy
07-23-2009, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by DSM4LIFE
save up for a while. by little things now but save up for the big picture, i did. and now in one week i will be running a boosted gsr eg hatch :)

So, you have made up your mind?
I thought you wanted a sr s13 ?
blah blah blah ?

haha i think i'm going to just save up and drive my civic as is.
Nothing needs to be done really. I might paint my rims, anyone know the best remedy for painting rims? I want to paint them gunmetal grey or a nice gold. send feedback.

I'll be saving up, might even find a cheap 180sx and just start modding, or just go with the sr 240 .
If i was going to do a 240, i would probably do something along the lines of,
-GT28RS
-FMIC
-550cc Injectors
-Exhaust/Intake/
-Megan exhaust Manifold
-Greddy Intake Manifold
-VOLK TE37.

My goal is to have something that looks good, sounds good and can run low 14's high 13's easy.

AutodreamMarvin
07-23-2009, 11:24 PM
Thanks everyone,
I really want to look good, but at the same time sound good and not be known as a slow civic haha.

I'll probably look into the Exhaust, Side Markers, DC header, Sway bars, Short Shifter, Cams, And Look into the Blue Struts or Koni Reds.

Thanks again.
I guess it's better getting input from everyone than going and spending all my money and stuff i don't really need.
Oh and Marvin, did you put in an aftermarket stereo ?

Yes I did.

I can't remember if the wiring was hacked up before, and if I had to hardwire it.

It had a Sony deck in there.

Nissan_Fanboy
07-25-2009, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by AutodreamMarvin

Yes I did.

I can't remember if the wiring was hacked up before, and if I had to hardwire it.

It had a Sony deck in there.

I re wired the speakers in the front because one was cutting out, also the sony deck is still there. The alarm system is really hacked up and there is a fuse wired in somewhere. I'll pm you with the info.

Nissan_Fanboy
08-07-2009, 08:51 PM
UPDATE*

-Megan Racing Drift Spec Exhaust is in the mail. Should be here within a week.

-My rims are sanded down, waiting for a couple coats of primer + bronze paint.

-Wondering about a Megan Racing Header, and will it make that much of a difference.

-Should i get a CAI and replace my SRI ?

403ep3
08-14-2009, 01:22 AM
UPDATE*

-Megan Racing Drift Spec Exhaust is in the mail. Should be here within a week.

-My rims are sanded down, waiting for a couple coats of primer + bronze paint.

-Wondering about a Megan Racing Header, and will it make that much of a difference.

-Should i get a CAI and replace my SRI ?

Have you done any research on the header at all? I think you should hit up honda-tech or any other honda website and see what they say about it first. When I installed my race header I felt a difference in hp, it was nice =) As far as the SRI to CAI, I don't think you'll see that much of a difference. Maybe 2hp?

sr20det
08-14-2009, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by 403ep3

Have you done any research on the header at all? I think you should hit up honda-tech or any other honda website and see what they say about it first. When I installed my race header I felt a difference in hp, it was nice =) As far as the SRI to CAI, I don't think you'll see that much of a difference. Maybe 2hp?

Honda-tech +1 ftw .
Yea, and with fall/winter coming up. The SRI will be alot safer bet than a CAI. As far as sucking up water goes.

I have a ricey, Ractive setup on my d15, i took the lower tube off, put the filter on the pipe off of the intake. E-sentionally a short ram. Did not notice any power ( mind you the piping isnt routed to be a SRI )..but my exhaust is bit more throaty....still slower than a snail on a rainy day on a 90deg slope, but i love my exhaust note, none theless. :rofl:

if you want a little ommph in your honda..from my understanding the motor you have has vtec...IF im right, then find out what side Vtec is on...Either intake or Exhaust...If i remember correctly it is intake. IF it is..then improve the exhaust more than you would the intake....If it is exhaust..which i doubt..but may be.....then improve that side more.......Go as far as getting a cam/cam gear, intake, and header...maybe custom mid-pipe, cat delete? maybe? No further, if you plan on rockin a s13.

My reasoning is..because....Whatever side vtec is on ( intake im 80% sure ) flows more air right. So if you improve the exhaust flow slightly more than the intake, you increase the VE, from my calculations....at least thats what my spidey sense tells me. :eek:

Nissan_Fanboy
08-14-2009, 01:02 PM

Honda-tech +1 ftw .
Yea, and with fall/winter coming up. The SRI will be alot safer bet than a CAI. As far as sucking up water goes.

I have a ricey, Ractive setup on my d15, i took the lower tube off, put the filter on the pipe off of the intake. E-sentionally a short ram. Did not notice any power ( mind you the piping isnt routed to be a SRI )..but my exhaust is bit more throaty....still slower than a snail on a rainy day on a 90deg slope, but i love my exhaust note, none theless. :rofl:

if you want a little ommph in your honda..from my understanding the motor you have has vtec...IF im right, then find out what side Vtec is on...Either intake or Exhaust...If i remember correctly it is intake. IF it is..then improve the exhaust more than you would the intake....If it is exhaust..which i doubt..but may be.....then improve that side more.......Go as far as getting a cam/cam gear, intake, and header...maybe custom mid-pipe, cat delete? maybe? No further, if you plan on rockin a s13.

My reasoning is..because....Whatever side vtec is on ( intake im 80% sure ) flows more air right. So if you improve the exhaust flow slightly more than the intake, you increase the VE, from my calculations....at least thats what my spidey sense tells me. :eek:

The reason i ask about the CAI is because i'm afriad that its hurting my engine sucking in hot air, but the CAI has the chance of sucking in water, which i do not want. About Vtec, yes its on the intake side. I don't not want to modify the internals at all with this car. I want it to be a safe daily driver. I know if i don't its still gunna be a slow SOB, but whatevs :P. The CAI would just add another +200 onto my build that i don't really need. Since i got the SRI for free, i'm pretty happy, but i have another question. I see alot of people rockin the stock air tube, then just putting a K&N filter on the end of it. Since my SRI is 3'' piping, it doesn't give me any power in the lower side. I've noticed that my car kindof "bogs" or so between 1-3K when i step on it, but with my stock airbox it never really did, but i have felt a bit more power towards higher rpms, above 4-6.5k (since i don't redline). So, what all can i do to imporve the vtec on the intake side? I have the Megan Racing Catback on its way, should have been here by now, god damn UPS. 115 to have it !DRIVEN! here... its been like a week already, CAMMMON !
I'm pretty much going for looks on this build. I want to find either some nice GT3's or some 15-17'' Rota Circit 10's in bronze, some sidemarkers, JDM fogs, maybe a spoon style lip and get rid of ALL the little rust chips, especially in the wheel wells. Anyone have experience on getting rust out of wheel wells ? I absolutly hate it, i know its only small right now, but i don't want it too progress. My dad thinks i'm nuts for worrying over soemthing so little. xD

403ep3
08-15-2009, 01:29 AM
BTW, what size is the drift spec you're putting on your car? I hope you didn't get anything larger than 3" lol.

So you're thinking mostly show, a little little go?

just turbo that thing. Turboing a D is much cheaper than my K =(

Nissan_Fanboy
08-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by 403ep3
BTW, what size is the drift spec you're putting on your car? I hope you didn't get anything larger than 3" lol.

So you're thinking mostly show, a little little go?

just turbo that thing. Turboing a D is much cheaper than my K =(

2.5'' Piping to a 5'' Muffler and a 4'' Tip.
3'' piping is insane, way to big for a NA

heis
08-23-2009, 03:13 PM
im gunna eat you

Nissan_Fanboy
08-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by heis
im gunna eat you
why are you gunna eat me ?

streethondas
09-05-2009, 10:51 PM
hey bud, im in fowler just down the block from you, if you need any help just let me know lol

im going to come drop by ur school and check ur car out lol

Nissan_Fanboy
09-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by streethondas
hey bud, im in fowler just down the block from you, if you need any help just let me know lol

im going to come drop by ur school and check ur car out lol

haha alright, i usually park in the superstore parking lot where everyone else parks.
I wont be putting any money into my car from now on seeing as i have some unwanted debts to pay off before i can start. May take me awhile to pay them off.