PDA

View Full Version : New Ride

94boosted
06-15-2009, 11:16 PM
Hey Guys,

I just picked my self up a brand new 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt SS-Turbo. I was never a big domestic guy, my favourite car for the longest time was the Subaru STi and I was planning to buy a used 05-06 for the longest time. That was until I read the November issue of Car and Driver when I read just how well the Cobalt SS did against some very quick cars, beating some far more expensive cars around a track like the STi, EVO, ISF, Chalenger SRT8, BMW 135i, VW R32...... (Please don't jump in here and say that so and so smokes this car around a different track or in a quarter mile because I'm not trying to argue that this car is unstoppable, it is just very impressive in what it can do especially when you consider the price) And I started doing lots of research and started falling in love with the car more and more. And when I went in to the dealership and found out I could get 0% financing for 60mo and my first two months free (thanks to GM's student bonus program) I was sold.

It's fully loaded with LSD, Read-Out performance Display w/ Shift Light, Sunroof, Aero Wing Spolier and comes standard with some really cool stuff like a Borg Warner Turbo, Front Mount Intercooler, Brembo Brakes, 18" Alloy Rims, Pioneer Sound System w/ Sub.....

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j174/94boosted/IMG_0526.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j174/94boosted/IMG_0522.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j174/94boosted/IMG_0542withBlackedOutPlate.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j174/94boosted/IMG_0529.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j174/94boosted/IMG_0537.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j174/94boosted/IMG_0539.jpg

EM1FTW
06-15-2009, 11:19 PM
congrats on the new ride man!
not a huge fan personally, but with the circumstances you mentioned, the purchase makes sense to me!

JordanAndrew
06-15-2009, 11:19 PM
congrats, that car pulls pretty hard. It should be a fun drive.

wes_v
06-15-2009, 11:25 PM
Nice ride overall, You could have made a better choice on the interior :dunno:

Disoblige
06-15-2009, 11:34 PM
Nice! "Door Ajar" :D
Haha Speedo till 260, I likes

4doorj
06-16-2009, 12:00 AM
Congrats on the car:thumbsup:
Can't deny the performance on that thing, you will have fun with that car for sure:burnout:

TheCheff
06-16-2009, 12:06 AM
How much did u have to put down?

HiSpec
06-16-2009, 12:07 AM
that external LCD screen on the pillar, is that factory?

Destinova403
06-16-2009, 12:09 AM
wow nice car... the new SS is very impressive in the numbers it puts down, especially considering the limitations of the base cobalt

its going to be fun :burnout:

Wrinkly
06-16-2009, 12:50 AM
Congrats! Nothing like getting a 'new' car, eh?

Love the two tone interior!

:thumbsup:

syeve
06-16-2009, 01:04 AM
Nice ride! Congrats!

jongc
06-16-2009, 08:40 AM
Nice color, a friend gave me a ride with the same car, awesome acceleration, congrats!

bundi
06-16-2009, 08:40 AM
Sweet Cavalier! :poosie:
I kid, I kid :P

I think I like the interior.. not the greatest pics though. I was reading up on Cobalt-SS's the other day and was pleasantly surprised at the numbers. Ecotecs can supposedly make 1000+whp relatively reliably from what I have heard...

IncredibleToad
06-16-2009, 08:48 AM
I'm not a huge fan of GM products myself but I knew this one might be one to look for. I like the LCD mounted on the pillar heh, like it was asked before, is that part of a package from the factory?

What was the final cost OTD for this? PM

jongc
06-16-2009, 08:52 AM
The no lift shift and launch control with this is going to be great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el8_PMf0Zak&feature=PlayList&p=F995028CF0E8CD6A&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=49

Aleks
06-16-2009, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by HiSpec
that external LCD screen on the pillar, is that factory?

Yes.

Mags say this is the best handling FWD car on the market today. :thumbsup:

403Gemini
06-16-2009, 09:00 AM
Tell me how the no-lift shifting is! I think all cars should be made with it now! Keep your gas pedal down and shift gears, i think thats how it's supposed to work lol.... if you break your car dont blame me!! ;) j/k

I had the 06 supercharged, it was fun to drive in and I miss some of the features it had over the subaru (small things like auto locking doors, headlights automatically adjuster to how dark it is, stereo will tell you what song it is 8 times out of 10, etc).

heavyD
06-16-2009, 09:05 AM
Congratulations on a solid purchase! That display is a nice touch, even brembo brakes.:)

hampstor
06-16-2009, 09:07 AM
Congrats on the new ride!

SCHIDER23
06-16-2009, 10:20 AM
:thumbsup: Congrats on the new Ride I like the color nice choice.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-16-2009, 10:23 AM
Looks nice! Congrats, hope you enjoy it.

speeed
06-16-2009, 10:30 AM
congrats on the new ride. enjoy!

Critical
06-16-2009, 10:30 AM
Interior is nice. :poosie:

I would like to see black rims on this beast.

a social dsease
06-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Thats a nice car. Used to think cobalts were lame but I have to say I'm pretty impressed by it!

riander5
06-16-2009, 10:39 AM
Nice ride!! I have the exact same but a supercharged one!! I love mine and I can only imagine how much sweeter the turbo ones are! I always wondered if the S/C and T/C had the same suspension set up, because magazines never seemed to test the S/C as seriously as they have the Turbo model. Those brembo's looks so much better than my big plain steel brakes!

ZorroAMG
06-16-2009, 11:21 AM
A lip instead of that spoiler would be my only change to start the mod process, other than that, great car, congrats.

Freestylin
06-16-2009, 11:46 AM
SoOOOooooOOoooooo......

From what I remember....I let you test drove my new car.....get where I am going at..punk??

GQBalla
06-16-2009, 12:06 PM
ni9ceee

freshprince1
06-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Nice choice, congrats. Nice to see a good domestic sport compact. You should hold a Meet, and let all of us Beyonder's take it for a spin!

403Gemini
06-16-2009, 04:28 PM
One question, did they fix the turning radius on the 09's? My 06 had a worse turning radius than my buddies truck :thumbsdow

Finally got a chance to look at your pictures (couldnt on my work computer) ... the changes to the interior are hot! :drool:

B4tMan
06-16-2009, 04:44 PM
Fast and good buy. Too bad they don't make automatics.

Nissan_Fanboy
06-16-2009, 05:28 PM
Congratz,
there pretty quick too.
Have Fun :thumbsup:

Darkane
06-16-2009, 05:47 PM
Sweet ride man.

You should get your hands on the stage1 upgrade asap before it's gone.

It'll get your car to 290hp and 340Tq I think.

Last I checked price was 595USD! A fucking steal!

That's Small block LS1 power lol!

redsrt4
06-16-2009, 05:47 PM
nice. its time to buy aftermarket parts.. check modernperformance.com

badluck
06-16-2009, 05:54 PM
thats cool that LCD screen is factory, how much quicker are these than the supercharged cobalts?

KRyn
06-16-2009, 06:03 PM
TomG get 1000kms on that baby so I can drive it hard!

:D

403Gemini
06-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by badluck
thats cool that LCD screen is factory, how much quicker are these than the supercharged cobalts?

S/C cobalts were 205 hp, i believe the T/C'd ones are 260, better suspension as well, better brakes, etc. The improved the T/C'd ones quite a bit over the S/C ones. A stage 2 S/C'd one only nets about 250 hp total.

guessboi
06-16-2009, 06:56 PM
nice new ride. congrads! didn't know they have the lcd screen from factory. :thumbsup: smart buy!

FiveFreshFish
06-16-2009, 07:14 PM
I'd black out the gold Chevy bow ties.

blinkme_210
06-16-2009, 07:19 PM
Aside from the new CTS-V, and Corvette, this is probably the most love Beyond has ever given to any current GM car.

Nice ride. Congrats!

Jeremiah
06-16-2009, 07:20 PM
sick

what are the monthly payments on that thing?

nonlinear
06-16-2009, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
A lip instead of that spoiler would be my only change to start the mod process, other than that, great car, congrats.

yea, i'm not a fan of giant spoilers at all. they look ugly, and i haven't been convinced of performance increase for street driving. at any rate, that's an awesome car! nice to see that you're bucking current 'fashion' trends and appreciating nice domestic work!

EDIT: just looked at the pics again, and have to say the interior is pretty sporty and awesome for a stock car. nice buy!

Drsuce
06-16-2009, 08:07 PM
Great buy! I have always been a fan of the SS, however have never liked the dash on them :/ that tacky silver has GOT to go! You should have purchased the stage 1 kit on the bill of sale, as you would have got a full 3/60 warranty along with it!

I wonder how long GM will continue to make the SS as GM performance division has been axed.

badluck
06-16-2009, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

S/C cobalts were 205 hp, i believe the T/C'd ones are 260, better suspension as well, better brakes, etc. The improved the T/C'd ones quite a bit over the S/C ones. A stage 2 S/C'd one only nets about 250 hp total.

good to see that mechanically its changed for the better, and as far as the aesthetically they didnt mess with a good thing. not a huge gm fan but ive always had respect for there performance division

Ekliptix
06-16-2009, 11:42 PM
Hmm, interesting. I wonder what I could get one for paying cash. What dealership did you go to?

94boosted
06-16-2009, 11:51 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: WOW THANK YOU BEYOND!!!

It is so nice to hear so many very nice comments from some fellow automotive enthusiasts :thumbsup:

Well I will answer as many of the questions as I possibly can from memory.

LCD Screen - Yes this is a factory option it's called a Read Out Performance Display and it replaces the boost gauge which comes on these cars stock it is basically a boost gauge, air fuel ratio gauge, spark advance gauge, and engine power gauge amongst others all in 1, you can select which gauge you want to view and which other parameters of the engine you would like to be informed of such as air intake temp, coolant temp.... Awesome piece and I'm glad I got it.

Interior - I absolutely love the color scheme of this interior I think it has just the right amount of red, not too much. The inserts in the middle of the seats are actually a black suede like material which looks good too, and the seats are very well bolstered.

Price - Sticker on this one was about $29,600 + Taxes and Dealer Fees I negotiated about $1000 off the price + got my first 2 months payments for free because I'm a recent grad and got them to throw in a free synthetic oil change lol I dealt with a guy named Mike at Southgate Chevrolet and he was a great guy to deal with even though he probably didn't like me much because I don't think he made too much money off me lol.

Brakes - The front brakes are 4 piston 13" brembo units, the rears are just 12" single piston vented units and the whole car stops on a dime, very impressive braking system.

No-Lift-Shift - Haven't tried this out yet because for the first 1000km's I have to break the engine in gently but from what I've read its a great feature, how it works is you keep your foot on the gas and just operate the clutch and the gear lever and the ECU uses an algorithm to prevent the engine from over revving during the shift however you have to be in competitive mode on the traction control system which brings me to my next point.

Launch Control - When you put the Traction Control in competitive mode the vehicle does have a launch control function to help you get consistent launches.

Mods - I will slowly ease into the modding process with this car because it is quite well set up from the factory. In the near future I would like to tint the windows, smoke the tail lights a bit and perhaps either powder coat or paint the rims to a gunmetal color. As for performance I definitely think I will be getting some hard intercooler pipes (stock ones are just plastic) and the GM Stage 1 kit when it comes out in Canada (not sure if it's out in Canada yet) or if not I will probably just get an Intake, Down Pipe and a Tune of sorts.

Domestic - As I had mentioned before I'm not a big domestic guy but I will give credit where credit is due. And I think GM is a great company and I do firmly believe that they will recover and come out stronger than ever especially considering some of the cars they have produced as of late such as the Corvette ZR1, Cadilac CTS-V and the Cobalt SS-Turbo amongst others and ones that are to come soon such as the Volt. Out of the Big 3 GM is by far my favorite domestic company and being a former Chrysler employee myself for almost 3 years I can say that with confidence. I test drove a VW GTI, Caliber SRT-4 amongst others and this car seemed to have the best bang for the buck. But I will always love imports and the Subaru WRX STi is still a car that I would really like to own one day. :angel:

Well thanks again for all of the comments from everyone :clap:

Aleks
06-17-2009, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by Ekliptix
Hmm, interesting. I wonder what I could get one for paying cash. What dealership did you go to?

Last month they had a $4k incentive on them if you paid cash + whatever else you could negotiate.

The sedan version of this car is such a sleeper.

94boosted
06-17-2009, 10:27 PM
^ I believe they still do have the same option, it was cheaper for me to get $0 off @ 0% so I did it that way because there interest rate when you take the 4K off is around 8%. But if you had a good interest rate from the bank and you got the 4K off that would be a killer deal.

TrailBlazerSS
06-18-2009, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
I'd black out the gold Chevy bow ties.

...+1

City_Rider
06-18-2009, 10:38 PM
Nice ride Tom.

Kinda funny that the one time I look on Beyond and the one thread I click on is your 'New Ride'...

Later!

jazzyb
06-22-2009, 11:44 AM
congrats on the new car. Not my fav personally, but thats why we all don't drive the same car!

Hope you enjoy it!

dino_martini
06-22-2009, 03:30 PM
Congrats. The Cobalt SS is definitely one of the better performance bargains out there.

94boosted
08-04-2009, 10:57 PM
An update:

Had the car for a couple of months now and I put about 4000km's on it so far and I just wanted to make a post on my thoughts about the car for anyone who may be interested in a SS-Turbo or who likes these cars in general.

This past long weekend I had the opportunity to go to Salmon Arm BC which is about a 6 hour drive from Calgary, my first real highway drive on some fun roads with this car. I'll start of by saying I was pleasantly surprised. The car handles far better than I had expected and I wasn't pushing it too hard because of traffic, but the drive was definitely a spirited one. The acceleration that this little EcoTec Turbo 2.0 gives is impressive, definitely quicker than my old Talon with a 4G63-Turbo was. The car is rated at 260 crank horsepower from the factory however a lot of the guys that have dynoed these cars find that they are putting down around 250FWHP so the 260 is a bit underrated. And the car hits peak Torque of 260 ftlbs at just 2000rpm so the low end grunt is definitely there. Overtaking cars came with ease I didn't even need to downshift but when I did, it took off like a rocket surprised myself once when I looked down at the speedo and it was about 50kmh higher than I had thought I was going. Which brings me to my next point the brakes, they are superb the front Brembo's do a great job of shedding speed in a hurry and they resisted fading completely (they do however produce A LOT of brake dust lol) the rear brakes are just a 12.5 inch ventilated single piston unit with el-cheapo pads so I ordered some Hawk HPS pads to slap on the rear just to give them a bit more bite (this comes as a highly recommended mod from all the guys at cobaltss.net). When it came to the turns the car was a dream very nice tight and responsive steering and firm suspension, the car felt like it was riding on rails the stock tires are really good however down the road I think I will upgrade to some Dunlop Direzza's. I can totally see why this car set the Front Drive record on the Nurburgring now lol. It even returned half decent gas mileage at about 8L/100km with spirited driving.

In the city the car is good, the suspension is quite firm so all of the potholes and bumps on our fantastic Calgary roads are amplified and can get annoying (as I'm sure many beyonders know). It's a quick car that's for sure it's surprised some people thinking it's just a Cobalt or the old Supercharged version ;) The gas mileage in the city is ok at around 10.5L/100km again with spirited driving.

In the near future I want to upgrade the IC pipes from the stock plastic to aluminum and a high flow down pipe (the stock exhaust is great flowing the downpipe is the biggest bottleneck) and I really can't wait for the GM Stage 1 Kit to come out because that will add another ~40hp and ~60ftlbs and give the car a little bit of an extra edge. I think the car looks pretty good stock but I do want to tint the windows a bit, do some debadging and get the rims painted a gunmetal color and perhaps do some CF work down the road.

Well that's my review of the car so far for those that are interested I hope you found it somewhat useful and I will try to do another update down the road when winter hits and I have some snow tires on the car. And when I start auto crossing the car hopefully next summer.

Carl64
08-05-2009, 09:57 AM
I have the equivalent to the ss/sc (Ion Redline). Even just with my blower its a quick little car! Congrats on the purchase even if I am a few months behind, I love the SS/TC's.
Good luck in the winter, it can get fun at times heh.

Redlyne_mr2
08-05-2009, 12:50 PM
Cool car for sure.. congrats man