PDA

View Full Version : coolant leak

Furious Nick
06-16-2009, 10:10 AM
Need some help.

91 SW20 has been leaking coolant. checked the rad hose and cap - seems fine.

Only leaks when the engine's hot. I want to flush the system any way but would like to find the cause of the leak first.

Anyone have a similar problem or know what the cause may be?

any suggestions on how to fix it?

Thanks

Furious

5000Audi
06-16-2009, 10:16 AM
get your system pressure checked.. would be easyer and safer way to find the leak, rather then chance getting burned.. but once shes cooled down just jack up the ass end and look around, usually coolant dried a nice lime green too so finding the leak might be pretty easy or also could be pretty hard

avishal26
06-16-2009, 02:37 PM
Don't mean to hijack the thread but I was just wondering if its normal for the radiator cap to just pop off . It happened yesterday on my dad's intrepid. I think the dealership flushed the coolant 8 months ago approximately so maybe they didn't tighten it?? Cause it seems to be fine now.

Also, is it okay to add some of the universal coolant to the system, the original is a red colour but the bottle I bought says it can be added safely to any system...

Thanks in advance.

Redlyne_mr2
06-16-2009, 03:37 PM
One of my coolant hoses is "sweating" basically a small tear has been slowly getting larger and larger. The tear however is not big enough to allow massive amounts of coolant to leak out, it just slowly drips maybe once a week. It's the lower rad hose and it basically failed (samco junk). I'll be getting that replace this weekend.