PDA

View Full Version : Prepare for a breakaway series... the official FIA statement

rage2
06-16-2009, 10:13 AM
FIA says £40m budget cap going ahead:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76244

The full statement from the FIA:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76254

haha ya, can't see FOTA backing down now lol. What a slap in the face by the FIA, not to mention very Jerry Springer of them haha.

buh_buh
06-16-2009, 11:29 AM
after all that bs the FIA still goes through with it.
Here comes Indy-IRL the sequel.

Team_Mclaren
06-16-2009, 12:43 PM
Im cheering for a breakaway series. But how fast can they possibly have that setup and ready to go next year?

rage2
06-16-2009, 12:49 PM
The best part was last week, Max urging the teams to drop the conditions, and he "promises" he'll work through it with the teams to give them what they want. You'd have to be retarded to fall for that one haha.

This will be a lot different than CART vs IRL. IRL had the Indy 500, which kept it alive (there's no single F1 race, not even Monaco that draws extra audiences like Indy). CART teams were allowed to race at Indy as well, so there were big names that raced helping IRL a bit.

Also, big teams from CART defected to IRL because of mismanagement of CART, including a race that was cancelled because the speeds were too fast on a high banked superspeedway, which led to its eventual demise. I think CART lost a lawsuit to that too. That was pretty much the last time I followed CART since all the big names left.

CART was killing IRL until all that crap happened.

rage2
06-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
Im cheering for a breakaway series. But how fast can they possibly have that setup and ready to go next year?
They've been privately planning it for several months now. The logistics are huge, and I dunno if they can pull it off. I'm not sure which sanctioning body would take care of it, or TV stuff. It's a LOT of contracts and red tape to get things sorted out properly for next year.

FIA, FOM, and CVC (which really owns it all) will collapse fairly quickly if there's no big names racing in F1 next year, so chances are they'll cave in very fast, ask to run the new series with the F1 brand, and make a little off it (instead of taking pretty much ALL the money today). CVC will be the big loser here... F1 is valued at around 5-8 billion dollars today, which is 12-20% of CVC's assets. Pretty brutal hit for a private fund haha.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by rage2

They've been privately planning it for several months now. The logistics are huge, and I dunno if they can pull it off. I'm not sure which sanctioning body would take care of it, or TV stuff. It's a LOT of contracts and red tape to get things sorted out properly for next year.

I dont know if they could sort out the logistics and everything by next season. Just thinking about the amount of stuff that would have to be taken care of boggles the mind.

ryanallan
06-16-2009, 01:01 PM
i read last week that the FOTA approached the organizers of motoGP. seems like a good idea . . .

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090608195413.shtml

HHURICANE1
06-16-2009, 01:15 PM
DORNA knows how to organize events every bit as big as F1. Moto-GP is HUGE in Europe bringing in audiences as big or bigger than F1 does. Just the same sh*t different pile.

Chris Elyea
06-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Hmmm, looking at this from another perspective, if FOTA and FIA do both manage to run, we'll have twice as many races to watch!

Maybe Canadian and U.S. GP's again?

kenny
06-18-2009, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Chris Elyea
Hmmm, looking at this from another perspective, if FOTA and FIA do both manage to run, we'll have twice as many races to watch!

Maybe Canadian and U.S. GP's again?

Montreal may be back next year:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2009/06/18/montreal-f1-grand-prix.html

Team_Mclaren
06-18-2009, 12:40 PM
I would assume that all the current F1 tracks has contacts with FIA, but will they be able to host races for the breakaway series?

Even then, there are quite a few world class tracks that will not be hosting F1 races next year, Paul Ricard, Magny-Cours, Silverstone, Indy, Montreal etc.

Chris Elyea
06-18-2009, 12:51 PM
I would assume that all the current F1 tracks has contacts with FIA

Oh, there will be lawsuits, lots of 'em! That's what's next, assuming no last minute deal. FIA/FOM already claim to have contracts with Williams, Ferrari, Red Bull, and Toro Rosso that run through the 2011 season. Williams agreed, giving that as their reason for signing on unconditionally. Ferrari has already lost one suit against the FIA over the budget cap.

Yeah, there are a lot of world class tracks out there. Bernie has been having fun playing them against each other, so they'll welcome some competition for him.

mischief
06-18-2009, 04:58 PM
Confirmed.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76292

I really don't know how F1 can survive without all the factory teams. The FOTA is very true in saying that the teams have made F1 what it is.

Cos
06-18-2009, 06:29 PM
update on "The Sun"

Formula 1 on brink of collapse
FORMULA ONE was in meltdown last night after eight of its 10 teams confirmed they are to form a breakaway series.

Their decision will cause the greatest controversy and upheaval in the sport's 60-year history.

Following a meeting late in the evening, the eight teams that currently form the Formula One Team's Association - Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, Toyota, BMW Sauber, Brawn GP, Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso - have all declined to enter F1 for 2010.

The row started last year as FOTA disputed the FIA's plans to enforce budget and technical changes in 2010.

Despite weeks of negotiations with FIA president Max Mosley, the two bodies have failed to find a compromise, leaving the sport in total chaos.

A FOTA statement said last night: "It has become clear, the teams cannot continue to compromise on the fundamental values of the sport.

"Since the formation of FOTA last September the teams have worked together and sought to engage the FIA and commercial rights holder Bernie Ecclestone, to develop and improve the sport.

"Unprecedented worldwide financial turmoil has inevitably placed great challenges before the F1 community.

"FOTA is proud that it has achieved the most substantial measures to reduce costs in the history of our sport.

"But these teams have no alternative other than to commence preparation for a new championship which reflects the values of its participants and partners.

"The major drivers, stars, brands, sponsors, promoters and companies historically associated with the highest level of motorsport will all feature in this new series."

source: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/motorsport/2489978/Formula-1-on-brink-of-collapse.html

Akagi Redsuns
06-18-2009, 07:25 PM
Press release is now on the FOTA website. Nice going FIA.

http://www.teamsassociation.org/press-release/2009-06-19/press-release

Mibz
06-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Don't blame this entirely on the FIA. There's an equal amount of stubbornness on both sides of the argument and each party is just trying to look out for their best interests.

B4tMan
06-18-2009, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by kenny

Montreal may be back next year:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2009/06/18/montreal-f1-grand-prix.html

and they will be booted the year after that .

Coming back to the topic, both sides need a bigger piece of the bone in this intricate argument. FIA is not the only culprit.

Team_Mclaren
06-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Actually, FOTA's latest offer to FIA is very reasonable. The main issue is Max Mosley and the governing body of FIA. FOTA is tired of this shit happening every year so they are demanding stability which Max Mosley fails to compromise.

Im excited to see which tracks will feature the new series!!

cycosis
06-18-2009, 09:42 PM
Great, the one year ill be in Europe PLANNING ON ATTENDING F1 races.... no teams will be around to watch. Fuck

Mibz
06-18-2009, 09:55 PM
Actually, FOTA's latest offer to FIA is very reasonable. Link.

Team_Mclaren
06-18-2009, 10:07 PM
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090617124225.shtml

Chris Elyea
06-18-2009, 10:12 PM
Ecclestone has also threatened legal action against anyone who attempts to sign any of the current circuits and promoters under contract to FOM (Formula One Management).

Is it too late to take a run at Law School?

Mibz
06-18-2009, 10:42 PM
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090617124225.shtml I didn't see anything in there that was beyond what the FIA already offered. Independent watchmen were already part of the deal. Either they're not telling us the whole story or the FIAs proposal is just as reasonable.

EDIT: And Max is right when he says that the teams have had months to talk about Concorde revisions but are just now bringing them up when there's not enough time.

This feels a lot like Balsille vs NHL. Everybody wants FOTA to win, but they're going about this the wrong way.

kenny
06-18-2009, 10:46 PM
8 teams announce breakaway championship:

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/SPORT/06/18/formula.future.alternative/index.html

Mibz
06-18-2009, 10:55 PM
I'll put $50 on the breakaway not running a 1st season and $500 on them not running a 2nd.

Team_Mclaren
06-18-2009, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Mibz

ok so what are you saying? the FOTA agreed to the "budget cap" and yet FIA rejected their proposal.

It's no longer about the budget cap which FOTA compromised on. FOTA wants governance provisions changes in the new Concorde Agreement (which offered to be drafted and signed in 2 weeks) in which cast means NO MORE MAX. Of course Mad Max rejected cause he wants another term as the man of FIA.

The best part was last week, Max urging the teams to drop the conditions, and he "promises" he'll work through it with the teams to give them what they want. You'd have to be retarded to fall for that one haha.

This is exactly what's happening, by rejecting FOTA's proposal and entry extension of 2 weeks Max wants everyone to signup by friday unconditionally. Which means FOTA will have to accept everything FIA decides from there onward.

edit:
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2009/06/04/max-mosley-is-wrong-the-only-split-f1-needs-is-a-break-away-from-him/

good read

Mibz
06-18-2009, 11:21 PM
FOTA wants governance provisions changes in the new Concorde Agreement (which offered to be drafted and signed in 2 weeks) in which cast means NO MORE MAX. Of course Mad Max rejected cause he wants another term as the man of FIA. FOTA had, like I said, months to make changes to the Concorde if they wanted to. Now they're doing it at the last second? They used a rule regarding timing of rule changes against the FIA and now they're pulling the same shit themselves, albeit within the rules. It's a hardball tactic and nothing more. FOTA isn't offering anything sensible, nothing that will "save the sport". They're not doing things the right way, they're doing things the Italian way. They somehow think they'll succeed by riding a public relations train.

Good luck with that.

edit:
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2009/06/04/max-mosley-is-wrong-the-only-split-f1-needs-is-a-break-away-from-him/

good read It's a biased hunk of puff. There was nothing but "It's Max's fault the teams are leaving and he should be bending over backwards to get them to stay.".

EDIT: Again, I need to reinforce that I don't like Max either, and it would be a joy to see him go, but FOTA is going about it the wrong way and in THIS SPECIFIC situation Max has done nothing except defend rule changes that, as of yet, have no objective flaws.

Team_Mclaren
06-18-2009, 11:35 PM
FOTA had, like I said, months to make changes to the Concorde if they wanted to. Now they're doing it at the last second? They used a rule regarding timing of rule changes against the FIA and now they're pulling the same shit themselves, albeit within the rules. It's a hardball tactic and nothing more. FOTA isn't offering anything sensible, nothing that will "save the sport". They're not doing things the right way, they're doing things the Italian way. They somehow think they'll succeed by riding a public relations train.

hmmm i think you got that backward... 2010 rules were posted in Feb, which included the budget cap AND the two tier system which was absolutely failure of a "plan". Rules were posted without consulting any of the current teams.

It's all Max trying to play the im the boss game and expects everyone to follow his retarded rules (KERS being one of them, one which cost teams millions of dollars and fails).

rage2
06-19-2009, 04:57 AM
I'll put $50 on the breakaway not running a 1st season and $500 on them not running a 2nd.
I'll take that bet. :D

Ya, it's been summed up by the other members already, no more Max, more money goes to F1 teams and not to Bernie who's got a retarded 99 year deal for next to nothing in a buddy deal with Max years ago.

This is good for us. Instead of FOM taking a huge chunk of money to service it's debt, it'll go to the teams so they can survive and fund itself even when times are bad and sponsorship is drying up. It means that we'll get investments into HDTV broadcasts. Can you believe that it's 2009 and F1, the pinnacle of sports and technology, broadcasts in SD? :nut:

Just got back to the hotel room, and holy shit, it's all over CNN, BBC. Top story everywhere.

Chris Elyea
06-19-2009, 09:30 AM

Me too! The media has been equating this with CART/IRL. It's nothing like that, as neither of them had the money we're talking about here. The world economy is in recession and FOTA is fighting to be able to spend more than the US$60-million/team the FIA wants to limit them to. With that kind of spending ability, I don't see how the FOTA series would have trouble surviving.

The FIA's Formula 1 should survive, too. They have many other successful series that spend much less, they just don't get the same publicity. FOTA is probably right about saying that with reduced spending it will resemble F3. I'd gladly watch that, but I doubt anybody will show it.

rage2
06-19-2009, 09:43 AM
Definately nothing like the IRL/CART days. With FOTA starting a new series, the F1 brand will be worthless (along with FOM, CVC, etc). Within a year or 2, they would be able to easily buy out the F1 franchise for cheap and bring the name back to their series. At that point, the teams that are in FOTA (sorry Williams + Force India, you fucked yourself) will be able to generate a healthy profit being in F1, and will stay for a long time.

cycosis
06-19-2009, 10:00 AM
So why is force india not included in the breakaway? I assume they want the budget cap?

Trini
06-19-2009, 10:02 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8109846.stm

FIA to sue over breakaway attempt

Formula 1's governing body, the FIA, says it will begin legal proceedings over plans to set up a rival world championship next year. The F1 Teams Association (Fota) said on Thursday that eight of its major teams were planning to set up a rival championship for the 2010 season. But FIA lawyers say the actions of Fota as a whole and Ferrari, in particular, amount to breaches of law. They say they will issue legal proceedings without delay. The statement added: "The actions of Fota as a whole, and Ferrari in particular, amount to serious violations of law including wilful interference with contractual relations, direct breaches of Ferrari's legal obligations and a grave violation of competition law. "Preparations for the 2010 FIA Formula 1 World Championship continue but publication of the final 2010 entry list will be put on hold while the FIA asserts its legal rights." Delaying the publication of the entry list gives the parties room for manoeuvre as they search for a compromise over the issue. The row centres on plans by world motorsport boss Max Mosley to introduce budget cap proposals. Mosley wants to introduce a voluntary £40m budget cap for teams to curtail a "financial arms race" in F1. Fota say they, too, are committed to cutting costs, but refused to agree to his conditions. It prompted championship leader Brawn GP, Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, Toyota, BMW Sauber, Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso to take their drastic action. Brawn GP team owner Ross Brawn said that at the moment the relationship between the teams and the FIA was 'difficult'. "The teams' ambition is not to take over F1, but they have a massive investment in it," he said. "They want their investment protected." Asked if Mosley going would solve the problem, Brawn said: "It's in no way a condition of the conditional entry the Fota teams have made. "It's not something the Fota teams are pushing for or asking for. It has not entered discussions." However, Mosley told the BBC that he was confident there would be one Formula 1 world championship next season. "We had to take legal proceedings. That's all part of the process, but the moment they come to their senses that will all stop," he said. "This is posturing and posing and it will stop before the start of 2010 and the first race of next season in Melbourne and settle down. "They can't get the backing they need and will come back." Brawn, McLaren team boss Martin Whitmarsh and Red Bull's Christian Horner have refused to comment on the FIA's legal threat saying they had only just been informed of it and had not seen the details.

Team_Mclaren
06-19-2009, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by cycosis
So why is force india not included in the breakaway? I assume they want the budget cap?

they removed their conditions for the 2010 entry while all that shit was still going on which means they're banished from the FOTA.

MV has said today that he could still move over to the breakaway series. So i guess nothing is set in stone.

cycosis
06-19-2009, 12:07 PM
If there was a breakaway series, where do you think the technology would go? Removal of KERS? Back to 2008 aerodynamics?Those cars were way sexier...

DJ Lazy
06-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by cycosis
If there was a breakaway series, where do you think the technology would go? Removal of KERS? Back to 2008 aerodynamics?Those cars were way sexier...

What?! 08 cars were fat, ugly, and way to many winglets etc... 09 Cars are way better, well at least the Mclaren, Brawn, Ferrari, Red Bull...

Anyways... I'm just sitting back watching this all... Too many meeting, letters, reports, etc to keep up with... :nut:

cycosis
06-19-2009, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy

What?! 08 cars were fat, ugly, and way to many winglets etc...

I agree on the winglets, the BMW team cars looked like X-Wings though! So awesome!

Chris Elyea
06-19-2009, 08:21 PM
'Canada's one time Formula One champion Jacques Villeneuve told the BBC Friday that both sides in the dispute should tread carefully. "If you have something that's strong and powerful and you cut it in half, it becomes less than that half. It becomes nothing."

But FIA president Max Mosley is "completely confident" a break from the circuit will not actually come to pass, predicting sponsor pressure will end the revolt.'

I still don't get it. This isn't CART/IRL and it isn't Coke/New Formula Coke either. Nothing is being cut in half. All the current racing teams (with a collective budget of around $3-billion), except those whose lawyers have advised them not to (for the next 2 or 3 years at most), have abandoned the regulatory and marketing agencies. Formula 1 as it presently exists will be completely replaced by FOTA's new series. What sponsor, besides those that Bernie successully sues, is going to want to associate with F1 when FOTA's series is around?

CBC News - "Formula One suing racing teams for threatening to pull out of circuit" (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/06/19/formula-one.html)

Mibz
06-19-2009, 11:31 PM
hmmm i think you got that backward... 2010 rules were posted in Feb, which included the budget cap AND the two tier system which was absolutely failure of a "plan". Rules were posted without consulting any of the current teams. Sorry, I'm not sure what this is in response to. I was referring to FOTAs successful delay of the "Winner take all rule" and comparing it to what they want to do with the Concorde agreement. Nothing to do with the 2010 rules.

I agree it's garbage that the teams weren't consulted regarding the rules, but they were introduced in February, plenty of time for the teams to get together and fight this properly. Instead we only heard official opposition about a month before teams are required to sign. I think FOTA strategically waited, thinking that their bluff wouldn't be called, and it bit them in the ass. Now they're too proud to cave to Max (Not saying that's a bad thing!) and are splitting.

I still think they went about it the wrong way and this lawsuit is proof of that. The FIA and FOTA are both financial powerhouses and they'll just keep throwing money at the courts until somebody caves.

I dunno, I feel better about this split than I did last night (Sorry for being so heated there Team_McLaren) but, until I see their proposed rules and financial structure, I don't see how it'll be much better having 8 assholes running the show instead of 1.

Team_Mclaren
06-19-2009, 11:45 PM
Sorry, I'm not sure what this is in response to. I was referring to FOTAs successful delay of the "Winner take all rule" and comparing it to what they want to do with the Concorde agreement. Nothing to do with the 2010 rules.

I agree it's garbage that the teams weren't consulted regarding the rules, but they were introduced in February, plenty of time for the teams to get together and fight this properly. Instead we only heard official opposition about a month before teams are required to sign. I think FOTA strategically waited, thinking that their bluff wouldn't be called, and it bit them in the ass. Now they're too proud to cave to Max (Not saying that's a bad thing!) and are splitting.

I still think they went about it the wrong way and this lawsuit is proof of that. The FIA and FOTA are both financial powerhouses and they'll just keep throwing money at the courts until somebody caves.

I dunno, I feel better about this split than I did last night (Sorry for being so heated there Team_McLaren) but, until I see their proposed rules and financial structure, I don't see how it'll be much better having 8 assholes running the show instead of 1.

No its a good discussion dont get me wrong, im just trying to provide you with facts so you wont feel so lost.

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090619174626.shtml
this is a good read of how it went down month by month, FOTA wanted nothing to do with the shitty rules from day one since they was posted.

As for 8 assholes running the show instead of 1. Remind yourself that those 8 assholes are the REAL players of the game, they particulate in the series. Right now, its nothing more than MAX power tripping and fucking the current teams over.

bashir26
06-21-2009, 12:25 PM
MAX power tripping and fucking the current teams over.

That's what happens when 1 person has had the power seat for 20 years now?

Mibz
06-21-2009, 01:41 PM
FIA drops legal action, Mosley wants to talk (http://www.f1technical.net/news/12731)
It appears that FIA President Max Mosley finally understands that the breakaway teams are serious. The Briton said on Sunday that the FIA will not proceed with legal actions against the FOTA and that he is open to talks with the rebel teams.

Max Mosley said to BBC Sport this afternoon: "We are talking to people all the time. It will all be back to normal, it's just a question of when. We are very close. What divides us and the teams is minimal and really is something we could sit down and iron out very quickly.

"We have said to the teams we are ready to do this. Now it may take them a little time to get to the position where they want to, but when they do, we are ready."

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090619174626.shtml
this is a good read of how it went down month by month, FOTA wanted nothing to do with the shitty rules from day one since they was posted. Awesome link! Thank you. I have to leave before finishing it but I'll edit my thoughts into this post.

EDIT: Okay, you were right, I definitely didn't have all the facts. I was unaware that negotiations had been happening since the introduction of the rules, nor did I know of the external support that FOTA carried. I thought that the new series would be funded solely by the teams.

I still have a hard time convincing myself that FOTA is doing this the right way, but I assume (being relatively new to this) that they've been trying it the right way for years now.

rage2
06-21-2009, 02:05 PM
FOTA already responded. They've said all that they have, there's no more talks with Max. They are doing a breakaway series, and whatever Max says is "close" is lies. There is no more talks between FOTA and FIA.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76458

Chris Elyea
06-21-2009, 07:15 PM
The plot thickens! FOTA may escape Bernie, but they're stuck with Max due to European law. Of course, even Canada changed the law (tobacco advertisting) for F1, so who knows...

If the proposed series comes to fruition, Mosley said he has informed FOTA that the FIA would still be the rival championship's ultimate regulator because of a deal struck between it and the European Commission.

"It's absolutely correct, we said that to them," Mosley said. "If they start a new series it would have to run under the sporting code and we would have to give them consent, providing it was safe and fair."

That was acknowledged by Brawn team principal Ross Brawn.

"You would need a regulatory body," Brawn said. "Ironically, I think the agreement with the European Commission is that the FIA has to offer to do that to any competitive series that wants to set up.

"So, the FIA have to offer to at least be the regulatory body, but they may not be the body that sets the rules. The rules can be determined by some other mechanism. If you want, the FIA can run the series for you. They can provide the stewards, the (scrutinizers) and things of that nature. So, that is available if FOTA wants to take it up."

quoted from this Canadian Press story on the TSN Web site (http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/story/?id=282489)

rage2
06-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Yea, but they can have their own rules, and their own commercial agreements. FOTA gets what they want, same as fans. Max and Bernie would be powerless. The FIA sporting code is simply definitions and guidelines on how to run a racing series, nothing more.

Chris Elyea
06-23-2009, 09:33 AM
Let's hope the FOTA series can attract contemporary talent. Singapore is bringing in Chaka Khan and the Backstreet Boys.

Backstreet Boys, Chaka Khan to headline Singapore entertainment - Formula1.com (http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/6/9548.html)

rage2
06-23-2009, 09:37 AM
Most people won't care... F1 fans are usually there for F1. KISS played the '08 Australia GP and nobody showed up. :rofl:

Pacman
06-24-2009, 09:12 AM
I guess all the posturing worked:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76495

Chris Elyea
06-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Pacman
I guess all the posturing worked:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76495

They're saying everybody got what they wanted - it's a win-win-win. Looks to me like Max lost it all. And Bernie's still in the money. Hmmm.... Well, on to the next crisis!

ryanallan
06-24-2009, 11:54 AM
so from what i have read, the changes are :

mosley steps down in october
2010 rules will be the same as 2009
spending will be reduced to 1990 levels over the next 2 years (williams won the championship in 1992 on a budget of 32 million euros)
the 3 new teams next year get technical help from existing manufactures

CAMPOS META TEAM -- CAMPOS COSWORTH
MANOR GRAND PRIX -- MANOR COSWORTH
TEAM US F1 -- TEAM US F1 COSWORTH

i wonder how the teams are going to cut their spending ??
assuming ferrari currently spends 500m per year, they will have to figure out how to operate on at least 400m less then they currently do !

rage2
06-24-2009, 05:58 PM
They're saying everybody got what they wanted - it's a win-win-win. Looks to me like Max lost it all. And Bernie's still in the money. Hmmm.... Well, on to the next crisis!
Kinda... FOTA didn't get the money they wanted. Fans won't see cheaper seats or classic tracks anytime soon, FIA didn't get to push their extreme cost cuts, and the new teams won't have an advantage.

FOM is the big winner here, they don't really do much, invest little in infrastructure (fucking STILL no HD), and just rake in 600m a year.

I still think the biggest losers are the fans in this deal. Kinda sucks for us.

Chris Elyea
06-24-2009, 06:14 PM
I still think the biggest losers are the fans in this deal. Kinda sucks for us.

Yep, despite what FOTA said about two-tiered racing, we've had it already for a long time: those with lots of money and those with not so much.

I, too, cannot see how they will cut hundreds of millions from their budgets. I rather expect that requirement will disappear not long after Max.

Mibz
06-24-2009, 07:35 PM
I still think the biggest losers are the fans in this deal. Except for the $50 you and Chris owe me. *cough*

Seriously though, I don't think anybody is surprised. This kind of insane anti-climax is what I've come to believe F1 is all about.

Cos
06-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Just read the official press release. Like how the mosley announcement is at the bottom in a tiny blurb.

BYE BYE MAX, Hope you kept some Nazi and FIA money. :guns:

good.... fucking....riddance.

Chris Elyea
06-25-2009, 12:36 PM
Except for the $50 you and Chris owe me. *cough*
Heh heh heh! I was wondering when you were going to bring that up.

Seriously though, I don't think anybody is surprised. This kind of insane anti-climax is what I've come to believe F1 is all about.
I am embarrassed to admit that I was so excited about possible big changes that I was surprised. You're right again, that was a textbook F1 build-up and anticlimax. Next I'll be betting FOTA will really help the new teams and they'll be competing for podiums.

Originally posted by Cos
Just read the official press release. Like how the mosley announcement is at the bottom in a tiny blurb.
Isn't that the best? Like it's a little thing of no consequence they almost forgot to mention. And Max is all, "Well, I was planning to retire anyway, you know, I just had to see the FIA through this crisis. Now I can retire with a clear conscience." Every time I think of that guy, the image of him butt naked having tea with his hookers just pops into my mind. He's all class.

bituerbo
06-25-2009, 01:03 PM
Every time I think of that guy, the image of him butt naked having tea with his hookers just pops into my mind. He's all class.

Why whatever do you mean?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQf9MmRE5L4

rage2
06-25-2009, 03:46 PM
Will have that $50 for ya when I get back in town.

I seriously thought FOTA was going to do it, owning the series, and basically pocketing $600m instead of giving it to CVC. That's an extra $75m per year per team, if divided equally. That's the same as major sponsor money.

DJ Lazy
06-25-2009, 04:45 PM

I seriously thought FOTA was going to do it, owning the series, and basically pocketing $600m instead of giving it to CVC. That's an extra $75m per year per team, if divided equally. That's the same as major sponsor money.

Didn't think you were a betting/gambling man?? ;)

Chris Elyea
06-25-2009, 07:45 PM
Don't pay him just yet...Max ain't ready to go quietly!

Mosley demands apology from di Montezemelo or deal is off (http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/story/?id=282878)

I guess it just wasn't like F1 to settle things that easily!

Mibz
06-25-2009, 08:06 PM
Hahaha. Double or nothing that Del Monte apologizes before Sunday.

DJ Lazy
06-25-2009, 10:06 PM
Hahaha. Double or nothing that Del Monte apologizes before Sunday.

I'd stop while your ahead.... cuz you ain't winning in the pool! :devil: :rofl:

Mibz
06-25-2009, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy
I'd stop while your ahead.... cuz you ain't winning in the pool! :devil: :rofl: I should start placing some pretty questionable picks in there just in case there's a huge turn 1 catastrophe one day.

Chris Elyea
06-26-2009, 03:00 PM
Go Max go! Mibz, I hope you haven't spent it all yet....

Mosley says FOTA breakaway still a possibility (http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/story/?id=282950)

Team_Mclaren
06-26-2009, 03:04 PM
^^ noth will come to it, max just wants to save face, Montezemolo has more power than him at this point

Sugarphreak
06-26-2009, 03:24 PM

Chris Elyea
06-28-2009, 03:52 PM
It's not Max's fault. He really wants to retire, but the people are asking him to stay on as president.

(Isn't that what dictators always say?)

TSN/Canadian Press: Mosley to run again by popular demand? (http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/story/?id=283141)

FurryFragile
06-28-2009, 05:12 PM
Montezemolo is more powerful than him right now. You can see where its gonna go

cgyman97
06-28-2009, 05:14 PM
max is a typical euro slimeball. utterly classless in every regard. best to just ignore him.

go fota

Mibz
07-08-2009, 01:46 PM
So FOTA walked out of a recent meeting and has threatened another walk-out because they want the 8 FOTA teams to make the rules without the consent of the other teams (FI, Williams, new entrants). Williams and FI left FOTA (or were suspended) because they had to sign early to ensure their livelihood and now FOTA is saying that they have no right to a voice in coming up with the new rules.

Part of their agreement with the FIA is that the rules revert to pre-Apr. 28 2009 rules which include the requirement for unanimous approval from teams for a rule change. This rule is also in effect now and the FIA is saying that until the other teams can agree, it's not happening. Now unless the FIA's connections with Manor have the team intentionally disagreeing with rules (Which I doubt) then there's really no reason that FOTA shouldn't be working with the other teams.

Unless new information is released, I think this is bullshit. I said it before, FOTA are the same as the assholes running the show now, there's just 8 of them.

EDIT: And here's the new information :P

"During the course of this meeting, the team managers were informed by Mr Charlie Whiting of the FIA that, contrary to previous agreements, the eight FOTA teams are not currently entered into the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship and have no voting rights in relation to the technical and sporting regulations thereof. So yeah, nevermind. FIA sucks, yadda yadda yadda.

Chris Elyea
07-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Never a dull moment! I couldn't have seen this coming. Like I said before, don't spend that money yet, buddy!

So Max is staying put and FOTA is not entered for 2010. Seems to me there was a guy in WWII that made peace deals and then sneak attacked. I'm not going to say who, but I think you might know him very well!

Mibz
06-17-2010, 12:42 PM

Me too!
Almost exactly 1 year later I have received payment from Chris's wife (bow chicka wow wow). Meanwhile the other broke-ass motherfucker who lost the bet has yet to pay up.

Don't trust the Chinese.

Chris Elyea
06-18-2010, 09:40 PM

Almost exactly 1 year later I have received payment from Chris's wife (bow chicka wow wow).

Yeah well, I guess I could have paid you earlier, but you know, I just didn't want to. Rage paid up on the bet he lost to me a long time ago, so maybe he just doesn't like you.

Mibz
06-19-2010, 08:09 AM

Yeah well, I guess I could have paid you earlier, but you know, I just didn't want to. Rage paid up on the bet he lost to me a long time ago, so maybe he just doesn't like you. Hahaha, Jess told me the -real- story, don't worry.

And yeah, fuckin' guy pretends to like you, then you get friend-zoned and he starts treating you like a piece of shit. I foresee a therapy group for rage's ex-friends.