PDA

View Full Version : issues with laptop LCD screen

nonlinear
06-16-2009, 10:49 AM
Hi,

yesterday I closed my laptop lid and when I came back, the screen was not backlit. I could see the windows, etc. if I looked really close, but it looked like the screen was not on. I closed and re-opened the lid and it flicked on a couple of times, but I had to do it like 5 or 6 times before it would stay on. This morning, when i booted up I had the same problem. I opened and closed several times and now it's staying on.

does this mean my LCD is dying?

eblend
06-16-2009, 05:20 PM
No means your inverter is going most likely. Replace the inverter, it sits right below the LCD. For most laptops it is around $40 dollars in parts, get it on ebay, easy swap

nonlinear
06-16-2009, 07:18 PM
do I have to take the lid apart for that?

also, is there a good place to look up the part number? the laptop is a toshiba m50-yk4.

thanks

eblend
06-17-2009, 06:34 AM
http://shop.ebay.ca/items/?_nkw=m50+inverter&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=m50-yk4+inverter&_osacat=0

Yes you have to take apart the lid, but it is simple. Undo a few screws (which may be under rubber covers which you have to remove), rest of it snaps into place. Unpop it from its holds and you will see the inverter with 2 cables usually, input and output, unplug the connectors and do the inverter swap, and thats all, put it back together