PDA

View Full Version : So much for global warming...LOL

89coupe
06-16-2009, 11:31 AM
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Environment/2009/06/15/9799901-ap.html

Photos of the glacier.

http://www.rutasur.com/en/images/stories/Picture%20029.jpg

http://www.tucantravel.com/listing_images/Perito_Moreno_Glacier_vast.jpg

http://www.nwpphotoforum.com/ubbthreads/JM_Pieces/2008_Articles/eksner/5d_3958.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2132/2054725401_f5a7231b27_b.jpg

scat19
06-16-2009, 12:13 PM
Pretty pictures!

brown_guy
06-16-2009, 12:16 PM
:dunno: Looks like its melting ?

01RedDX
06-16-2009, 12:20 PM

toyboy88
06-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

Seems pretty simple, it's an isolated case. :dunno:

Now take a look at our Columbia Glaciers and see how quickly they've receded in the last 50 years.

:werd:

Beautiful pics tho.

89coupe
06-16-2009, 01:24 PM

Now take a look at our Columbia Glaciers and see how quickly they've receded in the last 50 years.

You do understand that the whole 'global warming' theory is a political agenda, and no one in the real science community believes it for even a second.

msommers
06-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
no one in the real science community believes it for even a second.

LOL

01RedDX
06-16-2009, 01:38 PM

95EagleAWD
06-16-2009, 02:09 PM

The Columbia Icefield has been in retreat for about 6000 years now.

forkdork
06-16-2009, 02:16 PM

You do understand that the whole 'global warming' theory is a political agenda, and no one in the real science community believes it for even a second.

You do understand that making blanket statements abou the "scientific community" makes you an idiot... right?

You fail.

01RedDX
06-16-2009, 02:17 PM

forkdork
06-16-2009, 02:20 PM

That's right, now look at the rate of acceleration in the last 50.

Word. More concern should be given to the increasing rate of glacial retreat.

alloroc
06-16-2009, 02:22 PM

We've been down this road already.

No. global warming is real.
Saying that man is the cause of it ... complete BS.

Lock this thread quick before we get more pics of asians playing in sand.

stretch
06-16-2009, 04:49 PM

:rofl:

I would ask what qualifies you to make such a statement, but then again, why ask a question for which you already know the answer.

:closed:

arian_ma
06-16-2009, 04:54 PM
You guys are seriously delusional if you think that a couple of factories and some cars can outdo the Earth and it's massive, ongoing processes.

Now, deforestation, the killing of endangered animals, and the rape and pillaging of the land for natural resources that's currently going on is more of an issue if you ask me.

ipeefreely
06-17-2009, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by alloroc

Originally posted by arian_ma
You guys are seriously delusional if you think that a couple of factories and some cars can outdo the Earth and it's massive, ongoing processes.

Now, deforestation, the killing of endangered animals, and the rape and pillaging of the land for natural resources that's currently going on is more of an issue if you ask me.

Probably this!:werd:

We are still in an ice age... poles still have ice caps! :nut:

Humans over Mother Nature FTW!:rofl:

CokerRat
06-17-2009, 10:10 PM
Seems that scientists are making some big assumptions about the (lack of) variability in things like ice area. Arctic ice actually increased 30% from 2007 to 2008. Oops.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/15/goddard_arctic_ice_mystery/

Xtrema
06-17-2009, 10:15 PM

Global Warming is so 2007.

It's call Climate Change now because with vague title like that, nobody call prove anybody's claims while government slap carbon tax, environmental levy on every-fucking-thing. It's a tax that everyone will feel good about.

BTW

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25348657-401,00.html

71car
06-18-2009, 06:49 AM

While global warming isn't of a big concern to me - the biggest that sicken me is the way is de-forestation. Look at South America how they treat Amazon forest. Forests are the Earth's lungs. Sure, we try to replant new saplings to replace what we cut down for wood.

Unfortunely, it take YEARS to grow a sapling to the point what the former tree used to be!

:closed:

atgilchrist
06-18-2009, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by CokerRat
Seems that scientists are making some big assumptions about the (lack of) variability in things like ice area. Arctic ice actually increased 30% from 2007 to 2008. Oops.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/15/goddard_arctic_ice_mystery/

Did you read the whole article? The author basically gets ripped a new one, and admits that he was wrong, and that his calculations are wrong. Arctic summer ice was 10% larger in 2008 than 2007.

freshprince1
06-18-2009, 08:54 AM
The theory that Global Warning is coming about becasue of man is joke...also the notion that we can do anything to change it.

alloroc
06-18-2009, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by atgilchrist

Did you read the whole article? The author basically gets ripped a new one, and admits that he was wrong, and that his calculations are wrong. Arctic summer ice was 10% larger in 2008 than 2007.

The Antartic ice pack should get larger if the climate is warming, the same for ultra high elevation glaciers like the one in the OP's post. Those locations are still well below freezing most of the year and if the global climate is warmer there will be more snow in those locations.

01RedDX
06-18-2009, 10:03 AM

CUG
06-18-2009, 04:10 PM

Not exactly. The theory that man does nothing to contribute to the accellerating rate of warming and climate change is a joke.

The mechanism behind atmospheric CO2 effects has been proven clearly, and so has its relationship to emissions and deforestation.

This is something about which most people don't know, don't care to know or don't want to learn. Compounding the problem is the fact that the movement has been hijacked by political and business interests. Fuck, you sound intelligent sometimes :P

DannyO
06-18-2009, 04:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOOc5yiIWkg

Nuff said :D

Legless_Marine2
06-18-2009, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by alloroc

... or of Glaciers... or sunspots..... Or any other selective, insufficient, and deliberately misinterpreted data points.

Legless_Marine2
06-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by freshprince1
The theory that Global Warning is coming about becasue of man is joke...also the notion that we can do anything to change it.

I love all of the barstool scientists here, weighing in authoritiatively with such painfully facile points of view.

Legless_Marine2
06-18-2009, 08:25 PM

Photos of the glacier.

You go girl.

Little Dragon
06-18-2009, 09:12 PM
http://www.benyami.org/Proof%20of%20global%20warming.jpg

:thumbsup:

msommers
06-18-2009, 09:17 PM

Not exactly. The theory that man does nothing to contribute to the accellerating rate of warming and climate change is a joke.

The mechanism behind atmospheric CO2 effects has been proven clearly, and so has its relationship to emissions and deforestation.

This is something about which most people don't know, don't care to know or don't want to learn. Compounding the problem is the fact that the movement has been hijacked by political and business interests.

You can try to tell people that our planet's processes, it's inhabitants and extraterrestrial bodies can all contribute to climatic changes but they won't listen, nor take the time to understand the mechanisms that have already been theorized or modeled with high regard. Unfortunately, it's these types of people that are the loudest and thus in our society, correct. Dare I say, don't waste your time?

Kloubek
06-18-2009, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by CUG
Fuck, you sound intelligent sometimes :P

I was just thinking that. I don't always agree with everything he has to say, but I think he's spot-on in this case.

Isaiah
06-18-2009, 09:33 PM

This is something about which most people don't know, don't care to know or don't want to learn. Compounding the problem is the fact that the movement has been hijacked by political and business interests.
Well put.

In fact, to deny that hundreds of millions of cars and factories spewing toxic C02 emissions into our atmosphere, as we are simultaneously pillaging the forests that cleanse our planet...

...is akin to believing that there is a magical wizard in the sky who created the earth and sacrificed his son (who incidentally happened to be a water-walker) in order to save the very people who are denigrating the planet that he spent a whole week creating.

mr2mike
06-18-2009, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Legless_Marine2

I love all of the barstool scientists here, weighing in authoritiatively with such painfully facile points of view.

Some of us around here have B.Sc's in Geography and took Climate Change 501.

Major climate change causes are:
Milankovitch cycles
Sunspots

I've argued this to no end with some people. It's NOT anthropogenic reasons as to why the climate is warming.

Also that hockey stick curve that Mr. Gore refers to all the time... the data going into it was botched when they were putting it together.

http://meteo.lcd.lu/globalwarming/Holland/Bias_and_Concealment.pdf

This one is a bit shorter. But was used in my 501 class for arguement.
http://coast.gkss.de/staff/storch/pdf/2005.commenton.myintyre.grl.pdf

alloroc
06-18-2009, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike

Milankovitch cycles
Sunspots

I've argued this to no end with some people. It's NOT anthropogenic reasons as to why the climate is warming.

Also that hockey stick curve that Mr. Gore refers to all the time... the data going into it was botched when they were putting it together.

http://meteo.lcd.lu/globalwarming/Holland/Bias_and_Concealment.pdf

This one is a bit shorter. But was used in my 501 class for argument.
http://coast.gkss.de/staff/storch/pdf/2005.commenton.myintyre.grl.pdf

Yay someone else with a brain. Trust me, when I say we have been down this road before here on beyond I really mean it.

Get ready, here come the sheep chasing the fallacies ...
Baaaaa here is a hockeystick with dates starting in the maunder minimum
Baaaaa CO2 means no forests
Baaaa CO2 levels historically lead temperature change
BAaaaa The polar bears are dying

mr2mike
06-18-2009, 10:11 PM
I also believe, if I remember correctly, that CO2 levels rise and lower AFTER temperature rises or lowers. Not the other way around.

As in, a rise in temperature leads to a rise in CO2 in the atmosphere.
NOT a rise in CO2 leads to a rise in temperature.

Legless_Marine2
06-18-2009, 11:22 PM
I also believe, if I remember correctly, that CO2 levels rise and lower AFTER temperature rises or lowers. Not the other way around.

Typically facile denier thinking.

Never heard of a positive feedback loop, have you?

Legless_Marine2
06-18-2009, 11:22 PM

Milankovitch cycles
Sunspots

Do you have any pictures of sunspots to prove they're causing GW?

msommers
06-18-2009, 11:52 PM

Here's a question then...how did our planet warm up exactly? No way in hell could it have been from the vast amounts of carbon dioxide from volcanic eruptions right.

YamahaV8
06-19-2009, 12:51 AM

Doesn't the term "one of only a few" still mean that there is more than one glacier not affected and therefore not isolated :dunno:
Anyways the Columbia glacier and it's recent recesion is very good example of global warming.

alloroc
06-19-2009, 08:23 AM

Do you have any pictures of sunspots to prove they're causing GW?

You are the one without a leg to stand on.

Everything on the true scientific side has already been presented to you.

I would like to see your proof that the sun does not warm the earth, that plants do not grow faster in a CO2 rich environment, and that the earth's avereage temperature over the last 3.5 billion years is lower than what we see now.

Until then you are just another one of the sheep BAAAAAAA!!

Just what the hell are you doing on beyond anyway.

This is a freaking car forum, have you even ever posted in the automotive section?
I stand corrected, since you joined, what a year and a half ago you have posted 11 times in the car section, what happened? Did you get lost? Accidently let go of the little yellow rope?

alloroc
06-19-2009, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by YamahaV8

Doesn't the term "one of only a few" still mean that there is more than one glacier not affected and therefore not isolated :dunno:
Anyways the Columbia glacier and it's recent recesion is very good example of global warming.

No it is a very good indication of the global cooling during the ice age, from which the earth is still recovering from. The earth's average temperature is SUPPOSED to be warmer than it is now.

01RedDX
06-19-2009, 08:34 AM

mr2mike
06-19-2009, 09:34 AM

Never heard of a positive feedback loop, have you?

I have and they are real. I didn't deny that global warming wasn't happening. I say that it isn't due to human factors.

This all being said, obviously the earth has some way of turning it's warming and cooling trends around. It's been proven in history that it has been a lot warmer and a lot cooler.
Medieval Warm Period for instance (lots of cars driving around back then). Then a movement into an ice age.

Originally posted by msommers

Here's a question then...how did our planet warm up exactly? No way in hell could it have been from the vast amounts of carbon dioxide from volcanic eruptions right.

Scientists say that volcanic erruptions are a cause to the warming seen in the past. This probably coupled with the Milankovich Cycles I was talking about and an increase in sunspot activity on the sun. Remember, they say that millions of years ago, the earth had a lot more volcanic activity. But also the volcano dust and debris is going to prevent sun's rays from entering the earth's atmosphere. So it's all one big system with lots of factors.

msommers
06-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Scientists say that volcanic erruptions are a cause to the warming seen in the past. This probably coupled with the Milankovich Cycles I was talking about and an increase in sunspot activity on the sun. Remember, they say that millions of years ago, the earth had a lot more volcanic activity. But also the volcano dust and debris is going to prevent sun's rays from entering the earth's atmosphere. So it's all one big system with lots of factors.

Now you're on the right track. My biggest problem was when you said this:

which really isn't correct, especially when we're talking about the formation of our initial atmosphere (Hadean Eon) and a later link to life-supporting conditions on this planet. Remember, the Sun at that time wasn't not as big or as strong as it is today, and our planet actually had a chance of freezing if it wasn't for the earth's internal heat and consequent volcanic activity and gassing. Lastly, high volcanic activity was in the millions AND billions of years ago, just look into the Hadeon Eon and younger for example.

Sugarphreak
06-19-2009, 11:51 AM

Legless_Marine2
06-19-2009, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Global warming is just a giant marketing scam and a trendy way to try to make yourself feel better.

Yeah... because the idea of skyrocketing food costs and my city being flooded by refugees from around the world makes me feel so great.

Can't wait to buy the t-shirt to show my support.

arian_ma
06-19-2009, 02:14 PM

Yeah... because the idea of skyrocketing food costs and my city being flooded by refugees from around the world makes me feel so great.

Can't wait to buy the t-shirt to show my support.
So now you're saying you hate helping people who are in need?

DonJuan
06-19-2009, 04:03 PM
I think the biggest problem with any climate change argument is the implication that the Earth's climate is constant.

Any scientist will tell you there is nothing in nature that is constant.

That being said, all this fear mongering and pressure from the sheep ultimately serves the purpose of attention to real problems like deforestation, dumping of hazardous watstes, etc.

So if the global community needs to go on a witch hunt under the climate change banner to bring about changes in the burning of rainforests, and dumping of toxic wastes in poor countries then give me a pitchfork and a torch.

In this case, the ends do justify the means.

On a side note, CO2 is not the epitomy greenhouse gases. Water Vapour and Methane tens of times more effective. I cant remember the actual study, but a single cow produces more greenhouse gases in a month than your evil baby killing Escalade does in a year. And don't get me started on hybrids.

alloroc
06-19-2009, 04:19 PM

So now you're saying you hate helping people who are in need?

Either that or he is saying he is racist.

Remember, he thinks the cause of the Sudanese war is elevated Co2 levels.