PDA

View Full Version : Popcorn Hour

beecue
06-16-2009, 01:17 PM
new model is coming out .. PCH C-200 .. here is some info .. http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=23731&page=1 .. the nicest thing with this one is that it's bluray ready :) .. I just got my a-110 like a month ago but it probably won't be hard to sell it .. no price or firmware details yet

RealToyCars
06-16-2009, 02:10 PM
This is awesome! It looks even closer to an audio component than its predecessors (front and back).

I also noticed the miniPCI MII interface for 11n WiFi card (optional) listed under Network in the specs. It'll be nice to have the WiFi directly connected rather than an external USB adapter.

I've been in the planning stages of setting up a multi-TV home theatre system, and the Popcorn Hour A-110's were on my list. I guess I'll just wait a little longer for the C-200's.

old&slow
06-16-2009, 04:39 PM
Will watch this to see if it's a little more stable.

muqtada123
06-16-2009, 04:55 PM
what is this all about?

RealToyCars
06-16-2009, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by muqtada123
what is this all about?

Popcorn Hour is a branded product for the Networked Media Tank technology, which is a Digital Media Adaptor (DMA), Network Attached Storage (NAS), Media Server and Torrent downloader built into a single low cost computer appliance.

If you're looking for an inexpensive Media Server but didn't want to configure or manage a full PC, and would rather maintain something simpler, this is the box.

You can run one as a Media Server if you add a hard drive to it, and download or stream content from the Internet.

Or you can run it as a media extender if you already have a media server or a separate NAS set up. If you have something like Vuze running on a PC or Mac to download media torrents, you can play those media files being served from Vuze through the Popcorn Hour device.

If you have TV's in other rooms, add a Popcorn Hour device to that TV and connect it to your home network via wired or WiFi, and you can play media files from the main Popcorn Hour device, or from a NAS or media server that you already have set up.

I'm planning on configuring a PC for a full-blown media server in my home theatre space, then add 2 Popcorn Hour devices for the other 2 TV's in my house. One will be connected to the home network via gigabit ethernet cable because I want to stream HD movies to it, and the second one will be connected via WiFi because it's too hard to get ethernet to it.

I hope this helps you understand what "this" is all about.

beecue
06-22-2009, 12:03 PM
So it's going to be $299 US in July, probably $350 CDN or more. Not sure if it's worth moving up from A-110 because you would still have to buy a bluray drive. :dunno:

http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/index.php?pluginoption=productspec&item_id=12

RealToyCars
06-22-2009, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by beecue
So it's going to be $299 US in July, probably $350 CDN or more. Not sure if it's worth moving up from A-110 because you would still have to buy a bluray drive. :dunno:

I think it's definitely worth it when piecing together a system from start.

You can also find cheap blu-ray drives out there...
http://shop.brando.com.hk/panasonic-blu-ray-slim-combo-super-multi-drive_p03472c0359d066.html

I have a friend with this blu-ray. When I get my C-200, I'll give it a try to see if it works.

UndrgroundRider
06-23-2009, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by beecue

http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/index.php?pluginoption=productspec&item_id=12

I tend to agree. The A-110 does virtually everything I would ever need it to. The only real upgrade that interests me is the faster processor. When I page items on the A-110 there is a noticeable delay while the next page of items is rendered.

beecue
01-07-2010, 02:32 AM
Popbox is coming out in March for $129 US. It will probably be the best media player pricing wise. I've heard the C-200 isn't that great though.

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/2010/01/05/syabas-unveils-the-popbox-hd-network-media-adapter/

old&slow
01-07-2010, 06:32 AM
^will be interesting to see where they go with the ads on that thing...I don't think many people will be pleased about that when there are other media player options available. Asus oplay is coming in a second gen configuration as well.
These players keep getting better!

Tik-Tok
01-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by old&slow
^will be interesting to see where they go with the ads on that thing...I don't think many people will be pleased about that when there are other media player options available. Asus oplay is coming in a second gen configuration as well.
These players keep getting better!

Hopefully it's more modifiable.

I bought the o!play before xmas, and the video is awesome, but man, trying to get to my video folders takes forever, and there's no easy way to make a shortcut.